PDA

View Full Version : what starting 11 should be....

Pages : [1] 2

4tothefloor
14/04/2004, 3:28 PM
I think Keanes return means the end of Mark Kinsella and Lee Carsleys Irish careers, especially when you take into consideration McAteers return as well, along with the gradual introduction of Thornton and Douglas in the future. My starting 11, based on current form & experience would be:

Given
Carr, Cunningham, O'Brien, O'Shea
McAteer, Keane, Kilbane, Duff
Keane, Morrisson

Subs\Squad
GK: Kenny, Colgan
DEF: Finnan, Harte, Breen, Doherty
MID: A Reid, Miller, Healy, Kavanagh, Holland
FWD: Lee, Connolly

OUT: Kinsella, Carsley, McPhail, Delap, S Reid, Maybury, Dunne (just pipped by Doherty)

Future Players:
GK: Stack, Murphy
DEF: S Kelly, J Thompson, P McCarthy, P McShane
MID: S Thornton, J Douglas, W Flood, D Potter
FWD: S Elliott, A McGeady, M Yeates, J Walters

There could be a case for putting Miller into the centre, pushing Kilbane out wide with Duffer up front, but I don't think you get the best out of Duffer this way. Miller & Reid could also play on the right instead of McAteer, though I would expect McAteer to start the French and Swiss games. Good squad all the same! :)

Ozymandias
14/04/2004, 3:29 PM
didnt Carsley bow out last week anyway

Declan_Michael
14/04/2004, 3:31 PM
Should be interesting to see Jayo and K***e in the same team!

4tothefloor
14/04/2004, 3:31 PM
didnt Carsley bow out last week anyway

Yup, but only temporarily for a few months. I think Keanes return has finished him completely now, barring an injury crisis.

Éanna
14/04/2004, 3:36 PM
Given

Carr Cunningham Breen O'Shea

McAteer Kilbane Kavanagh Duff

Keane Lee

would be the way to go IMO.

Bench:
Colgan,Kenny, Finnan, O'Brien, Doherty, A Reid, Miller, Healy, K**ne, Morrison, Connolly, Douglas.

Keane has no right to walk straight back in the team,and on current form he isn't good enough to start IMO

brendy_éire
14/04/2004, 3:45 PM
GK: Given
RB: Carr
CB: Cunningham
CB: Breen
LB: Harte
RM: McAteer
CM: Kilbane
CM: Holland
LM: Duff
FW: Keane
FW: Connelly

Bench:
Colgan, Kenny, Finnan, Kinsella, Doherty, A Reid, Kavanagh, Healy, O'Shea, Morrison, Miller, Douglas.

On their day, that could be an excellent team and capable of at least holding France to a draw.

tiktok
14/04/2004, 3:51 PM
Given
Carr Cunningham O'Brien O'Shea
DeLap Keane Kilbane Duff
Keane Morrison

Declan_Michael
14/04/2004, 3:51 PM

Bench:
Colgan, Kenny, Finnan, Kinsella, Doherty, A Reid, Kavanagh, Healy, O'Shea, Morrison, Miller, Douglas.

On their day, that could be an excellent team and capable of at least holding France to a draw.

I didn't know Roy the boy played centre forward? :D ;)

Plastic Paddy
14/04/2004, 3:53 PM

Bench:

Connolly? :confused: He's never cut it at international level IMHO. I'd say persist with Morrison as first choice for a few more games, with Alan Lee (after what I thought was an excellent twenty minutes against the Czechs) as back-up and optional target-man.

:) PP

tiktok
14/04/2004, 3:57 PM
Play Connolly and Harte but not Keane.
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. :rolleyes:

brine2
14/04/2004, 4:03 PM
Given

Carr - Cunningham - O'Shea - Finnan

S Reid - Miller - Keane - A Reid - Duff

Keane

Plastic Paddy
14/04/2004, 4:11 PM
Given

Carr - Cunningham - O'Shea - Finnan

S Reid - Miller - Keane - A Reid - Duff

Keane

I'd have O'Brien in place of O'Shea, and as Éanna posted above, I don't think RMK is in good enough form to warrant a starting place at the moment. I'd have Delap instead of Steven Reid (switching Andy Reid out to the right), and Morrison up front for RMK in a 4-4-2 instead, at least for a few games.

tiktok
14/04/2004, 4:33 PM
I don't think RMK is in good enough form to warrant a starting place at the moment

but Miller is on the back of three substitute appearances and about seventy minutes of football, come on lads, get real ;)

4tothefloor
14/04/2004, 4:37 PM

Bench:

lol @ brendy_eire! Man you're going to have to accept that he's back at some point! Ian Harte, left back in the Stade de France :eek: . IMO, Holland is nothing more than, as Eric Cantona once put it, a water carrier. He's shocking, and if he plays in France, we're fooked. I actually forgot about Delap, must amend my first post. As for Steven Reid.......... :rolleyes: the bulldozer needs to learn how to swivel his hips before he can get anywhere near the Irish team again - the man can only run in straight lines :D

Plastic Paddy
14/04/2004, 4:37 PM
but Miller is on the back of three substitute appearances and about seventy minutes of football, come on lads, get real ;)

Don't get me started on Miller... ;)

If you're interested, watch the Celtic-Villarreal game tonight. He's due to start in place of Alan Thompson, who's suspended. If he plays to potential (and plenty of us Tims think he owes us the game of his life, but I digress) then you'll see why I think he should start ahead of RMK. At least for the first few games.

4tothefloor
14/04/2004, 4:48 PM
Don't get me started on Miller... ;)

If you're interested, watch the Celtic-Villarreal game tonight. He's due to start in place of Alan Thompson, who's suspended. If he plays to potential (and plenty of us Tims think he owes us the game of his life, but I digress) then you'll see why I think he should start ahead of RMK. At least for the first few games.

Well, maybe for the friendlies, because you must remember that Miller only has about 25 minutes of international experience thus far. But when it comes to going away to the Swiss and the French, Keane has to, and will, start. The same goes for McAteer ahead of A Reid, based purely on big match experience.

How many of us thought that we would ever even be having this discussion? I think its great that Keane's back, and I don't think that it will affect team morale at all, quite the opposite. Maybe apart from McAteer (who nobody in the squad takes seriously anyway, esp Keane) and le water carrier Matt Holland, who's useless. My only worry is that morale might be affected by idiot fans who might choose to boo Keane instead of supporting the team. Lets hope these idiots stay away from LR.

Plastic Paddy
14/04/2004, 4:50 PM
My only worry is that morale might be affected by idiot fans who might choose to boo Keane instead of supporting the team. Lets hope these idiots stay away from LR.

As I've said elsewhere, I can't see that happening. The welcome may be less than enthusiastic from some, but once he dons the green shirt, that's it. He's an Ireland player again and will get the backing commensurate with that position.

4tothefloor
14/04/2004, 4:55 PM
Lets hope so

The Legend
14/04/2004, 5:46 PM
When did McAteer say he was coming back? this is news to me (of course i don't live there anymore).

Himself and Keane will probably kill each other at the first training session!

Footie_Fan
14/04/2004, 5:50 PM
CB: Cunnigham (C)
CB: O'Brien
LB: O'Shea
RM: Miller
CM: Roy Keane
CM: Kavanagh
CF: Keane
CF: Lee

Subs:
GK: Kenny
GK: Colgan
DF: Breen
DF: Finnan
DF: Harte
DF: Doherty
MF: McAteer
MF: Holland
MF: A Reid
MF: Kilbane
MF: Healy
MF: Delap
CF: Morrison
CF: Connolly
CF: Byrne

Strikers are our main problem. Lack of numbers and quality.

Footie_Fan
14/04/2004, 5:52 PM
When did McAteer say he was coming back? this is news to me (of course i don't live there anymore).

He played against Brazil.

McAteer has endorsed Keane's return.(not that his endorsement is required)

tricky_colour
14/04/2004, 5:56 PM

Well I think one of them would end up dead and I know where I would be putting my money.

:D

Breen
14/04/2004, 6:01 PM
As I've said elsewhere, I can't see that happening. The welcome may be less than enthusiastic from some, but once he dons the green shirt, that's it. He's an Ireland player again and will get the backing commensurate with that position.

Roy Keane can pull on whatever the hell he likes but he's not getting any kind of support from me.

tiktok
14/04/2004, 6:19 PM
McAteer has endorsed Keane's return.(not that his endorsement is required)

I'm glad to hear that, in my mind that would have been the major personality (if the presence of any can be detected) clash, let's hope Keano accepts the olive branch being offered.

cookie
14/04/2004, 6:40 PM
given
carr cunningham o'shea harte
miller holland keane duff
keane morrison

what a team!!!!!!!!!!

one of the best mid fields in europe!

Condex
14/04/2004, 8:41 PM
Given

Carr Cunningham O'Shea
O'Brien

Miller/A Reid Keane Kilbane Duff

Keane Morrison/Lee

Miller was very poor in tonights game against Villa Real
We also need to find a decent forward from somewhere.

tricky_colour
14/04/2004, 9:30 PM
After much thought :p

.------------Keane
. Keane, Keane, Keane Keane
. Keane, Keane(c), Keane Keane
.--------Keane, Keane

Subs: Keane, Keane, Keane, Harte

How's about that then :eek:

NigeSausagepump
14/04/2004, 9:32 PM
GK Given
RB Carr
CB Cunningham
CB O'Brien
LB O'Shea
RM Delap/McAteer/A Reid/Delap
CM Keane
CM Kilbane
LM Duff
CF Keane
CF Morrison

After recent performances, Keane Snr's return and lack of options in certain positions I think the only spot up for grabs is right side of midfield. O'Brien did well against Brazil and deserves a chance to stake his claim at centre half. Breen is over the hill for my money and Doherty and Dunne aren't up to international level football.
I'm a convert to Kilbane in centre midfield - the only worry about pairing him with Keane Snr is that both are destroyers there rather than creators - which could be a case for Miller getting the nod in the future alongside Keane.
Centre forward alongside Keane Jnr still worries me. I'm losing faith in Clinto. Thought he's been poor in his last few games and has scored a pitiful amount of goals for Brum this season despite starting a rake of games.

Plastic Paddy
14/04/2004, 9:35 PM
After much thought :p

.------------Keane
. Keane, Keane, Keane Keane
. Keane, Keane(c), Keane Keane
.--------Keane, Keane

Subs: Keane, Keane, Keane, Harte

How's about that then

Spurs fan, perchance? ;) :eek: :rolleyes:

brendy_éire
14/04/2004, 9:47 PM
Play Connolly and Harte but not Keane.
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. :rolleyes:

I've always had a soft spot for Connolly, not sure why exactly. ;) I think he's a decent enough player, and should be given a real chance.
And what are ye on about Harte for? Better than playing that plonker O'Shea at left back. Besides, Harte's a quality player, and a decent free taker.

coyney
14/04/2004, 9:54 PM
does anyone know who is the "big name" in the squad (as reported in the indo) who isn't happy with Keane's return... i can only think of Holland but he isn't a big name IMO

Footie_Fan
14/04/2004, 10:15 PM
I've always had a soft spot for Connolly, not sure why exactly. ;) I think he's a decent enough player, and should be given a real chance.
And what are ye on about Harte for? Better than playing that plonker O'Shea at left back. Besides, Harte's a quality player, and a decent free taker.

I think Connolly has had more than enough chances in an Irish jersey. He is capable of a decent performance once every twenty appearances (Turkey 2003 being his last) not international quality but will be in the squad through lack of numbers up front. But he has had his chances already.

I agree that if I was picking the team right now on current form Harte would be starting. He is a legitimate attacking threat but his defence is a massive liability. O'Shea's form is poor at the moment but it his only in his second full season and there is no doubt he will be a great player in the future. But he is certainly not a "plonker" and frankly that speaks volumes about you and your mind-set.

brendy_éire
14/04/2004, 10:21 PM
But he is certainly not a "plonker" and frankly that speaks volumes about you and your mind-set.

How do ye mean?
BTW, I don't watch a lot of English football, so my team is based on Irish performances. Also, some of the ManUre 'fans' I know don't seem to like O'Shea for whatever reason.

cookie
14/04/2004, 10:31 PM
CB: Cunnigham (C)
CB: O'Brien
LB: O'Shea
RM: Miller
CM: Roy Keane
CM: Kavanagh
CF: Keane
CF: Lee

Subs:
GK: Kenny
GK: Colgan
DF: Breen
DF: Finnan
DF: Harte
DF: Doherty
MF: McAteer
MF: Holland
MF: A Reid
MF: Kilbane
MF: Healy
MF: Delap
CF: Morrison
CF: Connolly
CF: Byrne

Strikers are our main problem. Lack of numbers and quality.

good team... i like it.

Footie_Fan
14/04/2004, 10:39 PM
How do ye mean?
BTW, I don't watch a lot of English football, so my team is based on Irish performances. Also, some of the ManUre 'fans' I know don't seem to like O'Shea for whatever reason.

Well to call a talented young Irishman, who has a good ten years of football ahead of him, playing for one of the biggest clubs in Europe a "plonker" is ridiculous. Do you know him? You say you only watch Ireland. The guy has only played on twelve occassions for Ireland. How can you judge him on twelve appearances when he has possibly another eighty ahead of him?

adamcarr
14/04/2004, 10:46 PM
good team... i like it.
It is a good team but I dont think Lee is good enough. He is good in the air but useless on the ground!

4tothefloor
15/04/2004, 1:55 AM
does anyone know who is the "big name" in the squad (as reported in the indo) who isn't happy with Keane's return... i can only think of Holland but he isn't a big name IMO

I'd say its Holland alright. He's the only one really aside from McAteer that would have cause to be unhappy. Its not McAteer as he's already welcomed a Roy return, and anyway Keane see's him as a bit of an airhead who he doesn't take too seriously.

Holland came out and said something stupid after Keane was sent home didn't he? He said something arrogant about Keane 'cos I remember Dunphy blowing his top and having a right go at Holland, calling him a nothing player etc (how right he was, for once). He's got the most to lose as well, as Keane will take his position. He was plodding along nicely and anonymously there for the last few games in true Mattie Holland style, and now all of a sudden the sh*it has hit the fan :D

tricky_colour
15/04/2004, 2:29 AM
I'd say its Holland alright. He's the only one really aside from McAteer that would have cause to be unhappy. Its not McAteer as he's already welcomed a Roy return, and anyway Keane see's him as a bit of an airhead who he doesn't take too seriously.

Holland came out and said something stupid after Keane was sent home didn't he? He said something arrogant about Keane 'cos I remember Dunphy blowing his top and having a right go at Holland, calling him a nothing player etc (how right he was, for once). He's got the most to lose as well, as Keane will take his position. He was plodding along nicely and anonymously there for the last few games in true Mattie Holland style, and now all of a sudden the sh*it has hit the fan :D

I remember Holland for scoring a crucial goal from distance in a big game
but I usually find he is a little anonymous in games.
I have nothing against the guy but I think he should button his lip for
the good of the team.
He shouldn't take what Roy said in a fit of rage in Saipan to heart, we
have all said things we regret in the heat of the moment.

His best chance of playing is when Ireland are in tournaments rather than
not qualifying.
The majority of the time Irelands problem is not having enough top class
players through injury, anyway Holland can play right wing as he has done
for his club recently? That is a position which Ireland have always had
a problem filling.

only1kilbane
15/04/2004, 8:54 AM
Team would have to be as follows even though it pains me to put Judas in :

1) Given
2) Carr
3) O shea
4) Cunningham
5) Breen
6) Duff
7) Judas
8) Kilbane
9) Mc Ateer
10) Keane
11) Lee

Sorry Clint at the moment think youve been given more than a fair chance time to give the big man a real go. WE do have up to five friendlies before the qualifiers so worth giving this a go. Players like Andy Reid and Matty would still be in with a shout and Screech O Brien as well.

NeilMcD
15/04/2004, 9:17 AM
where was that guy plastic paddy that said watch miller tonight, Well i did watch him and he was average but i still think he will come good. To be honest i think this will be the team, whether its my opinion or not i think Kerr will go with this one if everybody is fit

Given
Carr
Cunningham
O Brien
O Shea
Reid
Keane
Kilbane
Duff
Keane
Morrison

I think Miller and Mc Ateer are pushing for the right side and then we have a few average guys that try their best but ultimately do not have it at the highest level week in week out they are holland, healy, delap, connolly, doherty. I think kilbane and keane in the centre woudl be very complimentary and keane would have 3 guys beside him to have the legs and the skill to compliment his composure and sensible passing and also to dictate the pace of the game. Another thing i am so glad that anti keane people have finally been sickened and he is back like it or not you have been wrong all along and you have lost and now look forward to 3 points in Basle.

NigeSausagepump
15/04/2004, 9:18 AM
I'd say its Holland alright. He's the only one really aside from McAteer that would have cause to be unhappy

I'd say its either Holland or Given. Given apparently couldn't believe that anyone could walk out on Ireland (that's how he allegedly saw it before it all kicks off again!) plus he's close to Packie Bonner who felt the sharp end of Keane's tongue in Saipan. He has stated that he'd accept it if Keane came back, but wasn't exactly rushing to greet him with open arms. Whatever about Holland, I don't think we can afford to keep Shay's nose out of joint for too long so I hope that if he is disconcerted with the whole thing that Keane makes some kind of peace gesture. Maybe like not screaming at him in training :)

Plastic Paddy
15/04/2004, 9:30 AM
where was that guy plastic paddy that said watch miller tonight, Well i did watch him and he was average but i still think he will come good.

:D

Not one of his better games, but he still managed to lay on a few excellent passes (e.g. the one through to Joos Valgaeren from which the big man should have scored) and will, if he can stay clear of injury, go on to establish himself in the Ireland side.

drinkfeckarse
15/04/2004, 9:44 AM
Given

Carr, Cunningham, O' Brien, O' Shea

A Reid, Miller, Keane, Duff

Keane, Morrisson

SubS/Squad:

Kenny,

Finnan,Harte,Dunne,Docherty

Kilbane,S Reid,Holland,Delap,McPhail

Lee,Connolly

That midfield looks strong, leave Roy do the cleaning up game and Miller has got the engine Roy had a few years ago so he can do the box to box job.

adamcarr
15/04/2004, 10:03 AM
Team VS Cyprus 4th Sept '04
Given

Carr Cunningham(c) O' Brien O' Shea

A. Reid Keano Miller/Kilbane Duffer

Robbie Keane Morrisson

Subs:
1 Kenny
2 Finnan
3 Harte
4 Lee
5 Holland
6 Docherty - Able to play def/att so great for a sub!
7 Miller/Kilbane

By this time I believe Miller and Reid would have proved themselves if they are goona prove themselves which I believe they will!!!

backodanet
15/04/2004, 10:18 AM
4-1-2-1-2

GK- given
lb - finnan
rb - carr
cb - cunnigham
cb - o'shea
lm - reid
rm - miller
cm - keane
am - duff
fwd - keane
fwd - morrison

brendy_éire
15/04/2004, 11:55 AM
How can you judge him on twelve appearances when he has possibly another eighty ahead of him?

I can only go by what I see and what I get told by other people.
Besides, I still think Harte's a better player. Give O'Shea a few years.

liamon
15/04/2004, 12:33 PM
O'Shea has had a poor season for Man Utd. He looks low on confidence and has been struggling to match his performances of last year. When he's played in the middle of the defence, he looks very suspect and Utd don't play him there at all anymore.

Having said that, he's a decent defender when he plays on the left. And he's a lot more reliable from a defensive point of view that Harte. Plus, when he does venture forward, he can look quite good. We should have enough attacking options from our midfield to cope without Harte. And for games against France, we'll need good defensive capability.

Footie_Fan
15/04/2004, 2:32 PM

As I have said right now on current form it would be Harte starting because of O'Sheas poor form but long term he is a much better option than the defensive liability that is Harte. He is a decent player to have on the bench attacking wise but his defending just isn't up to scratch.

scouser
15/04/2004, 3:08 PM
Given

Carr Cunningham O'Brien O'Shea

Finnan Miller Roy Keane Duff

Morrison Robbie Keane

with Andy Reid and Colin Healy when he comes back from injury all near the team aswell.

carnstien
15/04/2004, 7:34 PM
Here's my team:

Given

Finnan
O'Brien
Cunningham
O'Shea

Carr (Best attacking full back in England, can be a world class midfielder)
Miller / Andy Ried (They will learn fast beside The Great Man)
Roy Keane (c)
Duff

Keane
Morrison

Anyone who doesn't have Roy Keane in their team does not care if the Irish team win and should not be allowd to call themselves a fan.

Like I said before Finnan and Carr must both play, they are both head and shoulders above every other right back in the Priemership.

Miller and Ried deserve a chance to prove themselves.

The dead wood (Kilbane, Holland, Breen, Harte, Carsley) who couldn't cut the mustard in the Euro 2004 qualifiers do not deserve places on the 1st team.

And finally, a question for Plastic Paddy, why do you support the Irish soccer team? It would appear to me that you don't actually care if we achieve any kind of success?