PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Italy - Saturday, 10th October 2009 - World Cup 2010 Q

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

geysir
12/10/2009, 8:16 PM
The site is down.

irishfan86
12/10/2009, 8:21 PM
You can download the match in parts here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NWEKXLY2
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XYC28KGN
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8MXU9XYY
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YAK720J2
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GM5QSUPV
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B28QZEXD
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2EV1ZOYN
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GF1POTXI

Mad Moose
12/10/2009, 10:17 PM
My god I've read the entire thread and I cannot believe some of the comments on here. I know people are entitled to opinions and though I haven't heard Dunphy's analysis he is so very typical of what Ireland has become as a people. That sounds harsh but my god is there any pleasing some people. I can only recall the reign of Steve Staunton to recall my lowest ebb as a supporter of our wonderful country and I will cherish the memory and pride I felt on Saturday night and it will sustain me for a long time to come and thats only one managerial reign post the fiasco that was Staunton's reign. What exactly as Irish football fans do we want. We can critise Trapatoni's typical Italian style play of defensive football but any man that openly says he's disappointed in holding the current world champions to a draw is living in the clouds. My god would it be so hard to say we did very very well and we should be very proud indeed. I know my football and I have my feet firmly on the ground and I am a proud (and hoarse) Irishman and I am proud of what Giovanni Trappatoni has brought to this side.

For me in any football side I want any fella that lines out for my team, regardless of his standard or ability, to give it his all and be prepared to bust a gut for the cause. I admire Trappatoni's position on Andy Reid and I hope he never asks Ireland back into the squad however good he is. I have a feeling Trap won't offer the olive branch again either and Stephen Ireland will lose out and rue his decision. I'm sick of the argument about Reid. I've heard how great he is in the EPL and of his performance at Old Trafford. But I'm backing Trap on this one, his attitude from what I hear is all wrong and isn't improving greatly. Trappatoni is setting his managerial stamp here and anybody in that squad knows what he wants and is about. I'd sooner have that any day of the week.

The performance was a mixed bag, I'm not disappointed at all bar a few silly balls and poor tracking at times. I thought McGeady ran at them but doesn't have a finished product at all. I thought Whelan (however average a player people believe him to be) worked his socks off. I thought the defence was relatively commanding and for the first time ever I liked the look of John O'Shea. I couldn't fault Keane and Doyle's industry whatsoever however frustrating. Keane for me as he does, dipped in and out of the game but was a thorn in that Italian defenses side on many occasions. I admire and like players whom I can tell have given their all and for a brief 3 minutes I re-lived the feeling of sheer ectasy at McAteer's goal as far back as 2001 and it felt wonderful. The equaliser was cruel and it silenced me for quite a while afterward. I don't think the atmosphere at Croke Park is wonderful at all and the gound lacked that fortress element. Despite shouting my head off for 90 minutes I'd have wished there was more support around me.

I'm aware I've said very little of Dunphy. I do hope and pray that the same applies to Trappatoni and that he ignores him and doesn't rise to his comments. I've a feeling the language barrier might just work in our favour on this one. Besides Trappatoni to me is to wise and wily and experienced when it comes to handling himself and his critic's. I'm sure this is valuable experience he will also impart to this squad.

I do admit to dancing in the streets with Italian fans at 4 in the morning and I have to say despite the small numbers of us it felt great to be so proud of our boys and our country. As the Italians departed we belted out a few rounds of 'You'll never beat the Irish'. And its true. In two games the Italians, the World Champions haven't beat us. Then again nobody has beaten us competitively in this campaign. Sound familar to anybody? Positive football or negative football I'd sooner have this position that anything that preceded the hurt and shame of the previous campaign!

P.S Any chance of a recording of the game Tetsujin. Ya never let me down before?:D

Stuttgart88
12/10/2009, 10:27 PM
I think everyone if possible should watch the game again, particuarly the first half which we dominated. The ball was in the Italian half for most of the first half. They had only two genuine chances, a long range volley and the corner which led to the goal. Apart from that, they were pinned back as Ireland played attacking football.

It was the same in Bari, after the goal the Italians tried to shut up shop and Ireland dominated and were all over them.

My honest opinion at the game was that Italy controlled the ball way better than we did from the mid-point in the first half onwards. I think Bari was a different story altogether when we totally dominated posssession from about 25 minutes onwards.

The key is that Italy were happy to play out their 1-1 draw for the most part. We tried hard but too often for my liking our attacks broke down early. We worked really hard and got the ball to the wide men a lot, but hardly once can I remember a midfielder advancing beyond half way with the ball and feeding a forward with a shortish pass.

I'm not complaining, just observing. The was merit in lots of what we did on Saturday but playing normal cohesive football through the middle (like we did for long periods in Bari) just didn't happen for most of the game. We attacked, but usually with direct balls.

All I'm trying to say is that strip out the nonsensical hyperbolic drivel from Dunphy, there's an element of accuracy in Giles' assertion that we didn't retain the ball well. This is what frustrated me during the game as I was watching it.

I will watch the game again when I get the chance though.

Stuttgart88
12/10/2009, 10:37 PM
while all this complaining about being over-reliant on set pieces is going on, I actually thought it was one of the areas Trapattoni has improved on massively. Despite the likes of Dunne and O'Shea to aim at. we haven't threatened from set pieces in some time.Where am I complaining? I'm delighted. I've been harping on for years how bad we've been from set pieces and how little credit O'Neill and Mourinho got for their teams being good from them.

I'm just pointing out that we have scored 5 from open play: from a cross in Mainz and a shot that was lucky to go in, from a Duff cross against Cyprus (home & away) and a long punt from Shay in Bari. I don't give hoot how we score but my objective critisism is that the team doesn't function properly creatively in the middle. Midfield shields the defence and gets the ball to our wide men. Add more ttraditional functionality to CM (like Whelan & Reid in Norway) to what Trap has already given us and I think we'll be a handful for a lot of good teams. I'm only saying that if the RTE panel put it this way instead of patronising any Irish fan under 50 and calling the performance shameful they'd have far more credibility.

SuperDave
12/10/2009, 10:44 PM
It's not true to say we don't create from play.... If the Italian defenders weren't worried about our wingers creating something, why the hell did they foul them so often? Our two goals came from free kicks given away by worried defenders and it bit them in the ass. The reason we scored from set pieces is because the Italian defenders were too worried to actually let us try anything from play. We had lots of free kicks round the box and lots of corners too. We created plenty.

tricky_colour
12/10/2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks tried using it but it won't download!

I had no problem with it and the site is not down, maybe you are unfamiliar with torrents? It seems to be working OK.

theneutral
12/10/2009, 11:06 PM
Have to agree with Harpsbear on this one, Dunphy is a stocking, end of! Reminds me of the days of big jack, who was his worst critic at the time of our first taste of a big tournament, Dunphy! Can any of us deny what Charlton brought to us, a small country of limited resources? We really are getting above ourselves with some of this carry on!

Trap has organised us into an effective, hard working and harder to beat side, he deserves immense credit!

craig7042
12/10/2009, 11:13 PM
Have to agree with Harpsbear on this one, Dunphy is a stocking, end of! Reminds me of the days of big jack, who was his worst critic at the time of our first taste of a big tournament, Dunphy! Can any of us deny what Charlton brought to us, a small country of limited resources? We really are getting above ourselves with some of this carry on!

Trap has organised us into an effective, hard working and harder to beat side, he deserves immense credit!

I agree fully. The starting point with any team is to be a solid unit. We are not there yet, but you can see clearly what Trap is trying to do with the two defensive midfielders. It makes total sense.

tetsujin1979
13/10/2009, 12:02 AM
Where am I complaining? I'm delighted. I've been harping on for years how bad we've been from set pieces and how little credit O'Neill and Mourinho got for their teams being good from them.

Might be misreading the tone of the posts, some seemed to be criticising the over-reliance on set pieces.

P.S Any chance of a recording of the game Tetsujin. Ya never let me down before?:D
working on it, might take a day or two

Wolfie
13/10/2009, 12:49 PM
....I think McGeady is one goal away from being a big player for us. Once he gets one goal from a shot I reckon he'll try shooting more and more. It's easy to criticise his end product but there's so little for him to aim for.

Having Steven Reid fit and ready for the play offs will be an immense boost for us.

While at the game, I can remember noting how often McGeady receives the ball from a standing start as opposed to being picked out while on a run behind the full back in full flight.

This may sound trivial - but nicking that extra yard of space can make a massive difference and make it more difficult to corall the winger away from danger areas.

Perhaps its connected with our tactics and shape and he's instructed to receive the ball to feet - possibly to reduce the chance of losing possession.

I thought that he could have made a real nuisance of himself if he was receiving the ball "on the run" as opposed to a standing start and could have released Keane and Doyle more easily.

It will be interesting to see who starts on the wings in the play-offs as Lawrence now has a strong claim on starting also.

Its possible McGeady could lose out to Duff and Lawrence.

geysir
13/10/2009, 1:17 PM
McGeady did fine with most every ball he received, he held on to it in tight spaces and under tight marking, he did best when cutting inside. His dinks did not find a green shirt but his ground passing was all right.

He is such a far cry from the player that took the field against the Czechs and Slovakia.

Stuttgart88
13/10/2009, 1:26 PM
I thought McGeady had a super game myself, but I agree with Wolfie: I've felt that ever since I saw him first he always seems to receive the ball from a standing start rather than running onto it. He'd be unplayable if he did this - though presumably a lot is down to the service he gets and the room he's given.

Mad Moose
13/10/2009, 1:45 PM
Might be misreading the tone of the posts, some seemed to be criticising the over-reliance on set pieces.

Your a star. I couldn't see a great deal from the back of the Davin at all so stuggled to make out who was on the ball at times. It would be nice to see it again.

Emmet7
13/10/2009, 1:49 PM
McGeady always tries his best. As does Hunt, Lawrence in his two games, Kilbane, O'Shea, Dunne, Given, etc. They give committment.

McGeady is good at getting past players. I feel his is missing one or two weapons from his armoury. If he could shoot from 20-25 yards, he would cause major problems to any defence or goalkeeper. And if he delivered a good final ball into the box.

These are things that can be worked on. I do think he needs to work on some long range shooting. He turned inside several times and had a good shooting opportunity but didn't take it and the chance fell away.

There's little point beating players if the final ball isn't up to scratch. Ronaldo was famous for having a poor final ball. He improved on that a lot and his shooting and crossing are now top notch.

eirebhoy
14/10/2009, 3:00 AM
Only getting to see highlights of the game now since my hectic move Oz. Interesting that McGeady took the free kick here on 4.20 with his left foot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jJPct8d87g

Again more evidence of his two footedness and him having no real preference for either.

Can't believe I missed the game. I'll have to download it when I get settled in a place with internet. All about the playoffs now. 2 huge nights.

the doc
15/10/2009, 3:43 PM

Any news on the Italy game download/link?

tetsujin1979
15/10/2009, 3:46 PM
taking longer than expected
have it recorded on a hard drive recorder
have to burn it off to DVD
then rip the DVD
then split the rip into smaller files
then upload 2 750MB files
takes time
and I do have a job too!

calm your hormones, it'll be done when it's done

irishfan86
16/10/2009, 4:56 AM

I posted the game in parts above, does that not work?

tetsujin1979
23/10/2009, 11:53 AM
not looking good for the video rip :(
the DVD plays in my PS2, but my laptop refuses to recognise it, so I can't rip it
I'll try it in my parent's PC when I get home next week

BigmanCas
23/10/2009, 4:12 PM
Lawrence man of match in gazetta de la sport - a sure starter along with Duff I think for game one against France - Mc Geady to be sprung from the bench if and when required

The Legend
23/10/2009, 6:23 PM
Lawrence is far more likely to score a goal! I'm kinda sick of McGeady's bells and whistles.

Emmet7
23/10/2009, 8:02 PM
How did McGeady do against Hamburg last night. I watched a few minutes of it and Celtic were poor enough with no real attacking threat.

BigmanCas
24/10/2009, 8:19 AM
How did McGeady do against Hamburg last night. I watched a few minutes of it and Celtic were poor enough with no real attacking threat.

I am his biggest fan but his performance I have to say was toothless. He was probably the best of them still at that.

seanfhear
24/10/2009, 8:40 AM
I am his biggest fan but his performance I have to say was toothless. He was probably the best of them still at that.
Dear o dear. Mowbray is not setting the world alight is he. I almost feel guilty as I was not a great fan of Strachan. Hopefully Mowbray improves as its early days.

DeLorean
12/09/2016, 2:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ba5pQIERM4

DeLorean
13/09/2016, 8:06 AM
Closed thread.