PDA

View Full Version : Womens senior cup 2009

Pages : [1] 2

LmkSnr
08/03/2009, 7:15 PM
Draw for the senior cup wed 11th march .Noticed on my trip to the college intervarsities
that there seems to be a lot of movement in teams west of the shannon.

rasper
14/03/2009, 12:49 AM
Draw for the senior cup wed 11th march .Noticed on my trip to the college intervarsities
that there seems to be a lot of movement in teams west of the shannon.

well done to UL in the intervarsities well worth their win but your right there is a lot movement with teams and players with sligo rovers now playing in the mayo league they are joined by castlebar and killala after a few years break but ballina not entering this year league kicks off on march 15th.
roscommon and galway have lost teams but there is more football being played now that ever before

37Beour
14/03/2009, 4:34 PM
FAI UMBRO Women's Senior Challenge Cup 2009 - Round 1

(8 games, 8 byes)

Dundalk City WFC V St. Catherine’s LFC
Roscommon East Galway V Kiltimagh / Knock United
St. Francis FC V Drogheda United Ladies
Aisling Annacotty AFC V Salthill Devon
Wilton United AFC V D.W.S.L.
Wexford District League V Peamount United
Dundalk FC V Cork Womens League
Leixlip United V Lifford League

BYES:
Galway Ladies
Limerick Desmonds
Mayo Women’s League
Limerick Ladies FC
Monaghan United Ladies
Raheny United
Stella Maris
Templeogue United

Lovely couple of games in that draw.:D

37Beour
20/03/2009, 12:34 PM
FAI UMBRO Women's Senior Challenge Cup 2009 - Round 1

(8 games, 8 byes)

BYES:
Galway Ladies
Limerick Desmonds
Mayo Women’s League
Limerick Ladies FC
Monaghan United Ladies
Raheny United
Stella Maris
Templeogue United

Lovely couple of games in that draw.:D

St Catherines
Kiltimagh/Knock
St Francis
Aisling Annacotty
Wilton
Peamount
Cork League
Lifford Ladies

Alot of games will be tight:ball:

chick
21/03/2009, 11:05 AM
My predictions

Dundalk City WFC
Kiltimagh / Knock United
St. Francis FC
Aisling Annacotty AFC
Wilton United AFC
Peamount United
Cork Womens League
Lifford

ramladies
21/03/2009, 6:43 PM
Mine:

Also agree think alot of games might be tight. some nice games there for first round.
Also anyone know when draw for intermediate and junior taking place???

rasper
04/04/2009, 10:12 AM
roscommon have been awarded the irish cup match with kilitmagh/knock.
why are so many teams pulling out of irish cups??

37Beour
04/04/2009, 3:30 PM
What was the reason for Kiltimagh pulling out Rasper?!

Its a bit much the day before the games are suppose to be played.

rasper
04/04/2009, 6:09 PM
i agree, reason they gave was not enough players match fixed for saturday evening their girls were at soccer in limerick for inter pro's.there may be other problems as they also pulled out of mayo league.

37Beour
05/04/2009, 6:36 PM
Leixlip 0 - 2 Lifford
Aisling Annacotty 2 - 1 Salthill Devon
Dundalk FC 1 - 2 Cork Womens League (aet)

ramladies
05/04/2009, 7:18 PM
Wilton given walkover by D.W.S.L.

37Beour
05/04/2009, 7:51 PM
Wilton given walkover by D.W.S.L.

Thats shocking that the Dublin League gave a walkover. Totally disgraceful. Thats 2 games out of 8 now that were walkovers doesn't say much for the highest competition in Ireland.

Leaves an even more bitter taste when the likes of Salthill Devon are now gone:ball:

chick
05/04/2009, 8:28 PM
Thats 2 games out of 8 now that were walkovers doesn't say much for the highest competition in Ireland.

Make that 4 games out of 8. :eek:

First Rd Results (afaik) -
St. Catherine’s LFC w/o V Dundalk City WFC
Roscommon East Galway w/o V Kiltimagh / Knock United
St. Francis FC w/o V Drogheda United Ladies
Aisling Annacotty AFC 2-1 Salthill Devon
Wilton United AFC w/o V D.W.S.L.
Wexford District League 2-4 Peamount United
Dundalk FC 1-2 Cork Womens League(aet)
Leixlip United 0-2 Lifford

Then join Galway Ladies, Limerick Desmonds, Mayo Women’s League, Limerick Ladies FC, Monaghan United Ladies, Raheny United, Stella Maris and Templeogue United in the last 16.

37Beour
05/04/2009, 9:03 PM
[quote=chick;1137968]Make that 4 games out of 8. :eek:

Disgraceful.:mad:

munsterman
06/04/2009, 5:06 PM
Do Dundalk City, Drogheda also play in the Dublin league? Anyone know who scored for Annacotty and Lifford. Shauna McArthy scored two for Cork and Sonya Hoey scored for Dundalk.
When is the draw for last 16?

LmkSnr
07/04/2009, 5:07 PM
[quote=chick;1137968]Make that 4 games out of 8. :eek:

Disgraceful.:mad:

Sad day for womens soccer with so many walkovers.Hope the max fines are applied to
all the teams that failed to play.

AWOL
07/04/2009, 8:11 PM
Irene Hehir and Lynsey McKey scored for Lifford Ladies.

rasper
10/04/2009, 9:54 PM
Q-final draw is here (http://www.mayowomenssoccer.com) under Irish cup 2009

37Beour
11/04/2009, 11:39 AM
FAI UMBRO WOMEN’S SENIOR CHALLENGE CUP 2009

Round 2 (8 games)

HOME TEAM V AWAY TEAM

St. Francis FC V Templeogue United

Raheny United V Mayo Women’s League

Galway Ladies V St. Catherine’s LFC

Wilton United AFC V Peamount United

Cork Women’s Schoolgirls Soccer League V Roscommon East Galway

Monaghan United Ladies V Lifford Ladies

Stella Maris FC V Limerick Ladies FC

Aisling Annacotty AFC V Limerick Desmonds

FIXTURES TO BE PLAYED WEEKENDING 3RD MAY 2009

Predictions:

St Francis
Mayo
Galway League
Raheny
Wilton
Cork
Lifford
Stella Maris
Aisling Annacotty

ramladies
12/04/2009, 11:32 AM
Cork Women’s Soccer League V Roscommon East Galway

rasper
13/04/2009, 9:35 PM

apalachee
14/04/2009, 9:54 AM

soccerfan
23/04/2009, 12:01 PM
Can see the Mayo League taking the Senior Cup this year, the Mgr has the pick all the previous players with Ballina and Knock/ Kiltimagh clubs folding this year..
Sligo ladies were also knocked out of the league last weekend so that leaves him with Katrina Connolly, Karen Lilly, Noelle Gormley and Jackie Mulligan at this disposal for next weekend..

LmkSnr
23/04/2009, 7:28 PM
A Serious group of players to pick from in Mayo for senior cup .
But its a pity the clubs have found it difficult to stay together
at senior level as they were all top class and will be missed from the national
scene,

apalachee
27/04/2009, 10:40 AM
Castlebar Celtic are going strongly in the Mayo League with 5 wins out of 5. No doubt quite a few players from them for Mayo in the cup next weekend. Over the past couple of months at their best they have looked very good. How about their opponents on Sunday, Raheny? Has anyone seen them play recently?

soccerfan
27/04/2009, 3:47 PM
True but in fairness looking at the Mayo League, Killala are in second, competition is prob the worst ever, would expect alot of them to be included same as last yr, Manager of Mayo Team is Celtic's boss..

37Beour
03/05/2009, 6:37 PM
Stella Maris 2 - 0 Limerick FC

Aisling Annacotty 3 - 3 Limerick Desmond (AET) Limerick Desmond win 5-4 after pens

Monaghan Utd 0 - 3 Lifford

rasper
04/05/2009, 9:21 AM
Raheny 3 -0 mayo league
cork league received a walk over with roscommon
have the the fai/wfai made another mistake putting match's on just before college exams even tems that won had big players missings due to exams.
but a good news story seems to be the new national league due to start in october or is that true?

cityman
04/05/2009, 10:50 AM
Doubt it starting then if it is really going ahead. The wrong time for it, should run around the same season as the League of Ireland. Womens' soccer is played during that time anyway. It will come down to money, facilities and sure it will more than likely be representative teams playing. If there were to be 10 teams then 4 could be from Dublin, Peamount, St Francis, Raheny, DWSL?. With the other 6 maybe Monaghan Utd, Dundalk, Lifford, Cork League, Mayo League, Galway League.
Personally I think a walk before run attitude would be the way to go. Maybe for the first year or even two have four provincial divisions with the top two teams and perhaps the finalists in the WFAI Intermediate cup then go into the national league.
At least the teams have time to prepare to go into the league regarding finance, travel etc.

37Beour
04/05/2009, 11:07 AM
Raheny 3 -0 mayo league
cork league received a walk over with roscommon
have the the fai/wfai made another mistake putting match's on just before college exams even tems that won had big players missings due to exams.
but a good news story seems to be the new national league due to start in october or is that true?

Its nothing short of being disgraceful, i really hope all teams that gave walkovers (5 i think!) in this competition are heavily fined. There should be no excuses at this level.

As for the FAI/WFAI the Limerick League must have taken a leaf out of their book, they have put the biggest game of the season Lifford v Annacotty for 2morow night, the day college exams start in UL and this is after both teams played Senior Cup yest with Lifford going the whole way to Monaghan.

Where's the sense?!:rolleyes:

LmkSnr
04/05/2009, 11:32 AM
Doubt it starting then if it is really going ahead. The wrong time for it, should run around the same season as the League of Ireland. Womens' soccer is played during that time anyway. It will come down to money, facilities and sure it will more than likely be representative teams playing. If there were to be 10 teams then 4 could be from Dublin, Peamount, St Francis, Raheny, DWSL?. With the other 6 maybe Monaghan Utd, Dundalk, Lifford, Cork League, Mayo League, Galway League.
Personally I think a walk before run attitude would be the way to go. Maybe for the first year or even two have four provincial divisions with the top two teams and perhaps the finalists in the WFAI Intermediate cup then go into the national league.
At least the teams have time to prepare to go into the league regarding finance, travel etc.

Some vision if thats the future of womens senior soccer.mostly made up of league teams
except Dublin i see.The only way to grow the game is to make club teams stronger because at grass roots they are the ones that put most into the game.DWSL gave a walk over in senior cup most upsetting for all involved in womens soccer in dublin i would think

ramladies
04/05/2009, 11:55 AM
peamount beat wilton 2-1. peamount were one up at half time heard it could've been alot more, wilton made some changes and started to get back into game, managed to get one back but were caught on bout 88 min on the break.

Pedro m
04/05/2009, 12:47 PM
DWSL gave a walk over in senior cup most upsetting for all involved in womens soccer in dublin i would think

In fairness to the DWSL almost 1/2 the teams in this cup are in the DWSL so they dont have a lot of players to pick from in their top leagues. Also their leagues haven't started. Should not be entering it in first place in reality.

Its ridiculous that at least 5 of the quarter finalists (DWSL teams ) haven't played a league game yet.

And I wonder will Francis get another home draw in the quarters!

monkeygun
04/05/2009, 7:46 PM
Francis probably will get a home draw, Id say there firm favs again :)
I think the way they play is fantastic.
They move the ball from the back to the front with one touch football.
Pemount, raheny, and the other clubs cant keep up with them, they proved that in the final last year!
Anyword on the next rounds yet????

:D:D
Never is just ever with an 'N' on the front.
Banana??

chick
04/05/2009, 8:26 PM

Is this just a rumour?

In the Quarter finals draw are St. Francis, Raheny, St. Catherine’s, Peamount, Cork League, Lifford, Stella Maris and Limerick Desmonds.

rasper
04/05/2009, 8:49 PM
wow. aisling let me down for my predication got seven out of eight.

(1)i think we get league teams out of irish cup and leave them in a league but have irish cups for clubs.

(2)the cost of running teams at club or county level is now very high and more and more clubs both men and women are no longer around.

(3)I dont take the point that dublin dont have enough players to play in irish cups all it takes 11 to play.

monkeygun
05/05/2009, 12:43 PM
peamount beat wilton 2-1. peamount were one up at half time heard it could've been alot more, wilton made some changes and started to get back into game, managed to get one back but were caught on bout 88 min on the break.

Wilton made some great changes and ruled the game in the second half!!!
Very unlucky to win, pemount were lucky to get out of cork with a win.
Good game to watch tho, I could feel the passion!!!!!

Never is just ever with an 'N' on the front
Banana??

The One
05/05/2009, 5:56 PM
Yeah, heard that Wilton were good in the second half.
Anyone hear the results from the St Francis and Catherines games?
Does nobody rate Stella this year?
What's happening with the senior team over the Summer? I heard that they are going to America for three months. Is that true?

Great forum!

chick
05/05/2009, 7:49 PM
Anyone hear the results from the St Francis and Catherines games?

Welcome monkeygun and the one! :p

Full results from 2nd round AFAIK

St. Francis FC 2-1 (Aet)? Templeogue United
Raheny United 3-0 Mayo Women’s League
Galway Ladies 2-3 (Aet) St. Catherine’s LFC
Wilton United AFC 1-2 Peamount United
Cork League (W/O) V Roscommon East Galway
Monaghan United Ladies 1-5 Lifford Ladies
Stella Maris FC 2-0 Limerick Ladies FC
Aisling Annacotty AFC 3-3 Limerick Desmonds (Limerick Desmonds win on pens)

Round 3 - Quarter finals: to be played weekending 31st May

St. Francis FC V Raheny United
St. Catherine’s LFC V Lifford Ladies
Limerick Desmonds V Cork Women’s & Schoolgirls Soccer League
Stella Maris FC V Peamount United

G.L.F.C
05/05/2009, 9:27 PM
Can St.Francis repeat the trick of last year. Must say I thought they were very good....who will challenge them for the cup this year????

When do they play in europe?

monkeygun
05/05/2009, 10:04 PM
Is that the official draw?

I'd say Lifford and Cats would be a great match,

2 lots of Dublin quarters, that cud be interesting>>>

The One
06/05/2009, 5:40 AM
Francis at home again!........hmmmm

Lifford looking strong so far this season.....scored five and conceded none in cup. How did the Annacotty - Lifford game go on Monday night?

Anyone seen Raheny lately?

Predictions:

Francis, Lifford, Limerick, Peamount

chick
06/05/2009, 6:27 PM
Is that the official draw?

I'd say Lifford and Cats would be a great match,

2 lots of Dublin quarters, that cud be interesting>>>

Yes that is the official draw.
I think Lifford will beat Cats with goals to spare.
It is hard to judge the standard of Limerick Desmonds and Cork League, considering they have both only played once, and only won aet/on pens. I think whoever the winner of their match meets in the semis will make it through to the final.
I think Stella will cause an upset.

My final four predictions -
Raheny, Lifford, Limerick Desmonds, Stella Maris.

chick
06/05/2009, 6:28 PM
What's happening with the senior team over the Summer? I heard that they are going to America for three months. Is that true?

I had heard something in passing about that a while back but heard nothing more recently.

LmkSnr
06/05/2009, 7:18 PM
wow. aisling let me down for my predication got seven out of eight.

(1)i think we get league teams out of irish cup and leave them in a league but have irish cups for clubs.

(2)the cost of running teams at club or county level is now very high and more and more clubs both men and women are no longer around.

(3)I dont take the point that dublin dont have enough players to play in irish cups all it takes 11 to play.

Think the national league will come down to commitment and cost.But the problem is
do the league teams have enough talent .Most senior clubs in the country want
grow and get stronger and wont want to supply league teams with players.ultimate goal
has to be more senior clubs rather than league teams,

munsterman
06/05/2009, 11:13 PM
Why the negativity towards league teams? Some Dublin clubs are strong enough to compete at high level and fair dues to them but most clubs outside Dublin are not. I think it makes sense that the best players in the clubs within a league would come together to form stronger teams that can compete with the strong senior clubs. Some leagues have done very well in the senior cup. And if we had no league teams, i think i'm correct in saying we wouldn't have got our best result in Europe to date?
Mayo and Galway have doen exceptionally well in the national cup and i think Cork have reached the semi final 4 times in 6 years. If these teams were not in the Cup a wealth of talent would not be in the cup because thir club teams are not strong enough. I think there was about 4 weeks notice of senior cup dates given (it's much earlier this year) and as league teams have to run trials etc it caught a couple off guard. I think this is the reason Roscommon had to pull out as there league doesn't start until this month. I'm not saying every league is competitive but the bigger leagues have added to the cup as far as I'm concerned and I hope they continue to do so and I hope a couple of them will be in the national league. Which brings me to my next point.
Noel King was in Cork recently and spoke about the National league. It will start in october take a christmas break and finish in early march. He wants 8 teams but 6 is the minimum for the first season. I think it is the right time to have it too as players are already playing local league and national cup games in summer, this will allow the best players to play for about 9 months of the year rather than just four or five.
And he is bringing the senior squad to Indiana for thirteen weeks in the summer. They will train full time while they are over there and have 5 matches lined up against LA Sol, Boston Breakers, Chicago Red Stars, Argentina and Mexico. And according to King this is costing less than going to the Algarve Cup for two weeks because Indiana FC who are hosting them are getting the games sponsored and are hoping to make a profit on the attendances at the games so they are subsidising the cost of the Irish team going

libero4
07/05/2009, 10:58 AM
Lifford drawn away for third time in senior cup.
Was talking to ex Lifford manager last night. He said that in every draw this year in National cups (7 in all) Lifford have been drawn away from home.
I said that over a period of time these things even themselves out. He said that in over 20 years he was involved the ratio of home to away draws was almost 3 to 1 in favour of away draws. He said that Lifford were used to being on the road but the worst part was the time and expense involved.
Some teams are very lucky with the draws.
Imagine St. Francis getting 3 games out of Dublin.
Cork league should comfortably reach semis again.

37Beour
07/05/2009, 11:16 AM

Lifford looking strong so far this season.....scored five and conceded none in cup. How did the Annacotty - Lifford game go on Monday night?

Predictions:

Game called off because Annacotty couldn't field a team through injuries from Senior Cup game and UL exams and I think there was some subject for Leaving Cert on this week as well.....students!!:p

37Beour
07/05/2009, 11:20 AM
Lifford drawn away for third time in senior cup.
Was talking to ex Lifford manager last night. He said that in every draw this year in National cups (7 in all) Lifford have been drawn away from home.
I said that over a period of time these things even themselves out. He said that in over 20 years he was involved the ratio of home to away draws was almost 3 to 1 in favour of away draws. He said that Lifford were used to being on the road but the worst part was the time and expense involved.
Some teams are very lucky with the draws.
Imagine St. Francis getting 3 games out of Dublin.
Cork league should comfortably reach semis again.

I don't think Cork will find it that comfortable to get through, haven't they lost two main players to Wilton? A centre midfielder and a their good centre half? I think Limerick Desmond could surprise them, very physical, great work ethic and they might not be the best footballing team in it but they def know how to play!

apalachee
07/05/2009, 2:59 PM

Predictions:

I saw the Raheny v Mayo game on Sunday. The match was scheduled for St Anne's but was switched to the artificial surface at the Oscar Traynor complex. With a strong wind behind them in the first half Raheny were all over an unsettled looking Mayo team but had been held scoreless by half time. Raheny scored early in the second half and after that Mayo picked up their game while never really looking like the were firing on all cylinders. for a long period in the second half they failed to capitaise on the strong wind in their backs and but in the last quarter Mayo were pressing hard and came close with less than 15 minutes to go with a close range shot from Irish U-17 international midfielder Maria Harrington skimming just inches over the bar. Raheny scored two in the dying minutes of the game. The third was a penalty when the Mayo keeper was red carded for pulling down a Raheny striker in front of the goal. Raheny for the most part looked fit and well organised and while perhaps flattered by this scoreline I suspect they will be no pushover for St Francis. Incidentally it seemed very unsatisfactory that the game was played on the artificial surface given the predominantly dry weather in few days ahead of the match.