PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl.

joeSoap
02/02/2004, 10:52 AM
Did anyone watch it?? I started to, nearly got through the first two quarters. There was still no score, and Carolina hadn't made a single yard in offense.The commentator said that it was now officially the longest period ever in a superbowl to be scoreless. It was pure muck...absolute drivel. Then I get up this morning, and find out that the Patriots shaded it 32-29 in a thriller...just my luck!!:rolleyes:

shedite
02/02/2004, 12:09 PM
It was a strange game alright. No score for first 27 minutes, then 24 points in three minutes. No score for third quarter, then explodes for the last. Great game if you're into the sport, but I can see how it would look boring.

Patriots won with a 41 yard field goal with 4 seconds remaining after Carolina leveled it with a touchdown with a minute remaining. They would have been way out of range for the field goal but for the kick off from the last touchdown went out of bounds and was brought back.

James
02/02/2004, 12:15 PM
and once again Adam Venetari does it with a last second winning kick, to win it for the Patriots for the 2nd time in 3 years.
fair play Adam

brendy_éire
02/02/2004, 1:09 PM
Can't stand American football meself, far far too 'stop-start'. Borin as hell. Like other American sports, such as baseball, which is just as boring as cricket.
Decent computer games though, Joe Montana and John Madden on the Mega Drive. Aye, those were the days. :D

Dodge
02/02/2004, 1:32 PM
At least one Pats won something this year...

max power
02/02/2004, 1:48 PM
ah pats have a lovely league cup, but is it as nice as the fai cup ?????

Dodge
02/02/2004, 1:51 PM
Aestethically yes

max power
02/02/2004, 1:53 PM
Aestethically

have you ever heard what george orwell said, why use a big word when a small word will do, in other words, what the hell are you on about ?????

gustavo
02/02/2004, 2:15 PM
it means it looks good:D

max power
02/02/2004, 2:18 PM
now wouldn't it just have been easier to write looks good ??

b_mcsweeney
02/02/2004, 2:30 PM
watched the first half and the start of the second before sense dragged me to bed (stupid work). was a good game anyway, all american sports are angled towards having an exciting last few minutes.

as an aside, janet jackson was headlining the half time show with justin timberlake and as part of the climax he ripped off a bit of her dress whereupon she 'popped out'. its caused consternation in the states, official apologies and denials all round.

James
02/02/2004, 3:06 PM
the best superbowl ever (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2004/02/02/perhaps_best_super_bowl_ever_played/)

1 million+ fans turned out in Beantown in 2002 for the last victory, amazing scenes and parties, for such a sports mad city, its alot like cork in many ways
probably wont be the same this time round though

max power
02/02/2004, 3:08 PM
i'm just wondering, i know a lot a people on this board don't like rugby, but is american football not just rugby with padding ???

Schumi
02/02/2004, 3:15 PM
Originally posted by max power
but is american football not just rugby with padding ??? No, it's much worse than that. :)

shedite
02/02/2004, 3:55 PM
i'm just wondering, i know a lot a people on this board don't like rugby, but is american football not just rugby with padding ???

No it's rugby with brains. The great thing about American Football is that very rarely do teams win twice in a few years. None of this Man United/Arsenal dominance thing. New England won 2 in 3 years and they're already been talked about as the team of the decade.

I think it's great that two years ago, Patriots won, while Caroliana lost 15 of 16 games and now they are every bit as good.

Also I love the climates too. So many different types of venues. They go from playing in the desert in Arizona, to the freezing snow in Green Bay, to an indoor dome in Indianapolis.

And what sets it apart from other American sports is that it's a one off game. Not a best of seven playoff series. It means that anyone can beat anyone on their day.

I like it anyway...

James
02/02/2004, 4:12 PM
agree with ya there shedite
wasnt convinced about it b4, but watched all of the pats games bar 1(when they lost :)),the last time they won the superbowl, and theres actually alot more to it then the stop start hit bang wallop i thought it was..

plus the emergance of tom brady taking over from the injured drew bledsoe, then bledshoe coming back and supporting brady..

SÓC
02/02/2004, 4:17 PM
Originally posted by shedite

I like it anyway...

We all know why you like it;

See here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?s=&postid=95913#post95913) why Shedite loves his Americian Football;) :D

the 12 th man
02/02/2004, 4:25 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
We all know why you like it;

See here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?s=&postid=95913#post95913) why Shedite loves his Americian Football;) :D

kawabunga thats superb/those girlsl could be the cheerleaders
that the lads are looking for in cork at the x.!!!!!!:D

MikeW
02/02/2004, 6:19 PM
The padding is often more of a weapon than a defense, makes the collisions that much more ferocious. Running backs get the worst of it, they often have serious shoulder, leg or back problems later in life due to having to propel themselves as hard as they can into a group of 300+ pound Offensive linemen. A 20 stone lineman would be seriously undersized in the modern game.

I find it refreshing to watch a game like American Football since I tend to get seriously angry with the Association version when some fairy of a player throws himself to the ground as if acid had just been poured in his face upon the slightest contact. It really is embarassing to see something like that.

On last nights game, Carolina really blew it when their kicker managed to kick the ball out of bounds on the restart with one minute to go. all he had to do was kick the damn thing as far as he could while keeping it on the field of play yet he couldn't do it. It gave the Pats some crucial extra yards which eventually resulted in the winning field goal.

UCD_4_Life
02/02/2004, 9:45 PM
American Football is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than any form of Rugby it's not even funny.

Seriously.

Saw the game this morning/last night and thought it was bloody brilliant. As entertaining as any event/match I've seen in any sport over the past twelve months bar half a dozen football matches.

the 12 th man
03/02/2004, 7:41 AM
its a great spectacle to look at.its an amazing tactical game.some guys spend their whole career without ever touching the ball !

occasionally when there is a fumble, the ball might break to one of these guys who are invariably big musclebound guys who normally just tackle,its highly amusing to see them try to run with the ball as they trundle down the pitch.remember "the fridge" for
example ,he was a giant but couldnt run for nuts.

max power
03/02/2004, 7:52 AM
some guys spend their whole career without touching the ball, a bit like an athlone keeper eh. i agree there are a lot of tatics but where is the exciting game play, where is the free flowing sport. i was at a game in indy last year and by half time i was almost asleep, more boring sporting event i've ever been at in my life.

i have to say ice hockey blows it out of the water for play, atmosphere and selection of food on sale !!!

the 12 th man
03/02/2004, 8:09 AM
but where is the exciting game play, where is the free flowing sport.

i have to say ice hockey blows it out of the water for play, atmosphere and selection of food on sale !!!

its the sight of the much smaller running backs with the ball trying to out wit the bigger gorilla type blockers who are trying to stop
them.you have the blockers from the attacking teams trying to give their best "pass protection" to their guys.the quarter back might try a fifty yard throw to his player,which takes some doing and is risky.you have the oppostion charging (blitzing) the opposing quarterback trying to sack him(tackle behind the line of scrimmage/where the play started from).
its difficult to explain as you know ,to someone why you like a sport if the other person just doesnt get it(like me with tennis or badminton or swimming or rowing)

i see by the end of your post it all boils down to the munch factor in the end:D

max power
03/02/2004, 8:12 AM
i'll put it this way, its sad when the venue keeps my attention more than the game play.....

Ruairi
03/02/2004, 11:50 AM
janet jackson made a "right t!t" of herself at the half time show.....

tiktok
03/02/2004, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi

a sad (and planned) attention seeking stunt

max power
03/02/2004, 1:02 PM
drop the "st" and put in a "c"

Peadar
03/02/2004, 1:17 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi

Just to fill people in on this if you don't already know, Janet Jackson was performing a duet with Justin Timberlake when he tore a piece of her costume, revealing her right breast.

Now the Federal Communications Commission has launched an investigation into the incident.

I think that is totally pathetic!
America has piped violence out to us through TV and Film for decades but a part of the female body is exposed and they go mental. MTV are major proponents of this petty censorship. They should get their priorities straight.

tiktok
03/02/2004, 1:29 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
America has piped violence out to us through TV and Film for decades but a part of the female body is exposed and they go mental. MTV are major proponents of this petty censorship. They should get their priorities straight.

America's TV networks are all heavily sanitised by the FCC. Only HBO and Showtime, both cable stations with individuals subcription rates show any swearing, nudity or violence.

MTV actually get away with more than most because music videos have become more sexually explicit and violent. Since MTV produced the half time show it was always likely the FCC would come down hard on them.

Ms. Jackson had a handy piece of jewelery covering her nipple, i wonder how she knew she'd need it. This incident was as staged as the Osbournes is.

let's not get all anti-US though, If the same thing happened at half time in the All ireland, Joe Duffy would be a very busy man defending the station.

Peadar
03/02/2004, 1:56 PM
Originally posted by tiktok

Ms. Jackson had a handy piece of jewelery covering her nipple, i wonder how she knew she'd need it. This incident was as staged as the Osbournes is.

Ms. Jackson has stated in her apology that it was staged.
I just can't see what the problem is.
The country who sent an army to "liberate" Iraq, is too conservative to cope with an incident or minor nudity?

my left foot
03/02/2004, 2:51 PM
i`ve a mate who has played gridiron for ireland on numerous occasions.he also played rugby at junior level,ie in the same team as me.he gave up gridiron claiming it was boring to play.i reckon football and rugby have different uses,rugby is better to play and football is far better to watch