PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Free LOI Grounds?

Pages : [1] 2

Mr A
26/05/2009, 12:45 PM
Do people think this should be brought in in the LOI?

According to the Irish Times 83% of people favour smoke free stadia:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0526/breaking28.htm

Personally I hate cigarette smoke, and it seems like a natural progression from the workplace ban. Hard to enforce though.

holidaysong
26/05/2009, 1:06 PM
I'd love to see it, especially in covered stands and terraces.

Mr A
26/05/2009, 1:09 PM
This could well be worth a poll mods- How about options of:

1. Totally smoke free grounds.
2. Smoking only in designated uncovered areas.
3. Leave it as it is.

jebus
26/05/2009, 1:10 PM
I wouldn't, and I don't smoke.

Never have a problem with smokers in stands personally because of it being open

Red&White Rover
26/05/2009, 1:11 PM
Wouldn't be properly enforced in any case I don't think.

pineapple stu
26/05/2009, 1:13 PM
According to the Irish Times 83% of people favour smoke free stadia:
According to the Office of Not Smoking, 83% of people favour...

I'd agree with jebus, even though the smoking ban in pubs is about the best thing to have happened to the country that I can remember.

tiktok
I'd love to see all the grounds smoke free.
It'd only be occasionally you'd suffer from smoke getting blown in your face, but I'd still be in favour of banning it.

Macy
I don't smoke anymore, but I think it'd be stupid when grounds aren't full and very open. I haven't once heard a complaint about, but I'm sure it'll be the next excuse some numbskull will use not to go to LoI games...

pineapple stu
26/05/2009, 1:14 PM
I think it'd be stupid when grounds aren't full and very open.
Yeah, that's true. If someone's smoking and annoying you, it's very easy to move. Not the case indoors in a pub.

pete
26/05/2009, 1:19 PM
I can see it now, all the smokers outside the gate at halftime getting their fix. ;)

Would this extend to golf courses or are they not classified as stadia. Might be a problem for the competitiors.

tiktok
26/05/2009, 1:21 PM
Yeah, that's true. If someone's smoking and annoying you, it's very easy to move. Not the case indoors in a pub.

Why should the non-smoker have to move? It's much easier for the smoker to just put his/her cigarette out.
Then again, I'd just ban smoking outright.

Rovers Maniac
26/05/2009, 1:22 PM
No no no ffs, i don't smoke but i don't want to live in a police state either !
I have never heard of anybody complaining about smoking in LOI grounds. As somebody else says they are open and are doing well to be half full so get a grip.

passinginterest
26/05/2009, 1:23 PM
This could well be worth a poll mods- How about options of:

1. Totally smoke free grounds.
2. Smoking only in designated uncovered areas.
3. Leave it as it is.

I thought 2 was already the case in all grounds? Is it not mentioned in the ground regulations that smoking is not allowed in covered areas? It's definitely the case in Tallaght that there are designated smoking areas behind the stand and it was announced before the first few games certainly that no smoking was allowed in the stand, not that a lot of the smokers paid any attention to it.

A total ban would be pointless, designated smoking areas makes sense.

Sam_Heggy
26/05/2009, 1:27 PM
Its different in an enclosed stadium, in the likes of Finn Park it would be hard to enforce.
Now, in the new Finn park it would be good to have designated areas behind the stands.

Conroy
26/05/2009, 1:39 PM
In Oriel i think in the stand Smoking is banned, Not a hope of it being enforced in the shed.

pete
26/05/2009, 1:41 PM
In Oriel i think in the stand Smoking is banned...

Is that a wooden stand by any chance? ;)

Macy
26/05/2009, 1:43 PM
Why should the non-smoker have to move?
Because, face facts, they're just not cool.

John83
26/05/2009, 1:56 PM
I've generally been in favour of the cigarette ban, but I don't see the point in stadia. Occasionally, cigar smoke will be a nuisance, but it's just too open for cigarette smoke to bother me. Maybe others are more irritated by cigarette smoke though. Designated areas seems reasonable enough, but I'm not too pushed either way.

pineapple stu
26/05/2009, 1:57 PM
Why should the non-smoker have to move? It's much easier for the smoker to just put his/her cigarette out.
Then again, I'd just ban smoking outright.
Didn't say they had to move; I said it was easy to move.

I'd also ban smoking outright, but that's obviously not practicable.

Seagull
26/05/2009, 2:40 PM
In Oriel i think in the stand Smoking is banned, Not a hope of it being enforced in the shed.

In the covered stand art the Carlisle there are 'no smoking' signs along up the back. They're not that obvious, but most people step out and stand by the wall when smoking. I've pointed out the signs a couple of times to people who lit up near me and they had no problem stepping out of the stand to smoke...

sligoman
26/05/2009, 2:48 PM
I'd like to see them in designated areas alright. Don't see why I, as a non-smoker, should have to move if smoke is bothering me.

It'll never happen anyway as it'd be impossible to control.

RoversHead
26/05/2009, 2:50 PM
Im a smoker ,in favour of designated areas like in Tallaght at the rear of the stand at half time,down to one per game so works for me but total bans too hard to enforce but us smokers dont have a leg to stand on theres no credible arguement against banning smoking anywhere.

passerrby
26/05/2009, 2:53 PM
Didn't say they had to move; I said it was easy to move.

I'd also ban smoking outright, but that's obviously not practicable.

clubs should be forced to designate 65% of their ground smoke free and then if they break the rules they can increase there percentage for the last game of the season to ensure they are back underneath the rules.
it just requires all clubs to make it work like they do with the SCP

Dodge
26/05/2009, 2:55 PM
I'd like to see them in designated areas alright. Don't see why I, as a non-smoker, should have to move if smoke is bothering me.

So basically you're saying that if anything bothers you they should move. So say the sight of an ugly bird bothers me, I should have the right to tell her to move rather than me move? Or maybe even someone who smells really bad?

If that’s what you mean then I agree 100%

peadar1987
26/05/2009, 2:57 PM
clubs should be forced to designate 65% of their ground smoke free and then if they break the rules they can increase there percentage for the last game of the season to ensure they are back underneath the rules.
it just requires all clubs to make it work like they do with the SCP

Clubs would just abuse the system by moving the smoking areas around, and pretending certain areas of the stadium were for coaches and bar staff, then letting fans smoke in them anyway.

passerrby
26/05/2009, 2:59 PM
So basically you're saying that if anything bothers you they should move. So say the sight of an ugly bird bothers me, I should have the right to tell her to move rather than me move? Or maybe even someone who smells really bad?

If that’s what you mean then I agree 100%

an ugly bird cannot give you cancer, the clap maybe

sligoman
26/05/2009, 2:59 PM

If that’s what you mean then I agree 100%Passive smoking is bad for your health...ugly women and smelly people aren't so much;)

passerrby
26/05/2009, 3:02 PM
Clubs would just abuse the system by moving the smoking areas around, and pretending certain areas of the stadium were for coaches and bar staff, then letting fans smoke in them anyway.

hmm you could be right maybe it would be best if the FAI brought in a smoking compliance officer then it would be air tight and nobody could break the rules

John83
26/05/2009, 3:03 PM
Passive smoking is bad for your health...ugly women and smelly people aren't so much;)
Most people are under the impression that the health risks are higher than they are. Regardless, we have lots of arbitrary social rules for various reasons. Said ugly chick is required to be clothed in the stadium, for instance.

Rovers1
26/05/2009, 3:08 PM
So say the sight of an ugly bird bothers me, I should have the right to tell her to move rather than me move?

What if they got there first Dodge...? Then you've a predicament.

awec
26/05/2009, 3:14 PM
I assume this would be enforced by Stewards?

Do Stewards have the power to remove people from the ground in the LOI? Or more importantly, are they willing to confront if need be?

niallsparky
26/05/2009, 3:17 PM
Do Stewards have the power to remove people from the ground in the LOI?

Of course.

awec
26/05/2009, 3:21 PM
Of course.
Aye, but are they willing to do it?

Up here stewards are unpaid volunteers, not sure of the situation down there.

Mr A
26/05/2009, 3:22 PM
Smokers should be concentrated in a certain section of the ground. They should also have to wear a special symbol so that everyone knows to stay away from them.

peadar1987
26/05/2009, 3:34 PM
Aye, but are they willing to do it?

Up here stewards are unpaid volunteers, not sure of the situation down there.

I know in Bray the stewards are paid, if they were unpaid volunteers then there'd be too many people crying off, and we don't operate with much of a safety margin numbers-wise.

Dodge
26/05/2009, 3:36 PM
I think there is something alone the lines of Stewards being unwilling/legally unable to eject someone without the Garda being present. Not anywhere near certain about this...

passerrby
26/05/2009, 3:37 PM
it appears the only way around this is to grantaid all clubs to build a seperate stand for smokers ,ugly birds and ,smelly people it gives me three reasons to get away from the missus

tiktok
26/05/2009, 3:38 PM
So say the sight of an ugly bird bothers me, I should have the right to tell her to move rather than me move?

I think your right to tell her to move increases with the amount of alcohol you have consumed, then again the more alcohol you have consumed the less likely that she's all that ugly after all.

It's a tough one.

CMcC
26/05/2009, 3:38 PM
Clubs shoud be handing out free ciggies to compensate for the stress most team force on their supporters. Now, that may help attendances in this league ;)

John83
26/05/2009, 3:39 PM
I think there is something alone the lines of Stewards being unwilling/legally unable to eject someone without the Garda being present. Not anywhere near certain about this...
I don't know about that. I've certainly seen stewards move people who were causing trouble; whether it's been out the gate or not I don't know. Possibly varies from ground to ground, but there seems to be a fair bit of centralised training now, so I'd expect it to be relatively consistent across the league.

Sam_Heggy
26/05/2009, 4:21 PM
I just realised whilst editing my signature, I stand beside Mr.A at Harps games and depending on the teams performance, I smoke like a trooper. :o

I can imagine now, the singing crew divided, the smoking crew and the non-smoking, 2 over here and the other 2 over the other end. :p

Kildareman
26/05/2009, 4:21 PM
I dont smoke but just cant see a reason to ban smoking if its not in an enclosed stand/area or one made of wood.
Anyway, if you want to watch football in a smoke free enviroment then just pull up a barstool.
Maybe thats why barstoolers dont go to matches because of the health hazard?:)

Mr A
26/05/2009, 4:24 PM
I just realised whilst editing my signature, I stand beside Mr.A at Harps games and depending on the teams performance, I smoke like a trooper. :o

I can imagine now, the singing crew divided, the smoking crew and the non-smoking, 2 over here and the other 2 over the other end. :p

It's resettlement in the east for you me bucko.

pixiehead
26/05/2009, 4:37 PM
The common sence idea is to have designated areas for smokers. Then everyones happy! Most people agree? Covered areas could be non and say terrace areas allowed! :)

corkboy360
26/05/2009, 5:17 PM
Why modernise football stadiums even more ? (and no I do not smoke)

Actually recall the Ireland v Bulgaria game with my dad,granda and a few uncles. One of my uncles is a smoker and the last time he was at a match was probably in Landsdowne as the big screen in croke park had no smoking signs theres my uncle under side of the jacket puffing away.The funniest part was when my other uncle turned to him and said theres some ****ing ejit smokng behind me I think:D

pete
26/05/2009, 5:27 PM
I dont smoke but just cant see a reason to ban smoking if its not in an enclosed stand/area or one made of wood.

or plastic.

Brays stand is probably flamable ;)

Candystripe
26/05/2009, 5:55 PM
No smoking in the old stand in the Brandywell.

The new stand is still a smoking zone ;)

GlasnevinRed
26/05/2009, 6:02 PM
I wouldn't be pushed about it to be honest. If it ever bothers me I can just move so it would only ever be a problem if it's a sell out.

Red Star
26/05/2009, 6:28 PM
More control over us people won't be happy until we're living in a total police state:mad:

Everything now of days is all health and safety and invasion privacy with CCTV everywhere

What’s next the FAI handing our fines to clubs where supporters are caught smoking? A bit of smoke in an open stadium would cause F all health problems:D

http://file040a.bebo.com/8/large/2008/06/28/09/3555514343a8147086805l.jpg

peadar1987
26/05/2009, 7:23 PM
or plastic.

Brays stand is probably flamable ;)

Too cold for fires at the Carlisle!