PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Tribune on Last Leg

Boh_So_Good
15/02/2009, 2:04 PM
Was just talking to a advertising friend who told me that the Sunday Tribune is on the verge of collasping due to loss of advertising revenue and falling readership.

SunderIreland - DELETED
Sunday Tribune - DELETED
League of Ireland - STILL HERE

rebus2008
15/02/2009, 4:19 PM
Used to read it, gave upo when Diarmiud Doyle became editor. Poisonous individual. While I'd feel bad for those who will lose their jobs, his presence on the dole q wouldn't cause me a 2nd thought to say the least. An example of shockingly low standards and balance in some quarters of journalism.

Came across it a few weeks ago in a friends...full page article on nude cleaning service up north...low grade stuff.

eelmonster
15/02/2009, 4:23 PM
Came across it a few weeks ago in a friends...

...full page article on nude cleaning service up north...

Hmm. Low grade stuff.

rebus2008
15/02/2009, 4:50 PM
Hmm. Low grade stuff.

Thanks for your support on my moral crusade:D

pineapple stu
15/02/2009, 5:49 PM
Came across it a few weeks ago

...full page article on nude cleaning service up north
Did the latter cause the former?

elroy
16/02/2009, 8:14 AM
However bad it is, its still better than the Sindo with their life magazine. Sweet jesus. May as well be the Rosanna Davidson and Krystale friends magazine.

MyTown
16/02/2009, 8:51 AM
I'm probably older than the average poster on here, but I liked the Tribune. It went belly up before & came back, but the on-line revolution has got all the broadsheets under the cosh.

I thought it had a female editor now - didn't realise that Kilkenny City & Leeds United supporter Diarmuid Doyle had got the top job.

Matt Cooper did a great job when he was in charge & in fariness their sports coverage improved a lot in recent years.

Honourable mention to Miguel Delany who at least recognised the existence of a senior semi-professional league in this country & wrote some good pieces about it since he went to Baggot street.

I loved the year ender- mind bender sports crossword. Maybe too many cricket clues for a west of Ireland head like me, but a good bout of sporting mental gymnastics all the same.

For me, The Tribune wasn't an essential read, but it was the only genuinely native anti dote to the Sunday slush dished out from UK titles and the dominant Irish one

Jinxy
16/02/2009, 10:02 AM
I'm probably older than the average poster on here, but I liked the Tribune. It went belly up before & came back, but the on-line revolution has got all the broadsheets under the cosh.

I thought it had a female editor now - didn't realise that Kilkenny City & Leeds United & GAA supporter Diarmuid Doyle had got the top job.

Matt Cooper did a great job when he was in charge & in fariness their sports coverage improved a lot in recent years.

Honourable mention to Miguel Delany who at least recognised the existence of a senior semi-professional league in this country & wrote some good pieces about it since he went to Baggot street.

I loved the year ender- mind bender sports crossword. Maybe too many cricket clues for a west of Ireland head like me, but a good bout of sporting mental gymnastics all the same.

For me, The Tribune wasn't an essential read, but it was the only genuinely native anti dote to the Sunday slush dished out from UK titles and the dominant Irish one

:eek::D

Macy
16/02/2009, 11:50 AM
I used to buy it every week. It really dumbed down since Cooper left, but that's more to do with cuts and some of the people that were put in as editor as much as Cooper going. It also lost all credibility once INM started to take more direct control.

pete
16/02/2009, 12:28 PM
I used to read it years ago although obviously not for the sports. It seems to do better when the Independent had more control but also less readable.

With so few Irish newspapers especially the Sunday versions I wouldn't take glee in any of them shutting down. You can;t really include the tabloids as newspapers unless celeb stuff counts.

fergalr
16/02/2009, 12:51 PM
As discussed on several other threads over the years, the turbine is an unashamedly anti-LOI rag. Whatever about its qualities in other areas, nobody who has an interest in domestic football will miss its demise.

WoodquayBoy
18/02/2009, 10:44 AM
Ex Irish Indo scribbler PJ Cunningham is the sports ed, so surely the attitude towards the league comes from him and not the paper's editor or Doyle?

BohDiddley
18/02/2009, 11:42 AM
The Tribune has been in parts a decent addition to the Sunday mix, but it has never had much time for LoI.
Steadfastly refuses to run match reports but has been more than happy to run down the league - witness recent biased reporting re so-called hooliganism. It also once ran a piece by the editor saying the league would never compete with EPL and should give up. (I lost this, found it again, and have lost it again, so if anyone can pin it down for historical purposes I'd appreciate it.)
An odd policy for a newspaper that should have been looking to cater for local interests, even niche ones, and differentiate itself from the Sunday Times etc.

Mark
18/02/2009, 1:19 PM
i have to say that i've spoken to pj once or twice and he seems allright.
however many of the lads in my dcu class had reason to contact the paper of the years and never got through or even got a reply.

it noticble tht they dont cover the league but then run it down with nasty comments. - its ironic that the one sunday paper that ignores the league is the one that is in trouble.

i remember they did the 50 best sports photos of the year for 07 and had no loi but had a pic of the sunderland friendly with galway with wesley strangling a sunderland player. - no cork fai cup snap/no pats in europe/no drogs wining title but a photo of a freindly with an englsih team.

Straightstory
18/02/2009, 2:11 PM
A horrible, hideous rag. Hated the LOI. I'l be absolutely thrilled if it goes - but I suspect it will hang on.