PDA

View Full Version : One of the strangest bannings ever?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jicked
20/08/2010, 3:01 PM
Got a big game coming up? Bring a few plastic bottles!

According to today's Star and Mirror, Gary Twigg will be banned for two games for his celebration in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FWBV2wB0E0

Twigg is already moving towards the Bohs fans after taking his shot, but stops himself 20 yards away and makes no specific or unsporting/crude gestures to the away fans.

Bohs will be fined €150 for throwing the bottles.

So, if true (which I still find very hard to believe), I'd recommend any fans who want to see a particular player banned for an upcoming game to bring a few empty plastic bottles in to the grounds tonight. At Rovers we've had particular trouble dealing with Greg Bolger in recent games against UCD so I'd appreciate any Fingal fans being able to help us out on that front tonight.

Seriously though, if this is true, one of the strangest disciplinary actions taken by the FAI?

I've seen Rovers players do far worse this season alone, and I've seen opposition players do even worse (that's before getting in to what Fenlon supposedly got up to with the Pats fans a few weeks back). I presume other fans have seen worse cases of antagonism in other games this season?

It really does seem that the ban has been issued because he had a load of bottles fecked at him. There's no way this could be upheld, right?

pineapple stu
20/08/2010, 3:11 PM
At Rovers we've had particular trouble dealing with Greg Bolger in recent games against UCD so I'd appreciate any Fingal fans being able to help us out on that front tonight.
Can't; he's suspended for slapping a Bray player a few weeks ago.

Unless he gets bottles thrown at him in the stand, which would be really wierd.

dcfcsteve
20/08/2010, 3:24 PM
After he gets up off the ground he is obscured on the video, and then he's off the video for a few seconds.

It does look from the bit when he's obscured that he's making some for of gesture, but you just can't tell from that footage.

Réiteoir
20/08/2010, 3:25 PM
We should all know by now that video is inadmissible for ANY disciplinary matters within the League of Ireland - for fear of it having been tampered with.

Dodge
20/08/2010, 3:28 PM
Delighted for him. If it means he doesn't do it again, then the punishment has worked. If jucked can trya nd explain away the example above, there's absolutely no doubt twigg has gone out of his way to celebrate in front of other fans in the past.

(and until its announced I won't believe it)

Réiteoir
20/08/2010, 3:31 PM
Delighted for him. If it means he doesn't do it again, then the punishment has worked. If jucked can trya nd explain away the example above, there's absolutely no doubt twigg has gone out of his way to celebrate in front of other fans in the past.

Or it could well be some poor attempt at a retaliatory windup in response to the "Pipe Laying" episode...

Jicked
20/08/2010, 3:42 PM
We should all know by now that video is inadmissible for ANY disciplinary matters within the League of Ireland

So, am I right in saying that the referee would have had to be the one who saw the incident and reported it? Even though he gave a yellow card to Twigg at the time? And also, does the rule that applies in English football (that once punishment has been given out by a referee on the pitch, the same offence can't be retroactively punished) apply in the LoI?

He has. As have dozens of players in this league. As do players in leagues across the world. The punishment for that is usually a yellow card, and not a 2 game ban, especially when it's suddenly introduced 3/4 through a season. Like yourself though I'm extremely bemused by the decision and won't believe it until the FAI announce it.

Jicked
20/08/2010, 3:43 PM
Or it could well be some poor attempt at a retaliatory windup in response to the "Pipe Laying" episode...

Pick up a copy of today's Star or Daily Mirror, both reporting that the FAI Disciplinary Committee met on Wednesday and decided this. If it is a wind-up, it'll have broken in the national press, so is probably not that 'poor'.

redobit
20/08/2010, 4:04 PM
As decent a player as Twigg is, he seems to be a mouthy, finger pointing whingebag when things arent going his way.

outspoken
20/08/2010, 4:10 PM
If he does get suspended for his celebration then I think he is extremely unlucky but like someone said above the camera just moved away for a split second and it looks like he may have made some type of gesture but the bottles were been tossed at that stage but 2 wrongs dont make a right so im really not sure whats going to happen but 150 euro of a fine for throwing tones and tones of bottles onto the pitch is simply not enough.

Hibs4Ever
20/08/2010, 4:18 PM
Delighted, this is far from the first time Twigg has gone out of his way to celebrate in front of opposition fans, and there's absolutely no doubt he gestured towards the Bohs fans just as the camera went away from him. Hopefully he'll get some cop on now, doubt it though

Jicked
20/08/2010, 4:31 PM
How is there absolutely no doubt that he gestured to them? And if he did, which let's face it wasn't more than a clenched fist, if he took his lad out it might just have been mentioned, then a yellow card is according to the rules the correct punishment.

kdjaC
20/08/2010, 9:25 PM
So, am I right in saying that the referee would have had to be the one who saw the incident and reported it? Even though he gave a yellow card to Twigg at the time? And also, does the rule that applies in English football (that once punishment has been given out by a referee on the pitch, the same offence can't be retroactively punished) apply in the LoI?

He has. As have dozens of players in this league. As do players in leagues across the world. The punishment for that is usually a yellow card, and not a 2 game ban, especially when it's suddenly introduced 3/4 through a season. Like yourself though I'm extremely bemused by the decision and won't believe it until the FAI announce it.

Our refs and FAi have their own rules, make them up as they go along.

Honestly some of the decisions you see week in week out are baffling.

Sligo lads 2 footed tackle on Kenna tonight didnt get a free, Byrnes brilliant 1 footed tackle on Ryan gets a yellow.

sundance kid
20/08/2010, 10:22 PM
very dangerous road for the fai to go down here. 2 game bans for celebrating within 10 yards of the opposing fans, and €150 fines for throwing 12 bottles at a player.
i know rovers have the appeal in, and hopefully it will contain video evidence of any player we have on film, in our catalogue of games, who has done similar and got away with it.
the interesting part will be whether the referee has retrospectively put the incident in his match report, or whether the fai acted on a complaint from a steward or fan. if its the former, surely the ref has dealt with the issue on the spot with the yellow card he issued. if it's the latter, let rovers see the evidence, or as i said already, a very dangerous precedent will be set.

PartySaint
20/08/2010, 10:56 PM
Ridiculous decision if true (i will believe it when i see it) He has done nothing wrong, Its all part of the rivalry, Fans give opposition players abuse and if they score they should be allowed celebrate how they like as long as they are not asaulting fans

kdjaC
20/08/2010, 11:59 PM
Ridiculous decision if true (i will believe it when i see it) He has done nothing wrong, Its all part of the rivalry, Fans give opposition players abuse and if they score they should be allowed celebrate how they like as long as they are not asaulting fans

Think the players have a responsibility to not incite fans, we are not allowed show the never relegated banned in tallaght as it "incites" rovers fans, why should players be allowed incite fans in the same stadium.

If i was a rovers player scoring vs Bohs i would be all up in their faces tho :D

PartySaint
21/08/2010, 12:40 AM
Think the players have a responsibility to not incite fans, we are not allowed show the never relegated banned in tallaght as it "incites" rovers fans, why should players be allowed incite fans in the same stadium.

If i was a rovers player scoring vs Bohs i would be all up in their faces tho :D

Thats just the Gaurds being idiots, It should be allowed aswell

Charlie Darwin
21/08/2010, 2:32 AM
Well that should be left up too. Most of the thicks that cause trouble at our games are probably too stupid to remember when we were relegated anyway.

I assume that, if Twigg was indeed banned for an offensive gesture, that the FAI has video footage or some other corroborating evidence. I can't see how a straightforward celebration would warrant a two-game ban.

bennocelt
21/08/2010, 5:57 AM

Exactly, Twigg did nothing wrong. Hate when fans give it large all game, cursing and swearing at players and then start moaning when a players celebrates "near them". Fickle

Hibs4Ever
21/08/2010, 6:18 AM
Thats just the Gaurds being idiots, It should be allowed aswell

No, the Garda were taking the banner down because Shamrock complained about it

Mario
21/08/2010, 8:12 AM
Personally am amazed at what has happened here.

This ban was handed out not based on the referees report, or even the 4th officials report, but on the match delegate claiming to have noticed something. Yep, the person who job it is to check that team sheets are provided to the media and that the ref gets a cup of team at halftime is now getting involved in having players banned.

Twigg didnt go over the top on the day, he merely fell on the ground not far from where he scored and was booked by the ref. I cant see Rovers taking this lying down!

Fans winding up players and players sometimes winding up fans is all part of the attraction of going to games.

People, welcome to the world of the 5th official FAI nanny state reich! :mad:

**FrOsTy**
21/08/2010, 11:00 AM
Can't help but think that if it wasn't against Bohs he wouldn't of been banned.

bingoballs
21/08/2010, 11:54 AM
Got a big game coming up? Bring a few plastic bottles!

According to today's Star and Mirror, Gary Twigg will be banned for two games for his celebration in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FWBV2wB0E0

Twigg is already moving towards the Bohs fans after taking his shot, but stops himself 20 yards away and makes no specific or unsporting/crude gestures to the away fans.

Bohs will be fined €150 for throwing the bottles.

So, if true (which I still find very hard to believe), I'd recommend any fans who want to see a particular player banned for an upcoming game to bring a few empty plastic bottles in to the grounds tonight. At Rovers we've had particular trouble dealing with Greg Bolger in recent games against UCD so I'd appreciate any Fingal fans being able to help us out on that front tonight.

Seriously though, if this is true, one of the strangest disciplinary actions taken by the FAI?

I've seen Rovers players do far worse this season alone, and I've seen opposition players do even worse (that's before getting in to what Fenlon supposedly got up to with the Pats fans a few weeks back). I presume other fans have seen worse cases of antagonism in other games this season?

It really does seem that the ban has been issued because he had a load of bottles fecked at him. There's no way this could be upheld, right?
Poor old Gary Twigg, Michael O Niell and Shams are being hard done by, I think its brought a tear to my glass eye

Dodge
21/08/2010, 1:52 PM
Can't help but think that if it wasn't against Bohs he wouldn't of been banned.

I don't mind that. I mean its obviously a tenser atmosphere tht most games and tbh if he done it against Bray or UCD it'd be slightly embaressing for him

I'd imagine he'll get off in the end. There's been worse cases unreported this year

Rasputin
21/08/2010, 3:12 PM
Also the fact it was on live telly cant have helped.
Was Nutsy and Byrnes performance against Pats caught on camera?

SkStu
21/08/2010, 3:31 PM
Also the fact it was on live telly cant have helped.
Was Nutsy and Byrnes performance against Pats caught on camera?

totally different incident. In almost every way.

Charlie Darwin
21/08/2010, 4:44 PM
Do we know what precisely he was banned for yet?

Dodge
21/08/2010, 4:46 PM
Do we know what precisely he was banned for yet?

We don't even know if he's banned yet

Charlie Darwin
21/08/2010, 4:48 PM
What an odd situation.

**FrOsTy**
21/08/2010, 9:03 PM
totally different incident. In almost every way.

How?? Twigg banned for provoking fans. Nutsy and Byrne verbally abusing/reacting to pats fans or in other terms Provoking Pats fans.

thischarmingman
22/08/2010, 10:38 AM
Exactly, Twigg did nothing wrong. Hate when fans give it large all game, cursing and swearing at players and then start moaning when a players celebrates "near them". Fickle

Exactly. It's all part of football and if a player puts up with abuse all night, it's the best, and the only way he can really respond.

osarusan
22/08/2010, 10:53 AM
We really need to see what this ban is for before we can comment on it. From what I've seen on the video, it's a booking at worst, though I'm not sure it merits even that. If he did make some sort of gesture, the 1-2 seconds he's off camera mean that it can't be ruled out, then we'd need to know what the gesture was. Just as he goes off camera, he does seem to be doing something, but it may have been just a clenched fist.

The FAI will probably say something vague like 'inciting opposition fans' and nobody will be any the wiser.

Jicked
22/08/2010, 5:07 PM
For what it's worth, Dessie Baker gave Pats fans the finger last year after they were abusing him non-stop during a game, that was caught on TV on a live close-up of Baker at the time. No ban was handed out.

BTW, the rule in question is rule 85:
'Any player or official who provokes the general public shall be suspended for 2 matches and sanctioned with a fine.'

I can think of a dozen or so incidents this season alone of a player (and didn't one referee make a comment/gesture to a Galway player?) so why suddenly starting enforcing this so strictly is bizarre.

dong
22/08/2010, 5:27 PM
Another example of the over sanitisation of football. Why wouldn't he celebrate where he did? Ridiculous.
You dish out abuse at a player like Twigg and you always know there is a chance he'll sicken you with a goal. Part of the fun.

SkStu
22/08/2010, 8:29 PM
How?? Twigg banned for provoking fans. Nutsy and Byrne verbally abusing/reacting to pats fans or in other terms Provoking Pats fans.

im surprised i need to point out the difference to you since you've touched on it in your own post. Twigg provoked fans vs. Pats fans provoked Bohs player and manager. Twigg during game vs. Pats fans during post game warmdown. You cant provoke and react at the same time, you react to provocation.

Another example of the over sanitisation of football. Why wouldn't he celebrate where he did? Ridiculous.
You dish out abuse at a player like Twigg and you always know there is a chance he'll sicken you with a goal. Part of the fun.

Agree. Plus i have seen way worse incidents of players "provoking" by celebrating in front of F&G.

stamullendrog
22/08/2010, 8:37 PM
For what it's worth, Dessie Baker gave Pats fans the finger last year after they were abusing him non-stop during a game, that was caught on TV on a live close-up of Baker at the time. No ban was handed out.

BTW, the rule in question is rule 85:
'Any player or official who provokes the general public shall be suspended for 2 matches and sanctioned with a fine.'

I can think of a dozen or so incidents this season alone of a player (and didn't one referee make a comment/gesture to a Galway player?) so why suddenly starting enforcing this so strictly is bizarre.

the bit in bold there if theres a bottles thrown at a ref after a bad decision does he get a two game ban and a fine for provoking the crowd?just a thought like

SkStu
22/08/2010, 8:41 PM
one more thing to say on this.

Players who provoke fans are idiots. Fans who react are idiots. Fans who provoke players are idiots. Players who react are idiots. Football is full of idiots.

monkey9
22/08/2010, 10:15 PM
The only thing i can think of as to why Twigg has been banned is because it's not a once off. He continues to celebrate in front of Bohs fans over the course of a few matches at this stage. He does it in front of Pat's fans as well.

So maybe they just think enough is enough at this stage.

Jicked
22/08/2010, 10:41 PM
You can't ban a player for that. That's like giving someone a two game ban because they consistently give away niggling fouls that are never enough to warrant a yellow card.

He's being banned because an FAI Match Observer, who's job is to make sure clubs supply enough bog roll in the referee's changing room, thought he saw Twigg give a V sign to Bohs fans, even though no-one else in the ground saw this, nor did any TV cameras.

Dodge
22/08/2010, 11:17 PM
Slightly underestimating the role of the match observer there. Any fines handed out for flares, pitch "invasions" etc etc are down to him too.

Rasputin
23/08/2010, 12:31 AM
TBF to the FAI this occasion is the most heated derby in Ireland.
It is a context in which such inflamatory behaviour could lead to serious incidents.
I know its not fair to Shams since we all know nearly every player has done worse it is just the context here which is the most important thing to understanding the ruling.
My guess is if Bohs had a player that scored against Shams as regularly as Twigg does against Bohs and continuely celebrated infront of the Shams fans in a provocative manner then the FAI would take action also.
Thats not much consolation to Shams but the ruling isnt totally absurd.

HulaHoop
23/08/2010, 12:57 AM
If the FAI want to start enforcing this rule they have to be consistent in its application. They can't just turn around 3 quarters of the way into the season and start enforcing the rule ad hoc to one player while letting everyone else away with it all season. No wonder the PFAI are making noises about it, it's basically victimising one of their members.

SkStu
23/08/2010, 2:00 AM
HulaHoop, any links to anything from the FAI or PFAI on this?

Jicked
23/08/2010, 9:02 AM
My guess is if Bohs had a player that scored against Shams as regularly as Twigg does against Bohs and continuely celebrated infront of the Shams fans in a provocative manner then the FAI would take action also.

This is only the second game Twigg has scored against Bohs, the last time was 15 months ago.

Dodge
23/08/2010, 9:04 AM
[QUOTE=HulaHoop;1391272]If the FAI want to start enforcing this rule they have to be consistent in its application. They can't just turn around 3 quarters of the way into the season and start enforcing the rule ad hoc to one player while letting everyone else away with it all seasonQUOTE]

Not being funny but of course they can.

pineapple stu
23/08/2010, 9:04 AM
Players who provoke fans are idiots. Fans who react are idiots. Fans who provoke players are idiots. Players who react are idiots. Football is full of idiots.
I don't agree with this to be honest. The only idiots are fans who provoke players and then cry when they're responded to. Nothing wrong with me shouting "Judas *******" at a former player. If he then, say, scores a goal and runs over with a finger on his lips, then that's fair enough. Just part of football banter I think. Doesn't mean I can throw bottles at him though. (Unless he plays for Trinity, in which case, fire ahead)

Aberdonian Stu
23/08/2010, 10:41 AM
My favourite reaction was from Robbie Doyle. We'd been mocking him at an away game in Bray, fairly playfully it has to be said, about his weight (note our fanbase is not known for its svelt nature either) and after he scored for Wanderers he ran over and grabbed his belly and shook it at us. Loved it.

Rasputin
23/08/2010, 11:58 AM
My favourite reaction was from Robbie Doyle. We'd been mocking him at an away game in Bray, fairly playfully it has to be said, about his weight (note our fanbase is not known for its svelt nature either) and after he scored for Wanderers he ran over and grabbed his belly and shook it at us. Loved it.
Digger O'Brien was one of the best for that, abusing his height and he would then start kneeling down.
Or an all time favourite for me was Morrison who was being abused by a very very large Pats fan and he went over and did some form of fat man dance, had the whole ground in hysterics.

dfx-
23/08/2010, 12:06 PM
€150 for 10 bottles

TO'D was always good for reactions..Barry Ryan certainly is..

poster
23/08/2010, 2:44 PM
TO'D was always good for reactions..Barry Ryan certainly is..

Try Dawius in Drogheda. Spends more of the game looking at the away support and reacting to them than instructing his team. MO'N and Anthony Buttimer are always good for a look as well.