PDA

View Full Version : Best LOI stadium

Pages : [1] 2

Umberside
04/05/2009, 2:08 PM
So what's the best LOI stadium?

Glenmalure Park would've been the best until 1987. Its successor in Tallaght is pretty good as well but I'm going to go for Turners Cross;)

Sheridan
04/05/2009, 2:10 PM
The hits just keep on coming!

Umberside
04/05/2009, 2:17 PM
The hits just keep on coming!

I was going to mention Dublin City's home ground, but then I realised ye never had one:rolleyes:

CSFShels
04/05/2009, 2:19 PM
I'd probably say Tolka or Turners Cross. As or the pitch itself, well Galway and Wexford Youths seem to be the big 2, although Tolka was nominated in there as the third one. Overall I'd say Tolka. A few years ago would have been another story.

Umberside
04/05/2009, 2:26 PM
I'd probably say Tolka or Turners Cross. As or the pitch itself, well Galway and Wexford Youths seem to be the big 2, although Tolka was nominated in there as the third one. Overall I'd say Tolka. A few years ago would have been another story.

Tolka is good alright. I'd imagine a little development and it would be a fine staidium i.e. if the Away End was covered or if the stand across from the TV gantry got a new roof.

It's like Turners Cross five years ago. We put a roof on the St. Anne's End and built a new Shed and it is quite a stadium now.

Still love going back to Tolka though, special stadium.:)

gael353
04/05/2009, 3:09 PM
LOI grounds all of them, are ****e. parts of their stadiums are good but most of them are ****e. We have the worst by far the worst in fact. Terryland would be the best as it has one good stand and one adaquate stand. Turner cross has four stands and id knock all four and move somewhere else if i could, pitch is also too small. Athlone have the best stand although i havent been to tallaght yet.

Blue Bear
04/05/2009, 3:38 PM
In terms of the pitch, it has to be Wexford, great surface, even the warm-up area is decent (Limerick fans may object:rolleyes:). Problem is its too open, atmosphere gets lost. Id go for Tolka, very good surface with a good atmosphere.......

gael353
04/05/2009, 3:39 PM
Why so?

The secret to a good stand is how steep it is. if you cant see over the persons head in front of you then its just a cheap **** stand. we'll start at the far side, the small stand. lets face it a few rows of seats with an umbrella over it and ppl going out the escape area at the back to make a **** up against the wall. Main stand....front ten rows arnt steep enough. Front ten rows get wet when it rains. Shed end....front rows arnt steep enough. Like the main stand a capacity rather then a viewing requirment was put in place prior to building. New stand, in GAA its called a covered terrace but you had seats in that terrace first so now the gaa would call it a covered stand and charge €20 for sitting in it but with little viewing comfort.

Im not slagging off cork city or anything but if limerick built anything like that id be gone from the game. The newest stand should have been bulldozed to ground level. A two tier stand could then have been built with propper facilites underneath like toilets shops and maybe even corporate facilities. But that would have cost money, and only rovers and athlone have had the ambition to go that extra mile.

gael353
04/05/2009, 3:51 PM
In terms of the pitch, it has to be Wexford, great surface, even the warm-up area is decent (Limerick fans may object:rolleyes:). Problem is its too open, atmosphere gets lost. Id go for Tolka, very good surface with a good atmosphere.......

lol tolka? a dump of the higest order. lets look at the ballyboch end???? an open seated terrrace where every seat is weather damaged, broken or covered in vomit from some dream team gig from five years ago. Ground is slippy from being exposed, one good stand there the rest are from bygone days. wexford is a fine facility, but its quality....clenliness and pitch quality has fallen back in the last year and a half.

irishultra
04/05/2009, 3:55 PM
Tolka but really most are terribly designed. I mean dalymount for example. the car park cutting into the stand what is up with that? The Jodi stand is very good, but man what is up with the motte and bailey like effect in the opposite stand?

Now this is a nice stadium, in a country way smaller than ours(famagustas ground)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3f/Antonis_Pap_Anorthosis.JPG

SkStu
04/05/2009, 3:56 PM
lets look at the ballyboch end???? an open seated terrrace where every seat is weather damaged, broken or covered in vomit from some dream team gig from five years ago..

while your lookin, if anyone finds the half oz. i lost there a few years ago, send me a PM.

thanks in advance

Sheridan
04/05/2009, 3:57 PM
The fact that it was constructed piecemeal over the course of a century might have something to do with its inconsistent design...

longfordjames
04/05/2009, 4:16 PM
Flancares good

OneForTheFuture
04/05/2009, 4:28 PM
Tallaght looks great inside and out....except it desperatly needs 3 more stands as the atmosphere is lacking as a result... and the pitch on friday gone was in a bad way.

Tolka Park is up there in the LOI.

Ferrycarrig is on the up.

gufc2000
04/05/2009, 4:51 PM
Terryland of course

pól-dcfc
04/05/2009, 5:54 PM
Terryland of course

I like Terryland. The Brandywell is right up there... :rolleyes:

Dundalkjames
04/05/2009, 5:55 PM
Tolka Park or Lisslywoolen ( now known as the Athlone Town Stadium ) :cool:

Paddyfield
04/05/2009, 7:22 PM
Turner's Cross is the best by far which always produces a good atmosphere.

Tolka set the standard in the 90's but hasn't been maintained since.

Longford is nice but very open. Most of the seats are not covered.

Dalymount's Jodi Stand is the best main stand in Ireland but the rest of the stadium is dated.

Showgrounds main stand is a fine structure but the other stand is poor.

Terryland has gone from a "cabbage patch"* in the early 90's to a top 3 contender in 2009.

* Eamonn Dunphy called Terryland a "cabbage patch" on RTE before the ground was redeveloped

The Midget Gem
04/05/2009, 9:16 PM
Best stand in Ireland is the new Tallaght one.
I like Longfords ground. Pity its in the middle of nowhere.

Sam_Heggy
04/05/2009, 9:51 PM
Finn Park :o

Umberside
04/05/2009, 9:59 PM

New Finn Park:)

Rovers1
04/05/2009, 9:59 PM
IMO Turners Cross is the finest, my favourite though is Tolka.

L.T.F.C.
05/05/2009, 12:41 AM
As regards stadia i think Flancare deserves a mention. I would say that tho wouldn't i!:D But in fairness, the pitch is half decent and the its even all the way around which adds to it.
Like Dalymount would be savage if there wasnt a carpark a terrace, and a half a stand not used.
Tolka - Good i think but OMG. The stairs in on the Shed side is a complete deathtrap. not one of them the same as the one before. get killed on them. could get closed for a while if build reg got a look.
Athlone is okay. too much bars and walkways but nice.
Brandywell. I think the track makes a balls of the lot. didn't like the place.
Terryland is nice and shiny!!

L.T.F.C.
05/05/2009, 12:45 AM
The secret to a good stand is how steep it is.
Flancare is as steep as.
Athlone had the ambition because they got the council to build it for them.

mediahack
05/05/2009, 7:45 AM
Now that the new stand is built at Waterford I think it has improved dramatically. The pitch there has also been improved given the recent internationals there so it is getting there!

They also have the biggest dressing rooms in the league - could comfortably hold two american football squads!!! :D:D:D

Neish
05/05/2009, 9:30 AM

Damn right Sam what not to like. Honestly of the stadiums I've been to its between Terryland and Tolka but their gonna lose out in a couple of years to the the new Finn Park

Red&White Rover
05/05/2009, 9:35 AM
Terryland for me. Best pitch, two fairly decent stands. If they could get something proper behind the goals it'd be far and away the best.

Flancare is good also, but in the open parts atmosphere does get a bit lost.

Tolka, IMO is a crumbling state. One decent half stand, and the rest feels like it could fall over any minute. God knows what sort of creature you could be sitting in the open parts.

Finn Park or Century Homes Park are the two worst IMO...

blackholesun
05/05/2009, 11:54 AM
Flancare is a dump, looks good in an ariel photo, but arent large sections of the ground are closed off as they are unsafe?

The best ground in the league will be Tallaght by a mile when the second stand goes in this summer.

Currently its probably Turners Cross, thought I havent been in the new stand in Terryland yet.

bhs

atfconline
05/05/2009, 11:58 AM
Athlone is okay. too much bars and walkways but nice.

What are you on about? They are called safety railings. If you want a stand that is full of obstructions, look no further than the main stand in Sligo.

Athlone had the ambition because they got the council to build it for them.

The Council built nothing for us.

Rovers1
05/05/2009, 12:02 PM
They are called safety railings. If you want a stand that is full of obstructions, look no further than the main stand in Sligo.

We use those red things to sit on ;) They're called seats.

sligoman
05/05/2009, 12:05 PM
only rovers and athlone have had the ambition to go that extra mile.Yes, fair play to the SDCC.

fergalr
05/05/2009, 12:23 PM
Can't believe anyone would have a good word to say about Tolka. Its a dump and hasn't had a cent spent on it on a decade.

Rovers1
05/05/2009, 12:34 PM
Can't believe anyone would have a good word to say about Tolka. Its a dump and hasn't had a cent spent on it on a decade.

Its a kip, but, i like it because its a kip. For the same reason i like Finn Park. Old fashioned stadiums are the best ones!;)

pete
05/05/2009, 1:25 PM
I don't understand why anyone rates Tolka! One of the joys of the Tallaght stadium is nit having to go to Tolka with its broken seats, dark stands & general lack of maintenance. It could be a handy stadium but mainly let down by crampted nature & complete lack of any maintenance.

Tallaght is clearly the best stand but needs at least a second stand to become a stadium.

I also don't understand the criticism of Turners Cross. The ground has been developed at moderate cost & is a good size for the LOI. It doesn't have the best stands but surely it is better to build what you can afford rather than keep waiting for the big grants to get approval. BTW the new St Annes End stand is a little disappointing as the finish is cheap & clearly corners were cut.

Dodge
05/05/2009, 1:42 PM
I also don't understand the criticism of Turners Cross. The ground has been developed at moderate cost & is a good size for the LOI. It doesn't have the best stands but surely it is better to build what you can afford rather than keep waiting for the big grants to get approval

Agreed. Cork are by far the best financial model for any club. One followed by Rovers. "Let someone else build it"

L.T.F.C.
05/05/2009, 2:31 PM
Flancare is a dump, looks good in an ariel photo, but arent large sections of the ground are closed off as they are unsafe?

a section of the uncovered stand is closed because it wasn't allowed for our third UEFA license.

L.T.F.C.
05/05/2009, 2:34 PM
What are you on about? They are called safety railings. If you want a stand that is full of obstructions, look no further than the main stand in Sligo.
most other stands in the world can get by without them?

The Council built nothing for us.
Really? Maybe not the Council but ATFC didn't pay for it!

Paddyfield
05/05/2009, 2:39 PM
My first trip to Richmond Park was a major let down after the hype created my then manager Pat Dolan who dubbed it the Stadium Of Light... home of the Supersaints.

There is nothing wrong with the place but I was a little disappointed.

Black and White
05/05/2009, 2:44 PM
My first trip to Richmond Park was a major let down after the hype created my then manager Pat Dolan who dubbed it the Stadium Of Light... home of the Supersaints.

There is nothing wrong with the place but I was a little disappointed.

It would be alot better if it where all seated! If your heading to Oriel on Friday, you'll be further disappointed!:p

atfconline
05/05/2009, 2:47 PM
most other stands in the world can get by without them?

Right so, we'll get them removed and leave ledges with a 20 foot drop so will we? :rolleyes:

Really? Maybe not the Council but ATFC didn't pay for it!

Well the absolute cheek of us for fundraising and getting grants.

Christ.

Dodge
05/05/2009, 2:54 PM
Fecking typical athlone if you ask me. Working their balls off for a great little stadium.

Swines

L.T.F.C.
05/05/2009, 2:59 PM
Right so, we'll get them removed and leave ledges with a 20 foot drop so will we? :rolleyes:
What are you talking about? This is a thread on the Best LOI stadiums! I made a comment that there was needless railings in the middle of the stand, blocking the view! Whats the problem?

Well the absolute cheek of us for fundraising and getting grants.

Christ.
Hahoo! we both know i wasn't commenting on that. We all have to fundraise and get grants, no club is financially sound are they!

pete
05/05/2009, 3:06 PM
Agreed. Cork are by far the best financial model for any club. One followed by Rovers. "Let someone else build it"

You could also include Terryland & maybe even Derry City. Those two would probably add up to make the top 4 grounds in the LOI?

atfconline
05/05/2009, 3:07 PM
Seriously lad, do you know what you are talking about at all? There are safety railings around the tunnel and entry stairwells, so people don't fall over the walls and kill themselves. The only other option would have been to build concrete up to the height of the railings, which would block the view.

And so if the Council didn't build it, and you have no problem with fundraising or grants, what the hell are you on about?

Dodge
05/05/2009, 3:23 PM
You could also include Terryland & maybe even Derry City. Those two would probably add up to make the top 4 grounds in the LOI?

Not sure about the Brandywell but Terryland is definitely in top 3. Terrific looking stand

pineapple stu
06/05/2009, 9:06 AM
What are you talking about? This is a thread on the Best LOI stadiums! I made a comment that there was needless railings in the middle of the stand, blocking the view! Whats the problem?
Having been to Lissywoolen for the first time last night, I'd like to join in with atfconline in asking what the hell you are on about. The railings block the view from about 1% of the seats. The view from the rest is perfect. Very impressive stand; particularly the clubhouse bit built into the underside.

howsyourtouch
06/05/2009, 1:16 PM
yeah the new stand in athlone is very good,quality stand,not like the one in flancare with the big huge steel girders(spelling) blocking your view,and what makes it worse is the chairman was an architech and built that thing...even doh the dressing rooms in athlone aren the biggest...like they are too small...

Partizan
06/05/2009, 1:20 PM
Now that the new stand is built at Waterford I think it has improved dramatically. The pitch there has also been improved given the recent internationals there so it is getting there!

They also have the biggest dressing rooms in the league - could comfortably hold two american football squads!!! :D:D:D

The RSC now has 3100 covered seating capacity. There are future plans to extend the old stand and bring the ground up to 5000 capacity.

harry crumb
06/05/2009, 1:49 PM
Havent been to Tallaght yet.

The outside set up looks very nice.

Turners Cross is probably the best of a bad lot.

Black and White
06/05/2009, 2:10 PM
The RSC now has 3100 covered seating capacity. There are future plans to extend the old stand and bring the ground up to 5000 capacity.

Bit pointless seen as though ye are barely able to get 500 at a game!