PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Bohs will be seeded in 2nd qualifying round of CL

Pages : [1] 2 3

paudie
26/04/2010, 7:06 PM
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedcl2010.html

From what i can make out as neither Sarajevo or Rabotnicki look like winning their respective leagues Bohs should be seeded.
http://www.soccerway.com/national/bosnia-herzegovina/premier-liga/2009-2010/regular-season/
http://www.soccerway.com/national/macedonia-fyr/first-league/2009-2010/regular-season/

Open to correction though as I usually get this stuff wrong.

Big difference between possibly playing Rosenborg and playing HB Torshavn

Acornvilla
26/04/2010, 8:45 PM
that would be great news for the league and for bohs yay :) while i'm here will any of our other teams be seeded and what rounds will they enter the EL?

fionnsci
26/04/2010, 8:59 PM
Great news. Is third round the final qualifying round or is there a fourth? And if Bohs are knocked out at the 3rd stage, do they go into the Europa League? And if so, at what stage?

paudie
26/04/2010, 9:08 PM
that would be great news for the league and for bohs yay :) while i'm here will any of our other teams be seeded and what rounds will they enter the EL?

I think Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk will be seeded in the round they enter but Fingal won't be seeded when they enter in the following round.

paudie
26/04/2010, 9:10 PM
Great news. Is third round the final qualifying round or is there a fourth? And if Bohs are knocked out at the 3rd stage, do they go into the Europa League? And if so, at what stage?

There are 4 qualifying rounds. I think teams beaten in 4th Q round go into Europa league

Acornvilla
26/04/2010, 9:11 PM

There are f4 rounds i know that much i assume if they get knocked out in the 3rd qualifying round they drop to the 3rd qualifying round of the europa league?

its still all new and confusing for me sorry :) its all gone a bit over my head :plane:

fionnsci
26/04/2010, 9:30 PM
Thanks, guys. Did a bit of my own resarch there and it seems that if Bohs get to the 3rd round (i.e. beat the unseeded team) and lose they go into the Play-off round of the EL, where Pat's were against Steau. So it looks like they'll get two bites at the cherry for qualifying for a group stage.

If Bohs do get to the 4th qualifying round of the CL even a loss will put them into the EL group stages.

Already can't wait, it's my favourite time of year, despite Pat's not being involved this year.

Spudulika
26/04/2010, 9:44 PM
If Bohs make it to the 3rd round it means real money - and there is a good chance the Irish sides will all do well. If just one of them can make it to the group stage of the EL it would be massive

holidaysong
26/04/2010, 9:46 PM
I think Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk will be seeded in the round they enter but Fingal won't be seeded when they enter in the following round.

Rovers enter at QR2 and therefore won't be seeded. We should be fine for seeding in QR1 alright though.

RĂ©iteoir
26/04/2010, 10:22 PM
If Bohs make it to the 3rd round it means real money - and there is a good chance the Irish sides will all do well. If just one of them can make it to the group stage of the EL it would be massive

Just think of the Co-Efficient...

Acornvilla
26/04/2010, 10:34 PM
the nerds are already jizzing their pants over this as i type :)

holidaysong
26/04/2010, 10:43 PM
Ten posts in until the 'co-efficient' word was mentioned.. Poor form lads! :p

Spudulika
27/04/2010, 9:38 AM
Just think of the Co-Efficient...

Won't somebody please think of the co-efficient!

hoops1
27/04/2010, 10:57 AM
Can the Irish teams get each other? That would be a disaster

pineapple stu
27/04/2010, 10:59 AM
Guaranteed co-efficient points.

Real ale Madrid
27/04/2010, 11:17 AM
Even if Bohs are seeded they are not guarenteed to go through. Some very tricky ties against the likes of Pyunik and Metalurgs in there. obviously vital they get through a round.

Straightstory
27/04/2010, 11:18 AM
Some good news at last for the LOI. Wow!

Dodge
27/04/2010, 11:28 AM
Can the Irish teams get each other? That would be a disaster

No.

I'm gutted we're not in europe this year after the last couple of seasons. great times

PartySaint
27/04/2010, 12:30 PM
If Bohs do get into the 3rd qualyfing round and then get knocked out will they be seeded in the Eurpa league draw??

Acornvilla
27/04/2010, 1:20 PM
more questions than you can shake a stick at

Real ale Madrid
27/04/2010, 1:58 PM
If Bohs do get into the 3rd qualyfing round and then get knocked out will they be seeded in the Eurpa league draw??

No - they would very likely be one of the very bottom seeds.

OneRedArmy
27/04/2010, 3:35 PM
My sadness at missing out on a European trip or two is only worsened by the prospect of another 4 odd months of incorrect interpretations (we beat a seed so we'll be seeded in the next round), wild jumps of logic (x has a better coefficient than y so they are expected to win...) and to top it all, shouting down of any Longford fan who even mentions "Europe" and "performance" in the same sentence...

osarusan
27/04/2010, 6:09 PM
My sadness at missing out on a European trip or two.
Shur ye make a European trip every away game ye play.;)

bennocelt
27/04/2010, 7:39 PM
No.

I'm gutted we're not in europe this year after the last couple of seasons. great times

Yeah and considering it was Pats in the last two seasons that raised the co-efficients, no justice, eh:(

HarpoJoyce
27/04/2010, 8:41 PM
My sadness at missing out on a European trip or two is only worsened by the prospect of another 4 odd months of incorrect interpretations (we beat a seed so we'll be seeded in the next round), wild jumps of logic (x has a better coefficient than y so they are expected to win...) and to top it all, shouting down of any Longford fan who even mentions "Europe" and "performance" in the same sentence...

I agree, especially as Longford Town's results are still aiding other clubs.
The sensitivity increases from fans whose clubs are in UEFA-sponsored competition, it's a "don't you understand we are in Europe" whinge-fest.
UCD will be making one change in our fixture list in late July and the EA Sports Cup semis are in August (hopefully that won't be a concern).

But I have noticed one club whose fans, to their credit, relaxed after a number games in a short period and so much so met some challenges in travel and access, that in other years the fans would have hit the roof, I would have feared for them. But more recently they did seemed to enjoy themselves far more.

Another problem I have, is over reliance on the Bert Kassiesa website, especially when some poster asks a question and a vague link is given to that site. That's poor form aswell. (I don't even speak plat-deutsh)

Acornvilla
27/04/2010, 8:54 PM
Carmarthen town :( just taught i'd throw that in there

SkStu
27/04/2010, 10:36 PM
Lyon losing tonight has guaranteed Bohs will be seeded. It was extremely likely anyway based on results around the european domestic leagues but Lyon losing means that a team that has already qualified for the CL throught their domestic league position is guaranteed to win the CL now which has, in turn, opened up another spot elsewhere in the draw meaning we move up another place in the rankings for seeding. as explained (better) on the bohs MB some time back...

Yes

The top three in England, Spain and Italy automatically through to the group stages. The CL champions are also automatically through.

If say Chelsea win the CL and also finish in the top three in the EPL the would go through to next seasons group stages as champions but the extra place for finishing in the EPL top three would go to the champions of the next highest ranked league who do not currently automatically qualify for the group stages rather than the fourth placed team in England.

As one team would then leave the Champions qualifier draw Bohs would move up one place in the rankings and be more likely to be seeded.

marinobohs
28/04/2010, 10:06 AM
Lyon losing tonight has guaranteed Bohs will be seeded. It was extremely likely anyway based on results around the european domestic leagues but Lyon losing means that a team that has already qualified for the CL throught their domestic league position is guaranteed to win the CL now which has, in turn, opened up another spot elsewhere in the draw meaning we move up another place in the rankings for seeding. as explained (better) on the bohs MB some time back...

Definately good news but I wouldnt get too hung up on seeding. Still down to the draw and there are very few easy games in europe for LOI teams. We have come a cropper before against so called easier draws :rolleyes:

HarpoJoyce
29/04/2010, 8:26 AM

Glasgow Rangers FC and FC Copenhagen (if they win domestic crown) have benefitted even more, Rangers qualify for the Group Stage and I understand the Danish champions will move up a round (to 3q) to fill the gap left by Rangers.

galwayjames
29/04/2010, 1:14 PM
do bohs still start in the 2nd round?

Real ale Madrid
29/04/2010, 1:28 PM
do bohs still start in the 2nd round?

Yes - only 4 teams in round 1, champs from Montenegro, Andorra, san marino and Malta.

galwayjames
29/04/2010, 1:48 PM
ah right thanks

just noticed the northern irish champs will be in 1st round next year!

sparky12345678
29/04/2010, 2:07 PM
i find the layout of the wikipedia site better (even if they use the same source) than the bert klauss site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Champions_League#Second_quali fying_round

Its not perfect because while it shows bohs seeded it leaves BATE and sheriff tirapsol unseeded, it also shows bohs are below ekranus and helsinki when bohs' seeding is higher than theirs.

Debrecen in hungary will be higher seeded than bohs as well, but anyways thanks to the bumping up of teams due to lyon getting knocked out it looks like bohs will def be seeded.

Basically bohs only have to win 2 rounds (not necessarily consecutively) before getting to the Europa League group stages. win one, lose (drop to EL where st pats were last year, win = EL group stages.....OR
win first two rounds and lose third dropping to EL group stages (which is what RB Salzburg did last year). It should def be easier than last year when they were unlucky not to go through against salzburg (who won their group in the group stages).

As to the EL it is more work to measure seedings of teams but in the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Europa_League#First_qualifyin g_round
Dundalk should be seeded.

In the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Europa_League#Second_qualifyi ng_round

it looks close as has been said shamrock rovers should be seeded and sporting fingal probably not.

So who does who want to get or is it too early for this sort of talk....??

holidaysong
29/04/2010, 2:58 PM
just noticed the northern irish champs will be in 1st round next year!

Only if the 2010/11 winner doesn't qualify through their league, which isn't that likely.. Although if they drop down one more place they would start in the first qualifying round the year after that alright.

HarpoJoyce
29/04/2010, 4:15 PM

Rovers enter at QR2 and therefore won't be seeded. We should be fine for seeding in QR1 alright though.

In the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Europa_League#Second_qualifyi ng_round
it looks close as has been said shamrock rovers should be seeded and sporting fingal probably not.
So who does who want to get or is it too early for this sort of talk....??

Just in relation to 1, 2 and 3 for LoI clubs in Europa League.
I understand because Sporting Fingal won the domestic Cup that they get CW while the others get SRFC (N2) and Dundalk (N3). I am sure it happens regular, that the cut-off point in seeding is down the middle of the same country.
All three have the same co-efficient value, they might all get in second round as seeds.

Does anybody know a competition where a club progressed because of where they came in the Alphabeth.

After Edit:
I have to change my prediction and say that none of the LoI in 2nd qual. will be a seed. There is up to twenty clubs coming from the 1st q. rd. with higher values, added to the clubs in the 2nd q. rd by right and it pushes the LoI clubs out of the top half.

Cymro
01/05/2010, 10:47 PM
Seems a bit harsh that you have Rosenborg, the Serbian champions and BATE on one side of the draw, and the champions of Luxembourg and Andorra on the other. Either the really good teams shouldn't be involved at that stage or there should be an open draw. The Europa League qualifiers feature a bit more of an equal chance for all teams involved, although you still have the chance of drawing a Croatian team which would be tough.

Incidentally, great job by whoever's editing those wikipedia pages.

Ciaran W
02/05/2010, 1:11 AM
First european campaign for me, cannot wait :D

oriel
02/05/2010, 9:10 PM
We`re def seeded in Round 1, pray tell for a Welsh side.

pineapple stu
02/05/2010, 9:41 PM
What's the point of getting into Europe just to go to Wales?

Dodge
02/05/2010, 9:55 PM
To win and get another game

obviously

pineapple stu
02/05/2010, 9:57 PM
Yerrah, you can go more fun places than that!

(No offence to Welshies, cos Wales is quite nice).

SPXcyan
02/05/2010, 9:57 PM
Precisely.. tisnt about location tis about co-efficients xD

oriel
03/05/2010, 9:10 AM
A trip to Wales would be great, they have two clubs going into the draw for a start, prob best chance of progression for us and also great opportunity for fans to travel in big numbers to the away game. However there might be a few problems if we draw anyone with a decent away support though (from any country) as we will only have around 3,000 seats less the usual not for sale/press allocation.

I think this reduces us to a limit of 2,500 paying punters, maybe less, so a lot will be disappointed. But at least we have the game at home and hopefully can add to the seating capacity at a later stage.

RĂ©iteoir
03/05/2010, 1:33 PM
The trip we had to Rhyl a couple of years ago was pretty good - as it allowed those who couldn't normally afford to go halfway across Europe the chance of an away trip

SkStu
10/05/2010, 8:26 PM
http://www.airtricityleague.com/index.php/about/press-office/2051-ireland-finishes-sixth-in-uefa-respect-fair-play-table-

no extra spot for Irish teams through fair play this year unfortunately.

Hairy Bowsie
10/05/2010, 9:31 PM
Am i the first to say, i hope every Irish club in europe, gets knocked out in their first game?

Oh and stick your co-efficent up your hole

Dodge
10/05/2010, 9:42 PM
Not the first. Plenty of others feel the same

RoversHead
10/05/2010, 9:49 PM
Am i the first to say, i hope every Irish club in europe, gets knocked out in their first game?

Oh and stick your co-efficent up your holeNot the first but it means that much more when you say it ha ha ha ha...your great grand kids might like the co-efficent maintained but then again they might not be too botherd either ha ha ha ha.

corkharps
10/05/2010, 11:42 PM
Summer season was brought in so that we would regularly have a team in the group stages of the CL or later the Europa league. It has failed miserably,now lets forget about playing games in youknowicanistan etc and pay more attention in promoting and developing our own league. IMO a return to the traditional season is a must. Take the Rovers feelgood factor out of the equation and crowds are desperate. It would be great to see BOEEZ do well in the CL, but at the end of the day ,Bill, does it put bums on seats in Ballybofey/Waterford/Limerick/Galway etc

Dodge
11/05/2010, 12:12 AM
Who said that was the reason for summer football? I've never once heard about any targets...