PDA

View Full Version : Showgrounds capacity set at 2,700 For Europe

Pages : [1] 2

Rovers Maniac
20/05/2009, 10:24 AM
Very small only the two stands being used, no seating behind the goals at the railway end. Basically less people than what was the Bray game at the end of last season which was to get into Europe.

Edit: From the Champion

dong
20/05/2009, 10:35 AM
That's okay. I'll be glad if we fill it.
Again, well done to all who devoted their time to making the necessary improvements to the ground.

red bellied
20/05/2009, 10:39 AM
Very small only the two stands being used, no seating behind the goals at the railway end. Basically less people than what was the Bray game at the end of last season which was to get into Europe.

Edit: From the Champion

Just over 1800 main stand plus 886 in Jinks Avenue side. Probably not worth their while installing temporary seats. Dont think they should up ticket prices for this, maybe 20 euro at the most.

corkboy360
20/05/2009, 11:12 AM
Stupid really.
Sligo should put in temporary seats behind the goals and milk this it is not every year you get into europe.

Rovers1
20/05/2009, 11:14 AM
Stupid really.
Sligo should put in temporary seats behind the goals and milk this it is not every year you get into europe.

I agree, but maybe the club just can't afford it, they're not cheap those Tesco stands.

pete
20/05/2009, 11:19 AM
I doubt could make much money out of the temporary stands.

What round do ye start in & what is the likely opposition? 2,700 probbaly enough for small european sides?

Rovers Maniac
20/05/2009, 11:20 AM
Stupid really.

It would cost us 12k to put in either 3 or 400 seats so that would mean that you would lose money by putting in the extra seats as you would could not charge 30 or 40 euro a seat. So it is probably the correct decision as you would just be reducing your overall profit from the game, which would be stupid.

dong
20/05/2009, 11:28 AM
Stupid really.
It would be stupid if it was in a city the size of Cork and we could guarantee that they would be filled but they most likely wouldn't be.
Can you imagine the ridicule if they were put in and then left empty for the game?

corkboy360
20/05/2009, 11:34 AM
It would be stupid if it was in a city the size of Cork and we could guarantee that they would be filled but they most likely wouldn't be.
Can you imagine the ridicule if they were put in and then left empty for the game?
Ya true.
What attendance do ye average at a league game?

Rovers1
20/05/2009, 11:36 AM
about 1,6/700 Depends who were playing i suppose.

dong
20/05/2009, 11:37 AM
I'd guess 1,000 - 1,200 on average but I'll let somebody else take this one! Not sure if there's ever an official attendance taken.

corkboy360
20/05/2009, 11:47 AM
Okay 2,700 should be okay so.
I thought ye had better attendances.

Rovers Maniac
20/05/2009, 11:53 AM
I'd guess 1,000 - 1,200 on average but I'll let somebody else take this one! Not sure if there's ever an official attendance taken.

Good bit higher than that Dong jeez don't you take your eyes of the players legs during the game ! :p

ah come on lads of course we will sell it out sure we would have had more at the Bray game last season and that was just to qualify for Europe. Some of that will have to go to away fans 5 or 10% i would imagine then, you will have a number of ticket going to sponsors, officials,special guests, dignitries etc meaning that 2,200 or 2,300 could just be on sale to fans. There will be a lot of interest in the match as we have not played in Europe proper Since 94 really as the Intertoto thing was not a great competition to be fair. Have a bit of confidence in yourselfs.:)

CarrickFan
20/05/2009, 11:57 AM
if the main stand holds 1,800 i would think the average gate is a lot more than 1,000/1,200...Main stand is usually fairly full plus a couple of hundred in the Jinks especially if its Shams,Bohs,Derry etc plus a few like myself behind the Goals...2,700 will be more than enough for a Europa league qualifier i'd say...i wish it wasnt!!

sligoman
20/05/2009, 12:02 PM
I'd be very surprised if the Showgrounds sold out for this, 2,700 is grand. Doubt there will be many away fans unless we get a Northern or Welsh team.

Sean South
20/05/2009, 12:04 PM
As long as they loyal supporters who go to all the normal games get priority I couldn't give a fcuk about the event junkies not getting a ticket. Its not as if we have 2700 at our league games

sligoman
20/05/2009, 12:08 PM
As long as they loyal supporters who go to all the normal games get priority I couldn't give a fcuk about the event junkies not getting a ticket. Its not as if we have 2700 at our league gamesAgree with that. In fact, a good idea imo would be that tickets(or even a voucher saying you bought one until the date of home leg decided) go on sale soon, before the draw is made even, and that they're sold at the home league games. That way the genuine Rovers fans will have got theirs before any sunshiners hop on the bandwagon.

As I said previously, I don't think there'll be a problem getting tickets but just in case.

neutrino
20/05/2009, 12:12 PM
I think this game will be sold out. There'll be an awful lot of people going who wouldnt normally. It would be pretty bad if it wasnt sold out given european games in the Showgrounds dont come around too often. Should def be a preference for season-ticket holders and regular goes.

Rovers Maniac
20/05/2009, 12:20 PM
No no but would people not think this is much bigger than a league game? Not an average game at all so i don't think any point looking at averages crowds sure we must have had close to 2,2 or 2,3 at the the Bohs game?
When we played Floriana in 94 we would hae had that crowd. Its not like the people of the north west get to watch live European football every season and i would have thought this would have caught the imagination of the general public esp the coverage it has received in the local press and on here. I am not saying we would have got 5k at any game but i would have thought 2,700 is a little on the small size. I think there will be at least 2,700 at the game, but i could not tell you if it sells out though :). No way if we draw Linfield that we won't have that number at the game imo.

Maybe i am reading it wrong

Rovers1
20/05/2009, 12:23 PM
i agree with the Maniac, i think the Euro game will sell out, there are a hell of a lot of event junkies about the north-west. Plus all the 'how did the Rovers do?' people will be out too.

Guts&Glory
20/05/2009, 12:34 PM
Good bit higher than that Dong jeez don't you take your eyes of the players legs during the game ! :p

ah come on lads of course we will sell it out sure we would have had more at the Bray game last season and that was just to qualify for Europe. Some of that will have to go to away fans 5 or 10% i would imagine then, you will have a number of ticket going to sponsors, officials,special guests, dignitries etc meaning that 2,200 or 2,300 could just be on sale to fans. There will be a lot of interest in the match as we have not played in Europe proper Since 94 really as the Intertoto thing was not a great competition to be fair. Have a bit of confidence in yourselfs.:)

Do you not remember the attendance and the 3 all draw against Nantes - a team only beaten in the Semis of the European Cup by Juventus only a couple of months earlier ?

Sure these early rounds of the Europa Cup are really only a replacement of that (Intertoto) competition.

Guts&Glory
20/05/2009, 12:36 PM
Okay 2,700 should be okay so.
I thought ye had better attendances.

Don't worry Corkboy the sunshiners, politicians and supposed lifelong reds will be out in force for this one!!!!

Rovers Maniac
20/05/2009, 12:54 PM
Do you not remember the attendance and the 3 all draw against Nantes - a team only beaten in the Semis of the European Cup by Juventus only a couple of months earlier ?

Sure these early rounds of the Europa Cup are really only a replacement of that (Intertoto) competition.

I do of course that game started with less than a thousand at it i say but about 5 times that have claimed to be at it at this stage :)

Ya but to be fair Guts as is said earlier that was a real mickey mouse of a competition and Nantes came over with a shell of a team. I don't think anybody looked upon it as the same thing as the UEFA cup, Cup winners cup etc. and it had a shed load of critics with most of the teams accused of not taking it seriously at the time as it was out of season for us and many of the teams which is not the case this time. It did not feel the same as when we played Floriana who would be a much smaller club than Nantes or had even near the same buil up.

To me this this a proper European football competition where results count towards the national league co-efficients (although talk about co-efficients won't bring in the crowds). As i said maybe i am reading it wrong but i think we will sell 2,700 tickets no problem, its a big European football competition we are in and to be fair the UEFA/Europa League Final is one of the highlights of one of the European football calendar, the intertwobob never even had a single final. I suppose time will tell.

LondonRover
20/05/2009, 1:10 PM
I'd hope that we'd get 2,700 into the Showgrounds for a European game irrespective of the opposition? If not it'd be a poor show.
The question is do out of towners like myself who only get home to a few games a year (and away games at that more often than not) count as 'loyal supporters' or 'event junkies'? ;):D:eek:

dublinred
20/05/2009, 1:19 PM
Should be easy enough to sort out the tickets , members , season ticket holders, supporters clubs ,sell a few at the home games beforehand and then maybe do a mini season package for the remaining 10 home league games say 130 for the first Europa cup game and the remaining games and then give rights to purchses first for subsequent European games and finally as a last resort do one off sales to the sunshiners.

roversman
20/05/2009, 1:42 PM
should be plenty as we dont get 2700 for a league game
only when the sunshiners come out just hope they
dont get tickets first and the club look after the loyal supporter

CarrickFan
20/05/2009, 1:54 PM
would assume as season ticketholders we would get first shout on tickets?..first come first served after that.

1st time post
20/05/2009, 2:12 PM

Ya id have to agree with that, I think for the 1st game we play that 2700 should be ok but if we were to get through the 1st round is when youll see the barstoolers and bandwagon jumpers for the 2nd round against what could be a decent team.
That Nantes game easily my favourite game in the showgrounds,Lee Thew if ye remember him with an equaliser with a couple of minutes to go......what a feeling:):)

redobit
20/05/2009, 2:14 PM
Should be easy enough to sort out the tickets , members , season ticket holders, supporters clubs ,sell a few at the home games beforehand and then maybe do a mini season package for the remaining 10 home league games say 130 for the first Europa cup game and the remaining games and then give rights to purchses first for subsequent European games and finally as a last resort do one off sales to the sunshiners.

Between the draw (June 22) and the first leg of the Europa, Rovers have no home game. So it makes it difficult to print a ticket as you will not know your opposition or whether the game is even home or away.

Unless they sell an 'advance ticket' (a bit like the seson tickets) at the home games from now on, and when official tickets are printed you can exchange for the real thing. That way almost everybody that does want to go will get a ticket. I think we will get 2700 no probs.

roversman
20/05/2009, 2:15 PM
would assume as season ticketholders we would get first shout on tickets?..first come first served after that.

i agree season ticket holders have to be looked after first

HarpoJoyce
20/05/2009, 2:17 PM
Congratulations on getting your home ground past for UEFA competition.
Good luck with it.

CarrickFan
20/05/2009, 2:40 PM
[[QUOTE][/QUI'd hope that we'd get 2,700 into the Showgrounds for a European game irrespective of the opposition? If not it'd be a poor show.
The question is do out of towners like myself who only get home to a few games a year (and away games at that more often than not) count as 'loyal supporters' or 'event junkies'? ;):D:eek:OTE]

in response to London Rover i dont think anyone means supporters like yourselves..i think when people post about 'barstoolers' or 'event junkies' i would say they mean people who live local,most in walking distance of the Showgrounds but for whatever reason dont come unless its a big game or friendly against an English team or whatever..i know here in Carrick people went down to the Liverpool legends game(to support Liverpool!!) and wouldnt go to a league game!!..thats crazy to me but there you go!!..altho we should welcome anyone who comes through the gates as it all helps....dont think anyone could have a go at a London based fan who still makes a few games..fair play to ya!

celticV3
20/05/2009, 3:09 PM
Don't worry Corkboy the sunshiners, politicians and supposed lifelong reds will be out in force for this one!!!!

Your joking aren't ya?:eek: Elections are over on the 5th of June there won't be a sight of them, unless seamie o boyle gets in:D

The Midget Gem
20/05/2009, 3:35 PM
We'd sell this twice over.
Can't believe people are even questioning if we'd get 2,700 at it. Remember we had the showgrounds sold out for an FAI cup semi final three years ago, and those games come about more often than Europe. (Although i know about 1,500 of the 5,500 were Derry fans, i know plenty of Sligo people who couldnt get tickets to that game.)
I think getting something like the temporary stand Pats have(which isn't temporary as its been there for ages) would have been a proper investment. Remember we do have Seanta Cup this year and pulling down massive away support from Linfield or Glentoran is a probability. In the long run the club couldn't have gone wrong installing seats as at the end of the day it would mean more people would have the chance to see European games, and maybe get hooked on the Rovers(repaying it in the long run). Okay the club probably would have lost 2-3 grand financially maybe on the installation of something like this, but there has been way worse investments made in recent years by the board/ managers.
In the long run having extra seating in the ground could not go astray.

Battery Rover
20/05/2009, 3:46 PM
Stupid really.

Temporary seats cost about €15 plus VAT each to install for a day so not worth the risk

pete
20/05/2009, 3:51 PM
While ye probably wouldn't want to turn away thousands of people it can be good publicity when attendance is limited as nothing sparks interest of casual fans as not being able to get a ticket.

Rory H
20/05/2009, 3:52 PM
Ya, lets spend a few grand on getting a couple of hundred fans in who won't come back again for another few years. 2700 will be enough for all our regular supporters and anyone extra will have the chance to get a ticket too if they try hard enough. That's all we can offer and all we should.

1st time post
20/05/2009, 4:52 PM
We'd sell this twice over.
Can't believe people are even questioning if we'd get 2,700 at it. Remember we had the showgrounds sold out for an FAI cup semi final three years ago, and those games come about more often than Europe. (Although i know about 1,500 of the 5,500 were Derry fans, i know plenty of Sligo people who couldnt get tickets to that game.)
I think getting something like the temporary stand Pats have(which isn't temporary as its been there for ages) would have been a proper investment. Remember we do have Seanta Cup this year and pulling down massive away support from Linfield or Glentoran is a probability. In the long run the club couldn't have gone wrong installing seats as at the end of the day it would mean more people would have the chance to see European games, and maybe get hooked on the Rovers(repaying it in the long run). Okay the club probably would have lost 2-3 grand financially maybe on the installation of something like this, but there has been way worse investments made in recent years by the board/ managers.
In the long run having extra seating in the ground could not go astray.

There were plenty of tickets available on the day of the cup semi-final??Cup semi-finals against local rivals who are probably the best supported team in the league dont come around too often aswell!!!
In fairness i think that a setanta cup match against either linfield or glentoran would definitely attract a bigger crowd than whoever we play in the 1st round of this cause i dont think the barstoolers will come out until the 2nd round when we may be actually playing a decent calibre team

benbulben
20/05/2009, 6:17 PM
Does anyone know how much the Euro games will cost? How much do the club need to make to cover thecost of the homwe and away fixtures.Travelling to Faroes/Belarus/Estonia is a lot of money .2700 max capacity will have to be full if we do not want to lose out on a lot of monay .

Martinho II
20/05/2009, 6:47 PM
When derry city played in Europe two years wasnt their capacity reduced? I think ye are going the right way about it. Dont for goodness sake do what we did eight years ago and redevelop the ground with new seats all over we got a poor crowd that night against Lovech and we are still payin the costs since then..:(

redobit
20/05/2009, 7:27 PM
When derry city played in Europe two years wasnt their capacity reduced? I think ye are going the right way about it. Dont for goodness sake do what we did eight years ago and redevelop the ground with new seats all over we got a poor crowd that night against Lovech and we are still payin the costs since then..:(

Now that sounds like good advice to me

srfc1928
20/05/2009, 8:59 PM
Between the draw (June 22) and the first leg of the Europa, Rovers have no home game. So it makes it difficult to print a ticket as you will not know your opposition or whether the game is even home or away.

Unless they sell an 'advance ticket' (a bit like the seson tickets) at the home games from now on, and when official tickets are printed you can exchange for the real thing. That way almost everybody that does want to go will get a ticket. I think we will get 2700 no probs.
Was just looking at the fixture list card there, (that yourself made ;))
After saturdays game against Galway we only have one (gaurenteed)home fixture before the 1st leg of the Europa Cup :eek:

I think the idea of a advanced ticket is a good idea, maybe sell them at the Derry game, where guys who go week in week out can purchase them. Event junkies etc wont be even thinking about buying tickets at that stage. I think anyone who really wants one at that stage will get one.
As for guys who live away from Sligo and are genuine, maybe friends or families could pick one up for them. im sure it would be at least two tickets per person, id have no problem picking one up for someone who couldnt make the game.

red arrow
20/05/2009, 9:25 PM
from what i am hearing advanced tickets will be on sale. so my advise to anybody is to snap them up!

Mayo Red
21/05/2009, 8:00 AM
I think it'll sell out quite easily and I hope no genuine supporters miss out due to the bandwagon jumpers!

redobit
21/05/2009, 8:30 AM
If I dont get a ticket - I will be hoping the wall like we did when we were kids.

Mayo Red
21/05/2009, 8:40 AM
If I dont get a ticket - I will be hoping the wall like we did when we were kids.

And some fancy UEFA official with a yellow bib will probably be right there waiting for you when you do!!;)

Rory H
21/05/2009, 8:45 AM
aka Sligoman

redobit
21/05/2009, 10:44 AM
And some fancy UEFA official with a yellow bib will probably be right there waiting for you when you do!!;)

I heard those UEFA boys cant run very fast, so I should be OK.

red_away
21/05/2009, 11:19 AM
Any body really interested in getting into this match will get a ticket!

Guts&Glory
21/05/2009, 12:47 PM

Being chased by Platini over to the Astro pitch then challenege him to best out of five to hit the crossbar from the halfway line........he has filled out since he retired!!!