PDA

View Full Version : Lee Trundle rejects North

Pages : [1] 2

pineapple stu
27/01/2004, 9:46 PM
Lawrie Sanchez is already looking for new players, but Lee Trundle has come out saying that he's got his heart set on playing for the Republic, cos of his dad being from Inchicore. Brian Kerr was in the papers saying that there were a few players ahead of him at the moment due to Division Three being a lower standard than the eL Premier.

IrelandUnited
27/01/2004, 9:56 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Lawrie Sanchez is already looking for new players, but Lee Trundle has come out saying that he's got his heart set on playing for the Republic, cos of his dad being from Inchicore. Brian Kerr was in the papers saying that there were a few players ahead of him at the moment due to Division Three being a lower standard than the eL Premier.

Well who can blame the lad? Stuck in div 3 and with NI. His only chance of a run in the shop window is with the ROI. reality is that NI no longer serve that purpose for lads and consequently if they can get out of it they will.

gspain
28/01/2004, 7:54 AM
Scored a great goal v first division Preston last weekend.

Think Lee O'Trundle is worth a look actually.

With Gary Doherty at the back we don't have alot of options up front - maybe one of the O'Flynn's.

Duncan Gardner
28/01/2004, 7:55 AM
Is Lee Trundle is eligible to play for Northern Ireland? I suppose if his Irish grandparent was born before partitiion he might be.

Still, if he's not interested that's no problem.

Without exaggerating the standard atop English Division 3, I would have it some way ahead of the LoI. Fitness from full-time training is crucial.

Macy
28/01/2004, 8:06 AM
Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
Is Lee Trundle is eligible to play for Northern Ireland? I suppose if his Irish grandparent was born before partitiion he might be.
Doesn't have to be born pre-partition, only before we were Declared a Republic in 1948. The free state was part of the commonwealth, and those born pre-48 are entitled to British Passports and Citizenship. Not unrealistic that his parents were born before that?

drummerboy
28/01/2004, 8:36 AM
Originally posted by Duncan Gardner

Still, if he's not interested that's no problem.

Without exaggerating the standard atop English Division 3, I would have it some way ahead of the LoI. Fitness from full-time training is crucial.

I think his father was actually born in Dubllin

Macy
28/01/2004, 8:45 AM
Originally posted by drummerboy
I think his father was actually born in Dubllin
We know that, see first post - it's how he qualifies for Norn Iron that is at question....

Bowsy
28/01/2004, 8:51 AM
Grandad is from Inchicore. As Eligible as Clinton. Bad state of affairs when were looking to a 27 year old 3rd Division player. Unless he proves himself at a lot higher level we shouldn't even think about putting him near our national team.

Macy
28/01/2004, 9:07 AM
Isn't it more that he's the one doing the looking? Issuing come and get me pleas etc...

patsh
28/01/2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Brian Kerr was in the papers saying that there were a few players ahead of him at the moment due to Division Three being a lower standard than the eL Premier.
Did Kerr actually say that about the eL premier and the 3rd division?
Are there possible callups for Jason Byrne and John O'Flynn so?
Does it mean Crowe will get another chance?

drummerboy
28/01/2004, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know what happened Ronnie O'Brien. The last I heard of him he was with Dundee United.

Bowsy
28/01/2004, 10:01 AM
The lad is 27. What has he been doing for the previous 7 or 8 odd years of his career? Has he scored an FA cup goal against any team better than Preston NE? If the waste of space that is David Connolly played in the 3rd Division he'd be banging in 40 a season.

Bowsy
28/01/2004, 10:04 AM
Ronnie plays for Dallas Burn in MLS.

Macy
28/01/2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Guerzy
Connolly never was a waste of space. Next thing youll be saying Henry is only an average player.
So what you're saying is that Connolly has always performed for Ireland and has matched his club form?

Bowsy
28/01/2004, 10:27 AM
Lee Trundle is great and comparing Thierry Henry to the Angry Ant. I hope there is at least a hint of Irony in these comments.

the 12 th man
28/01/2004, 10:47 AM
Now your just looking for a debate. People forget what Connolly was. When he first started playing for Ireland he was what Robbie Keane is now. So give him a break.

put your tin hat on my friend cos i think you are going to need it.get ready to get hurled out of it:D

Macy
28/01/2004, 10:49 AM
Now your just looking for a debate. People forget what Connolly was. When he first started playing for Ireland he was what Robbie Keane is now. So give him a break.
LOL, and you're accusing me of looking a debate...

Bowsy
28/01/2004, 10:52 AM
Somebody looking for a debate on a football forum. Well i never!

Bowsy
28/01/2004, 10:56 AM
Not questioning Connolly's ability but he has very very rarely performed for us. It's at a stage where you expect him to miss when through on goal.

4tothefloor
28/01/2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by davros
He(Connolly),like Lee Trundle,is unlikely alas,to match up to his potential........on an international stage......both seem too lightweight......Robbie K.has more ability/agility,so has been able to do the biz.on an international stage,to date...

Lee Trundle lightweight?! You must have the wrong man i'm afraid, cos lightweight he aint! Hate to say this but in terms of technical ability, finishing and dead ball situations, Trundle would **** all over anyone in the EL. Regarding Jason Byrne for Ireland, for the love.......! Trundle will be playing first division football or above in the not too distant future. He's quality.

I also agree Connolly is still a good player, he's doing the business for West Ham after all. He's never going to be a top international player, but isn't a bad squad player to have. We should give Trundle a go simply because we've nothing to lose with him.

Schumi
28/01/2004, 12:44 PM
From what I've seen of Trundle, his name describes him well. He has the build and pace of Andy Myler and I can't see him playing for Ireland.

NorthoftheLee
28/01/2004, 12:50 PM
He(Connolly),like Lee Trundle,is unlikely alas,to match up to his potential........on an international stage......both seem too lightweight......Robbie K.has more ability/agility,so has been able to do the biz.on an international stage,to date...

trundle and lightweight..never though i'd hear the two of them words in the same sentence without NOT.

the whole reason trundle is only breaking through at 27 is because he only decided to go full time last year.....he has admitted that he was a lazy ******* and his attitude was all wrong, hence him not being picked up sooner...he changed all that and is now reaping the rewards...he'll be picked up fairly soon by at least a div 1 club.......seen him play a couple of times this season and seen some hightlights too, now I'm not saying that the guy is going to walk into the irish team because that aint going to happen, but if he continues his current form and progress i see no reason why he cant be bagging goals in the 1st div and then who knows.....the guy is unbelievably skillfull..you only have to look at some of the goals he's scored this season..."SHOWBOAT" on soccer am have in in there nearly every week......the one where he took a high ball, on his shoulder, twisted so the ball was on the other shoulder and then layed on a brilliant through ball was incredible skill and even had george best drooling as if he'd seen a free bottle of champagne for life promo....
this guy is way too good for 3rd div football, and he is a player that fans love to watch.....just keep and eye on him.......too soon at the moment for a call up but if he continues scoring then he'll have to be considered..........

Bowsy
28/01/2004, 1:01 PM
i've seen him on Soccer AM but when he starts doing that in the 1st division or higher then we can start talking about him as a future ireland player. To me he looks a bit overweight and i think he'll be found out at a higher level. I really hope the lad proves me wrong, becomes a class act and you lads can say i told you so as we really need some fire power. Can't see it though.

tiktok
28/01/2004, 1:48 PM
he looks strong and is a good finisher but we can't judge him properly at the moment. he obviously wants to play for Ireland so put him to one side and have a look again down the line.

i do think he'll be picked up by a bigger (probably first division) club, so then is the time to start judging how good he really is.

Macy
28/01/2004, 2:10 PM
Well i'm glad someone here can see into the future. Tell us are City going to win the league next year. Trundle has never played an international yet so how can you judge him before hes even had a chance. I cant wait for the day when he does to hear all of ye saying "I told ya the boy was good"
But Connolly has, and has proved to be for the most part absolutely shíte...

John83
28/01/2004, 2:23 PM
Robbie Keane is now on the verge of breaking Quinn's scoring record. Connelly has at no point been anywhere near that mark. And it's not like the little ******* is a playmaker.

The possibility of giving Trundle a go seems to me to lie with a B international cap. Has Kerr made any indication that he's still considering this?

Dodge
28/01/2004, 2:27 PM
Look its not Connolly’s fault he’s played for Ireland, we just have a severe shortage of quality strikers.

Oh and the fact that Trundle even knows about Inchicore, never mind the fact his granddad comes from here, means he should start for Ireland :)

Macy
28/01/2004, 2:36 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Look its not Connolly’s fault he’s played for Ireland, we just have a severe shortage of quality strikers.
It's his fault that he spat the dummy when he was left out by Givens...

Bowsy
28/01/2004, 3:34 PM
Honesty is one thing but he's just not an affective threat at international level. If he was we wouldn't be playing The Doc up front or discussing Lee Trundle.

John83
28/01/2004, 3:47 PM
Obviously you have a grudge against Connolly calling him that. You know its not his fault he gets picked and successive managers cant be wrong. He s an honest player with loads of heart. He says things the way he sees them and i like that.
For the first part, note the use of the word "irrational" in my sig. He can't help it that one of our better strikers is unfortunately ineffective at international level. But he's still ****.

About him losing the marbles when dropped, that I can't abide by. Honesty might be a virtue, but petulance isn't.

pineapple stu
28/01/2004, 4:35 PM
Originally posted by patsh
Did Kerr actually say that about the eL premier and the 3rd division?
Are there possible callups for Jason Byrne and John O'Flynn so?
Does it mean Crowe will get another chance?

He was quoted saying that in The Star yesterday. (Someone else bought it and left it lying around, I swear!:rolleyes: )

I think the implication was that he would hold O'Flynn, Crowe, etc. above Trundle at the moment.

Slash/ED
28/01/2004, 6:22 PM
If Trundle plays for us it wont be in the third division unless we hit rock bottom. Let him move to the first division at the very least and until then he'll only be worth a B cap.

Bowsy
29/01/2004, 8:46 AM
Do B internationals still exist? Haven't heard of any country having one in many a year. Would be really useful for trying out players like Thornton, Butler, Doyle, etc as well as the likes of Trundle. Would any club be willing to let their players go for a game that's not a full international nowadays?

Dodge
29/01/2004, 9:01 AM
Scotland played a few recently. Think they tarted it up as a "development" squad

Plastic Paddy
29/01/2004, 9:05 AM
Speaking of 'B' internationals, I'm sure I read somewhere hereabouts that Brian Kerr was thinking of arranging a 'B' game early this year, although obviously nothing has yet transpired. Surely this would be a good opportunity to look at the likes of Trundle as well as players like John Thompson, Sean Thornton, Scott Fitzgerald of Watford (banging them in at Division 1 level) and maybe even Kevin Gallen of QPR?

:) PP

pineapple stu
29/01/2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
Speaking of 'B' internationals, I'm sure I read somewhere hereabouts that Brian Kerr was thinking of arranging a 'B' game early this year, although obviously nothing has yet transpired.

I think one was arranged but had to be scrapped after clubs said they wouldn't be prepared to release players. Don't think it was down for a regular international week.

Bowsy
29/01/2004, 1:09 PM
Any B international would probably have to be played night before full international like u21s. Even then it's hard to see managers being willing to let their players go and risk injury. Would benefit us greatly though. Chance to ease in players and get untested players use to playing with each other. Also a good test of loyalty. Would players be prepared to sacrafice their right to play for England, Jamaica, Scotland whatever for only a B International cap.

Macy
29/01/2004, 1:40 PM
even Kevin Gallen of QPR?
Ah come on.... He made his choice (and fair play if he didn't feel Irish), so shouldn't be allowed to wear the shirt now he knows he'll never make the England side (and as I understand he has no interest anyway).

Plastic Paddy
29/01/2004, 1:58 PM
Originally posted by Macy
Ah come on.... He made his choice (and fair play if he didn't feel Irish), so shouldn't be allowed to wear the shirt now he knows he'll never make the England side (and as I understand he has no interest anyway).
We've discussed this before at http://www.foot.ie/t10809.htm

where I posted this:

I remember reading more than one newspaper article written at the time Kevin Gallen opted for England pointing the finger at Gerry Francis for pressurising Gallen to do so. Apparently, this was due to Francis not wanting Gallen to count under the three foreign player-rule. It would seem that the player was forced to choose between club and country, and had quite a difficult decision on his hands.

His brothers (Joe and Stephen) played for Watford and represented Ireland at underage levels, and his family were/are quite well-known in Irish circles in north-west London. I'd happily say give him a chance, as our lack of depth in the squad means we have to consider all possibilities available to us.

and Lopez posted this:

Seriously, those that know Gallen personally point to this. Mate of mine who worked at the Irish Post in the nineties knew the three brothers (I met Gallen's brother a couple of times as well) and he claims he was pressured. Certainly Kevin Gallen was no 'three lions tatooed on my stomach' Gerry Fitt.

which is why I feel the way I do about Gallen getting a chance.

Falconblade
29/01/2004, 8:20 PM
Connolly ****e? You guys should watch more D1 football... he's on the scoresheet more often than not for the Hammers this season. Admittedly he hasn't done too much on an international level, but when has he been given a decent chance?

Condex
29/01/2004, 10:03 PM
Apart from Robbie Keane there is no other quality striker available
to Brian Kerr.

Connolly - has had his chance, good enough had enough
Doherty - not a striker
Morrison - too light weight
Trundle - who ???

Unless they can make it in the premiership forget about them.

lopez
29/01/2004, 10:29 PM
We've discussed this before at http://www.foot.ie/t10809.htm

where I posted this:

and Lopez posted this:

which is why I feel the way I do about Gallen getting a chance.

Someone quoting moi? The ultimate form of flatulence. As for Connolly, personally he is a total cojones, but at least he is one player (Morris, McGoldrick, Kilbane, Breen, why are these blokes always getting crucified?) that came into the squad with an Irish passport. As for B internationals, any chance of one against the Tans (or maybe Pakistan or Kashmir) in Luton Mr. Rooney?

Macy
30/01/2004, 9:16 AM
Originally posted by Falconblade
Connolly ****e? You guys should watch more D1 football... he's on the scoresheet more often than not for the Hammers this season. Admittedly he hasn't done too much on an international level, but when has he been given a decent chance?
He's got 40 caps FFS, how many more chances does he need at international level?

Ozymandias
30/01/2004, 1:17 PM
I must admit when Trundle was discussed on this forum a few months ago I had said he wasn't up to it and looked overweight.....I have seen him play three times since for Swansea when I was over and The guy has an unbelievable amount of Skill...he is a big lad as well and would be a good partner for Keane if he proves he can do it at a higer level..He will definitely be in div 1. His work rate fro the team is very good so my opinion on the guy has changed....I think he should be tried out in friendlies.....

Bowsy
30/01/2004, 1:37 PM
Sorry, still not having it that he should be played in upcoming friendlies. When he proves he can do it at a higher level then give a shot. Until then he's a good 3rd division striker. Were not Norn Iron.

nifan
31/01/2004, 9:08 AM
Originally posted by Bowsy
Sorry, still not having it that he should be played in upcoming friendlies. When he proves he can do it at a higher level then give a shot. Until then he's a good 3rd division striker. Were not Norn Iron.

Your man Crowe is hardly playing in the upper echelons of world football though and he got a game.

nifan
31/01/2004, 9:08 AM
Originally posted by Bowsy

Your man Crowe is hardly playing in the upper echelons of world football though and he got a game.

Sheridan
31/01/2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by nifan
Funny definition of the "upper echelons of world football" that doesn't include the UEFA Cup and Champions League.

Although personally, I think Trundle should be given a chance. As long as he apologises for his ill-judged comments.

niamh
31/01/2004, 11:42 AM
Lee Trundle is class. I saw him play several times before Christmas and there was huge interest from Portsmouth in picking him up in the transfer window.

However Swansea are still in the FA Cup, thanks to a late winner by the man himself against Preston, and that was one of the reasons he stayed on. He's not over weight, he's got a great touch on the ball and is far better than Div 3. He is the main reason that the Swans are near the top half of the table because when he was injured earlier in the season, they couldn't score without him.

I'd say a better built GOC style player who could work well with Keane. He should get his chance to play for Ireland, esp in light of recent comments BUT not as a Div 3 player unless he's moving onwards.

cclinton
03/02/2004, 5:02 PM
Back to Ronnie O'Brien for a sec. Missed most of the last MLS season
(April thru Oct) ... got a bad leg injury, broke his tibia, via an over the top tackle from DC United's Dema Kovalenko (not the first person that Kavalenko has broke up). Ronnie should be good to go in April, although last year, Dallas were MLS's worst team.

other Irish MLS notes:
Richie Baker, a free transfer from Shelbourne has signed with The New England Revolution.