PDA

View Full Version : France V Ireland - Wednesday, 18th November 2009 - World Cup 2010 Playoff Second Leg

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Den Perry
19/11/2009, 11:01 AM
Sorry for Ireland, now for sure within 15 days nobody except you will remember this. If it was at the other end you'd be congratulating each other. We had our bad times too (France-Germany 1982, France Bulgaria 1993....) . Referee's bad, not french. Good luck
Not French? what's Henry the cheat? French!!

drummerboy
19/11/2009, 11:01 AM
It was Dunne's ball but he was illegally impeded by the french centre-half.

Murfinator
19/11/2009, 11:02 AM
Indeed, we either play a fair game or what is the point of playing at all, you may as well hand the trophy to the country with the most money.

Basicaly just make it like America Wrestling, that's the sort of stuff the yanks like, fake staged nonsense. Think of the money.

Maybe make Sepp Blatter a big clown in a costume to make the game appeal to children?

It's true, I think at times FIFA forget it's a sport and not purely about entertainment or money.

topia
19/11/2009, 11:03 AM
That's the difference, in that game the referee got a rule wrong, it wasn't that he missed an offence they are different things.
It's a precedent but not a particularly solid one for building a case on.

Oh that and the fact that there's zero chance of FIFA granting a replay

the referee got rules wrong last night too, the handball rule and the offside rule

Vermicious Knid
19/11/2009, 11:06 AM
Lads, McShane let him walk into the position. It was bad defending plain and simple.

Noelys Guitar
19/11/2009, 11:08 AM
The game should be replayed as Brady says. And lets see what happens over the next few days. Million to one shot I know. But Platini, Bluffer and their various sponsors must be unhappy with this spotlight being on them this morning. And keep it on them. Henry's double handball is being shown around the globe on TV networks (ESPN have it on constantly). Over and over again. Not good news for the Henry, Platini and Bluffer. And especially Gillette.

markmc
19/11/2009, 11:09 AM
http://www.fifa.com/contact/form.html

leedsfan88
19/11/2009, 11:10 AM
Death to Henry...too harsh

But lets hope us the Irish can create as big a stink as possible.

Henry should also be banned for cheating that dirty fog eating surrender monkey.

Marek
19/11/2009, 11:14 AM
Sorry for that, Irish people. I can not know what you feel, and can not find the right words to show how I'm disappointed for this qualification. Keane, Duff and his teammates deserved to win the travel to South Africa, with you to support them.

Ireland don't have 11 superstars (and an crappy Henry) on the pitch, but you have a real football team.

From north of France.

markmc
19/11/2009, 11:16 AM
Newstalk are sending a petition to FIFA,email rematch@newstalk.ie to get included.

endabob1
19/11/2009, 11:17 AM
the referee got rules wrong last night too, the handball rule and the offside rule

Without going into semantics, he didn't get the rules wrong he just didn't see it, had he seen it I'm sure he would have blown, he gave all the other handballs.

The previous one was replayed because the ref didn't know the rule when players infringe, he gave a free kick to Bahrain instead of allowing the Pk to be retaken as is stated in the rulebook.

it's a technical difference I grant you but FIFA would never allow a replay over a decision like last night or they would be replaying games every other week.

Sandro
19/11/2009, 11:19 AM
http://www.gazzetta.it/primapagina/images/prima_pagina_grande.png

the 12 th man
19/11/2009, 11:22 AM
http://www.fifa.com/contact/form.html

Million to one shot but I sent this--

Do the right thing and order a replay of the
France V Ireland game,how will it look if France go on to win the competition?,it will be forever tainted by cheating.

Natural justice has to have some say here and FIFA will be judged very harshly WORLDWIDE if they let this go by.

The whole of the football world know Ireland were cheated.

texidub
19/11/2009, 11:22 AM
http://twitter.com/Thierry_Henry

"im not the referee... but if i hurt some one im sorry"

:o

jebus
19/11/2009, 11:23 AM
I really hope some of you look back on this thread in a few months and realise how you all sound because this is fast turning into Ireland's Princess Diana moment

1. Henry cheated, but so did Keane in that game, you can't excuse one over the other just because one got away with it it and the other didn't
2. The ref had a good game, it's the linesman who was at fault for that goal
3. If you don't appeal to the ref everytime your team wins an unjust throw in, corner, free, penalty or any sort of advantage than you're a hypocrite. Football is a cheating sport and I'd wager 100% of you have been involved in it as either a fan or a player at some stage.
4. Calls for replays is straight out of the Daily Mail handbook for getting people to over-react to situations
5. Calls for boycotting Gilette etc. is possibly the most petty thing I've seen in ages
6. And I saw one forummer call on us to e mail the French Embassy in this thread
7. Fifa.com is hardly, and really shouldn't, come out and criticise it's refs is it? Get over it
8. Maybe we should start a petition to have the Georgia group game replayed? Remember how we 'won' a dodgy penalty off the ref in that game and din't run outside and howl at the moon? Instead we took the penalty and the 3 points? No?

jo84
19/11/2009, 11:24 AM
What an awful feeling leaving the stadium last nite. Sickened. France should be so ashamed.

markmc
19/11/2009, 11:26 AM
Even the French agree that we were robbed. This match has to be replayed.

jebus
19/11/2009, 11:27 AM
Even the French agree that we were robbed. This match has to be replayed.

What about the Georgia game? When will we find the time for that and France before the world cup draw?

markmc
19/11/2009, 11:28 AM
FAI press conference at 2pm. Are the going to lodge a complaint ? i.e.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/news/newsid=27212.html

markmc
What about the Georgia game? When will we find the time for that and France before the world cup draw?

Cancel the Georgia game.

livehead1
I think the 'replay' option is something that is carrying more weight as the day goes on; nevertheless I don't feel FIFA have the guts to sanction a replay. I would however like a statement from them, as to why the tie can't be replayed.

Noelys Guitar
19/11/2009, 11:29 AM

And remind me again which Irish player cheated?

jebus
19/11/2009, 11:29 AM
Cancel the Georgia game.

Cheat :mad:

You're ruining football you realise this?

And remind me again which Irish player cheated?

All of them when they didn't tell the ref it wasn't a handball, even if they say they didn't see it then we saw it on replays and should have offered to replay the game in the interest of fairness

Well going by this kangaroo court's laws on here anyway

Lifetime bans for the entire squad I say

Scooby Doo
19/11/2009, 11:33 AM
:mad:I am absolutely devestated and wonder what we have to do to qualify! All the odds were unfairly stacked against us from the beginning. Third seeds in a group with World Champions and no 'minnow' team. Then to come through a qualifying campaign unbeaten and are screwed by FIFA for the PO draw. To draw France away second and then play them off the park to be finally denied by the most obscene and disgraceful example of cheating since Maradona. And all this achieve while missing a sizable contingent of our best players. Dermot Ahern, Brady and Kilbane have already called for a replay and no doubt more will too. FIFA CANNOT be allowed to get away with this. Therefore I propose some sort of protest by Irish fans soon in Dublin. Who knows,something like that might rattle some cages and at the very least would demonstrate that Ireland is not the little pushover that the dictators that run our game think we are. Last night's performace was passionate, heroic and filled me with an immense sense of pride - my proudest moment as an Irish fan. WE OWE IT TO THE TEAM TO NOT TAKE THIS LYING DOWN!:mad:

the 12 th man
19/11/2009, 11:33 AM

Jebus, Handry cheated in the other game,big difference.

I think you're accepting it too readily considering the prize that was at stake and the method of our exit.

Noelys Guitar
19/11/2009, 11:35 AM
Lee Dixon's comments on Henry
"I played with Thierry for six years and he was as honest as the day is long. From listening to the radio this morning and reading the BBC website, there are a lot of Arsenal fans on there saying he's gone down in their estimations. It's really unfortunate, but he's put himself in that position by a moment of madness. It's pure instinct for the first handball but the second one is the one people will look at say he's cheated. and that's what will taint his reputation. He will be remembered for that and it's sad because he's been a truly great player, one of the best players in the Premier League ever and now people will remember him for the goal against Ireland. It's really sad."

Mayo Red
19/11/2009, 11:36 AM
Been said already, but between the last minute seeding and last nights farce FIFA got the result they wanted. Big love-in now in South Africa for Blatter and Platini et al!:mad::(

jebus
19/11/2009, 11:37 AM

I think you're accepting it too readily considering the prize that was at stake and the method of our exit.

Prize at stake counts for nothing, you're either against cheating or you're not

I'm not because I know if Keane had gotten away with one of his deliberate handballs and scored our second afterwards I wouldn't care this morning.

I'm not because I've called for frees, corners, penalties and throws for Limerick when I know damn well they aren't

I'd say the vast, vast majority of you aren't against cheating in football either, just cheating against your team. That's hypocritical to me

passinginterest
19/11/2009, 11:38 AM

The reason we lost is we didn't take our chances in the game. Over the 2 legs we had about 6 good scoring chances, France had maybe 2. One missed hand ball is not the reason we're not going to South Africa.

The performnace was a credit to the players and I'm still sick to the stomach that it just wasn't quite enough.

Jebus I'm glad I'm not the only sane person on foot.ie, you can see my initial reaction on page 3/4 of this thread. I'm relieved to say that all the lads in work share our view rather than the mental ones on here.

Mayo Red
19/11/2009, 11:39 AM
"I played with Thierry for six years and he was as honest as the day is long. From listening to the radio this morning and reading the BBC website, there are a lot of Arsenal fans on there saying he's gone down in their estimations. It's really unfortunate, but he's put himself in that position by a moment of madness. It's pure instinct for the first handball but the second one is the one people will look at say he's cheated. and that's what will taint his reputation. He will be remembered for that and it's sad because he's been a truly great player, one of the best players in the Premier League ever and now people will remember him for the goal against Ireland. It's really sad."

Aw...it'd almost make you shed a tear for the poor lad wouldn't it!!:rolleyes:

Noelys Guitar
19/11/2009, 11:43 AM
Prize at stake counts for nothing, you're either against cheating or you're not

I'm not because I know if Keane had gotten away with one of his deliberate handballs and scored our second afterwards I wouldn't care this morning.

I'm not because I've called for frees, corners, penalties and throws for Limerick when I know damn well they aren't

I'd say the vast, vast majority of you aren't against cheating in football either, just cheating against your team. That's hypocritical to me

Aaaah. Its that old chestnut. I condone cheating. Ah sure everyone does it.

Noelys Guitar
19/11/2009, 11:45 AM
The reason we lost is we didn't take our chances in the game. Over the 2 legs we had about 6 good scoring chances, France had maybe 2. One missed hand ball is not the reason we're not going to South Africa.

The performnace was a credit to the players and I'm still sick to the stomach that it just wasn't quite enough.

Jebus I'm glad I'm not the only sane person on foot.ie, you can see my initial reaction on page 3/4 of this thread. I'm relieved to say that all the lads in work share our view rather than the mental ones on here.

Another condoning cheating as if its normal behaviour you mean. Then yes we are all 'mental'.

jebus
19/11/2009, 11:46 AM
Aaaah. Its that old chestnut. I condone cheating. Ah sure everyone does it.

Not everyone, but when my team and my country do it and I don't give a toss then do you not see how it would weaken my ravings about replays, boycotts on products and conspiracy theories?

eamo1
19/11/2009, 11:47 AM
The French football president said "Ireland should be philosophical and move on".Heres a philosophical comment for you- that football is reflecting modern society where the strong are protected at the expense of the weak.
Gallas was also saying he "didnt see the incident",ya right.
FIFA's website said "the ball was cut back to Gallas by Henry on the endline"-no mention of a handball.
If there was justice and integrity in football then none of the above comments would have been made.
Im still sick over this.I do buy Gillette products and Adidas ones too,or at least i did,my small way of protesting.

jebus
19/11/2009, 11:48 AM
The French football president said "Ireland should be philosophical and move on".Heres a philosophical comment for you- that football is reflecting modern society where the strong are protected at the expense of the weak.
FIFA's website said "the ball was cut back to Gallas by Henry on the endline"-no mention of a handball.
If there was justice and integrity in football then none of the above comments would have been made.
Im still sick over this.I do buy Gillette products and Adidas ones too,or at least i did,my small way of protesting.

So capitalism cheated us now?

el nino coro
19/11/2009, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=passinginterest;1276908]The reason we lost is we didn't take our chances in the game. Over the 2 legs we had about 6 good scoring chances, France had maybe 2. One missed hand ball is not the reason we're not going to South Africa.

also when your substitutes are gibson who hasnt played a competetive game for months and mcshane who let henry in to handle when he should have stuck his head to it
france had 16 good players to choose from where as Ireland had 11

livehead1
19/11/2009, 11:51 AM

I brought my new Adidas footwear back this morning; asked why I was returning them I told them that I couldn't face indirectly paying that cheating c*nts wages! The only question she asked me after that was "would I be wanting a different make"

lionelhutz
19/11/2009, 11:51 AM
Without going into semantics, he didn't get the rules wrong he just didn't see it, had he seen it I'm sure he would have blown, he gave all the other handballs.

The previous one was replayed because the ref didn't know the rule when players infringe, he gave a free kick to Bahrain instead of allowing the Pk to be retaken as is stated in the rulebook.

it's a technical difference I grant you but FIFA would never allow a replay over a decision like last night or they would be replaying games every other week.

Unfortunately this is true.

dr_peepee
19/11/2009, 11:55 AM
The French football president said "Ireland should be philosophical and move on".

He should crawl back into his booster seat...

passinginterest
19/11/2009, 11:55 AM
Another condoning cheating as if its normal behaviour you mean. Then yes we are all 'mental'.

Cheating in football is an intrinsic part of the game, handballs, pushing, jersey pulling, obstruction, Ireland have scored plenty of goals where fouls have been missed in the build up it happens in football everyday.

I'm devestated that we lost, truly sick, but I'm not going to have a canary about cheating when we had so many chances to win the game without worrying about it.

dr_peepee
19/11/2009, 12:01 PM

True... Though it's the Assistant and Fourth Official should account.

There'll be no replay or anything.. But I don't think some contrition or a tip of the hat is too much to ask for from FIFA. An acknowledgement that the current set up is somehow flawed and efforts are being made to avoid future recurances.

ashamed
19/11/2009, 12:08 PM
Hello lads (and lasses)

I just joined up to say I'm sorry on behalf of the wide majority of french people feeling ashamed of their national team today. (yes, I am french)

Having lived 5 years in Dublin, having met countless friendly Irish during my lucky stay in Cabra and Sutton, I feel disgusted about what happened last night.
I've never been mad about football, more into motorcycle racing and Rugby myself, I still had to watch the fierce Irish play last night, as I just knew the Irish spirit would be there, and that it'd give the frogs a run for their money.

Not only it did, but some ***** had to cheat in order to win, I felt very lonely last night when this happened.

My apologies are probably not very important since the Irish squad were robbed their victory and denied a very important qualification, but they are sincere, I hope the french get slaughtered in this world cup, I really do.

Now I'm going back to my Chinatown Thin Lizzy album, and I'll dring a couple of pints tonight thinking of you all.

Sorry again...

Erick

O'Shea's Boot
19/11/2009, 12:11 PM
it reflects today's society - the sad thing is that because the ref didnt see it nothing can be done retrospectively - yet didnt Eduardo nearly get hung for diving at Celtic ......double standards .....please also remember that Platini is the second most powerful man in football - love to hear his version

Noelys Guitar
19/11/2009, 12:16 PM
Hello lads (and lasses)

I just joined up to say I'm sorry on behalf of the wide majority of french people feeling ashamed of their national team today. (yes, I am french)

Good on you Erick

Scruttox
19/11/2009, 12:18 PM
Gutted, but....

Look lets try and move on, this episode is our own 'Hand of God'. It will be with us forever. The English still arent over Maradona, so lets not go down that road. We should re-group, re-focus and realise we can now play great attacking football.

Lets put the underdog tag to bed once and for all, and go forward with the attitdue that big names and history dont scare us, we have the ability as a team to beat you. And beat you we will.

Now im off to trade in a 07 Megane...

Dodge
19/11/2009, 12:20 PM
What's it to you Dodge? Why do you bother you árse coming on to an Ireland thread?
The fact that in the 2nd leg of a play off, the Irish came back from losing the home game, clearly did enough to deserve to have done the impossible and
pretty much the rest of the sporting world is aghast at the circumstances of how the tie was lost.
And all you want to do is miserably nitpick your way around on a stupid thread.
I bothered because I watched the game, and like most here wanted Ireland to progress.

I commented because some people here are talking rubbish about conspiracies, and huge amounts of people here are bing hugely hypocritical

rambler14
19/11/2009, 12:32 PM
FIFA have no right to fly that Fair Play flag. Action must be taken.

I hope when FIFA come to RTE trying to sell the rights for the World Cup that RTE tell them to fcuk off!

Noelys Guitar
"I'm very embarrassed by the situation. I don't feel very proud to be French this morning. The Irish played very well and they deserved to go through as much as France, maybe more. I'm very surprised Fifa haven't mentioned anything about it - the whole world saw the handball. This is a pure injustice. Everyone in France, the press and everyone, says there should be a replay."

antrimgreen

Really sad my hole, if he didn't want to be remember for that then he should have told the ref he cheated. Shut up Dixon you *****.:mad:

as_i_say
19/11/2009, 12:34 PM
Interesting. Up until an hour ago I would have said zero chance of a replay. Is it possible-could it actually happen? A one off game in a neutral venue winner takes all? Pennos was a fair ending to a barnstorming game. Nobody would have been complaining if we had gone out like that.