PDA

View Full Version : Mick McCarthy

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Bray-Z
23/04/2010, 12:33 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/29qmrko.gif

Sorry for starting a whole new thread for this but its worth a giggle!

Charlie Darwin
23/04/2010, 1:29 AM
The "I've just fingered a lass" one is still the best. That's a movie star shot, though. Mick might have higher ambitions than mere football management...

The Fly
23/04/2010, 4:57 AM

Sorry for starting a whole new thread for this but its worth a giggle!

Already here http://foot.ie/threads/129542-Mick-McCarthy...Shame-on-you in the World Football section (page 6).

Although, it's always worth a repeat viewing!
Here it is without the link;

(shame indeed Mick :rolleyes:)

The Fly
23/04/2010, 4:58 AM
The "I've just fingered a lass" one is still the best.

Which one's that?

Charlie Darwin
23/04/2010, 5:53 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/wttv9u.gif

ArdeeBhoy
21/11/2013, 12:23 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152129364801042&set=a.402744126041.195406.396192711041&type=1&theater

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/943006_10152129364801042_338830760_n.png

Professor K
21/11/2013, 1:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OQT1psCoAc

DeLorean
07/02/2014, 12:57 PM
http://pogmogoal.com/wp-content/uploads/mick-mccarthy-dugout.jpg

Happy Birthday Mick! (http://pogmogoal.com/the-blog-reel/happy-birthday-big-mick/17547/)

back of the net
18/02/2014, 10:56 AM
http://ballsdot.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/mickmccarthytea.gif

TheOneWhoKnocks
02/03/2014, 1:52 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/mccarthy-still-making-the-most-of-the-hand-hes-dealt-30053926.html

Candid interview with Paul Kimmage.

DeLorean
22/10/2014, 4:17 PM
Players were pressurised into meeting Thatcher (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/players-were-pressurised-into-meeting-thatcher.20785892)

DannyInvincible
22/10/2014, 4:43 PM
The content is blocked behind a paywall. Can you paste in the juicy bits?

Stuttgart88
22/10/2014, 4:50 PM
Basically it's a story about how Thatcher visited the SFA Cup Final between Celtic and Dundee United in the late 80s amid a toxic backdrop and deep unpopularity among the populace and many of the players and managers. The officials choreographed behind the scenes meetings and handshakes but Mick McCarthy steadfastly refused to meet her, being from a mining community.

Good man Mick.

Closed Account
22/10/2014, 4:54 PM
The content is blocked behind a paywall. Can you paste in the juicy bits?http://pastebin.com/y8rDfWgu

DannyInvincible
22/10/2014, 7:14 PM
Cheers! Funnily, it's working for me now on my laptop, whereas, earlier, my phone was telling me I needed a subscription for the site.

Fair play to McCarthy. I recall seeing some footage of this in Scottish-pride type programmes in the run-up to the independence referendum, but what on earth was Thatcher thinking attending a final between, of all teams, Dundee United and Celtic?

When I first briefly had a look on my phone, all that I could see was the headline and the photo with the remainder of the content blocked:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/400xY/2013/4/20787663.JPG

At first glance on the smaller screen, I thought it was Kevin Moran, Packie and Tony Cascarino lined up to meet her with some archaic FAI crest I'd never seen before on their blazer pockets, but it all makes sense now. Mind you, I'd have expected better from Packie!

Kingdom
23/10/2014, 9:08 PM
Love listening to McCarthy - that interview with Kimmage is excellent.

Would it be fair to say that Dundee/Dundee United, Hearts/Hibs and Rangers/Celtic would all be on the same sort of divide

Charlie Darwin
23/10/2014, 9:17 PM
In what sense? Far as I know, Rangers/Celtic is the only with a sectarian dimension. Hibs and Hearts hate each other, but Hibs play down their Irish identity in spite (or perhaps in sympathy with) Hearts' anti-Irish tendencies. In Dundee the Irish background is not even acknowledged as far as I know.

DannyInvincible
23/10/2014, 9:32 PM
Would it be fair to say that Dundee/Dundee United, Hearts/Hibs and Rangers/Celtic would all be on the same sort of divide

'Twould, I suppose, originally-speaking. Dundee United were initially established as Dundee Hibernian by Dundee's Edinburgh Hibs-inspired Irish Catholic community following the disbandment of Dundee Harp. They originally wore green and white (http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Dundee_United/Dundee_United.htm) before adopting new colours (black and white) to appeal to the wider community.

Although they've, since the start of the '70s, gone all out to appeal to the other side and now wear orange!

Kingdom
23/10/2014, 9:58 PM
In what sense? Far as I know, Rangers/Celtic is the only with a sectarian dimension. Hibs and Hearts hate each other, but Hibs play down their Irish identity in spite (or perhaps in sympathy with) Hearts' anti-Irish tendencies. In Dundee the Irish background is not even acknowledged as far as I know.

As DI suspected, I did mean n that sense. Obviously Hibs background is well known, and Hearts have a huge history with the British Army. I thought I had read somewhere in a fanzine about Dundee being ueber Protestant.

None of that stuff matters to me I might add, just to reference to Thatcher and Dundee United above caught my eye.

Charlie Darwin
23/10/2014, 10:25 PM
As DI suspected, I did mean n that sense. Obviously Hibs background is well known, and Hearts have a huge history with the British Army. I thought I had read somewhere in a fanzine about Dundee being ueber Protestant.

None of that stuff matters to me I might add, just to reference to Thatcher and Dundee United above caught my eye.
Ha, to be honest the same occurred to me. I'm not an expert on Scottish teams but as far as I know (and as Danny says) United have made an effort to play down their ethnic heritage and to be a catch-all club. I'd say the DU objection to Thatcher was more due to working class roots than anything Irish (although in a lot of cases they're the same thing).

DannyInvincible
23/10/2014, 11:54 PM

There's definitely still a sectarian element in Edinburgh in the sense that you mention; Hearts' anti-Irish Catholic tendencies. Isn't Hearts-Celtic often a tense and hostile affair? Neil Lennon was physically attacked by a pitch invader a few seasons back and there was also a bit of controversy relating to political/religious/sectarian chanting from both sets of supporters.

Do Hibs actively play down their Irish heritage? Why not adopt a new crest and name, if so? Isn't it kind of integral to their existence? They have a few Irish players in their squad/youth teams, whereas Hearts don't have any; not that they necessarily have to in order to demonstrate they're an equal-opportunities employer and all that, but maybe it's a sign of enduring cultural biases or influences?

In Dundee, the Irish heritage of United may not be explicitly acknowledged by the club or city-folk any longer, but there's surely a lingering influence of the original socio-cultural identities of the respective communities who originally supported both Dundee clubs to be found within the modern communities who associate themselves with either team. I think you allude to that anyway in your last post in the sense that United are or have been seen as the working class club; for many in Dundee, historically, an Irish experience also happened to be a working class experience and a working class experience happened to be an Irish experience.

Charlie Darwin
24/10/2014, 12:14 AM
There's definitely still a sectarian element in Edinburgh in the sense that you mention; Hearts' anti-Irish Catholic tendencies. Isn't Hearts-Celtic often a tense and hostile affair? Neil Lennon was physically attacked by a pitch invader a few seasons back and there was also a bit of controversy relating to political/religious/sectarian chanting from both sets of supporters.

Do Hibs actively play down their Irish heritage? Why not adopt a new crest and name, if so? Isn't it kind of integral to their existence? They have a few Irish players in their squad/youth teams, whereas Hearts don't have any; not that they necessarily have to in order to demonstrate they're an equal-opportunities employer and all that, but maybe it's a sign of enduring cultural biases or influences?

In Dundee, the Irish heritage of United may not be explicitly acknowledged by the club or city-folk any longer, but there's surely a lingering influence of the original socio-cultural identities of the respective communities who originally supported both Dundee clubs to be found within the modern communities who associate themselves with either team. I think you allude to that anyway in your last post in the sense that United are or have been seen as the working class club; for many in Dundee, historically, an Irish experience also happened to be a working class experience and a working class experience happened to be an Irish experience.
Well I'm not disagreeing with you on any of that (my subsequent posts alluded to what you say about Irish-working class connections). Hibs have actively played down their Irish heritage though. They removed the harp for 50 years for god's sake!

ArdeeBhoy
24/10/2014, 12:24 AM
You mean as in on their current badge, albeit not the biggest...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/37/Hibernian_FC_logo.svg/427px-Hibernian_FC_logo.svg.png

DannyInvincible
24/10/2014, 12:30 AM
Hibs have actively played down their Irish heritage though. They removed the harp for 50 years for god's sake!

Hadn't been aware of that. Was this the old crest?

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/sites/default/files/styles/logo-thumbnail/public/122010/hibernian_edinburg_shotlandiya_old_logo3.png

ArdeeBhoy
24/10/2014, 12:38 AM
Dunno, you're broadly right about Dundee though Danny...

The best point about the place in recent times, is it was even more pro-independence than even Glasgow.

There's a lot more I could say about both places, as in there & Edinburgh, but can't be bothered to pick through every semantic on the basis it might cause 'offence', so will leave that at now.

DeLorean
24/10/2014, 8:55 AM
Why did they choose to regain our harp?

Wangball
24/10/2014, 10:21 AM
Dundee (Fundee) is a cool place, I went to Uni in Glasgow and when we played a rugby match against Dundee we'd always stay over night. One thing you'd notice about the town is there are a lot of Irish sounding names, Dundee was one of the places that Irish immigrants could find work in the late 1800's so a load of them stopped, dropped and opened up shopp(ed)!

Lots of Irish people in the Uni too, really is a great town full of cheap beer and easily impressed girls.

ArdeeBhoy
24/10/2014, 10:33 AM
Jute mills, marmalade (!!) factories & clothes? manufacturing were the original reasons for immigration. Now, Tesco...

DeLorean
24/10/2014, 10:34 AM
really is a great town full of cheap beer and easily impressed girls.

Kind of regretting booking accommodation in Edinburgh after reading that :)

Stuttgart88
24/10/2014, 11:28 AM
I was in Dundee on business a couple of years ago and wondered to myself how come such a sh1thole spawned two football teams that were very competitive in Europe and, in hindsight, what an opportunity the LOI teams had wasted. Back then plenty of teams like the Dundees, Gothenburg, Malmo did remarkable things in Europe.

Sorry, wangball, in my limited time in Dundee I just didn't see the bits you saw!

Dunners
24/10/2014, 11:30 AM
Hearts commonly known as "The Wee Huns" and are as vocal or more vocal with the sectarian bile than there blue nose cousins at castle grey skull

Junior
24/10/2014, 12:34 PM
On a pedantic note...I have seen above in a few posts and often hear the linking of the blue half of Glasgow to Castle Grey Skull. However, I believe (and my memories from childhood unfortunately don't retain this information) is that it should in fact be referred to as Snake Mountain as Castle Greyskull is where He-Man got his good powers from!

Castle Greyskull

Definition
Ibrox, the stadium where Rangers play. The term Castle Greyskull comes from the "He-Man" cartoon animations, but has lost popularity in recent years, since it was noted that the "Sorceress" who lives there is actually a goodie not a baddie. However it is one ugly building so more than fits Ibrox in that sense but nothing more.

One of the highlights of the term was in January 2006 when a weathergirl (Kirsty McCabe) on Reporting Scotland was presenting to the weather report, and jokingly referred to Ibrox as "Castle Greyskull"! She briefly gained some measure of notoriety following the forecast as she had recommended to Rangers fans heading to their game to "wrap up warm if they are heading for Castle Grayskull"!
http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Castle+Greyskull?t=anon

Anyway, more on topic, some years ago I was at Easter Road for a Hibs v Celtic game. I was in with the home fans behind the goal (couldn't get a Celtic Ticket at the time) and whenever the Celtic Support got in to full voice with a variety of Irish songs, this was met with quite aggressive anti-irish responses from the home support. I was quite surprised by this, as whilst I didn't expect Hibs fans to be bosom buddies with the Celtic support - I assumed (wrongly) that there would be some element of solidarity/camaraderie. The group I was with kept it fairly well hidden who we were in support of and wearing a green and white scarf didn't give it away either! Marc Rieper scored in a 1-0 for those interested:D

Wangball
24/10/2014, 1:11 PM
Sorry, wangball, in my limited time in Dundee I just didn't see the bits you saw!

The view I shared of Dundee was one held by my 18-22 year old self, I'm not sure I'd hold that view myself nowadays....I've since lost my beer tinted glasses!

Hearts commonly known as "The Wee Huns" and are as vocal or more vocal with the sectarian bile than there blue nose cousins at castle grey skull

I went to a Hearts V Spurs preseason game in Tynecastle a good few years back, Robbie Keane got injured and was stretchered off and I swear I've never heart insults like it. The crowd were hurling abuse at him - in some instances worse than you'd hear in Ibrox

DeLorean
24/10/2014, 1:25 PM
Sad state of affairs. Of course, and maybe not on the same scale, we have plenty of morons ourselves. Remember that friendly at Lansdowne when some run of the mill Rangers player was being booed? Did it transpire that they were even booing the wrong player at one stage? My memory is patchy on this but I have Denmark in my head for some reason, so maybe it was (or meant to be) Lovenkrands? Was it Arveladze that was booed another time against Georgia, or maybe it was that defender with the long name that also played for Blackburn? Cringing stuff anyway.

tetsujin1979
24/10/2014, 1:41 PM
Sad state of affairs. Of course, and maybe not on the same scale, we have plenty of morons ourselves. Remember that friendly at Lansdowne when some run of the mill Rangers player was being booed? Did it transpire that they were even booing the wrong player at one stage? My memory is patchy on this but I have Denmark in my head for some reason, so maybe it was (or meant to be) Lovenkrands? Was it Arveladze that was booed another time against Georgia, or maybe it was that defender with the long name that also played for Blackburn? Cringing stuff anyway.
yeah, the announcer said it was Peter Lovenkrands, but it was Peter Madsen

Was at a Norway game when Tore Andre Flo was warming up in front of the north terrace and he got booed, but just played up to the crowd and got a laugh about it

DannyInvincible
24/10/2014, 1:49 PM
Some would surely self-implode out of sheer confusion if Jon Daly ever lined out for us.

Stuttgart88
24/10/2014, 2:38 PM
I still think the reaction to the Lansdowne booing was hysterical and generally ill-informed. It was never malicious, much more of the pantomime variety. It was described on RTE chat shows as sectarian which was nonsense. What is sectarian about booing a representative of an overtly sectarian and wholly anti-Irish institution that even the Scots are embarrassed by? The way the Irish fans reacted to the PA announcer by then cheering Madsen and booing any Irish player said it all, as did Mick McCarthy's reaction. Mick wouldn't have condoned any sectarian behaviour but he completely "got it" and showed his displeasure at the announcer. The booing stopped soon afterwards and probably rightly so, - especially as it should be recognised that Celtic and Ireland are by no means interchangeable - but it was never a braying mob making a sectarian statement. If anything it was anti-sectarian.

This was discussed ad nauseam here years ago!

Kingdom
24/10/2014, 2:48 PM
The booing of the Irish players afterwards was one of the funniest things I've experienced at a football match. The South Terrace was a great place to be when we starting going in the mid-90's.

You've to contend with "shoes off.." now.

tetsujin1979
24/10/2014, 3:05 PM
Some would surely self-implode out of sheer confusion if Jon Daly ever lined out for us.
I got some abuse on twitter from some people after posting his goals for Rangers, nobody had a problem with him scoring for Dundee United!

Charlie Darwin
24/10/2014, 3:15 PM
I got some abuse on twitter from some people after posting his goals for Rangers, nobody had a problem with him scoring for Dundee United!
Ah Jaysus. Some prize gob****es out there. No problem supporting English teams I'll bet.

DeLorean
24/10/2014, 3:33 PM
What is sectarian about booing a representative of an overtly sectarian and wholly anti-Irish institution that even the Scots are embarrassed by?

He's just a footballer, not a member of the UVF. Anyway, I think the initial booing was a bit embarrassing but my memory of the Lovenkrands thing is pretty hazy. I just remember George Hamilton having a hizzy fit! Does anybody else remember the Georgia booing(s)?

geysir
24/10/2014, 7:27 PM
The only reason some players were booed was because they played with Rangers at some stage, so what? it wasn't sectarian, just stupid. Same way Jaap Stam was also booed whenever he touched the ball (Sept 2001 v Holland) for some reason unknown to me but I presume it was stupid, stupid but possibly had some effect on Jaap:)

sadloserkid
24/10/2014, 8:31 PM
Hearts have had Irish players. Alan Maybury was there for a spell wasn't he? Shaun Kelly (Derry City, ex-Limerick, Dundalk) played his youth football there.

DeLorean
24/10/2014, 8:38 PM
Who said it was sectarian? I just said it they were cringing morons.

geysir
24/10/2014, 9:03 PM
Who said it was sectarian? I just said it they were cringing morons.
It's not all about you:)
Some people referred to it as sectarian at the time, read Stutt's post and also some here referred to it as sectarian in some thread years ago.

ArdeeBhoy
24/10/2014, 9:09 PM
Tbf, AFAIK, Irish fans have only ever booed certain Liverpool, Man.U players & those of a club, who are now a tribute act.
'Childish', maybe, but certainly admit to slagging some (of even our own) way beyond booing over the years.

However, would like to think the whole stadium/country would have made an exception anyway, for a certain J.T*rry, had he ever played against us...

DeLorean
24/10/2014, 9:14 PM
It's not all about you:)
Some people referred to it as sectarian at the time, read Stutt's post and also some here referred to it as sectarian in some thread years ago.

It is all about me. This was once a happy go lucky Mick McCarthy funny thread, before I got my claws into it.

Charlie Darwin
24/10/2014, 11:10 PM
The only reason some players were booed was because they played with Rangers at some stage, so what? it wasn't sectarian, just stupid. Same way Jaap Stam was also booed whenever he touched the ball (Sept 2001 v Holland) for some reason unknown to me but I presume it was stupid, stupid but possibly had some effect on Jaap:)
It was because he was wearing orange, duh.

ArdeeBhoy
24/10/2014, 11:28 PM
As opposed to the rest of the Dutch team...

Charlie Darwin
24/10/2014, 11:37 PM
Oh god, you're right - the whole team were wearing orange!! I feel so stupid.