PDA

View Full Version : Man U

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

culloty82
28/01/2010, 7:32 AM
Were the empty seats at the Hull match a sign that the fans have finally had enough of the Glazers? Nearly time to wind on that famous banner!

The Don
28/01/2010, 8:31 AM
Were the empty seats at the Hull match a sign that the fans have finally had enough of the Glazers? Nearly time to wind on that famous banner!

Still 12,000 more at hull game than the next biggest stadium holds and nearly 30,000 more than the so called best supported team in england. Wouldnt be closing the doors just yet:rolleyes:

old git
28/01/2010, 10:19 PM
Ferdinand will probably be given a ban after his elbow into Fagan so back to square one...

4 game ban for ferdinand ... :confused: referee & 2 linesmen missed original incident what were they watching :D very harsh looks like f.a. added on 1 game because he had the cheek to appeal violent conduct charge .......... "'The Independent Commission felt that the player's claim against the charge was frivolous and on that basis have awarded an additional one match ban upon the statutory three match ban awarded for violent conduct,' said an FA statement." plenty of other incidents in last week or so and nobody charged gallas tackle against davis of bolton ( wenger even apologised after match for tackle ) elliot burnley last night v bolton late studs high into oponents knee etc .. wonder if it a bit of payback for fergies ref comments a few weeks back :)

DeLorean
28/01/2010, 10:40 PM
Yeah it's a strange one alright. When the ref misses it a fella can get a big ban but when a ref see's it, but gets it horribly wrong, nothing can be done afterwards.

Macy
29/01/2010, 9:24 AM
4 game ban for ferdinand ... :confused: referee & 2 linesmen missed original incident what were they watching :D very harsh looks like f.a. added on 1 game because he had the cheek to appeal violent conduct charge ..........
I thought it was pretty much a given that the ban would be increased once he appealed, since he didn't have much of a defence?

DeLorean
29/01/2010, 9:40 AM
I thought it was pretty much a given that the ban would be increased once he appealed, since he didn't have much of a defence?

Yeah he can't complain too much but I thought he had a slight case. It didn't look all that malicious to me, just two fellas jostling for position and he swung his arm back. It was very tame compared to Gallas and other such incidents with a far greater punishment, but that's the way the rules are applied.

old git
29/01/2010, 2:53 PM

his defence was that mascherano did the same to beckford in carling cup liverpool v leeds a couple of months back and mascherano got off .
looks like ref had final say as ref in liverpool game ( wiley) said if he saw incident he would not have sent mascherano off >. but ref in utd game ( bennet ) said he would have sent ferdinand off if he saw incident..
so utd claimed how can it be a fair process if 2 simalar incidents produce 2 different outcomes and also f.a are effectivly asking an officall to re-referee a game :confused:

KK77
11/02/2010, 2:53 PM
Manchester United veteran Ryan Giggs has been ruled out for the next four weeks after suffering a fractured arm against Aston Villa.

Won't harm them at all imo and that's not saying he's a bad player before i am accused of having a go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

old git
11/02/2010, 4:46 PM
Manchester United veteran Ryan Giggs has been ruled out for the next four weeks after suffering a fractured arm against Aston Villa.

Won't harm them at all imo and that's not saying he's a bad player before i am accused of having a go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

might hurt them a bit ?? as i thought giggs was playing well this season and scoring some vital goals ... also nani now suspended for 3 games and he was looking half decent recently ..(never thought i would say that)
thought his sending of a bit harsh last night yellow at least... compare to pinnears assult to mascherano last week in pool v everton ... even last night catermole got sent of on a 2nd yellow for a simlar tackle ..
but thats the problem maybee refs are not consistent enough

DeLorean
12/02/2010, 4:56 PM
might hurt them a bit ?? as i thought giggs was playing well this season and scoring some vital goals ... also nani now suspended for 3 games and he was looking half decent recently ..(never thought i would say that)
thought his sending of a bit harsh last night yellow at least... compare to pinnears assult to mascherano last week in pool v everton ... even last night catermole got sent of on a 2nd yellow for a simlar tackle ..
but thats the problem maybee refs are not consistent enough

I thought Nani's was a straight red, without a doubt. There could have been five or six reds in the Merseyside Derby, only saw the highlights but there was some really tough tackles. I'm glad the ref was lenient though, great to see the occasional match like that.

I presume Park will just slot in for Giggs with Valancia instead of Nani. Park could possibly have started the San Siro match anyway. Still a big enough loss though at this stage of the season, he's always capable of that bit of magic that Park isn't.

old git
12/02/2010, 8:11 PM
[QUOTE=DeLorean;1319219]I thought Nani's was a straight red, without a doubt. There could have been five or six reds in the Merseyside Derby, only saw the highlights but there was some really tough tackles. I'm glad the ref was lenient though, great to see the occasional match like that.

glad ref was lenient enough !!! going by tackles in liverpool / everton game nani' should never even been booked then :D
but have to say in some of the games now some of the refs book players for nothing tackles :ball:

MaryDrummer
14/02/2010, 1:24 PM

Giggs has the highest assists count of any of our players this season with a total of 14. We will miss him!

I'm gutted coz I'm going to the United v Milan match in OT and he won't be fit in time. :(

Acornvilla
14/02/2010, 1:30 PM
ryan giggs plays for galway :o

MaryDrummer
16/02/2010, 12:27 AM
That's the second time someone has done that here!

Manchester United are my first team, Galway United are my second!

Roo69
16/02/2010, 12:11 PM
That's the second time someone has done that here!

Manchester United are my first team, Galway United are my second!

At least your honest if nothing else :D

Roo69
16/02/2010, 12:14 PM
I thought Nani's was a straight red, without a doubt. There could have been five or six reds in the Merseyside Derby, only saw the highlights but there was some really tough tackles. I'm glad the ref was lenient though, great to see the occasional match like that.

I presume Park will just slot in for Giggs with Valancia instead of Nani. Park could possibly have started the San Siro match anyway. Still a big enough loss though at this stage of the season, he's always capable of that bit of magic that Park isn't.

So in other words its ok for a Ref to let what could be career ending challenges the odd time? Rules are rules.

But you are right in saying it was great to see a match with tackles just flying in, but i do think the ref got pretty much everything wrong.

DeLorean
16/02/2010, 12:19 PM
But you are right in saying it was great to see a match with tackles just flying in, but i do think the ref got pretty much everything wrong.

That's all I was saying really, obviously though it would be better if they just got the decisions right, like with Nani imo.

Closed Account 2
17/02/2010, 4:47 PM
Probably job done for Man Utd... but an early goal for Milan might shake things up a bit, I think both teams will have chances, as both Man Utd's and Milan's defenders struggled to contain each other's attackers. Favalli was pretty slow - even for a 38 year old, much of Milan's team last night would have been a dream team a decade ago (Nesta, Beckham, Seedorf, Inzaghi, Pirlo, Ambrosini, Ronaldinho etc). At the same time Ronaldinho was able to cause big problems and Beckham, when given space, could put in dangerous balls. You would certainly fancy Milan to fashion a chance from a set piece, but equally well if they put Thiago Silva and Nesta up in the oppositions's box Rooney could hit them on the break.

MaryDrummer
18/02/2010, 9:07 PM
But with Carrick missing the next match, how will Fergie go about his beloved 4 5 1?

I'd love an all out attacking 4 4 2 if Favalli starts with Valencia and Berbatov or Diouf with Rooney up front. You can either play clever hold up play with Berbatov or just run the **** outta Milan and their ageing legs with Diouf.

culloty82
19/02/2010, 7:42 AM
When the game's there to be won, I'd imagine they will play 4-4-2 at home, but Diouf's surely too inexperienced for a game of this importance. Strangely, Park usually plays well against stronger teams, so probably him, Fletcher, Scholes and Nani/Giggs if fit in midfield, and like you said Valencia/Berbatov with Rooney up front.

MaryDrummer
23/02/2010, 2:49 PM
Yeah he probably is too inexperienced and I would love to see Owen play up front with Rooney but Fergie doesn't seem to think Owen can start a game. That's why I said Diouf, probably more wishful thinking on my part! 4 4 2 with Park, don't think I've ever seen it done! lol

DeLorean
23/02/2010, 4:00 PM
United have been playing their best football this season with 4-5-1 so I'm not sure why you want to inflict a 4-4-2 formation on them? They played 4-4-2 at Goodison and got tanked, 4-5-1 at the Emirates and San Siro and got their best results of the season, also 4-4-2 at Anfield earlier in the season and were well beaten. The simple fact of the matter is that they have only one striker who is worth having on the pitch at the moment but a lot of capable midfielders. 4-5-1 isn't necessarily a negative system, it just depends how it's applied. When United use it they have two very attack minded wingers, they have runners from the centre of midfield and also overlapping full backs. It used to annoy me when he played 4-5-1 last season/season before because they played Rooney on the left but it is definitely their best system with the current crop.

shakermaker1982
23/02/2010, 4:42 PM
Man Utd haven't got the midfielders to play 4-4-2 anymore.

Poor second half performance Saturday and Rooney had a shocker.

KK77
05/03/2010, 9:19 AM
likkle Michael Owen ruled out for the season.

DeLorean
05/03/2010, 10:46 AM
likkle Michael Owen ruled out for the season.

Could be a bit of a loss should they go far in the Champions League. He wasn't getting an awful lot of game time anyway but his experience could have been useful in the run-in. At least he went out on a bit of a high scoring an important goal at the weekend and who knows he may end up the the PL and CL medals that alluded him at Liverpool.

superfrank
05/03/2010, 11:02 AM
So his season's over, what did Man U fans make of him?

KK77
05/03/2010, 11:06 AM
Could be a bit of a loss should they go far in the Champions League. He wasn't getting an awful lot of game time anyway but his experience could have been useful in the run-in. At least he went out on a bit of a high scoring an important goal at the weekend and who knows he may end up the the PL and CL medals that alluded him at Liverpool.

Alluded him by one season at Liverpool.
As the steward said to him the night of the Chelsea game in 05 as he made his way across from the ITV box "Sorry you left now Michael"!!!!!!! The pain must have been awful that night in Istanbul. Will he still get a CL medal if he's out injured if Man Utd win it????????

Might want to edit his brochure saying he isn't injury prone!!!

De Town
05/03/2010, 11:07 AM
Meh, I thought he did alright tbh considering how much game time he got. Obviously he has lost the pace he had year ago but he certainly knew where the goal was and i'd much rather have him running onto a 1 on 1 than Berbatov. Scored some important goals too, the City winner being the most important obviously.

DeLorean
05/03/2010, 11:12 AM
So his season's over, what did Man U fans make of him?

I think Ferguson realising that 4-5-1 was the system that best suited Rooney and United put a nail or two in his coffin. Had Rooney and Berbatov been part of a 4-4-2 system then Owen would have been a used substitute at least in every match. The fact that they went 4-5-1 meant Berbatov was first choice from the bench so it was difficult to fit Owen in. You couldn't agrue too much with his contribution when he did play, goals-wise at least which is how he's always going to be judged. The injury has come at a very bad time because I'm sure on the back of/and before tough Champions League games he would have got a run in some league games. Overall this injury has ensured that the signing won't be deemed a success, for this season at least, but as most people said at the time he signed it was a fairly risk free investment anyway.

KK77
05/03/2010, 11:16 AM
I think Ferguson realising that 4-5-1 was the system that best suited Rooney and United but a nail or two in his coffin. Had Rooney and Berbatov been part of a 4-4-2 system then Owen would have been a used substitute at least in every match. The fact that they went 4-5-1 meant Berbatov was first choice from the bench so it was difficult to fit Owen in. You couldn't agrue too much with his contribution when he did play, goals-wise at least which is how he's always going to be judged. The injury has come at a very bad time because I'm sure on the back of/and before tough Champions League games he would have got a run in some league games. Overall this injury has ensured that the signing won't be deemed a success, for this season at least, but as most people said at the time he signed it was a fairly risk free investment anyway.Will he still get a CL medal if he's out injured if Man Utd win it????????

Don't see how it was risk free. They are paying a player huge money who they knew was a crock from the start. What about the 50k a week and huge signing on fee he got? Does he give this up now or continue to spend it on the gee gees?

DeLorean
05/03/2010, 11:26 AM
Alluded him by one season at Liverpool

Well there's no guarantees ye would have won it if he stayed.

As the steward said to him the night of the Chelsea game in 05 as he made his way across from the ITV box "Sorry you left now Michael"!!!!!!! The pain must have been awful that night in Istanbul. Will he still get a CL medal if he's out injured if Man Utd win it????????

Might want to edit his brochure saying he isn't injury prone!!!

You seem quite chuffed about the news Rafa, not surprising I suppose. I presume he would be entitled to a Champions League medal having played in all 6 group games and being part of the final squad. Open to correction though.

DeLorean
05/03/2010, 11:30 AM
Don't see how it was risk free. They are paying a player huge money who they knew was a crock from the start. What about the 50k a week and huge signing on fee he got? Does he give this up now or continue to spend it on the gee gees?

I'd consider that fairly risk free to be honest, relatively speaking.

KK77
05/03/2010, 11:31 AM
Well there's no guarantees ye would have won it if he stayed.

You seem quite chuffed about the news Rafa, not surprising I suppose. I presume he would be entitled to a Champions League medal having played in all 6 group games and being part of the final squad. Open to correction though.

Couldn't care less to be honest just joining in the discussion. You only get a medal if you are in the final squad. Do you expect him to be in the squad if they get there and he's injured?

DeLorean
05/03/2010, 11:33 AM
Couldn't care less to be honest just joining in the discussion. You only get a medal if you are in the final squad. Do you expect him to be in the squad if they get there and he's injured?

Sorry I meant the Final squad that was selected after the group stage, not for the Final itself. I thought Keane & Scholes got medals in 99 even though they were suspended?

KK77
05/03/2010, 11:34 AM
I'd consider that fairly risk free to be honest, relatively speaking.

I wouldn't myself but i would be prepared to wager a few quid that Fergie had already to decided to dispense with his services before the latest hamstring injury.

KK77
05/03/2010, 11:42 AM
Sorry I meant the Final squad that was selected after the group stage, not for the Final itself. I thought Keane & Scholes got medals in 99 even though they were suspended?

You are probably right as i know Mellor did not get one in 2005 so the rule may have changed now.

DeLorean
05/03/2010, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't myself but i would be prepared to wager a few quid that Fergie had already to decided to dispense with his services before the latest hamstring injury.

50,000 a week you say. For the full year that's 2.6m approx. It's not an awful lot to lose and his 9 goals could be the differnce between United winning trophies or not, certainly contributed heavily to the League Cup win and if United win the PL by a point or two that winner against City will look invaluable.

According to WikiAnswers the winning CL team receives 30 medals. Obviously the squad for the Final will each get one and presumably it's up to the club to give the rest to those most worthy. The fact that Owen has scored four goals in the competition I'd imagine he would get one. Just the small matter of winning it now!!

DeLorean
05/03/2010, 12:02 PM
Better news about the other Owen (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8551404.stm)

Macheda might prove useful also.

KK77
05/03/2010, 1:12 PM
50,000 a week you say. For the full year that's 2.6m approx. It's not an awful lot to lose and his 9 goals could be the differnce between United winning trophies or not, certainly contributed heavily to the League Cup win and if United win the PL by a point or two that winner against City will look invaluable.

According to WikiAnswers the winning CL team receives 30 medals. Obviously the squad for the Final will each get one and presumably it's up to the club to give the rest to those most worthy. The fact that Owen has scored four goals in the competition I'd imagine he would get one. Just the small matter of winning it now!!

Big difference in having a medal to winning a medal but sure that's just my opinion.

As regards the other Owen i can't see him ever getting back to his best. Been out too long and the pace of the game in this day and age will be way too much for his knees. Would be nice to be wrong though as not nice to see a good honest decent pro being out so long.

DeLorean
05/03/2010, 1:22 PM
Big difference in having a medal to winning a medal but sure that's just my opinion

I think it's safe to say that's everybody's opinion. He will have contributed though, however slight. I'm sure he'd still prefer it than being at Hull or Stoke, which were his options.

As regards the other Owen i can't see him ever getting back to his best. Been out too long and the pace of the game in this day and age will be way too much for his knees. Would be nice to be wrong though as not nice to see a good honest decent pro being out so long.

It will be a serious battle for him alright. Just glad that there's some hope of him playing again now anyway.

DeLorean
31/03/2010, 4:30 PM
Rooney out for 2-4 weeks (http://www.skysports.com/football/world-cup-2010/story/0,27032,12016_6066380,00.html)

This is a some blow with the games they've coming up. Hard to see them winning the league now, in particular, and the Champions League is looking very fragile as well. If ever there was an opportunity for Berbatov to win everybody over it is now, hard to see it happening though.

elroy
01/04/2010, 1:09 PM
United played very well last wkd w/o Rooney. But no one can deny he will be missed. United could do with a fit Owen now.
Things have turned around, a few weeks ago United needed to beat Chelsea, now a draw will do, and i fancy them to get it, which should be enough to see them win the league too imo. However, it would be ironic if United/Arsenal's progress in the CL was the ultimate undoing in the league and Chelsea take the title having exited the CL at an earlier stage.

DeLorean
01/04/2010, 2:42 PM
Thought the 4-0 at the Reebok was ridiculously flattering to be honest but Berbatov was reasonably good so hopefully he can prove a point over the next few games. After Saturday I think United and Arsenal's run-ins are pretty similar. Both have extremely difficult derby matches away from home and both have tough games at home those the same two teams, United with Spurs and Arsenal with City. Chelsea probably have the most difficult run-in, having both Spurs & Liverpool away so they could really use the 3 points on Saturday.

DeLorean
08/04/2010, 3:29 PM
United sign Javier Hernández (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0408/manunited.html)

Anybody have information on this guy? I read his wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javier_Hern%C3%A1ndez_(footballer) there, seems a decent prospect. They suggested the deal is worth £29m which is kind of hard to believe.

John83
08/04/2010, 3:55 PM
United sign Javier Hernández (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0408/manunited.html)

Anybody have information on this guy? I read his wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javier_Hern%C3%A1ndez_%28footballer) there, seems a decent prospect. They suggested the deal is worth £29m which is kind of hard to believe.
If you mean the wiki article suggested that fee, it's currently being vandalised to hell.

DeLorean
08/04/2010, 4:16 PM
If you mean the wiki article suggested that fee, it's currently being vandalised to hell.

Yeah it was ok when I read it first, except for the £29m bit which seemed a tad far fetched given their situation and the players inexperience!

Longfordian
08/04/2010, 4:35 PM
That bastion of journalism The Sun are reporting a £6m fee. He's the new Hugo Sanchez I reckon

culloty82
08/04/2010, 4:59 PM
Found this link for a scouting site on Google, says he's got 21 goals in 28 games. http://www.imscouting.com/players/javier-hernandez/
Granted the Mexican league's weaker than Europe but Guadalajara do well in the Libertadores most years.

KK77
09/04/2010, 11:20 AM
Will never understand why he let Tevez go. Must be having nightmares over this now.

gustavo
09/04/2010, 11:32 AM
Will never understand why he let Tevez go. Must be having nightmares over this now.

He didn't let him go , he chose not to purchase him