PDA

View Full Version : Sports Call tonight

Pages : [1] 2

Beavis
26/04/2004, 9:07 PM
A caller on Des Cahill's show this evening,who lived in North England said he knew 3 Irish Internationals well,2 of whom were picked for the Poland squad but had pulled out because of Roy's return :eek:
If he was telling the truth(and Des seemed to have good reason to believe he was) this could signal the beginning of a split within the team and have serious impliations for the future of the current squad....

davyboy
26/04/2004, 9:24 PM
A caller on Des Cahill's show this evening,who lived in North England said he knew 3 Irish Internationals well,2 of whom were picked for the Poland squad but had pulled out because of Roy's return :eek:
If he was telling the truth(and Des seemed to have good reason to believe he was) this could signal the beginning of a split within the team and have serious impliations for the future of the current squad....

Well if there are players out there deciding not to go because of roys return. they are doing the exact same as roy did by walking out because of a disagreement in the camp. how deos that help. (muppets). Forget about it and lets try and and get to this world cup together

Footie_Fan
26/04/2004, 9:48 PM

Some random bloke in England says that he knows 2 players pulled about about Roy. :rolleyes: Who is he? How does he know this? etc. Rubbish I'd say.

This is exactly what is wrong with the whole Keane issue. People passing on third, fourth, fifth hand stories to each other.

1MickCollins
26/04/2004, 10:24 PM
Des was hardly convinced of his credibility, the guy has delusions of grandeur.

Link to the audio d/l so you can judgefor yourself :

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/audio_weekend.html

Bernard O'Byrne was also on the show in adition to the usual cro-mangons from outside Cork.

It's becoming a big yawn. :(

petef
26/04/2004, 11:29 PM
Quite an interesting show, guy on the phone had some interesting comments to make whether they be true or not.

ElSieteSecretos
27/04/2004, 8:44 AM
its is all speculation !the fact is Roy is back and let that be the end of the matter :)

drummerboy
27/04/2004, 8:47 AM
I'd say it was probably Breen and McAteer he was talking about.

finlma
27/04/2004, 9:00 AM
I'd say it was probably Breen and McAteer he was talking about.

No huge loss if it is true.

petef
27/04/2004, 9:01 AM
You could counter his argument as Given obviously doesnt like Keane but is still in the squad. I think its just a case of a **** time to have a friendly with so much at stake for clubs.

Plastic Paddy
27/04/2004, 9:12 AM
You could counter his argument as Given obviously doesnt like Keane but is still in the squad. I think its just a case of a **** time to have a friendly with so much at stake for clubs.

Exactly. Brian Kerr referred to Sunderland explicitly when talking about clubs needing their players for the play-off race, and let Paddy Kenny stay at Sheffield United for exactly that reason. It's all a storm in a teacup from lazy journos who think they've nothing to write or talk about now that RMK has pulled out.

:) PP

Dodge
27/04/2004, 9:58 AM
Anything that drives McAteer out of the squad has to be good.

This sjust sounds like the usual ********.

"I heard Roy Keane ate a baby once" Must be true...

Greenbod
27/04/2004, 2:35 PM
Anything that drives McAteer out of the squad has to be good.

Why? Christ people's memories are short! A goal against Holland away. A goal against Holland at home. Sure you could argue he practically dragged us to the World cup single handedly!!

McAteer is so eager to play for his country that he'll actually fake fitness to get in the team!

Dodge
27/04/2004, 2:50 PM
McAteer is so eager to play for his country that he'll actually fake fitness to get in the team!
Well its not his country for a start....

Greenbod
27/04/2004, 2:57 PM

I'ts as much his country as it could possibly be yours.

Plastic Paddy
27/04/2004, 2:59 PM

Come on Dodge, that's out of order. He's played with distinction pretty much every time he's represented OUR country. The fact that he's four-way qualified doesn't dilute one bit his claim to a shirt nor the contribution he's made for Ireland.

:ball: PP

Dodge
27/04/2004, 3:18 PM
and how exactly is he qualified?

Greenbod
27/04/2004, 3:19 PM
and how exactly is he qualified?

Because he's Irish :rolleyes:

Dodge
27/04/2004, 3:22 PM
And how is he Irish?

finlma
27/04/2004, 3:28 PM
Sure you could argue he practically dragged us to the World cup single handedly!!

And I will argue. I think you'll find it was our good friend Roy Keane who dragged us to the World Cup.

Paddy Ramone
27/04/2004, 3:29 PM
Well Jason McAteer has a good Irish surname anyway.

Greenbod
27/04/2004, 3:31 PM
And I will argue. I think you'll find it was our good friend Roy Keane who dragged us to the World Cup.

And I think you'll find we started all the qualifiers with 11 players. Some of them even played in the tournament after getting there!

Dodge
27/04/2004, 3:34 PM
Why? Christ people's memories are short! A goal against Holland away. A goal against Holland at home. Sure you could argue he practically dragged us to the World cup single handedly!!

And I think you'll find we started all the qualifiers with 11 players. Some of them even played in the tournament after getting there!

It seems some have shorter memroies than others.

Anyway back to how he qualifies for Ireland?

Greenbod
27/04/2004, 3:36 PM
And how is he Irish?

By birth, by FIFA eligibility rules, and according to the Irish government who gave him a passport.

Plastic Paddy
27/04/2004, 3:37 PM

Anyway back to how he qualifies for Ireland?

AFAIR, he has two Irish grandparents, one from the north and one from the republic. He also has a Welsh grandparent and as we all know was born in Liverpool. Hence the four-way qualification.

Why did he choose Ireland? Probably 'cos we're better than the rest... ;)

:) PP

tiktok
27/04/2004, 3:39 PM
IMO McAteer has been a great servant, he might not be the smartest (cut that pizza into four, I couldn't eat eight slices [allegedly] :D ) and his falling out wth Keane was tabloid fodder for a while but neither of those facts has anything to do with him in an irish shirt where he's put in some great performances.

I think Keane was our outstanding player in the lead up to the 2002 WC, but obviously he was'nt the only player on the field. Even Richard Dunne put in a couple of great performances, but the squad got us there.

The only time I've ever felt let down by McAteer was when he faked fitness in 2002. The goal against Holland to put us in the play-off more than cancels it out.

In fairness Dodge, there have been players less deserving of being called irish, one in our current squad in particular.

Dodge
27/04/2004, 3:55 PM
In my time the players who should never have been given a passport...
McAteer, Paul Butler (worst ever and wouldn't get one now...), Alan Kernaghan and Cascirino.

Read my post on the McGready thread. I have nothing against players born outside the country playing for Ireland. I have no problem with anybody holding dual nationality and being proud of their other nationality (even singing that other anthem) What I have a huge problem is footballers using my country in a bid to further their own career.

Not doubting his efforts whilst in the team but there's no ****ing way he anybody can tell me McAteer's Irish?

Greenbod
27/04/2004, 3:56 PM

I said you "could" argue, not that I would ever argue that any one player alone was responsible for our qualification.

Anyway back to my original question which you forgot to answer (memory problem perhaps?). Why would anything that drove McAteer out of the squad be a good thing?

Greenbod
27/04/2004, 3:57 PM
Not doubting his efforts whilst in the team but there's no ****ing way he anybody can tell me McAteer's Irish?

But I just did :)

Dodge
27/04/2004, 4:01 PM
CORRECTION
There's no way anybody will convince me that McAteer is Irish

Greenbod
27/04/2004, 4:05 PM
CORRECTION
There's no way anybody will convince me that McAteer is Irish

Fair enough. I know when I'm beaten. I can't convince my son that vegetables are good for him either.

Éanna
27/04/2004, 4:53 PM
Can we stick to football and leave the racist comments out of it? :rolleyes:
he has played his heart out for this country and only a very small and petty individual would come out with t the crap you're spouting now Dodge. I thought you were better than that :rolleyes:

NeilMcD
27/04/2004, 4:55 PM
I think if you look up the word racism i dont think you will find what dodge says falls under that. It maybe unfair etc, but its not racist and that is a pretty strong term to be using to somebody.

Plastic Paddy
27/04/2004, 5:03 PM
I think if you look up the word racism i dont think you will find what dodge says falls under that. It maybe unfair etc, but its not racist and that is a pretty strong term to be using to somebody.

What would you call it Neil?

The implication that McAteer is a second-class citizen constitutes racism in my book. Don't forget, there's plenty hereabouts who weren't born on the auld sod and plenty more who have ancestry other than Irish. Jibes like that made by Dodge about McAteer could be applicable to all of us.

:( PP

NeilMcD
27/04/2004, 5:08 PM
read my post i said it was unfair and it maybe not correct but its not racism. racism is when you hate a person due to his race. I dont believe dodge saying that mc ateer is not Irish is racism. YOu may not like it or i may not like it but its not racism

NeilMcD
27/04/2004, 5:10 PM
Racism is prejudice or discrimination based on the belief that race is the primary factor determining human traits and abilities. Racism includes the belief that genetic or inherited differences produce the inherent superiority or inferiority of one race over another. In the name of protecting their race from "contamination," some racists justify the domination and destruction of races they consider to be either superior or inferior. Institutional racism is racial prejudice supported by institutional power and authority used to the advantage of one race over others

Plastic Paddy
27/04/2004, 5:16 PM
Racism is prejudice or discrimination based on the belief that race is the primary factor determining human traits and abilities. Racism includes the belief that genetic or inherited differences produce the inherent superiority or inferiority of one race over another. In the name of protecting their race from "contamination," some racists justify the domination and destruction of races they consider to be either superior or inferior. Institutional racism is racial prejudice supported by institutional power and authority used to the advantage of one race over others

Source? ;)

;) PP

NeilMcD
27/04/2004, 5:18 PM
I did a search on google and that is what came up but check most dictionarys and i dont think you will find what Dodge said was racism. It maybe offensive or not nice but its not racism

WeAreRovers
27/04/2004, 5:33 PM
he has played his heart out for this country and only a very small and petty individual would come out with t the crap you're spouting now Dodge. I thought you were better than that :rolleyes:

How the fack is that racist? You've been listening to Dolan too much.

Wish I'd discovered this thread earlier. McAteer is Scouse scum and is in no way Irish (or indeed a footballer) As for that Holland game which his apologists are bleating about, I think you'll find that a certain Roy Keane won that game almost single-handedly.

And Dodge, you can add Matt "God Save the Queen" Holland to the list of those who should never have been capped.

KOH

Plastic Paddy
27/04/2004, 5:39 PM
McAteer is Scouse scum and is in no way Irish

And Dodge, you can add Matt "God Save the Queen" Holland to the list of those who should never have been capped.

"Scouse scum"? Have you just fallen out of the 1970s or something? :rolleyes: I guess you have, because your language is suggestive of it and you've missed the 50-odd caps McAteer won in the meantime. (For Ireland, in case you hadn't worked it out.) Oh, and the cracking goal Holland scored against Cameroon in the first game of the World Cup 2002.

As for your comment about Holland, there are other threads that explain why he is perfectly entitled to sing GSTQ, even though you might not like it.

:( PP

WeAreRovers
27/04/2004, 5:45 PM
As for your comment about Holland, there are other threads that explain why he is perfectly entitled to sing GSTQ, even though you might not like it.

Yeah, 'cos he's a Brit. ;)

KOH

Neil
27/04/2004, 6:44 PM

:rolleyes:

He's more Irish than you ya Jackeen ****!

Bring Back Mick
27/04/2004, 6:51 PM

KOH

Ah well suppose all us 2nd 3rd 4th generation irish are Brits, likewise the London members who have travelled to Poland..........

finlma
28/04/2004, 8:44 AM

KOH

So what if he's half Irish/ half English. He's perfectly entitled to sing both anthems. I have a friend whose half Irish / half Scottish and he's equally proud of both sides, he struggles who to support when they play each other. Matt Holland is more Irish than Ray Houghton was Irish and I'm sure you wouldn't say anything bad about Houghton.

NeilMcD
28/04/2004, 9:18 AM
Just like to say comments like Scouse Scum and Jackeen **** are as bad as each other.

Dodge
28/04/2004, 10:24 AM
I'll openly admit I'm a petty man when it comes to football. I don't now one fan who isn't. However to call me is rascist is not only wrong but disgusting too and I suggest you apologise. I accept it may be nationalist but we are talking about international football here so I stand by my comment.

:rolleyes:

He's more Irish than you ya Jackeen ****!
Quality reply

If you've read any of my posts here you'll know I'm not against foreign born players playing for Ireland. I don't care how good they are, what race they are or even what their sexual preference is, I couldn't give a **** as long as they're Irish and proud of it.

Now is there anybody here who thinks this is racist?

NeilMcD
28/04/2004, 10:33 AM
I agree that the comment that you are racist or that you made racist comments should be taken back by the people who made it. I argued yesterday that what you said was not racist.

macdermesser
28/04/2004, 11:32 AM
To be fair to Mc Ateer, he was highly rated in his Bolton days and was being tracked by Arsenal and Liverpool at the time. He could have waited for an England call-up which probably would have happened for him at the time. But he declared for us. And scored those two great goals against the Dutch. Does this demarcation of who is Irish and who is not include Ray Houghton and take away from those two legendary goals of his?

I would not call Dodge's comments racist .. its certainly not in the Ron Atkinson league .. but I think it was a petty ill-judged half-throwaway comment..

Éanna
28/04/2004, 6:27 PM
I'll openly admit I'm a petty man when it comes to football. I don't now one fan who isn't. However to call me is rascist is not only wrong but disgusting too and I suggest you apologise. I accept it may be nationalist but we are talking about international football here so I stand by my comment.

Its not a term I use lightly, and I didn't call you a racist. I said your comment was racist, and I stand by that. McAteer qualified to play for ireland and gave his all every time he got the chance- that makes him just as irish as you, me, Tony Cascarino or Brian Boru. Birthplace or accent doesn't bother me- its an attitude and a desire to play for Ireland- McAteer has it, others (I won't mention names) don't. Holland is a different story- I have never once seen him give his all in an irish shrirt- I don't like him as a player or (from what I know) as a person.

Dodge
28/04/2004, 6:32 PM
Explain to me how the comment was rascist?

Éanna
28/04/2004, 6:33 PM
the fact that you arbitrarily decided the guy was not irish constitutes racism in my book