PDA

View Full Version : Getting on the Block Booking

Pages : [1] 2 3

kingdomkerry
31/10/2009, 4:12 PM
To get people off the waiting list and on to the block booking. Im on the WL around the 1,500 mark and im sick of waiting.

My solution is the FAI give people on the block booking a maximum of 2 tickets each thereby being able to offer more people on the WL the chance to get their two tickets on the BB.

elroy
31/10/2009, 4:18 PM
My solution is the FAI give people on the block booking a maximum of 2 tickets each thereby being able to offer more people on the WL the chance to get their two tickets on the BB.

I assumed that was the case?? Certainly when I joined the WL nine years ago, the most I could be put down for was 2 tickets.

jbyrne
03/11/2009, 1:10 PM

i get 4 tickets and all 4 go to the same lads all the time. one has gone to away games for over 20 years. why should 2 of them not be allowed to keep their tickets just because they are under my block booking?

eaststand85
03/11/2009, 1:23 PM
i get 4 tickets and all 4 go to the same lads all the time. one has gone to away games for over 20 years. why should 2 of them not be allowed to keep their tickets just because they are under my block booking?

No one is saying they shouldn't be allowed keep their tickets. I think the point is that if there are 4 people going then each person should have their own customer number (or maximum of two tickets per customer number) so the FAI can better track who's taking tickets for each match and ensure they're distributed fairly when demand is particularly high (as in the upcoming play offs for example).

This would help avoid the situation which arises with some blockbookers (although not very often I would presume/hope), and which has been mentioned in other threads, where they basically control large numbers of tickets for each match and are therefore in a position to allocate them as they see fit and without necessarily taking into account who's been to matches previously etc.

In this scenario you and your friends would have nothing to worry about as the records would show the tickets have gone to the same lads each time.

jbyrne
03/11/2009, 1:25 PM
No onei is saying they shouldn't be allowed keep their tickets. I think the point is that if there are 4 people going then each person should have their own customer number (or maximum of two tickets per customer number) so the FAI can better track who's taking tickets for each match and ensure they're distributed fairly when demand is particularly high (as in the upcoming play offs for example).

This would help avoid the situation which arises with some blockbookers (although not very often I would presume/hope), and which has been mentioned in other threads, where they basically control large numbers of tickets for each match and are therefore in a position to allocate them as they see fit and without necessarily taking into account who's been to matches previously etc.

i would agree with what you say here. all should have their own number and you cant just pass on your block booking. however, i do think that some lads just dont understand that the likes of me dont just order 4 tickets and dole them out to whoever. the lads i attend with have been going for years

gspain
03/11/2009, 2:15 PM
I doubt if people have control of large number sof tickets and allocate as they see fit. For most games recently it has been very difficult to sell tickets at face value.

There are people carrying bbings who miss quite a few games but they will end up having to pay for the if they can't be passed on or pass them on at a loss.

By limiting the number of bbings you only create more admin work for the FAI. You might get a few dropouts from guys who forget to send back the form.

The reality is that at the moment there is more demand than supply.

MariborKev
03/11/2009, 2:27 PM

Exactly gspain.

No "system" will resolve that.

eaststand85
03/11/2009, 2:30 PM
Exactly gspain.

No "system" will resolve that.

But a fairer and more transparent system such as that suggested above would help matters.

dynamo kerry
03/11/2009, 2:54 PM
I doubt if people have control of large number sof tickets and allocate as they see fit. For most games recently it has been very difficult to sell tickets at face value.

There are people carrying bbings who miss quite a few games but they will end up having to pay for the if they can't be passed on or pass them on at a loss.

By limiting the number of bbings you only create more admin work for the FAI. You might get a few dropouts from guys who forget to send back the form.

I'm not sure what your point is here. As ES said, the debate isn't how many tickets are there- it's are they distributed in the best possible way.

You're also kind of contradicting yourself by saying BB'ers are struggling to get rid of them and then saying it's more demand than supply?

Lets face it if you can only buy 4 tickets general sale at a time - why should you be able to book 6-8 tickets at a go. It's practically touting/travel agent style behaviour. Harsh maybe, but even a kind view is that it's a throwback to an earlier time when demand was lower and communication/IT infrastructures were non-existant. No excuse for it in a digital age.

the system needs an overhaul which in the short term would be more work but would be infinitely tidier and fairer than what we currently have. As for admin work - they already utilise what has to be one of the most complex mass-distribution systems I have ever seen. It can only be improved.

At the moment it wouldn't surprise me if block bookings are carried on 5 years after lads have moved abroad, passed away or changed their name by deed poll ;)

having said all of that it's a time of major upheaval for them so I'm prepared to cut the FAI some slack. when things settle down at New Lansdowne and Vantage falls flat, I'm hoping they will take the opportunity to look at it all more critically and set up a proper system.

Polster
03/11/2009, 3:05 PM
Would the same thing not happen, we break a current 6 ticket bb allocation into 3 groups of 2. Will those 3 groups not continue to order their tickets regardless of whether they can attend or not, passing them on if they cannot?
This as pointed out also increases admin work for the FAI, not our problem, but it has proven to be a big one for them in the past.

I would suggest we stick with the current system but make it more transparent. The FAI should not accept any increases in current bb allocations, which most people know they will nearly always oblige with at the start of a campaign. Then someone should be given at least a campaign by campaign update on their WL position, with perhaps extra progress for attending friendlies or other games offered, although I am not 100% sure about how this would work, as money comes into it etc.

But certainly more transparenty is needed, with one of their lovely emails each year to update waiting listers.

jbyrne
03/11/2009, 3:09 PM
The FAI should not accept any increases in current bb allocations, which most people know they will nearly always oblige with at the start of a campaign.

that is not true at all. you are not able to increase your allocation

dynamo kerry
03/11/2009, 3:12 PM
Would the same thing not happen, we break a current 6 ticket bb allocation into 3 groups of 2. Will those 3 groups not continue to order their tickets regardless of whether they can attend or not, passing them on if they cannot?
This as pointed out also increases admin work for the FAI, not our problem, but it has proven to be a big one for them in the past.

I would suggest we stick with the current system but make it more transparent. The FAI should not accept any increases in current bb allocations, which most people know they will nearly always oblige with at the start of a campaign. Then someone should be given at least a campaign by campaign update on their WL position, with perhaps extra progress for attending friendlies or other games offered, although I am not 100% sure about how this would work, as money comes into it etc.

But certainly more transparenty is needed, with one of their lovely emails each year to update waiting listers.

Everything you're suggesting there is adding admin.

I'm keen to find out if there are 4 guys with 30,000 bits of paper in there in Abbotstown dealing with this.

I agree with what you're saying- they should be doing all that as well as limiting future block bookers to 2 per person and as you say denying any further requests for increases!

You have a block booking I take it Polster? (or access to one)

paul_oshea
03/11/2009, 3:27 PM
I was going to add the administrative point before as its the most obvious. Its also more costsly not just in terms of man hours but stationery, postage etc etc.

They must have a system of either excel spreadsheets with Access or a proper DB system, there is no way they could spend the days and nights giong through 50k by hand....

Newryrep
03/11/2009, 3:31 PM
There are current circ 30000 BB tickets - how many block bookers are there ?5000 ? 10000 ?

gspain
03/11/2009, 3:31 PM
I believe the FAI allow you to change the name and take over bbings. I'm not certain of that. Even if they don't those bbings will still have a real person who considers it their ticket.

Likewise when Man Utd realsied one of the season ticket holders was 106 they gave an amnesty and allowed the person using it (presumably a grandson or granddaughter) to have a ticket in their own name.

You could argue that once a person dies they shouldn't be allowed to pass on a bbing to their children but I wouldn't agree with that.

Just to clarify I'm saying the demand for bbings is far greater than supply not the demand for tickets for individual games such as friendlies v Poland or Serbia.

I certainly have sympathy for those on the WL. However I don''t think there is an easy solution and certainly not one that involves taking tickets from those who currently have them.

elroy
03/11/2009, 3:32 PM
At the end of the day, its all about bums on seats or more so sales for the fai, notice we all have a CUSTOMER no, not a fan no.

They will do a certain level of admin on the BB and in fairness in comparison to some other sporting organisations, it works quite well. Most BBs attend the games, a certain percentage will always find their way into the wrong hands.

The BB system means a guaranteed sale for the FAI, which is what matters most to them. I suspect and hope the recent WL letter is an attempt to panic people into purchasing VC tickets, now that the Irish team is on a high. For example, were they to leave such a strategy untill Jan/Feb, we could very well be out of the WC and sale prospects may not be as good. Id be surprised if this strategy will yield much sales and hopefully the WLs will get allocated a greater BB allocation before LR actually reopens.

Schumi
03/11/2009, 3:38 PM
There are current circ 30000 BB tickets - how many block bookers are there ?5000 ? 10000 ?

My block booking number is over 13,000 and I've had it for four or five years.

dynamo kerry
03/11/2009, 3:45 PM
I was going to add the administrative point before as its the most obvious. Its also more costsly not just in terms of man hours but stationery, postage etc etc.

They must have a system of either excel spreadsheets with Access or a proper DB system, there is no way they could spend the days and nights giong through 50k by hand....

Cruel people would wish it on them around now..

gspain
03/11/2009, 3:47 PM
The WL: got priority over bbers who wanted to increase their allocation and rightly so. You can't increase your allocation and haven't been able to for ages.

No idea how many bbers there are. Many clubs and leagues are also in the system.

My father got a customer number circa 1988 after we got a scare when told Belgium 87 was sold out (we got tickets though). He had block bookings going back to the 70's but let it lapse. I got mine shortly after that although my number is lower than his. The numbers are around the 4,000 mark.

Newryrep
03/11/2009, 3:52 PM
Have the FAI ever withdrawn a BB ticket allocation when it has been found that the ticket has ended up in the hands of a tout ? - because there are shed loads appearing on carious sites

dynamo kerry
03/11/2009, 3:56 PM
I believe the FAI allow you to change the name and take over bbings. I'm not certain of that. Even if they don't those bbings will still have a real person who considers it their ticket.

If they do - they should get that one ticket.

You could argue that once a person dies they shouldn't be allowed to pass on a bbing to their children but I wouldn't agree with that.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't believe it's a commodity to be passed on in the family. It's an FAI ticket you get to use for a time. No one has a "right" to go to games over other fans.

I certainly have sympathy for those on the WL. However I don''t think there is an easy solution and certainly not one that involves taking tickets from those who currently have them.

Ok- let's not do that but going forward new BB should be limited in number of ticket allocated.

My solution, and I believe there is one, somewhere, is that if I have 4 tickets BB and give them to the same 4 mates, those 4 mates should be registered for those tickets even though I will take responsibility for paying, collecting distributing the tickets. If I decide to leave, my ticket goes to a WL person while the other 3 in my group decide who will look after their 3 tickets.

You could build fan communities easily enough - group tickets, separate groups, merge groups etc at the start of campaigns.

Ok it's an IT spend and cost but I think ultimately it will ensure more attenandance at games as people would find it easier to progress thru the WL and churn would be a little higher.

Equally it would make it easier to pin point people selling on their tickets and ending up with touts (a low number I'm sure) and if there was ever trouble all fans would be accountable.

Those of you leaning towards less structured systems and been on databases will no doubt hate this but I think it sounds great.

eaststand85
03/11/2009, 4:11 PM
Well said Dynamo. I think they've probably started to put the systems in place if the way in which they handled applications for the Paris game is anything to go by (via an online form which captured all the relevant data including customer number).

elroy
03/11/2009, 4:14 PM

I think its only natural that the BB should be allowed to pass to their children if the BBer passes away. For example a son could be going with his father to games for 20 years, surely it would be very unfair that on the death of his father that the BB doesnt pass on to the son.

gspain
03/11/2009, 4:29 PM
Have the FAI ever withdrawn a BB ticket allocation when it has been found that the ticket has ended up in the hands of a tout ? - because there are shed loads appearing on carious sites

Yes because in one case I know because I provided the info. Idiot provided scans on request to prove he had the tickets. He was taken off the list. There have been other cases as well.

In another case they didn't eventhough I provided enough info to identify the person he was careful enough. I had home town, block and row number but not seat numbers. His mobile was not on file and I only had his first name. Same guy had sold rugby tickets over the odds as well in the past. Thought they should have dumped him but the decision was not enough information eventhough there was one block booker from the town with that first name with seats in the block and row I provided.

If you buy off ebay or from the touts over face value please send details to the Ticket office, FAI, Abbottstown Dublin 15. They do act.

footballplease
03/11/2009, 4:35 PM
My block booking number is over 13,000 and I've had it for four or five years.

I was actually wondering about that. My number is about 12,000 and i've had mine since about 1997.

dynamo kerry
03/11/2009, 4:36 PM
I think its only natural that the BB should be allowed to pass to their children if the BBer passes away. For example a son could be going with his father to games for 20 years, surely it would be very unfair that on the death of his father that the BB doesnt pass on to the son.

I probably sound like an evil, mean £ecker but I just can't agree with this line of thinking.
to me the ticket isn't a family heirloom to be passed around. none of us own a seat in these situations. We merely earn the right to have first dibs on it.
I'm really trying not to be insenstive (probably failing).
some mechanism for him to apply for another one for his son maybe or brother should exist but not at the expense of waiting listers.

I see what you're saying though and I think you have a point worth considering but I don't think it saves the whole system from needing looked at and becoming more accountable.

SuperDave
03/11/2009, 4:49 PM
I probably sound like an evil, mean £ecker but I just can't agree with this line of thinking.
to me the ticket isn't a family heirloom to be passed around. none of us own a seat in these situations. We merely earn the right to have first dibs on it.
I'm really trying not to be insenstive (probably failing).
some mechanism for him to apply for another one for his son maybe or brother should exist but not at the expense of waiting listers.

I see what you're saying though and I think you have a point worth considering but I don't think it saves the whole system from needing looked at and becoming more accountable.

I think its fair that the son gets to keep his ticket in that situation but he should only have one. Whether he gets one or two doesn't really matter though cos going to a game afterwards is only going to remind him of his dad.

I heard about someone who was a season ticket holder somewhere who used to go to games with his dad. When his dad passed away, he still went to the games and left his dad's seat free and didn't let anyone sit on it. I think it was only til the end of the season.

eaststand85
03/11/2009, 4:57 PM
I think its fair that the son gets to keep his ticket in that situation but he should only have one. Whether he gets one or two doesn't really matter though cos going to a game afterwards is only going to remind him of his dad.

I heard about someone who was a season ticket holder somewhere who used to go to games with his dad. When his dad passed away, he still went to the games and left his dad's seat free and didn't let anyone sit on it. I think it was only til the end of the season.

On a lighter note there was also the one (quite possibly an urban myth) about the man who had a season ticket at one of the English clubs and found the seat beside him empty every week until eventually someone turned up and sat in it at the Stephen's day match. When they got chatting it turned out the new guy's wife had bought him a season ticket at the start of the season but only gave it to him as his Christmas present! :):)

SuperDave
03/11/2009, 5:02 PM
On a lighter note there was also the one (quite possibly an urban myth) about the man who had a season ticket at one of the English clubs and found the seat beside him empty every week until eventually someone turned up and sat in it at the Stephen's day match. When they got chatting it turned out the new guy's wife had bought him a season ticket at the start of the season but only gave it to him as his Christmas present! :):)

I'd say he got her a divorce for Stephen's Day!

I heard about that alright. I thought it was quite funny, though the version I had also had another empty seat for the son. It would be an odd present alright and unlikely someone would waste that much money. Almost certainly an urban myth. The spare seat for the father one is much more likely as people grieve in different ways. I look after my block booking for myself, my bro, my dad and a friend and it would be very very difficult to sell one of their tickets if anything happened (God forbid).

jbyrne
03/11/2009, 5:04 PM
no system is ideal but the BB system the FAI run is far better than any other in the country.

as a kid i went to the likes of brazil, bulgaria and luxemburg '87 where there was about 20k in attendance yet when it came to england 1990 in lansdowne i had to bunk off school and sleep on the pavement outside elverys only for lads to skip the queue and leave me without a ticket! i go to all home games and about 2 or 3 away per campaign. the BB system means that i will always get a ticket which is only correct.

on the other side i have attended all the home rugby matches (and many away) since 1985 by scrounging tickets from all kinds of sources. you can sometimes get tickets now through the IRFU supporters club (paying for membership) but more and more recently you are made feel privilaged on the odd occasion i am successful in the online scrambles that you have to go through.

the FAI system is not ideal but its far closer to ideal than most other systems

elroy
03/11/2009, 5:08 PM
no system is ideal but the BB system the FAI run is far better than any other in the country.

as a kid i went to the likes of brazil, bulgaria and luxemburg '87 where there was about 20k in attendance yet when it came to england 1991 i had to bunk off school and sleep on the pavement outside elverys only for lads to skip the queue and leave me without a ticket! i go to all home games and about 2 or 3 away per campaign. the BB system means that i will always get a ticket which is only correct.

on the other side i have attended all the home rugby matches (and many away) since 1985 by scrounging tickets from all kinds of sources. you can sometimes get tickets now through the IRFU supporters club (paying for membership) but more and more recently you are made feel privilaged on the odd occasion i am successful in the online scrambles that you have to go through.

Yes the rugby system was one that I was referring to earlier. The gaa are pretty poor as well ie where have all the 80k people that turn up at an AI been earlier in the year, even for a semi?!? Although I know they introduced a season ticket last year where if condition were satisified i.e. attendance at games, a ticket was guaranteed for the final.

The rugby allocate tickets mainly through clubs who almost add their own charge to the FV. They also have 10 year tickets which have a WL that I understand barely moves at all.

Bluetonic
03/11/2009, 5:55 PM
The comparisons with other ticketing systems are insignificant and irrelevant.

Bluetonic
03/11/2009, 5:59 PM

Admin costs don't seem to be an issue to the FAI.

They already have the majority of block bookers and wait list members email addresses (since 2007) yet they continue to post invoices, letters of rejection, etc.., by standard mail and fail to embrace the technology which is already in place and would offer a considerable time and cost saving.

Dismissing the changing of a the system due to increase admin would be a wrong move. Any news system implemented could save time and money.

The FAI are years behind the pack with issuing of physical paper tickets. The implementation of a fan card (like the GAA now have) would not only allow the FAI to become nearly 100% ticketless but it would greatly reduce touting as people would be less likely to hand a fan card over to a stranger. A third party resale ticket solution, viagogo, could be used for block bookers to sell on tickets when they can't make the game with only existing waiting listers allowed to buy.

Away games should be allocated points, less glamorous games with travel being awkward on a midweek are awarded more points, high profile games an hour away on a Satruday are awarded less points. Application for away tickets is based on points accumulated over the last and current campaign.

The fact of the matter is the systems are out there which in the long run would save the FAI time and money and be of benefit to block bookers and waiting list members but the crux of the matter is the FAI are happy with the current system as they are guaranteed bums on seats and money in the bank.

Summary: The FAI aren't interested in being innovative.

dynamo kerry
03/11/2009, 6:16 PM
Jbyrne - I don't want to see the block bookers punished for taking tickets. However the redistributing of tickets to those on the waiting list needs work. If you keep going to games you deserve a ticket. If you stop going - who should get it

a) a waiting lister who has taken tickets from the fai when they struggled to sell and has waited their turn
or
b) your mate who rarely goes to games but decides to take the ticket anyway
or
c) another waiting lister further back the queue who decides to jump ahead a bit..

which do you think is fairest?

I also think your exposure to other ticketing systems might be limited if you think the FAI bb system is a leader in it's field. Outside of Ireland it would be considered backward.

Bluetonic - great post mate

Quite a lot there reminds me of the english and scottish systems where your "loyalty" is measured and long terms fans get looked after while random fans have to wait their turn.[/

Greenforever
03/11/2009, 6:31 PM
My BB code is in the low 600s, and I also got tickets direct from the FAI prior to 88 and the sudden growth in popularity that success brings. Like JByrne I was at games in Lansdowne with less than 15,000 at them.

The BB scheme was brought in to STOP tickets getting into the hands of touts, which was very more prevalent when the majority of tickets were sold through clubs and shops incluing the Irish Travel Agency on Dolier St.

Anyone who has been going to games since the 70s will probably agree there are far less tickets in touts hands today compared to the late 80s and early 90s.

The BB system is extremely fair and could only be improved by each BB having to register every ticket holder and giving them their id card which would have to be used in conunction with their ticket for admission.

A points system for away games would be great to be introduced and could be done now using the travel details from the current campaign.

Newryrep
03/11/2009, 7:01 PM
Away games should be allocated points, less glamorous games with travel being awkward on a midweek are awarded more points, high profile games an hour away on a Satruday are awarded less points. Application for away tickets is based on points accumulated over the last and current campaign.

Summary: The FAI aren't interested in being innovative.

agree in principle disagree with detail , will post what I posted elsewhere

AWAY ALLOCATION SCHEME

Posted this on YBIG to generally favourble comments

Made this a separate thread as I think it deserves it and a few have thought it had merit.

It is not perfect but the Scots use something similar and the majority of them deem it fair.

1.Last 10 away games including away friendlies are taken into account

2. Each away game is allocated a point,those with the most points are allocated tickets down to where the number of tickets available is less than the number of people on the relevent points then a ballot will be undertaken

3.each request for tickets must be backed up by naming who the tickets are for

4. Random checks will be undertaken - in which case proof of travel for the number of recipients will be required - no proof of travel then points will revert to zero

5.FAI reserve the right to have ticket collection in the destination city - failure to collect tickets will result in points will revert to zero

I have not included home games for the following reasons

6. away travel is a more level playing field, the majorrity of fans needing flights/ferries outa Ireland or the UK

7. home games are not a level playing field eg the BB who lives in Drumcondra as opposed to the BB living in London either required days off or money spent attending

8. home games currently are and are likely to be more of a closed shop with little scope for movement

9.....I am not a BB :)
Last ten away games

Prague - Czech Rep
Cardiff - Wales
London - Columbia
Oslo - Norway
Mainz - Georgia
Podgorica - Montenegro
Bari - Italy
London - Nigeria
Sofia - Bulgaria
Nicosia - Cyprus

Based on the above i would have 3 points

Next game is france after which the france points are added and the Czech points removed

stickyjoe
03/11/2009, 7:41 PM
The BB system is extremely fair and could only be improved by each BB having to register every ticket holder and giving them their id card which would have to be used in conunction with their ticket for admission.

A points system for away games would be great to be introduced and could be done now using the travel details from the current campaign.

Couldnt agree more, the block booking system is a great system. I do have sympathy for people who are still on the waiting list but unfortunately thats the way things are with supply and demand at the moment. Its the closest thing to a season ticket system that most top clubs run(although the BB is probably even more consistant then ST as we include friendly tickets)

Good idea on the away ticket idea NewryRep, however Id like home games to be taken into account as well, seems to me that a lot of peoples prioritys on the away trips are the drinking sessions instead of the matches.

Bluetonic
03/11/2009, 7:58 PM
Couldnt agree more, the block booking system is a great system.
The current block booking system facilitates touting. How can this be a great system?

eaststand85
03/11/2009, 8:02 PM
Season tickets are for single tickets rather than groups of tickets and the BB system should be the same. This is the point being made.

Greenforever
03/11/2009, 8:09 PM
The current block booking system facilitates touting. How can this be a great system?

Please back up this statement with proof

The block booking system was introduced to stop touting initially, just look at the number of tickets for sale by French people for the Paris game.

IF you ever find a block booking ticket on the black market report it to the ticket office and I guarantee action will be taken.

Bluetonic
03/11/2009, 8:23 PM
Please back up this statement with proof

Any system which assigns/supplies/provides multiple amounts of tickets to one individual facilitates (doesn't prevent) touting. The individual is then in control not the issuer. Tickets can be passed through a indefinite number of people all outside the control of the issuer.

IF you ever find a block booking ticket on the black market report it to the ticket office and I guarantee action will be taken.
Whilst I admire the FAI stance on this the fact that they are being reactive shows they know there is a problem. Much better to be proactive and implement a system similar to the one I have outlined earlier this evening which would help reduce touting greatly and also reduce this second market at face value which deprives the waiting list members of realistic expectations of joining the block booking.

Once again I'll say the FAI aren't interested as they get their money one way or the other, one fan is the same as the next.

Newryrep
03/11/2009, 8:24 PM
Couldnt agree more, the block booking system is a great system. I do have sympathy for people who are still on the waiting list but unfortunately thats the way things are with supply and demand at the moment. Its the closest thing to a season ticket system that most top clubs run(although the BB is probably even more consistant then ST as we include friendly tickets)

Good idea on the away ticket idea NewryRep, however Id like home games to be taken into account as well, seems to me that a lot of peoples prioritys on the away trips are the drinking sessions instead of the matches.

disagree SJ for the reasons listed, you could be a BB in Drumcondra and a BB ticket could cost you £300 and no time off. Contrast that with practically any away trip. If home games were counted non BB would imediately be at a disadvantge. Aways games are the level playing field as the vast majority of fans will have to take a plane/ferry out of IReland/UK

Greenforever
03/11/2009, 8:26 PM
Any system which assigns/supplies/provides multiple amounts of tickets to one individual facilitates (doesn't prevent) touting. The individual is then in control not the issuer. Tickets can be passed through a indefinite number of people all outside the control of the issuer.

Whilst I admire the FAI stance on this the fact that they are being reactive shows they know there is a problem. Much better to be proactive and implement a system similar to the one I have outlined earlier this evening which would help reduce touting greatly.

Once again I'll say the FAI aren't interested as they get their money one way or the other, one fan is the same as the next.

Please back up your statements with FACTS

There are 30,000 plus BB tickets, can you find me even 30 for sale????

You have ignored the very reason they brought in the BB system in the first place.

Bluetonic
03/11/2009, 8:34 PM
Please back up your statements with FACTS

There are 30,000 plus BB tickets, can you find me even 30 for sale????
The FACT that touts have had and will have tickets (for Lansdowne - lets forget about Croke Park) for sale which are neither away nor sponsor tickets proves it. Have you never seen a tout selling a ticket when we played in Lansdowne? I've unfortunately had to buy tickets from them. Do you at least understand the theory of what I'm saying?

You have ignored the very reason they brought in the BB system in the first place.
Solved one problem, created another. Why not strive for a system which attempts to solve all problems? Considering these type of systems are implemented all through Western Europe I doubt even the FAI could fail at this.

You would have been a good consultant on the PPARS project with the shortsightedness your portraying at the moment.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
03/11/2009, 9:12 PM
And I suppose you've never seen a tout at any other ground in Western Europe except Lansdowne Road seeing as they have such great ticketing systems

stickyjoe
03/11/2009, 9:14 PM

Are you for real? There hasn`t been a game for the last 2 campaigns where you could "tout" a home ticket and make any money whatsoever, probably for France home game you could......if anything a tout would lose money over the last few years as they would of been left with a load of tickets for friendly games and qualifiers that there was no interest for e.g. georgia, cyprus x 2, montenegro, slovakia etc. and thats before I even talk about specific friendly games.

Bluetonic
03/11/2009, 9:16 PM
Are you for real? There hasn`t been a game for the last 2 campaigns where you could "tout" a home ticket and make any money whatsoever, probably for France home game you could......if anything a tout would lose money over the last few years as they would of been left with a load of tickets for friendly games and qualifiers that there was no interest for e.g. georgia, cyprus x 2, montenegro, slovakia etc. and thats before I even talk about specific friendly games.
Are you for real?

If you took the time to read my posts you'd see I clearly stated that I'm talking about the block booking system pre and post Croke Park.

(Deep breaths)

elroy
03/11/2009, 9:18 PM
The only big game of note at LR in recent times where I remember alot of tickets been sold by touts was the Czech Rep game. They were actually going for FV. I must admit that I did pay alot of money for a ticket to the French game a few years back, but in general saw very few touts for our games at LR.

In any system you will have touts but certainly the number is reduced under the BB system as tickets are for the most part sold to those who will use them. If tickets went on general sale this would def not be the case.

stickyjoe
03/11/2009, 9:22 PM
Are you for real?

If you took the time to read my posts you'd see I clearly stated that I'm talking about the block booking system pre and post Croke Park.

(Deep breaths)

Post-Croke Park will be similar, will be no profit to be made touting tickets over a period of a campaign. Maybe I`m missing something but I didn`t think there was a significant problem with tickets been touted pre-croke park either. And if anyone does buy a touted ticket all you need to do is report to the FAI and they`ll cancel the BB.

No system will suit everybody(especially if you`re not on it) but the BB system is as good as you`ll get. Not sure what difference it would make spliting a BB of 5 into individual bookings, surely a tout would just put 5 different names on it and still get the tickets:confused:

Bluetonic
03/11/2009, 9:25 PM
And I suppose you've never seen a tout at any other ground in Western Europe except Lansdowne Road seeing as they have such great ticketing systems
There has been a vast reduction in touting, Old Trafford pre fan card to post fan card being one an example of one. Touting of course still exists. As long as there is a market for something people will strive to exploit that market.

What we should be aiming for here is refinement of the block booking system which is of course undoubtedly built on solid foundations. If there are ways in which is can be improved why would anyone not want to see these being implemented?

The fact that some people are also so heavily involved with the block booking system at this stage also doesn't really help with what should be a open analysis of it.