View Full Version : Roy Keane named in squad for Poland game

Pages : [1] 2

Plastic Paddy
20/04/2004, 1:53 PM
...but will he make it? :confused:

:) PP

---

(source: bbc.co.uk )

Roy Keane is set to make his return to Republic of Ireland duty in next week's friendly in Poland.

The Manchester United captain has been named in Brian Kerr's squad for the game in Bydgoszcz, even though he is at the centre of fitness doubts.

Keane has missed his club's last three games because of a thigh injury and may not line out against Charlton on Tuesday evening.

The Corkman last week announced that he would return to international duty.

His last international was against Nigeria in May 2002.

Less than a month later, he was sent home on the eve of the World Cup after a row with then Republic boss Mick McCarthy.

NeilMcD
20/04/2004, 2:03 PM
20/04/2004: Roy Keane has returned to the Republic of Ireland squad to face Poland in Bydgoszcz tomorrow week.

It is 23 months since the Manchester United captain played for the national side and should he make an appearance, it will be his first under new manager Brian Kerr. He will not be returning as captain.

Keane, who is suffering from a thigh strain, has yet to be cleared to play in United’s premiership clash with Charlton at Old Trafford tonight.

His availability for United will not impinge on his prospects of playing in Poland.

full details to follow

PaulB
20/04/2004, 2:12 PM
Roy Keane is back in the Republic of Ireland squad for the first time since his World Cup walk-out two years ago.

Last week, the 32-year-old Manchester United skipper confirmed he had made himself available to play for his country again and Republic coach Brian Kerr has responded by naming Keane in the squad for next Wednesday's friendly in Poland.

However, Birmingham defender Kenny Cunningham will retain the captaincy despite Keane's return to the squad.

Bowsy
20/04/2004, 2:12 PM
Will be surprised if he plays this one. Romania is my bet for his return. Little else of note in the squad selection apart from Maybury's inclusion. Thought he did well defensively against the Czechs but not much cop on the ball. Can't see him as a future squad regular.

Seanie
20/04/2004, 2:14 PM
Squad: Given (Newcastle United), Colgan (Hibernian), Kenny (Sheffield United), Maybury (Hearts), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Harte (Leeds United), Carr (Tottenham Hotspur), O'Brien (Newcastle United), Breen (Sunderland), O'Shea (Manchester United), Miller (Celtic), Roy Keane (Manchester United), Reid (Nottingham Forest), Holland (Charlton Athletic), Delap (Southampton), McAteer (Sunderland), Kinsella (West Bromwich Albion), Kilbane (Everton), Duff (Chelsea), Lee (Cardiff City), Connolly (West Ham United), Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Morrison (Birmingham City).

carnstien
20/04/2004, 2:20 PM
I'm disappointed that ****ers like Kinsella and Breen are still making the squad. I had really hoped that Kerr would cut out that kind of dead wood.

On another note, where is Steve Finnan, he should really be a 1st team regular, I assume he is injured?

PaulB
20/04/2004, 2:23 PM
Finnan has a shoulder Injury, hasn't played for LIverpool for about 6 weeks.

NeilMcD
20/04/2004, 2:24 PM
Why do people give out when players get in the squad, and then they dont say who should be at the squad. I think Kinsella and Breen are past it but who else is there

Declan_Michael
20/04/2004, 2:25 PM
The squad pretty much picks itself.

Plastic Paddy
20/04/2004, 2:27 PM
I'm disappointed that Kinsella and Breen are still making the squad. I had really hoped that Kerr would cut out that kind of dead wood.

On another note, where is Steve Finnan, he should really be a 1st team regular, I assume he is injured?

I'll certainly go with you on Kinsella as I think we now have plenty of better options in the centre of midfield, notwithstanding the return of the prodigal son. However, I think Breen still gives us useful options at the back, and as one of the other posters hereabouts - a Sunderland fan - has reported, Breen has been their most consistent player this season. And they're not doing too badly.

And yes, Finnan has been injured most of this season.

eirebhoy
20/04/2004, 2:29 PM
Why do people give out when players get in the squad, and then they dont say who should be at the squad. I think Kinsella and Breen are past it but who else is there
Dunne, IMO, deserves a place before Breen. I'm not a fan of S. Reid but since most of the midfielders are central I'd pick him over Kinsella.

NeilMcD
20/04/2004, 2:40 PM
is he not injured

NeilMcD
20/04/2004, 2:46 PM
I think its good that Kenny is still captain once again kerr shows he is Mr. Sensible and Mr Calm and does not rush things or opt for the stupid option.

drummerboy
20/04/2004, 2:50 PM
Interesting to see McAteer in the squad. I wonder will he share a room with Keano. He'll hardly travel with Sunderland's fixtures. Breen is playing quite well, saw him at the weekend and he played very well.

Whats the point in selecting Colgan, who can't even get a place on the bench at Hibs.

Beavis
20/04/2004, 2:55 PM
However, Birmingham defender Kenny Cunningham will retain the captaincy despite Keane's return to the squad.

Delighted to hear there's still a bit of reason left... :)

I've reiterated here I dunno how many times but here goes....Regardless of Breen's indifferent club performances (altough that can't be said this year) he has rarely if ever let the us down and surely(and I'm glad Kerr agrees) that's the most important thing.Always has given his everything for Ireland and should continue alongside Kenny for the next campaign imo.

NeilMcD
20/04/2004, 3:05 PM
Roy Keane is in the squad for the Poland match next week, is ready to play though he will be not be captain, Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr revealed on Tuesday afternoon.

After all the talk of Keane coming back after leaving the squad on the eve of the 2002 World Cup, the news was released quickly with Kerr was quick to answer the burning questions of the day.

“Roy told me he wants to make himself available and I have picked him the squad. He is available under the same terms as every other player in the squad,” said Kerr.

“Kenny Cunningham will remain as captain. He was captain when I took over as manager and will stay as captain.”

Kerr also took the opportunity to explain how Keane’s 23-month absence from the international scene came to an end last Tuesday. “When I came into the job, I spoke to Roy, but Roy was not able to commit to returning at the time.

“He was in contact with me over the last number of months and has taken a deep interest in the Ireland team.

“I have always said that I have an open mind if players who have retired want to make themselves available again and that goes for any player who has retired. Roy came to me and told me he wants to make himself available again on the same terms as everybody else.

“I can understand by players who in the past played for Ireland with an unbroken record have difficulties with it and why some fans have some lingering annoyance at what happened in Japan, but I would hope that we are more mature now.”

Kerr also dismissed any worries of problems within the squad that may be caused by Keane’s return. “I don’t envisage any problems. We’re all mature and have moved on and if there are any problems, I would expect them to be sorted out quickly.”

As Kerr said at the end of the press conference: “There are 23 other players in the squad as well,” as, for the first time ever at a squad announcement, there was only talk about one player.

But there was still plenty of talking points in the rest of Kerr’s selection with Nick Colgan (Hibernian), Stephen Carr (Tottenham Hotspur), David Connolly (West Ham United) and Andy O'Brien (Newcastle United) are all back having withdrawn through from the Czech match while John O'Shea (Manchester United), Gary Breen and Jason McAteer (both Sunderland)all return after being left out because of club commitments.

Alan Maybury (Hearts) and Liam Miller (Celtic) are also included having been late additions to the squad for the Czech match.

eirebhoy
20/04/2004, 3:29 PM
Carr has witdrawn from the squad because of "injury". I don't know what to make of that.

ger121
20/04/2004, 3:39 PM
There will definately be withdrawls from that squad through injury :rolleyes: before the match on the 28th. West ham and Sunderland are in the thick of it in the playoff positions at the moment. When is the 2nd leg of the Chelsea match? I'm sure they won't want Duffer going to Poland so close to their second leg.

only1kilbane
20/04/2004, 3:59 PM
I dont know why people keep putting down Gary Breen who has as i have said before had an excellent season for Sunderland. Though he is prone to an odd mistake he has performed consistently for Ireland always. Kenny is the only sure thing at centre half nobody has really taken the other position so breeeno deserves the chance !

On Mark Kinsella he has had his chance but with nobody of note pushing to get in he is sound enough and deserves to be in the squad.

brine2
20/04/2004, 4:07 PM
I wonder will Roy be rooming with Jason?

Slash/ED
20/04/2004, 5:32 PM
Mark Kinsella is absolutley awful, it's a joke he's in the squad. He's even looked crap when I've seen him in the first division. Thornton deserves a place long before him, as even does Douglas. Maybury, Lee and Harte aren't good enough either.

pete
20/04/2004, 5:48 PM
“Kenny Cunningham will remain as captain. He was captain when I took over as manager and will stay as captain.”

Phew. Good stuff. Would have been very disappointed if it was taken from to give to Keane who may or may not play friendlies & only maybe got 2 years left in him.

Squad more or else picks itself even allowing for Connolly :eek: except for maybe Kavanagh unless he injured?

tricky_colour
20/04/2004, 6:33 PM
Seems like Kevin Kilbane has been dropped from the squad,
well at least it does on BBC1 Ceefax page 309, it
had me puzzled for a while.

carnstien
20/04/2004, 6:46 PM
Well players I would like to see in the squad ahead of the Breen and Kinsella are : Young Stephen Kelly at spurs, Stephen Elliot, Willo Flood, Jon Douglas, Stephen McPhail and your man McShane who plays in the Man U reserves. I think Richie Partrige deserves a chance too, he is far more talented than the likes of Kilbane, or God forbid, Carsley.

These are all talented young players who deserve a chance, but Kerr has picked the dead wood once again and it will rot the rest of the squad.

Declan_Michael
20/04/2004, 8:03 PM
Your talking about trying out players who cannot hold down places in their club sides. Example, Liam Miller. Not doubting he has great potential but does he play week in week out for Celtic? Richie Partridge - at international level! not until he's playing first team football. Kilbane has been one of the best Irish performers in the EPL this season he does not deserved to be dropped for someone playing reserve games/nationwide football/eircom league (delete as appropriate).

scouser
20/04/2004, 8:37 PM
I dont know why people keep putting down Gary Breen who has as i have said before had an excellent season for Sunderland. Though he is prone to an odd mistake he has performed consistently for Ireland always. Kenny is the only sure thing at centre half nobody has really taken the other position so breeeno deserves the chance !

The reason people keep putting Gary Breen down is due to the fact that he is a terrible defender - ask any West Ham or Coventry fan over the years and they'll tell you. He is prone to way more than one mistake and in my opinion has been one of the worst ever players to don the Irish shirt. The fact that some Saudi Arabian defender managed to kick Breen's foot off the ball for a goal at the World Cup does not make up for anything. I hope your username - 'only1kilbane' - is pointing out that the footballing world is quite fortunate that there is only 1 kilbane or do you think all of our worst players are good?

scouser
20/04/2004, 8:39 PM
Carr has witdrawn from the squad because of "injury". I don't know what to make of that.

David Pleat said that he was receiving injections for a back injury sustained in their last game. Sounds fair enough to me.

scouser
20/04/2004, 8:40 PM
On the subject of captaincy, its a shame Kerr did hand it back to where it rightfully belongs - the arm of Roy Keane.

Slash/ED
20/04/2004, 8:45 PM
Your talking about trying out players who cannot hold down places in their club sides. Example, Liam Miller. Not doubting he has great potential but does he play week in week out for Celtic? Richie Partridge - at international level! not until he's playing first team football. Kilbane has been one of the best Irish performers in the EPL this season he does not deserved to be dropped for someone playing reserve games/nationwide football/eircom league (delete as appropriate).

Kilbane is not better than Duff, Keane, Miller or Andy Reid, and that would be my mid field.

Plastic Paddy
20/04/2004, 9:05 PM
On the subject of captaincy, its a shame Kerr did hand it back to where it rightfully belongs - the arm of Roy Keane.

He's back in the squad. Let that be enough.

:ball: PP

sylvo
20/04/2004, 9:10 PM
He's back in the squad. Let that be enough.

:ball: PP

Spot on :)

Footie_Fan
20/04/2004, 9:30 PM
Roy came on in the 74th minute against Charlton so he should be travelling bar an injury against Liverpool.

On the captaincy I'm glad to see Kenny remaining as captain. Roy will lead no matter what, and Kenny has been in spectacularly solid form since his appointment.

The squad has no surprises but I'd say we will see a lot of late call ups to other players because of late withdrawals.

1MickCollins
21/04/2004, 1:39 AM
Well players I would like to see in the squad ahead of the Breen and Kinsella are : Young Stephen Kelly at spurs, Stephen Elliot, Willo Flood, Jon Douglas, Stephen McPhail and your man McShane who plays in the Man U reserves. I think Richie Partrige deserves a chance too, he is far more talented than the likes of Kilbane, or God forbid, Carsley.

These are all talented young players who deserve a chance, but Kerr has picked the dead wood once again and it will rot the rest of the squad.

If this keeps up we'll soon be bringing in the Under-12s. How about being a club regular for at least a half-season?

Willo Flood - 1 appearance for City

McShane - no senior appearances for ManU. Not even an Eire U-21. No squuad number.

Elliot - 1 sub appearance for City

Richie Partrige - < 3 appearances in 10 years for Liverpool? He is very talented but he shouldn't be called in until he has a new club.

Jon Douglas - < 15 appearances this season. In because all Souness's signings have been busts. Water carrier but wishing him well.

Stephen McPhail - 9 appearances for Leeds this season, 9 total last year. We don't really need a midfielder who just stands there waiting for the ball so he can play a lateral pass. He does even carry the water like.

tricky_colour
21/04/2004, 3:40 AM

Even I think that would be a bit much, not fair on Kenny either to
just take it off him as he and Ireland have done well in the
friendlies. Its only an armband anyway. and Keanes presence on the
pitch will be unaffected.

Sensible to have Kenny as captain, less pressure on Keano on his
return, wise decision. :)

Anyway Ireland often have several club captains in the squad so
it no problem.

I am not too sure but have not (recent past and present)
Keane, Cunninghan, Carr, Holland, G Kelly, Kinsella, Staunton
all been club captains (Premiership) now or recently.
There is another one too (Cardiff?) tip of my tongue? Kavanagh.

So it seems Ireland could have had a team with 5+ captains!!
Maybe 8 or more!! That must be some kind of record surely.

If you can think of anymore please add them.

Its unlikely we will be short of leadership! :)

only1kilbane
21/04/2004, 8:20 AM
If all the players gave the passion and commitment that Kilbane shows we would not be playing meaningless friendlies in Poland we would be looking forward to euro04. Breen has had an excellent season for us and has not let Ireland down. Who is going to replace him in the squad ? And as far names like Willo Flood currently playing at Rochdale and Richie PArtridge who has played how many times for his club ???

People like Kinsella at least have the experience of club and international games if needed in the big games. The minute any Irish player seems to do anything in England he should be in our squad according to some .

Brian picked the best squad available get over it !

ElSieteSecretos
21/04/2004, 8:44 AM
Its unlikely we will be short of leadership!

?Where was some of that leadership when we missed all those penalities in the Japan?

those player like Willo Flood,McShane,Elliot, and Richie Partrig should move to a lesser club in the preimership or whatevers division to get the 1st team futball, otherwise it is experience and play the Kinsella's

Roy has a room of his own so its ok ! I think he will be a magificant benefit to the national side, especilally for the not so old players, who can learn from him!!Not we have a brilliant manager (better than play it long and head it -Charlton or I dont really know what anything about management/I can not count the players - Mc Carthy) with Kerr:D another magificant decision

Ozymandias
21/04/2004, 9:49 AM
Isn't Partridge trying to recover from some injury at the moment...Willo Flood is too young and needs to hold down an under 21 spot first..he will be class though..but one for the future not right now.

Beavis
21/04/2004, 9:53 AM
Stephen Elliot, Willo Flood......McShane....... Richie Partrige

You having a laugh mate.I've never seemed to agree with you Carnstein but this is the greatest nonsense you've come out with to date....

carnstien
21/04/2004, 9:57 AM
If this keeps up we'll soon be bringing in the Under-12s. How about being a club regular for at least a half-season?

Willo Flood - 1 appearance for City

McShane - no senior appearances for ManU. Not even an Eire U-21. No squuad number.

Elliot - 1 sub appearance for City

Richie Partrige - < 3 appearances in 10 years for Liverpool? He is very talented but he shouldn't be called in until he has a new club.

Jon Douglas - < 15 appearances this season. In because all Souness's signings have been busts. Water carrier but wishing him well.

Stephen McPhail - 9 appearances for Leeds this season, 9 total last year. We don't really need a midfielder who just stands there waiting for the ball so he can play a lateral pass. He does even carry the water like.

I accept all of the above points, however, I would like to add a few.

Breen - one of the worst defenders off all time.

Harte - slow as christmas and a complete liability

Kilbane - talentless

Carsley - even more talentless

Kinsella - nowhere near international class.

McAteer - well past his best.

With the possible exception of Kilbane, all of the above players SHOULD be booted out of the squad for good. I was simply suggesting players who could take their place.

The crap players I have listed have proven to me that they are not good enough to make the Irish team and when you are poven to be not good enough someone else deserves a chance.

NeilMcD
21/04/2004, 10:03 AM
Kilbane is not talentless he was excellent in the last two games and i think he gives the midfield lots of energy which will be needed when roy plays the sitting role in front of the back four. I am afraid that I will listen to brian kerr before most people in here as he speaks sense and he picks the right squad 99% of the time. YOu cannot pick players in an ireland squad if they have not played regularly at the top level. YOu have to earn your place in the squad, caps should not be handed out willy nilly. The only question i have in relation to teh squad, is the exclusion of richard dunne, but maybe he is injured i am not sure, but other than that it is a good blend between youth and experience. In addition no body knows more about the young players available to us than Brian kerr so I think he knows what he is doing. But i suppose if you did not give out you would not have anything to say

Bowsy
21/04/2004, 10:04 AM
Elliott looks excellent prospect and Willo will be amazing with some experience and when he puts some weight on but putting them in an Ireland squad is laughable. Have had a whole other arguement about EL players in the squad on another thread but premiership reserve and youth team players in full international squad is absolute silly talk and not even debatable.

Bowsy
21/04/2004, 10:08 AM
If Breen is one of the worst defenders of all time because he has lapses of concentration then what are O'Brien, Doherty and Dunne. Their concentration can be described as erratic at best. How many examples can you provide of Breen being at fault for goals conceded by Ireland?

drummerboy
21/04/2004, 10:22 AM
If Breen is one of the worst defenders of all time because he has lapses of concentration then what are O'Brien, Doherty and Dunne. Their concentration can be described as erratic at best. How many examples can you provide of Breen being at fault for goals conceded by Ireland?

What about John O’Shea in the game in Basle? Bit worried about O’Shea. Fergie doesn't trust him enough to play him at centre half

finlma
21/04/2004, 10:26 AM

The goal against Russia in the qualifiers at Lansdowne.
I'm sure I could find a few more if I got the video tapes out.

Bowsy
21/04/2004, 10:34 AM
Maybe my memory has lapsed but I remember Given not covering himself in glory for that goal but don't remember Breen's part.

only1kilbane
21/04/2004, 10:47 AM
Dunne was withdrawn by Man City as he is having operation at end of season and does not want to aggravate injury in friendly so he is the only name really that could come in to the squad of note.

Im still laughing at Mc Shane from United and Richie Partridge funny :p

NeilMcD
21/04/2004, 10:54 AM
I think this shows that there seems to be more respect between Ferguson and Kerr than there was between mc Carthy and Ferguson, which is all good considering we are giong to have 3 players in utd squad next season. Kerr seems to have a good relationship with premiership managers which has to be good. I remember Daglish acting the ****** during the 80's so Kerrs approach is very welcome.

Alex Ferguson said last night he was unaware that Roy Keane would be requested to travel to Poland with the Republic of Ireland next week.

Seven days after completing his international u-turn, the Manchester United midfielder was named in Brian Kerr's squad for the trip to Bydgoszcz next
Wednesday.

Having originally tried to talk Keane out of an Ireland return, Ferguson believed his captain would be required only for competitive matches.

Instead, the 32-year-old is in line to win his 59th cap in next week's friendly, which comes in between two key Premiership clashes with Liverpool and Blackburn.

Ferguson, though, is comfortable with the situation and having introduced Keane for the final 15 minutes of last night's 2-0 win over Charlton at Old Trafford after his recent injuries, feels he needs game time anyway.

"I was not aware that he would be travelling to Poland," said the United boss. "I think Roy is in control of the situation and he knows exactly what is
needed.

"I am sure between himself and Brian Kerr they will make sure it is right. He
needs games anyway after the time he has missed recently

scouser
21/04/2004, 11:29 AM
Kilbane is not talentless he was excellent in the last two games and i think he gives the midfield lots of energy

Kilbane was not excellent in our last two meaningless friendlies, he was average. Every midfielder should have lots of energy, they're professional footballers, they are extremely athletic anyways due to the conditioning provided by their clubs, don't see any difference between Kilbane and any other midfielder in the squad in terms of energy.

scouser
21/04/2004, 11:32 AM
Even I think that would be a bit much, not fair on Kenny either to
just take it off him as he and Ireland have done well in the
friendlies. Its only an armband anyway. and Keanes presence on the
pitch will be unaffected.

Sensible to have Kenny as captain, less pressure on Keano on his
return, wise decision. :)

Anyway Ireland often have several club captains in the squad so
it no problem.

I am not too sure but have not (recent past and present)
Keane, Cunninghan, Carr, Holland, G Kelly, Kinsella, Staunton
all been club captains (Premiership) now or recently.
There is another one too (Cardiff?) tip of my tongue? Kavanagh.

So it seems Ireland could have had a team with 5+ captains!!
Maybe 8 or more!! That must be some kind of record surely.

If you can think of anymore please add them.

Its unlikely we will be short of leadership! :)

Without Keane we had no leadership in the Euro Qualifiers. He is the natural captain of the side, like it or not. Kenny Cunningham, as nice a guy as he probably is, just doesn't have the same effect.

Plastic Paddy
21/04/2004, 11:35 AM
Without Keane we had no leadership in the Euro Qualifiers. He is the natural captain of the side, like it or not. Kenny Cunningham, as nice a guy as he probably is, just doesn't have the same effect.

Even so, there is a point of principle to be observed here. Mister Kerr has made as much clear to da prodigal son in saying that he can return, but only on exactly the same terms as every other player in the squad. As it should be. Kenny Cunningham is our captain, and until Mister Kerr says otherwise, that's how it'll stay.