PDA

View Full Version : More Irish Flags for Saturday??

LFCSixty/Eighty
24/03/2009, 5:22 PM
Not sure if anyone noticed in the last game versus Georgia that a huge quantity of 'advertising' space in the middle tier of Croke Park had not been taken up and all that was left in it place was blank aluminum sheets.

To me this was an opportunity missed. So the following week I sent off an email to the FAI asking that maybe in future if these advertising spaces were not going to be used then maybe in their place we could put Irish flags, akin to the glory days of Genoa in 1990 and Giants stadium in 1994 to name a few.

These are all days that stand out in our memories for obvious reasons but also by the fact that Irish flags adorned these stadiums and not only added colour and magic to these occasions but I'm sure in a small way contibuted to inspiring the players.

My response from the FAI was to the effect that budgetery concerns prevented them from doing anything and it was up to the fans to bring their own. I was hoping this would not be the case but I can understand it being that way (though personally I'd prefer 100 irish flags around the stadium than Traps hands or A4 sheets that are held aloft for 5 mins before the game and then discarded)

For some reason we have no problem in making away stadiums full of colour but I'm just wondering why we are reluctant to do this for home matches. I would love if we could make this some kind of flag day, like some English clubs do. I was only thinking that even the slightest thing to spur the lads on to victory on Sat would be worth it. Hopefully on Saturday those same lads who will travel in such numbers on Wed will also bring those same flags and banners to Croker and make this a night to remember.

The Fly
24/03/2009, 5:28 PM
One point I would like to make on Irish flags being flown at either Croker/Lansdowne or at away games - I wish the FAI would make a rule that flags are not allowed to be defaced.
It really ****es me off seeing the tricolour, with writing on it, being flown at matches. :mad:

irishultra
24/03/2009, 5:52 PM
One point I would like to make on Irish flags being flown at either Croker/Lansdowne or at away games - I wish the FAI would make a rule that flags are not allowed to be defaced.
It really ****es me off seeing the tricolour, with writing on it, being flown at matches. :mad:

especially with club teams be they bohs, celtic, barcelona or colo colo(seen them in libertadores,name may be wong)

centre mid
24/03/2009, 5:55 PM
is it not against the constitution or something to write anything on the tri-colour. I seem to remember that Guinness got into trouble before the Korea/Japan world cup for giving out free flags with Guinness on it (the word not spilt drink).

jebus
24/03/2009, 7:00 PM
Think you're right about that centre mid, either way a bit of common decency should tell you not to write crap on your national flag

The Fly
24/03/2009, 7:09 PM
Think you're right about that centre mid, either way a bit of common decency should tell you not to write crap on your national flag

I agree, I just don't know what possesses someone to write anything on our national flag. Unfortunately, it does seem to be rather endemic at matches or maybe that's just me. I wish we could start some sort of petition, which could be presented to whomever it may concern (the FAI), to try and end this practice.

Anyone else feel the same?

irishultra
24/03/2009, 7:17 PM
umm not sure, free country and all that, but feckin hell what possesses a person to write 'chelsea fc' on an ireland flag?

aidz1
24/03/2009, 7:21 PM
football teams on the flag never really bothered me...
but pub names do

irishultra
24/03/2009, 7:31 PM
ah now, perhaps SRFC or Cork City but chelsea?

anywya this looks class

http://www.ybig.ie/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5875&PN=12

scroll down...epic

Bottle of Tonic
24/03/2009, 7:46 PM
Was there not a ridiculous big argument over this 'chelsea on the tricolour' issue before??? As far as a I know it caused a good foot.ie poster and long standing London-Irish ROI fan to stop using this site.

To keep on topic, personally I love grounds full of flags and colour and would support this initiative, and don't see any big deal with writing/images on the flag. Christ, what's so offensive about seeing someone elses team, town or supporters club on the tricolour???

irishultra
24/03/2009, 8:00 PM
i don't have any real deep attachment to the flag of ireland or anything but i don't know just think it looks a bit stupid.

The Fly
24/03/2009, 8:04 PM
Was there not a ridiculous big argument over this 'chelsea on the tricolour' issue before??? As far as a I know it caused a good foot.ie poster and long standing London-Irish ROI fan to stop using this site.

To keep on topic, personally I love grounds full of flags and colour and would support this initiative, and don't see any big deal with writing/images on the flag. Christ, what's so offensive about seeing someone elses team, town or supporters club on the tricolour???

I wouldn't say that I find it offensive, it's more along the lines of a pet peeve with me. I find the defacing of the flag to be disrespectful more than anything.

Newryrep
24/03/2009, 8:12 PM
I agree, I just don't know what possesses someone to write anything on our national flag. Unfortunately, it does seem to be rather endemic at matches or maybe that's just me. I wish we could start some sort of petition, which could be presented to whomever it may concern (the FAI), to try and end this practice.

Anyone else feel the same?

Down with that sort of thing ?;) try www.flaggarda.com

No......... unfortunately it is not endemic because of various reasons which is why there were more Polish flags than Irish flags the last time we played them at Croke Park

zenokelly
24/03/2009, 10:07 PM
I find it ludicrous that you could consider it disresectful to put the name of a supporters club, local team etc., on the flag. 99% of large Irish flags that are at away matches have writing or an image on them of some form.

I wouldn't say that I find it offensive, it's more along the lines of a pet peeve with me. I find the defacing of the flag to be disrespectful more than anything.

And personally I have never heard such bull,you must be takin the mick?!:confused:

MariborKev
24/03/2009, 10:17 PM
I kid you not.

I had three of the massive tricolours from Carrolls, 12ft by 12ft.

Two of them had no writing on them, and were stolen at away games. Seriously ****ed off I decided to put a Derry Crest on the third one. Amazing several years on, it has never been touched.......

paul_oshea
24/03/2009, 10:19 PM
soccerc posted this before, it is indeed in the constitution that you are not allowed to interfere with the flag in any way.

irishultra
24/03/2009, 10:44 PM
in fairness the constitution says a lot of things. what was all that nonsense about the states relationship with the holy trinity or whatever de valera was talking about? :rolleyes: :)

soccerc
24/03/2009, 11:01 PM
soccerc posted this before, it is indeed in the constitution that you are not allowed to interfere with the flag in any way.

It's not in the constitution PO'S. Reference to the use of the national flag is in Protocols in the Dept of An Taoiseach

The National Flag should never be defaced by placing slogans, logos, lettering or pictures of any kind on it, for example at sporting events.

The Fly
24/03/2009, 11:23 PM
I find it ludicrous that you could consider it disresectful to put the name of a supporters club, local team etc., on the flag. 99% of large Irish flags that are at away matches have writing or an image on them of some form.

So you don't think it's 'ludicrous' because most people bring defaced flags with them on away games. That's great reasoning.

Hmmm.....why don't we deface, with slogans or images, some of the flags flown above, for example, some of the various governmental institutions in Dublin. I mean.....if people do it at away matches.........why don't we all do it.......sure where's the harm?

And personally I have never heard such bull,you must be takin the mick?!
:confused:

I love to know what circles you move in if you have never personally heard such 'bull' in your life.

Superhoops
24/03/2009, 11:35 PM
Was there not a ridiculous big argument over this 'chelsea on the tricolour' issue before??? As far as a I know it caused a good foot.ie poster and long standing London-Irish ROI fan to stop using this site....

At the Georgia game there was tricolour with 'Tranmere' on it slung over the premium level rail in the corner of the Cusack/Davin. I don't remember any furore over it like there was about the Chelsea version. Strangely enough the Tranmere flag was almost in the same position as the Chelsea flag!

Any bets of which club will be represented at that location next Saturday??

Sligo Hornet
25/03/2009, 7:52 AM
At the Georgia game there was tricolour with 'Tranmere' on it slung over the premium level rail in the corner of the Cusack/Davin. I don't remember any furore over it like there was about the Chelsea version. Strangely enough the Tranmere flag was almost in the same position as the Chelsea flag!

Any bets of which club will be represented at that location next Saturday??

http://i41.tinypic.com/2helc2o.jpg

zenokelly
25/03/2009, 8:46 AM
So you don't think it's 'ludicrous' because most people bring defaced flags with them on away games. That's great reasoning.

Hmmm.....why don't we deface, with slogans or images, some of the flags flown above, for example, some of the various governmental institutions in Dublin. I mean.....if people do it at away matches.........why don't we all do it.......sure where's the harm?

I love to know what circles you move in if you have never personally heard such 'bull' in your life.

My reasoning wasn't the use of them at away matches, more pointing out that if defaced flags weren't 'allowed':rolleyes: there would be very few or no tricolours decorating foreign stadiums.

You are the kind of person that I'd say just argues out of boredom or for the sake of it because you have no reasoning behind why you find it disrespectful. To who? Mary McAleese.

Foreign teams on the Irish flag I do have a slight problem with but if a fellow Irish fan wants to do that so be it.

Superhoops
25/03/2009, 10:18 AM

Wot!!! Not Watford???

Naitch
25/03/2009, 10:27 AM
Any plans to have flags on every seat like they do at the Munster and the odd Ireland rugby games? Really adds to the atmosphere

Sligo Hornet
25/03/2009, 10:27 AM
Wot!!! Not Watford???

Yes!.......everyone has a cross to bear:p

ArdeeBhoy
25/03/2009, 12:01 PM
They should use the Four Provinces flag as our national flag anyway.

Far more colourful. And any writing on there would just look stupid.......

Mise Le Mas
25/03/2009, 2:56 PM
I personally see nothing wrong with theses flags, as we are all supporters of Ireland at the end of the Day

The Fly
25/03/2009, 3:02 PM
I personally see nothing wrong with theses flags, as we are all supporters of Ireland at the end of the Day

I agree.......we are all supporters of Ireland at the end of the day, so why put Sligo Hornets and Dalkey on the flag!

zenokelly
25/03/2009, 3:28 PM
I agree.......we are all supporters of Ireland at the end of the day, so why put Sligo Hornets and Dalkey on the flag!

Do you go to matches? Do you have your own large Irish flag that you spent good money on hanging from the stand?

And you still never answered my previous question, who does it disrespect, we are all Irish football supporters

The Fly
25/03/2009, 4:16 PM
Do you go to matches? Do you have your own large Irish flag that you spent good money on hanging from the stand?

And you still never answered my previous question, who does it disrespect, we are all Irish football supporters

I must preface this by repeating what I wrote in an earlier post. This is something more along the lines of a pet peeve for me, offensive would be too strong a word to use.

To me, daubing the Irish flag with slogans and images is direspectful of said flag and it's place in Irish society. I don't understand how or why you need further elaboration on that.
Would we write a slogan on the tricolour that is flown above the GPO? No - because it's disrespectful. Obviously that is not comparing like with like, I am just trying to put forward the fact that the national flag does command a definate respect, in certain contexts. (For me this would any context). So, why do it abroad, where to a large degree, Irish fans are representing their country. It isn't even common practice on St. Patrick's day!

I might also add that it seems to be unique with Irish football fans, it doesn't happen with their equivalent in the rugby fraternity or in the GAA.

Schumi
25/03/2009, 4:27 PM
The was a tricolour with "In BOD We Trust" on it at the Wales game on Saturday. Why would GAA fans have a tricolour?

Mise Le Mas
25/03/2009, 4:30 PM
Personally i like to see where supporters are from, by they flags they have, be it Sligo Hornets or Dalkey or any other part of the Country. Try telling London Irish Luton Irish or any club outside of Ireland who support Ireland not to put their club name on the Flag.

Moscow Mule
25/03/2009, 5:24 PM

We all enjoy and take for granted somethings that many on this earth are denied and that is freedom of speach and expression. We all get peeved with things that we don't agree with but isn't that part of the diversity of live?

Enjoy the differences of opinions, fly whatever flag you like just make sure that you do fly one on Saturday.

By the way Sligo Hornet how many flags have you got?:confused:

zenokelly
25/03/2009, 5:33 PM
I might also add that it seems to be unique with Irish football fans, it doesn't happen with their equivalent in the rugby fraternity or in the GAA.

Why would GAA fans have tricolors, for the annual international rules?
And that is my exact point, Irish football fans lighten up foeign stadia wit many flags, whereas there is little or very very few ever at rugby matches which is the problem that this thread is trying to put right for saturday.

MariborKev
25/03/2009, 5:40 PM
Any plans to have flags on every seat like they do at the Munster and the odd Ireland rugby games? Really adds to the atmosphere

Rolly eyes.

Flags do not add to the atmosphere, people do.

The Fly
25/03/2009, 6:31 PM
Why would GAA fans have tricolors, for the annual international rules?

Perhaps, you also do see the odd one at All-Irelands.

And that is my exact point, Irish football fans lighten up foeign stadia wit many flags, whereas there is little or very very few ever at rugby matches which is the problem that this thread is trying to put right for saturday.

Agreed - indeed they do!
.....although the flying of many flags is separate from the flying of many 'defaced' flags. Flying a 'defaced' flag makes no difference to the atmosphere at a match, than the flying of an untouched one.

I think we'll just agree to disagree on this one Zeno!
Anyway.....what's on your flag and what stand will you be in. I'll try and look out for you! :rolleyes:

fergalr
25/03/2009, 10:15 PM
Bloody ell what a depressing thread. One decent post to kick it off and then it all goes pear shaped. Lets all bring plastic hammers - will we all be happy then?

tetsujin1979
25/03/2009, 11:46 PM
and dress in leprechaun suits
and wear celtic jerseys
que sera sera...

LFCSixty/Eighty
26/03/2009, 8:19 PM
Having been the originator of this thread my intention was to raise the issue of how we could utilize Croke Park a bit better, so that when the players walk out onto the pitch on Saturday, the place is awash with the tri-colour it might give them that bit of an extra buzz about the occassion.

It wasn't my intention for it to go down the route of the whole 'defacing the flag' subject. The whole debate about whether writing 'Sligo Hornets' on the flag is a reason for treason is a whole other matter. Though I do wonder why some would choose to show this by writing on it a little strange. Even still, I would still prefer to have a stadium full of flags that had writing on them than none.

Obviously there is alot more to atmosphere etc than a few flags, but knowing the fact that we are ARE the home team by looking around a stadium full of green, white and orange could also help...even just a little!

The Fly
26/03/2009, 8:32 PM
Having been the originator of this thread my intention was to raise the issue of how we could utilize Croke Park a bit better, so that when the players walk out onto the pitch on Saturday, the place is awash with the tri-colour it might give them that bit of an extra buzz about the occassion.

It wasn't my intention for it to go down the route of the whole 'defacing the flag' subject. The whole debate about whether writing 'Sligo Hornets' on the flag is a reason for treason is a whole other matter. Though I do wonder why some would choose to show this by writing on it a little strange. Even still, I would still prefer to have a stadium full of flags that had writing on them than none.

Obviously there is alot more to atmosphere etc than a few flags, but knowing the fact that we are ARE the home team by looking around a stadium full of green, white and orange could also help...even just a little!

Apologies for 'hijacking' the thread or at least for being responsible for taking it off on a tangent on only the first reply................I should of waited at least a couple of pages ;).

P.S -............treason.........nahhh!