PDA

View Full Version : New Dundalk Manager

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Rovers1
05/12/2009, 1:22 PM
.Youve ended up with a very inexperienced young manager , seems like a strange call for you to make .

Wouldn't call him inexperienced. He has two years experience, and did pretty well with a mediocre Galway side last year.

Doomofman
05/12/2009, 1:32 PM
Wouldn't call him inexperienced. He has two years experience, and did pretty well with a mediocre Galway side last year.

Only avoided a relegation play off because Derry got thrown out is not what I'd call doing 'pretty well'

Rovers1
05/12/2009, 1:34 PM
Only avoided a relegation play off because Derry got thrown out is not what I'd call doing 'pretty well'

Well at one stage they were about 12 points above 8th. Fair enough they fell apart near the end and probably ended up in a fair enough position. I just think Foster was the best choice out of the domestic managers.

Ezeikial
05/12/2009, 1:36 PM
The dogs on the street know you wanted matthews to become your new manager .Youve ended up with a very inexperienced young manager , seems like a strange call for you to make .

The dogs on the street know that Alan Matthews ruled himself out of consideration when he decided to take up his employers offer to return to his banking job. Dundalk were never going to consider (never mind "want") a part time manager for a full time team.

Dillonman
05/12/2009, 1:50 PM

To be fair though he inherited a team that had been decamated by the whole financial fiasco from the previous year, the budget was a shoestring and Galway Utd(no offence to any Galway lads on here) wouldnt be the most attractive place to go and play football in terms of footballing prospects. What Im saying is, for example I think alot of players would be more attracted to ply their trade in the Dublin and surrounding areas so he was limited on who he could attract to Galway last season and did a decent job. I just dont want him coming out every week on MNS and saying we are in a relegation dog fight etc etc etc even though they had a great start last season.

Nesta99
05/12/2009, 2:18 PM
The dogs on the street know you wanted matthews to become your new manager .Youve ended up with a very inexperienced young manager , seems like a strange call for you to make .

Maybe the Drogs in the street, cause Dundalk were never interested in a p/t manager..

eh yeah as Ezekial said

Terry
05/12/2009, 2:25 PM
To be fair though he inherited a team that had been decamated by the whole financial fiasco from the previous year, the budget was a shoestring and Galway Utd(no offence to any Galway lads on here) wouldnt be the most attractive place to go and play football in terms of footballing prospects. What Im saying is, for example I think alot of players would be more attracted to ply their trade in the Dublin and surrounding areas so he was limited on who he could attract to Galway last season and did a decent job. I just dont want him coming out every week on MNS and saying we are in a relegation dog fight etc etc etc even though they had a great start last season.

Thats not exactly right. The team from the season beforehand was decamated half way through when kenna was in charge (which was the same time that Foster had arrived) so he never seen any of those issues. The team he started with last season was virtually the same as the team he first met on arrival in galway bar adding a few failures from england and some of the up and coming players based in the galway region. His only successful find really was greene. What he did do was teach them to play football on the ground for a change rather than the route one football we were used to. If he had a stronger defence it would have been more visable to onlookers who weren't used to watching GUFC week in week out

ndrog
05/12/2009, 2:26 PM
Your making the exact same point as i did , you wanted mathews but he decided to stay in Drogheda and return to his job .You ended up with your 3rd or 4 th choice did you not ?

Dillonman
05/12/2009, 2:53 PM
Thats not exactly right. The team from the season beforehand was decamated half way through when kenna was in charge (which was the same time that Foster had arrived) so he never seen any of those issues. The team he started with last season was virtually the same as the team he first met on arrival in galway bar adding a few failures from england and some of the up and coming players based in the galway region. His only successful find really was greene. What he did do was teach them to play football on the ground for a change rather than the route one football we were used to. If he had a stronger defence it would have been more visable to onlookers who weren't used to watching GUFC week in week out

He did bring in Kelly and Guthrie and a few Utd fans I'v spoken to where happoy with them and Russell had a new lease of life this year too didnt he.

oriel
05/12/2009, 3:22 PM

You`re well off the mark here, take a quick tour of orielweb to see the opposition to the even suggestion of going after Matthews, possibly the most boring man in football there is.

Foster was a surprise, no doubt there, first choice was Kenny, think Doolin also mentioned but AM never in the running.

dong
05/12/2009, 3:26 PM
This is a big challenge for Foster now. Dundalk is a totally different proposition to Galway. Higher expectations in a proper footballing town with a particularly passionate brand of supporter. Will be interesting to see how he handles it.

ndrog
05/12/2009, 3:33 PM
You`re well off the mark here, take a quick tour of orielweb to see the opposition to the even suggestion of going after Matthews, possibly the most boring man in football there is.

Foster was a surprise, no doubt there, first choice was Kenny, think Doolin also mentioned but AM never in the running.

ok then at the third attempt to make this point :rolleyes: you where 100 % interested in mattthews going to Dundalk and he turned you down .Your ill informed opinion of him has nothing to do with it ! And i presume your have arrived at this view from seeing his team in one season fighting relegation , in which i may add he was sucessful .

Celdrog
05/12/2009, 3:33 PM
You`re well off the mark here, take a quick tour of orielweb to see the opposition to the even suggestion of going after Matthews, possibly the most boring man in football there is. But a quick tour of orielweb in the last few weeks will show even bigger opposition to Foster. A tour of it this morning already has several Dundalk fans giving out about it.

I'm still surprised that Kenny didn't take it, must be totally down to family reasons

Dillonman
05/12/2009, 3:36 PM
Extended interview with Foster up now:

He comes across well and seems to know his stuff.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/news/091204_Conference.asp

oriel
05/12/2009, 4:04 PM
But a quick tour of orielweb in the last few weeks will show even bigger opposition to Foster. A tour of it this morning already has several Dundalk fans giving out about it.

I'm still surprised that Kenny didn't take it, must be totally down to family reasons

I would agree with you on both points there, I wouldn`t personally have gone for Foster, but I`m well prepared to give him a chance. Think Kenny didnt want to uproot his family from Donegal, which was a shame.

Sure we`re both winners in this, you get to keep your manager and we didnt want him.

Even ndrog has to happy with that :D

gufc2000
05/12/2009, 5:12 PM
Disagree with you there. I thought Barry Ryan, Shane Guthrie and Garry Breen were very good signings aswell

ndrog
05/12/2009, 5:50 PM
I would agree with you on both points there, I wouldn`t personally have gone for Foster, but I`m well prepared to give him a chance. Think Kenny didnt want to uproot his family from Donegal, which was a shame.

Sure we`re both winners in this, you get to keep your manager and we didnt want him.

Even ndrog has to happy with that :D

yep im happy we kept our manager and your in denial about wanting him ;)

Sam_Heggy
05/12/2009, 5:50 PM

Since when is 2 years involved in management of a side called experienced?

As for doing pretty well with Galway? Ok he's done ok but as outlined here before, they only avoided a relegation play-off by Derry getting booted out of the League. Would you say Hegarty done a good job at Harps in 2008? If Derry were booted out in 2008 then we would have stayed up. We were also 7 points clear of relegation with a few games left.

Sometimes football fans never cease to amaze. Foster is the latest craze, just like Kenna was last year. Look where that got Pats.

Ezeikial
05/12/2009, 5:58 PM
ok then at the third attempt to make this point :rolleyes: you where 100 % interested in mattthews going to Dundalk and he turned you down .

Third attempt and still not much sense!

I'll try the a-b-c approach to explain it to you:
A) Matthews did not turn down the job because it was not offered to him
B) It was not offered to him because he was not availble for a full time managers job
C) It's completely hypothetical and unfathomable, as to what the interest level (percentage??) would have been, if he had been available for consideration for the job.

Hope that clears it up for you.

MyTown
05/12/2009, 8:31 PM
Best of luck to Ian Foster-I really enjoyed the football served up in Terryland while he was in charge & I don't believe he owed us anything.

For a manager to last longer than a season these days seems to be asking a lot.

As for some of the patronising comments from some of the lads who follow the so-called "proper" clubs.......:rolleyes:

oriel
05/12/2009, 10:11 PM
ndrog, will you please stop - you are close to cringo on this one.

He was on the list, but nothing ever happened, he can only manage part time clubs, so DFC never took it any further.

Ps his 'performances' on ireland am on tv3 with his preview on the champions lge games, is always a point of humour in our office, certainly gives me a good laugh before I leave the house for work, the drogheda managers 'opinion' on the likes of ac milan v barcelona. Oh dear.

:o (FOR YOU)

Terry
05/12/2009, 11:01 PM
Disagree with you there. I thought Barry Ryan, Shane Guthrie and Garry Breen were very good signings aswell

Leeson brought in Ryan

Shane Guthrie turned up at terryland on his own accord looking for first team football after cobh went belly up.

I forgot about Breen :o

sligoman
06/12/2009, 1:26 AM
Would you say Hegarty done a good job at Harps in 2008?His work made me happy anyway:).

Dillonman
06/12/2009, 9:54 AM
Paul Hegarty and ex Spurs player Paul Allen linked today to be Foster's assistant.

SMorgan
06/12/2009, 9:56 AM
His work made me happy anyway:).

There is a rumour going around in Dundalk circles, that Sligo signed Chris Turner on the basis of money they'd get from winning the cup. Its said that the contract has been broken before the ink was dry. Anything to it?

Ezeikial
06/12/2009, 9:58 AM
Paul Hegarty and ex Spurs player Paul Allen linked today to be Foster's assistant.

Foster and Allen - will they wear the leprechaun suits too?

Dillonman
06/12/2009, 10:00 AM
Foster and Allen - will they wear the leprechaun suits too?

They might do, you'd never know.

ndrog
06/12/2009, 2:30 PM
ndrog, will you please stop - you are close to cringo on this one.

He was on the list, but nothing ever happened, he can only manage part time clubs, so DFC never took it any further.

Ps his 'performances' on ireland am on tv3 with his preview on the champions lge games, is always a point of humour in our office, certainly gives me a good laugh before I leave the house for work, the drogheda managers 'opinion' on the likes of ac milan v barcelona. Oh dear.

:o (FOR YOU)

Cringo ? is that something to do with xmas :confused: Ok for the last time then , we seem to be making the same point over and over again ! you wanted AM to be your manager and he didnt want to be .End of FFS ! As for his commentary on tv , why would i give a toss ? And dont get me started on cringe worthy managers behaviour , you had the king :D

Dillonman
06/12/2009, 2:38 PM
Cringo ? is that something to do with xmas :confused: Ok for the last time then , we seem to be making the same point over and over again ! you wanted AM to be your manager and he didnt want to be .End of FFS ! As for his commentary on tv , why would i give a toss ? And dont get me started on cringe worthy managers behaviour , you had the king :D

Your argument is getting boring to be honest. He was on a list of potential candidates but was never interviewed, end off. Therefore, technically he was never wanted. Anyone can end up on a list of potential candidates, I'm sure every bloody manager in the country would be on a list except for O'Neill and Fenlon as they would never leave their respective jobs.

blue til i die
06/12/2009, 3:00 PM
Your argument is getting boring to be honest. He was on a list of potential candidates but was never interviewed, end off. Therefore, technically he was never wanted. Anyone can end up on a list of potential candidates, I'm sure every bloody manager in the country would be on a list except for O'Neill and Fenlon as they would never leave their respective jobs.

i see :o

Celdrog
06/12/2009, 3:04 PM
Did Dundalk want a full time manager - Yes
Did Alan Matthews want to be a full time manager - No
Did Dundalk want Alan Matthews as he was going back to the bank - No
Did Dundalk want Alan Matthews if he wasn't going back to the bank - Probably.

Everybody's right and everybody wins a prize. Well done

Nesta99
06/12/2009, 3:25 PM

Sorry Dillonman but that was a poorly constructed point!

If Drogheda fans really need to think that Dundalk covet their manager well let them. All in all a pointless argument but i'm sure there were many names on a list that were ruled out early and never approached. As Alan Matthews ruled himself out we will never know if he would have been on a shortlist or whether we would have asked Drogheda to speak to him.

The more i think and hear about Fosters appointment the better i feel about it tbh as initially it seemed like a panic appointment, but it seems that Foster was a serious option even before Kenny turned down the job. He is held in high regard in Galway and with greater resources could do very well. Previous 'risky' appointments have not worked out - Hewitt, Anderson, Gannon to a lesser extent, so maybe this time!

Dillonman
06/12/2009, 3:42 PM
Sorry Dillonman but that was a poorly constructed point!

If Drogheda fans really need to think that Dundalk covet their manager well let them. All in all a pointless argument but i'm sure there were many names on a list that were ruled out early and never approached. As Alan Matthews ruled himself out we will never know if he would have been on a shortlist or whether we would have asked Drogheda to speak to him.

The more i think and hear about Fosters appointment the better i feel about it tbh as initially it seemed like a panic appointment, but it seems that Foster was a serious option even before Kenny turned down the job. He is held in high regard in Galway and with greater resources could do very well. Previous 'risky' appointments have not worked out - Hewitt, Anderson, Gannon to a lesser extent, so maybe this time!

Im off the same opinion Nesta, he seems to know his stuff and spoke well the other night. Interview now on LMFM with him.

Martinho II
06/12/2009, 6:03 PM
this is a totally random point but did dillonman not used to be a longford town fan? or am I thinking of the wrong guy??:confused:

Ezeikial
06/12/2009, 8:25 PM
Ok for the last time then , we seem to be making the same point over and over again ! you wanted AM to be your manager and he didnt want to be .

It's time that Dundalk fans fessed up on this one. Alan Matthews was on the list - number 176.

The wish list top ten can now be exclusively revealed on foot.ie

1) Fabio Cappello............he also wanted to stay with his part time job
2) Sven-Goran Erikson.....insisted on a 25 year contract
3) Diego Maradona..........Told us to *'@# off
4) Jose Mouriniho............Said he couldn't understand us
5) Kenny Daglish.............We couldn't understand him
6) Bill Shankley...............Didn't answer
7) Colm Meaney..............Would do afternoon matinees only
8) Stephen McGuinness....He knew we would sack him after a week
9) Kilfenora Ceile Band.....Demanded a bigger dug-out
10) Gary Glitter..............was only interested in the youth team job

We were working our way through the list (we got as far as number 172) when a fella rang for the job - we thought he was Steve Foster, but sure he sounded keen. Sorry we didn't get as far as Alan Matthews. But theres always next year.

SMorgan
06/12/2009, 10:03 PM
But theres always next year.

and he's not joking.

Dillonman
06/12/2009, 10:16 PM
this is a totally random point but did dillonman not used to be a longford town fan? or am I thinking of the wrong guy??:confused:

I duno where you got that from, Im from Dundalk and have always supported Dundalk FC, if this is in relation to me asking you about Stuart Byrne playing for ye the seaosn ye got promoted in 1999 or so then that was just a general question. Iv always paid had a good interest in the Eircom League/LOI the past 12 years or so.

SligoBrewer
07/12/2009, 1:30 AM
There is a rumour going around in Dundalk circles, that Sligo signed Chris Turner on the basis of money they'd get from winning the cup. Its said that the contract has been broken before the ink was dry. Anything to it?
Off topic post, needs serious moderation.

Sam_Heggy
07/12/2009, 8:00 AM
I duno where you got that from, Im from Dundalk and have always supported Dundalk FC, if this is in relation to me asking you about Stuart Byrne playing for ye the seaosn ye got promoted in 1999 or so then that was just a general question. Iv always paid had a good interest in the Eircom League/LOI the past 12 years or so.

I think you had to put too much effort into that post. You really support the big club don't you?
Don't worry your among friends here, you can reveal your secrets, no matter how shameful :cool:

marinobohs
07/12/2009, 9:52 AM
Nick Leeson is doing a good job of shouting this up, and distracting attention from the fact that Galway have lost successive managers.

The reality is that privately Nicky boy has absolutely no problem with Foster leaving - with the resultant salary saving. I don't know if Fosters contract has been honoured fully by Galway, but I seriously doubt if the angry public words by Nick are for anyone's consumption other then the dwindling Galway Utd supporters.

Foster resigned, Dundalk appointed him - it happens, accept it and move on Galway

Soooooo the club that took such a "principled" stance over the Dave Rogers incident think it OK to encourage a manager to break his contract and sign for them ? Double standards or Dundalk hypocracy ?

My, my the "high moral ground" at Oriel is really slipping :rolleyes:

Nesta99
07/12/2009, 10:20 AM
Soooooo the club that took such a "principled" stance over the Dave Rogers incident think it OK to encourage a manager to break his contract and sign for them ? Double standards or Dundalk hypocracy ?

My, my the "high moral ground" at Oriel is really slipping :rolleyes:

Would that be the same moral high ground and principled stance that saw you unfairly dismiss your previous manager?

Dundalk fans believe that wrongs aren't wrongs when its done by nice people like ourselves and anyway Galway were already in breach of contract

ndrog
07/12/2009, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=Ezeikial;1289185]It's time that Dundalk fans fessed up on this one. Alan Matthews was on the list - number 176.

The wish list top ten can now be exclusively revealed on foot.ie

1) Fabio Cappello............he also wanted to stay with his part time job
2) Sven-Goran Erikson.....insisted on a 25 year contract
3) Diego Maradona..........Told us to *'@# off
4) Jose Mouriniho............Said he couldn't understand us
5) Kenny Daglish.............We couldn't understand him
6) Bill Shankley...............Didn't answer
7) Colm Meaney..............Would do afternoon matinees only
8) Stephen McGuinness....He knew we would sack him after a week
9) Kilfenora Ceile Band.....Demanded a bigger dug-out
10) Gary Glitter..............was only interested in the youth team job

We were working our way through the list (we got as far as number 172) when a fella rang for the job - we thought he was Steve Foster, but sure he sounded keen. Sorry we didn't get as far as Alan Matthews. But theres always next year.[/QUOT

Way to much effort there mate ! i like the gary glitter line though :D

marinobohs
07/12/2009, 11:54 AM
Would that be the same moral high ground and principled stance that saw you unfairly dismiss your previous manager?

Dundalk fans believe that wrongs aren't wrongs when its done by nice people like ourselves and anyway Galway were already in breach of contract

Bohs paid compensation to Sean Connors and similarly Dundalk should pay compensation to Galway (so your comparison confirms my point).
The issue of Galways (alledged) breach of contract is irrelevant, during the Dave Rogers case we heard a lot of rubbish about Dundalk "doing the right thing" "principles" etc, this incident shows what a load of old guff that was.

bholg
07/12/2009, 12:10 PM
Why do you think they (the board) have acted wrongly in this case?

Foster says himself he was free to leave.

mcgonigle
07/12/2009, 12:12 PM
Bohs paid compensation to Sean Connors and similarly Dundalk should pay compensation to Galway (so your comparison confirms my point).
The issue of Galways (alledged) breach of contract is irrelevant, during the Dave Rogers case we heard a lot of rubbish about Dundalk "doing the right thing" "principles" etc, this incident shows what a load of old guff that was.

So you're saying, that Dundalk should pay compo even if Foster was well within his rights to leave Galway and therefore Dundalk well within their rights to appoint him :confused:

Hope you're not handling any money up in Dalymount!

jinxy lilywhite
07/12/2009, 12:16 PM

I get what you are saying Marino but as far as I know and I heard this off a very reliable source that Foster got proper legal advice in respect of this and he was advised accordingly. I think though, Dundalk would of requested that foster get that advice. If Ian wasn't being paid then I can't see where the problem is. I think the Dave Rogers thing regardless of my opinion unfortuneately was done without due process and the club was punished accordingly rightfully or wrongly.
I am pretty certain we will find out in due course whether we have acted inappropriately or not. All depends on who can hire the best lawyer though.

Marino I thought your hate Dundalk stance ended the day Seanie left. :D

Ezeikial
07/12/2009, 12:25 PM

Alleged breach of Fosters contract by Galway is certainly highly relevant here. If it was breached (several times according to Foster) there is no onus, either legal or moral, on Dundalk to pay any compensation. If a valid contract was in place, Dundalk are likely to end up paying compensation.

Knowledgably Galway fans are well aware of the reality, as of course is Nick Leeson. His private words recognise this reality, while his public words are for the appeasement of the general Galway public and provide amusement to the gullible and internet WUMS.

marinobohs
07/12/2009, 12:32 PM
Marino I thought your hate Dundalk stance ended the day Seanie left. :D

I don't "hate" Dundalk and was glad to see them come back up to where they belong last season. What I do hate (bit strong but however) is the hypocracy shown by some (not including yourself) Dundalk fans that are happy to preach about rules and/or principles as long as it is not Dundalk that is the transgressor.

I am happy to let "due process" clarify the outcome on Ian Foster even though morally Dundalk are in the wrong on the issue (again more than some were prepared to do on the 65% rule for example).

marinobohs
07/12/2009, 12:34 PM
Alleged breach of Fosters contract by Galway is certainly highly relevant here. If it was breached (several times according to Foster) there is no onus, either legal or moral, on Dundalk to pay any compensation. If a valid contract was in place, Dundalk are likely to end up paying compensation.

Knowledgably Galway fans are well aware of the reality, as of course is Nick Leeson. His private words recognise this reality, while his public words are for the appeasement of the general Galway public and provide amusement to the gullible and internet WUMS.

glad to see your "conversion" to matters factual. A major step forward from your comments on bohs all season :):):)

bholg
07/12/2009, 12:53 PM
I am happy to let "due process" clarify the outcome on Ian Foster even though morally Dundalk are in the wrong on the issue (again more than some were prepared to do on the 65% rule for example).

Morally in the wrong?

Foster feels he is within his rights to leave galway
Dundalk offer him a job
He takes it

I dont see where any moral qualms come into it.

If someone offered me a new job, say for more money, and I am free to leave my current employer, and do so - is my new employer morally wrong to offer me a position?

Do dundalk owe it to galway to leave them their manager, even though he wants to leave?

Sorry man - not nitpicking for the sake of it - I dont understand your angle.