Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Irish Flags for Saturday??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

More Irish Flags for Saturday??

Not sure if anyone noticed in the last game versus Georgia that a huge quantity of 'advertising' space in the middle tier of Croke Park had not been taken up and all that was left in it place was blank aluminum sheets.

To me this was an opportunity missed. So the following week I sent off an email to the FAI asking that maybe in future if these advertising spaces were not going to be used then maybe in their place we could put Irish flags, akin to the glory days of Genoa in 1990 and Giants stadium in 1994 to name a few.

These are all days that stand out in our memories for obvious reasons but also by the fact that Irish flags adorned these stadiums and not only added colour and magic to these occasions but I'm sure in a small way contibuted to inspiring the players.

My response from the FAI was to the effect that budgetery concerns prevented them from doing anything and it was up to the fans to bring their own. I was hoping this would not be the case but I can understand it being that way (though personally I'd prefer 100 irish flags around the stadium than Traps hands or A4 sheets that are held aloft for 5 mins before the game and then discarded)

For some reason we have no problem in making away stadiums full of colour but I'm just wondering why we are reluctant to do this for home matches. I would love if we could make this some kind of flag day, like some English clubs do. I was only thinking that even the slightest thing to spur the lads on to victory on Sat would be worth it. Hopefully on Saturday those same lads who will travel in such numbers on Wed will also bring those same flags and banners to Croker and make this a night to remember.
    “I’d always play Pirlo but Trapatoni says his first concern is to avoid losing goals. The truth is that we didn’t know what we were doing out there" Gennaro Gattuso, June 2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    577 Posts
    One point I would like to make on Irish flags being flown at either Croker/Lansdowne or at away games - I wish the FAI would make a rule that flags are not allowed to be defaced.
    It really ****es me off seeing the tricolour, with writing on it, being flown at matches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    One point I would like to make on Irish flags being flown at either Croker/Lansdowne or at away games - I wish the FAI would make a rule that flags are not allowed to be defaced.
    It really ****es me off seeing the tricolour, with writing on it, being flown at matches.
    especially with club teams be they bohs, celtic, barcelona or colo colo(seen them in libertadores,name may be wong)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    is it not against the constitution or something to write anything on the tri-colour. I seem to remember that Guinness got into trouble before the Korea/Japan world cup for giving out free flags with Guinness on it (the word not spilt drink).
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Think you're right about that centre mid, either way a bit of common decency should tell you not to write crap on your national flag

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    577 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Think you're right about that centre mid, either way a bit of common decency should tell you not to write crap on your national flag
    I agree, I just don't know what possesses someone to write anything on our national flag. Unfortunately, it does seem to be rather endemic at matches or maybe that's just me. I wish we could start some sort of petition, which could be presented to whomever it may concern (the FAI), to try and end this practice.

Anyone else feel the same?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    umm not sure, free country and all that, but feckin hell what possesses a person to write 'chelsea fc' on an ireland flag?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    football teams on the flag never really bothered me...
    but pub names do

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    ah now, perhaps SRFC or Cork City but chelsea?

anywya this looks class

http://www.ybig.ie/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5875&PN=12

scroll down...epic
    Last edited by irishultra; 24/03/2009 at 7:37 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Was there not a ridiculous big argument over this 'chelsea on the tricolour' issue before??? As far as a I know it caused a good foot.ie poster and long standing London-Irish ROI fan to stop using this site.

To keep on topic, personally I love grounds full of flags and colour and would support this initiative, and don't see any big deal with writing/images on the flag. Christ, what's so offensive about seeing someone elses team, town or supporters club on the tricolour???
    The dude abides....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    i don't have any real deep attachment to the flag of ireland or anything but i don't know just think it looks a bit stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    577 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    Was there not a ridiculous big argument over this 'chelsea on the tricolour' issue before??? As far as a I know it caused a good foot.ie poster and long standing London-Irish ROI fan to stop using this site.

To keep on topic, personally I love grounds full of flags and colour and would support this initiative, and don't see any big deal with writing/images on the flag. Christ, what's so offensive about seeing someone elses team, town or supporters club on the tricolour???
    I wouldn't say that I find it offensive, it's more along the lines of a pet peeve with me. I find the defacing of the flag to be disrespectful more than anything.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I agree, I just don't know what possesses someone to write anything on our national flag. Unfortunately, it does seem to be rather endemic at matches or maybe that's just me. I wish we could start some sort of petition, which could be presented to whomever it may concern (the FAI), to try and end this practice.

Anyone else feel the same?
    Down with that sort of thing ? try www.flaggarda.com

No......... unfortunately it is not endemic because of various reasons which is why there were more Polish flags than Irish flags the last time we played them at Croke Park

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I find it ludicrous that you could consider it disresectful to put the name of a supporters club, local team etc., on the flag. 99% of large Irish flags that are at away matches have writing or an image on them of some form.

I wouldn't say that I find it offensive, it's more along the lines of a pet peeve with me. I find the defacing of the flag to be disrespectful more than anything.
    And personally I have never heard such bull,you must be takin the mick?!
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I kid you not.

I had three of the massive tricolours from Carrolls, 12ft by 12ft.

Two of them had no writing on them, and were stolen at away games. Seriously ****ed off I decided to put a Derry Crest on the third one. Amazing several years on, it has never been touched.......
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    soccerc posted this before, it is indeed in the constitution that you are not allowed to interfere with the flag in any way.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    in fairness the constitution says a lot of things. what was all that nonsense about the states relationship with the holy trinity or whatever de valera was talking about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    soccerc posted this before, it is indeed in the constitution that you are not allowed to interfere with the flag in any way.
    It's not in the constitution PO'S. Reference to the use of the national flag is in Protocols in the Dept of An Taoiseach

The National Flag should never be defaced by placing slogans, logos, lettering or pictures of any kind on it, for example at sporting events.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    577 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zenokelly View Post
    I find it ludicrous that you could consider it disresectful to put the name of a supporters club, local team etc., on the flag. 99% of large Irish flags that are at away matches have writing or an image on them of some form.
    So you don't think it's 'ludicrous' because most people bring defaced flags with them on away games. That's great reasoning.

Hmmm.....why don't we deface, with slogans or images, some of the flags flown above, for example, some of the various governmental institutions in Dublin. I mean.....if people do it at away matches.........why don't we all do it.......sure where's the harm?

And personally I have never heard such bull,you must be takin the mick?!
    I love to know what circles you move in if you have never personally heard such 'bull' in your life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    Was there not a ridiculous big argument over this 'chelsea on the tricolour' issue before??? As far as a I know it caused a good foot.ie poster and long standing London-Irish ROI fan to stop using this site....
    At the Georgia game there was tricolour with 'Tranmere' on it slung over the premium level rail in the corner of the Cusack/Davin. I don't remember any furore over it like there was about the Chelsea version. Strangely enough the Tranmere flag was almost in the same position as the Chelsea flag!

Any bets of which club will be represented at that location next Saturday??
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast