PDA

View Full Version : Most promising players in LOI?

Pages : [1] 2

irishultra
22/04/2009, 7:17 PM
Who are they, preferably within the ages of 17-23 but even possible 'late bloomers' like Keith Fahey?

I was thinking of James McLean at Derry, but not sure if he's actually that good but I read he could be a replacement for Niall McGinn.

Emeka Onwubiko seems to be doing well for Athlone, he's young so has time to develop.

Sorry if this has been brought up before, I'm just interested in knowing.

L.T.F.C.
22/04/2009, 7:21 PM
iarflaith davoren?

DeNiro
22/04/2009, 7:25 PM
Gary Deegan looks to me as someone who could be in England soon enough. He had a trial during the summer for Kilmarnock, suprising he wasn't considered good enough for that level.

WexCar
22/04/2009, 7:28 PM
iarflaith davoren?

love to hear how the english would pronounce his name:D:D

hoop4life
22/04/2009, 7:30 PM
david mcdaid is at finn harps on loan from derry. looked like a good prospect in celtic park last week. scored a good header
also, paddy madden at shels on loan from bohs has scored a few this season. suppose to be a good young prospect. they are both 19 i think

jebus
22/04/2009, 7:31 PM
Jason Hughes and Wayne Colbert at Limerick are genuinely quality

The Lilywhites
22/04/2009, 7:31 PM
Michael Daly at Dundalk

pól-dcfc
22/04/2009, 7:58 PM
McClean has looked extremely promising every time I've seen him. Quite tall and wiry, but very good on the ball with bags of pace. I'd say we'll start seeing a lot more of him towards the end of this season.

Mr A
22/04/2009, 8:03 PM
david mcdaid is at finn harps on loan from derry. looked like a good prospect in celtic park last week. scored a good header
also, paddy madden at shels on loan from bohs has scored a few this season. suppose to be a good young prospect. they are both 19 i think

McDaid is pish.

Red&White Rover
22/04/2009, 8:11 PM
Did ok for us last year.

Bit lightweight though.

GalwayRed
22/04/2009, 8:23 PM
paddy madden at shels on loan from bohs has scored a few this season. suppose to be a good young prospect.
Maddens been great with us so far. Hes 18 i think and he has loads of potential. Just a shame hes only with us on loan.

Dyl10
22/04/2009, 9:22 PM
Has to be Jay O'Shea for me...

Dunny
22/04/2009, 9:23 PM
Tiarnan Mulvenna.

Rovers1
22/04/2009, 9:24 PM
Sean Kerr

monutdfc
22/04/2009, 9:26 PM
Mulvenna is one that stands out for me

Sam_Heggy
22/04/2009, 9:43 PM
Ciaran Gallagher (goal keeper) and Ciaran Coll (left back) at Harps. Both only 17 and really good prospects.
Sean Houstan in centre mid is only 19 and will be really top notch, was outstanding against Athlone at the weekend.

McLean at Derry looked good anytime I seen him, I would say he would be a better choice for full back though.

There is a couple of young guys in the Drogs A league side who look to have real quality about them. Gaynor up front and McEntaggert in midfield. It will be interesting to see how they get on in the first team in the future.

centre mid
22/04/2009, 9:45 PM
Couple of players at Bray are looking like real prospects, Chris Shields (bit rough round the edge), Dane Massey has been outstanding so far this season only 21, Gary McCabe 20 has started to put a bit of form together, Jake Kelly 19 & Gareth Coughlan 19 could be very good, Colm Tresson will become a league of Ireland legend, mark my words.......

superfrank
22/04/2009, 10:01 PM
Agree with you on Kelly and Coughlan, both look very good. Tbh, I was surprised at the start of the year that Kelly was starting ahead of Coughlan but he's played really well. McCabe seems to have recovered from his poor year last year.

I'd also throw in Derek Foran. I think he's shown a lot so far and he's still got plenty of time to grow. He's only 19.

Onwubiko was at Bray for the last two years. He got a lot of stick for not playing well enough, which was a bit harsh as he was, and still is, pretty young. He showed he has a bit of ability when he was here and I think with him getting a decent run in the side (as he is getting at Athlone) then he'll be able to develop a lot more.

Jay O'Shea has really shone at Galway. He wasn't nearly as impressive when he was with us. He showed a few flashes but he wasn't consistent at all. He's stepped up a lot since going to Galway (when I've seen him).

WoodquayBoy
22/04/2009, 10:06 PM
Heard a lot of positives about Massey from a friend who goes to the Carlisle.
As a United fan, I think O'Shea has been pants for us this season, for me our 2 fullbacks, Seamus Conneely and Iarflaith Davoren - while far from finished, polished articles - are very promising players, but hand on heart, can't see them travelling to England.
Haven't seen half the teams this season, so might have missed a few gems, but for me it is hard to see where the next Keith Fahey or Seamus Coleman is coming from.Pity Dessie Baker is so 'old' as he destroyed us at weekend

irishultra
22/04/2009, 10:09 PM
Whats Connor Sinnott doing? I heard he was a possible replacement for Fahey at Pat's but nothing came of it.

Red&White Rover
22/04/2009, 10:11 PM
Sean Kerr

Good shout.

pól-dcfc
22/04/2009, 10:23 PM
McLean at Derry looked good anytime I seen him, I would say he would be a better choice for full back though.

Really? I've never seen him play fullback - anytime I've seen him he's been very very attacking. Anyone know if he is any good defensively?

passinginterest
22/04/2009, 10:57 PM
Whats Connor Sinnott doing? I heard he was a possible replacement for Fahey at Pat's but nothing came of it.

Youths captain this year, I think he could have done a job for Pat's too.

Watch out for Jimmy Keohane, just turned 18, Ireland schools international, Wallace adores him.

Predator
22/04/2009, 11:03 PM
Ruairí Harkin - a 19 year old midfielder contracted to Derry, loaned out to Finn Harps. He was over at Charlton there but was released and has had a handful of u-19 ROI caps. I went to school with him (and Darron Gibson in fact - not to drop any names :cool:) and he was a very strong, skilful player. I hope he gets his chance to make a name for himself in the League of Ireland.

L.T.F.C.
22/04/2009, 11:10 PM
Gary Deegan looks to me as someone who could be in England soon enough. He had a trial during the summer for Kilmarnock, suprising he wasn't considered good enough for that level.
some player. was an animal for longford.

Magicme
22/04/2009, 11:20 PM
Aaron McCarey - Goalkeeper. Made his senior debut against Sporting Fingal on Easter Monday in the EA Sports Cup. Played for Rep of Ireland Under 17's last night (let 3 goals in but from what I can hear at least 2 of them he wasnt responsible for) and due to play for ROI U18s against England on Friday in Waterford.

Has been on trials to many clubs and is still being monitored by them and due to go to Southampton shortly for them to have a look at him again.

atfconline
22/04/2009, 11:29 PM
Aaron McCarey - Goalkeeper. Made his senior debut against Sporting Fingal on Easter Monday in the EA Sports Cup. Played for Rep of Ireland Under 17's last night (let 3 goals in but from what I can hear at least 2 of them he wasnt responsible for) and due to play for ROI U18s against England on Friday in Waterford.

A game which is live on Sky Sports, and which isn't a joke as I thought when our PA called it out last Saturday night!

peadar1987
22/04/2009, 11:30 PM
Agree with you on Kelly and Coughlan, both look very good. Tbh, I was surprised at the start of the year that Kelly was starting ahead of Coughlan but he's played really well. McCabe seems to have recovered from his poor year last year.

I'd also throw in Derek Foran. I think he's shown a lot so far and he's still got plenty of time to grow. He's only 19.

Onwubiko was at Bray for the last two years. He got a lot of stick for not playing well enough, which was a bit harsh as he was, and still is, pretty young. He showed he has a bit of ability when he was here and I think with him getting a decent run in the side (as he is getting at Athlone) then he'll be able to develop a lot more.

Jay O'Shea has really shone at Galway. He wasn't nearly as impressive when he was with us. He showed a few flashes but he wasn't consistent at all. He's stepped up a lot since going to Galway (when I've seen him).

Kelly's been impressive, and I'm a big fan of Gary McCabe. Coughlan has bags of ability, but he tends to run himself into trouble, and has to work on his end product, bit of a McGeady.

I really rate Foran at the centre of defence, great header of the ball and good positional sense.

Controversially I've thought Dave Webster's been pretty good in the games he's played for us, an underrated player. Massey will be very good when he adds some composure on the ball to his defensive skills.

Paddy Kavanagh is still young enough to get a mention isn't he? One of the best players I've seen at the Carlisle. John Mulroy also deserves an honourable mention.

If only Bray had the money to hold onto the players we turn out we'd have no need to worry about relegation

Magicme
22/04/2009, 11:35 PM
A game which is live on Sky Sports, and which isn't a joke as I thought when our PA called it out last Saturday night!

Yeah I know, hope he gets played. Have it set to record.

Sam_Heggy
23/04/2009, 8:19 AM
Ruairí Harkin - a 19 year old midfielder contracted to Derry, loaned out to Finn Harps. He was over at Charlton there but was released and has had a handful of u-19 ROI caps. I went to school with him (and Darron Gibson in fact - not to drop any names :cool:) and he was a very strong, skilful player. I hope he gets his chance to make a name for himself in the League of Ireland.

Ruari is a very good ball player but hasn't been performing for us as of yet. When he came on against Athlone he looked much hungrier and changed the game.
He reminds me alot of Neil McCafferty.

Mayo Red
23/04/2009, 8:33 AM
He reminds me alot of Neil McCafferty.

Was he with Nadine Coyle aswell then???:D

pineapple stu
23/04/2009, 8:52 AM
Ronan Finn.

Thread closed.

L.T.F.C.
23/04/2009, 9:03 AM
Ronan Finn.

Thread closed.
a cousin of mine!:)

DeNiro
23/04/2009, 9:13 AM
Ronan Finn.

Thread closed.

An exceptional talent. Wonder if he will move in the July window?

Ash
23/04/2009, 9:24 AM
Robbie Benson. That is all.

GuisaSaigon
23/04/2009, 9:36 AM
Iarfhlaith Davoren, Shane Guthrie and Seamus Conneely might have what it takes to play at a higher level. Jay O Shea seems to think he's already there and doesn't want to pick up an injury.

JC_GUFC
23/04/2009, 9:38 AM
I have to say I've been very impressed by the young lads at Bray this season. I honestly thought they'd finish well off the rest this season but they've been very competitive. I was most impressed by Jake Kelly and Gary McCabe against us - and obviously Paddy Kavanagh is one of the best players in the league.

The next player to "make it" in England will be Jay O'Shea. Whatever other United fans say about his performances this season he is still a class above any player I've ever seen play for us. There are about half a dozen clubs looking at him and he'll be gone in the summer - I personally don't think he'd have any trouble playing in the Championship and could be in the Premier League in a few years - like Fahey and Doyle etc.

Dodge
23/04/2009, 9:50 AM
I was hugely impressed with O'Shea against Pats in the first game of the season.

Youths4Ever
23/04/2009, 10:57 AM
Watch out for Jimmy Keohane, just turned 18, Ireland schools international, Wallace adores him.

can see him moving to England. Also Pa Doyle in the goal is definitely one for the future

L.T.F.C.
23/04/2009, 12:03 PM
some of the young fellows from UCD? kilduff or macmahon?

pineapple stu
23/04/2009, 12:14 PM
Finn was already mentioned. Killer's doing well, but he had some pedigree. Dave McMillan's come in this year and done really well (three goals so far) alongside Killer. Couple of others too; Mulhall, Creevy, Harding.

SunderlandBohs
23/04/2009, 12:45 PM
I don't know if this counts but Carey, the lad we've got on loan from Celtic looks a decent young player.

DmanDmythDledge
23/04/2009, 12:47 PM
some of the young fellows from UCD? kilduff or macmahon?
No. Finn and Gareth Matthews only players who could develop into some of the best in their position in the LOI (Finn's already there imo).

Martinho II
23/04/2009, 12:48 PM

saw emeka onwubiko play against us for athlone he destroyed us in the league cup and is too good for the 1 st division

pineapple stu
23/04/2009, 1:10 PM
No. Finn and Gareth Matthews only players who could develop into some of the best in their position in the LOI (Finn's already there imo).
Matthews?! Very random one to pick.

GuisaSaigon
23/04/2009, 1:39 PM
saw emeka onwubiko play against us for athlone he destroyed us in the league cup and is too good for the 1 st division

Is that the lad that was at Bray for the last couple of seasons?

Youths4Ever
23/04/2009, 1:44 PM
meant to add Gareth McCurtin very promising right back he marked Finn out of the game against UCD last week was very impressive in League Cup and has been good for underage teams as well

Ash
23/04/2009, 1:56 PM
Is that the lad that was at Bray for the last couple of seasons?

Yep, thats him

Battery Rover
23/04/2009, 2:30 PM

With two of the best goals seen in Athlone Town Stadium

http://www.youtube.com/athlonetowntv?gl=IE&hl=en-GB

Longfordian
23/04/2009, 3:15 PM
First time I've see those goals. His first was class but Gough was at fault for his second I reckon particularly after being chipped once already. On a related note, our defence was all over the place by the looks of things.