PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane named in squad for Poland game

Pages : 1 [2]

NeilMcD
21/04/2004, 11:55 AM
I think a defence of Carr, cunningham, O Brien O Shea is solid as well as well able to go forwards. We had no leadership in Basle, but that was becuase Cunningham was missing. I think Kean will effectively be the captain on the field as that is his way but the off teh field issues will be better dealt with by cunningham as he has a more diplomatic approach to such issues. I am sure the players will feel more comfortable going to him rather than Roy. Kilbane was excellent , even Keane said he was man of the match against Brazil. I was a huge critic of Kilbanes in the past but since going to central midfield he gets up and down from box to box better than any other irish midfielder, he gets stuck in, he cant beat people etc. and can lay off a pass to either duff or Reid on either flank. this all backed up by Roy Keane in the holding role with mean we have a solid base and plenty of flair too. The one thing we are missing is a partner for Robbie Keane.

Junior
21/04/2004, 12:45 PM
The goal against Russia in the qualifiers at Lansdowne.
I'm sure I could find a few more if I got the video tapes out.

Spain - WC02

scouser
21/04/2004, 2:33 PM
Even so, there is a point of principle to be observed here. Mister Kerr has made as much clear to da prodigal son in saying that he can return, but only on exactly the same terms as every other player in the squad. As it should be. Kenny Cunningham is our captain, and until Mister Kerr says otherwise, that's how it'll stay.

:) PP

Of course the decision lies with Kerr, just giving my opinion. Theres no doubt tho that Keane is a far superior captain than Cunningham,even Keane's detractors can't argue against that.

carnstien
21/04/2004, 2:50 PM
Elliott looks excellent prospect and Willo will be amazing with some experience and when he puts some weight on but putting them in an Ireland squad is laughable. Have had a whole other arguement about EL players in the squad on another thread but premiership reserve and youth team players in full international squad is absolute silly talk and not even debatable.
You are talking bull****. We waited 3 years too long to put Duff in the national side and even then he was played out of position. He didn't get a run on the left wing until he was nearly 24. That is a disgrace and it can't be let happen again. Robbie Keane was thrown in as a 17 year old nobody and look what happened there.

The youngsters who we will be looking to in future (McShane, Elliot ect.) should be in the squad NOW, learning from the likes of Roy Keane and Duff. It is an absolute waste of time having has-been nobodys like Breen, Harte and Kinsella in the squad when they shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

gustavo
21/04/2004, 2:56 PM
are breen harte and kinsella the same has been nobodies who helped along with keane to get us to the world cup?

carnstien
21/04/2004, 2:56 PM
The goal against Russia in the qualifiers at Lansdowne.
I'm sure I could find a few more if I got the video tapes out.
The 2nd goal at home to the Swiss springs to mind too, with the ball sailing over his head and him standing there staring at it like a helpless puppy.

If you want to know how bad Breen really is, watch the Man U - West Ham game from last season, an absolutly shocking display. If Van Nistlerooy can do that to him, I shudder to think what Henry will do if he plays against the French.

On a different note, Andy O'Brien marked Henry our of the game during Newcastles recent clash with Arsenal.

carnstien
21/04/2004, 2:58 PM
are breen harte and kinsella the same has been nobodies who helped along with keane to get us to the world cup?
No, they are the three nobodies who without Uncle Roy couldn't get us to Euro 2004 from a miles easier group.

Bowsy
21/04/2004, 3:15 PM
Carnstein, you are the one who is talking Bull**it. McShane is a youth team player. Looks like a good prospect but could well never make. Not even a regular in uniteds reserves. Yeah lets whack him in at centre half. Willo Flood is an 18 year old in a 12 year olds body. Again great prospect but has played one game for Man City against Total Network Solutions. Brilliant should terrify France! Elliott has played exactly 3 mins of Premiership football and can't get into a woeful Man City that couldn't hit a cow's ar*e with a banjo. Are you seriously thinking we should be calling up kids who haven't played any first team football. Duff and Keane were both regulars at club level when they were called up. I've seen such unmitigated b*ll*cks as that post in all my life.

carnstien
21/04/2004, 3:28 PM
Carnstein, you are the one who is talking Bull**it. McShane is a youth team player. Looks like a good prospect but could well never make. Not even a regular in uniteds reserves. Yeah lets whack him in at centre half. Willo Flood is an 18 year old in a 12 year olds body. Again great prospect but has played one game for Man City against Total Network Solutions. Brilliant should terrify France! Elliott has played exactly 3 mins of Premiership football and can't get into a woeful Man City that couldn't hit a cow's ar*e with a banjo. Are you seriously thinking we should be calling up kids who haven't played any first team football. Duff and Keane were both regulars at club level when they were called up. I've seen such unmitigated b*ll*cks as that post in all my life.
Now you see I never said they should go straight into the team. The team is a different matter all together. However, in a squad of 22 players there is absolutly no point whatsoever in having the likes of Kinsella, Harte, Breen etc. They are certainly not going to terrify France. I made the point that we are wasting our time having these guys in the squad, someone asked me who should be in there instead of them so I suggested that we throw some of the young lads in. Im not suggesting that Willo Flood play on the right wing against France, he would be murdered.

And for the record, McShane IS a regular in the Manchester United Reserves, in fact he has captained them on a number of occasions and while he may be young I would bet my life he is a better player than Breen.

Bowsy
21/04/2004, 3:41 PM
Fair enough. i don't want Harte or Kinsella anywhere near an irish squad but these are young unproven players. Haven't we had enough "new Liam Bradys" at this stage to have learned. At this stage these lads are potential and nothing more. Look at Ireland and other other nations under 21 squads over the last decade and see how many players made it compared to the amount that end up on the football scrapheap. Until these young lads' club managers judge them good enough to get into their match day squads (which none of them have on a regular basis), they shouldn't be considered for national team selection. No way does a season in United reserves make Paul McShane more able for International football than Gary Breen.

Plastic Paddy
21/04/2004, 4:01 PM
No way does a season in United reserves make Paul McShane more able for International football than Gary Breen.

Well said. Sense at last.

:) PP

Beavis
21/04/2004, 4:05 PM
The 2nd goal at home to the Swiss springs to mind too.

Nit picking at errors is unreasonable.Who is the best defender in Europe?Nesta many might agree.Wasn't he at fault for at least two of the goals in the recent C.League game with Depor?And Rio Ferdinand who is considered one of England's best players,his mistakes cost Man U a hatful of goals at the start of the season.The fact is a defender is going to slip up now and then,as all players do, but defenders are in the unfortunate position that one slip up will most likely lead to a goal.If we start examining every goal we'd find that for nearly all some player is at fault.Sure wasn't Keane himself :eek: completely guilty for the Figo goal at Lansdowne.....

only1kilbane
21/04/2004, 4:29 PM
People like Breen , Harte , and Kinsella are still very important in our squads. What happens if injuries happen before the France game and as Carnstein says we have the untested (even at club level ) likes of Flood, MC Shane and so on in the squad. Are we now going to need them to be on the bench. The reason we have players like Harte and the like is if injuries occur at least we know we can put them in against someone like France and they will not be overawed and have more chance of doing the business rather than some kid playing for manu reserves every week !

Bring Back Mick
21/04/2004, 4:53 PM
So I take it no Apology to the fans, management, people of Ireland (cork & "it was all Mick's fault" camp excluded, ) was forthcoming then..................way 2 go Roy !!!

Éanna
21/04/2004, 5:13 PM
when's he gonna pick up the injury that leads to him being withdrawn from the squad :rolleyes:

carnstien
21/04/2004, 7:13 PM
when's he gonna pick up the injury that leads to him being withdrawn from the squad :rolleyes:
And so what if he does? Stephen Carr has already withdrawn and you can be sure he won't be the only one. What matters is what these players do in the qualifiers.

And going back to the Breen issue, players all have bad days, but against Premiership class oposition (ie France) Breen has always been poor. He was a disaster with West Ham last season and if you put him up against Henry, Saha, Cisse, Trezeguet ect. he will be absolutely destroyed.

scouser
21/04/2004, 8:07 PM
On a different note, Andy O'Brien marked Henry our of the game during Newcastles recent clash with Arsenal.

I wouldn't read too much into that - Henry goes missing in the big big games and it wouldn't surprise me that O'Brien marked him out of the game.

scouser
21/04/2004, 8:08 PM
People like Breen , Harte , and Kinsella are still very important in our squads. What happens if injuries happen before the France game and as Carnstein says we have the untested (even at club level ) likes of Flood, MC Shane and so on in the squad. Are we now going to need them to be on the bench. The reason we have players like Harte and the like is if injuries occur at least we know we can put them in against someone like France and they will not be overawed and have more chance of doing the business rather than some kid playing for manu reserves every week !

Did you see Harte in the World Cup - if ever a player looked overawed then it was him. Had a terrible World Cup.

Ginger
21/04/2004, 10:11 PM
So I take it no Apology to the fans, management, people of Ireland (cork & "it was all Mick's fault" camp excluded, ) was forthcoming then..................way 2 go Roy !!!

He's not going to apologise. Get over it

only1kilbane
22/04/2004, 7:57 AM
Of course he wont apologise that would be way too much too ask wouldnt it . I think we are supposed to be grateful to having judas back among us . How lucky we are !!!!

scouser
22/04/2004, 11:34 AM
Think you can safely say He & anyone else who went,Had a better World Cup than 'The Brat'?!

Don't know about that. An extra 2 and 1/2 weeks with McCarthy would do anyone's head in.

NeilMcD
22/04/2004, 11:40 AM
lads the whole keane debate is tiresome, he is back just accept it and concentrate on the positives, there is way to much negativity about the irish footall team here, Can we concentrate on teh great players we have and the great times ahead.

Bowsy
22/04/2004, 12:48 PM
Well said NeilMcD. The Irish team looks healthier now than it has in a long time with a lot of promising players coming through. Good start to qualifiers and future could be very bright indeed.