Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Sunday Tribune on Last Leg

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sunday Tribune on Last Leg

Was just talking to a advertising friend who told me that the Sunday Tribune is on the verge of collasping due to loss of advertising revenue and falling readership.

SunderIreland - DELETED
    Sunday Tribune - DELETED
    League of Ireland - STILL HERE

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Used to read it, gave upo when Diarmiud Doyle became editor. Poisonous individual. While I'd feel bad for those who will lose their jobs, his presence on the dole q wouldn't cause me a 2nd thought to say the least. An example of shockingly low standards and balance in some quarters of journalism.

Came across it a few weeks ago in a friends...full page article on nude cleaning service up north...low grade stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebus2008 View Post
    Came across it a few weeks ago in a friends...
    ...full page article on nude cleaning service up north...
    Hmm. Low grade stuff.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eelmonster View Post
    Hmm. Low grade stuff.
    Thanks for your support on my moral crusade

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,351 Posts
    Came across it a few weeks ago
    Quote Originally Posted by rebus2008
    ...full page article on nude cleaning service up north
    Did the latter cause the former?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    However bad it is, its still better than the Sindo with their life magazine. Sweet jesus. May as well be the Rosanna Davidson and Krystale friends magazine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'm probably older than the average poster on here, but I liked the Tribune. It went belly up before & came back, but the on-line revolution has got all the broadsheets under the cosh.

I thought it had a female editor now - didn't realise that Kilkenny City & Leeds United supporter Diarmuid Doyle had got the top job.

Matt Cooper did a great job when he was in charge & in fariness their sports coverage improved a lot in recent years.

Honourable mention to Miguel Delany who at least recognised the existence of a senior semi-professional league in this country & wrote some good pieces about it since he went to Baggot street.

I loved the year ender- mind bender sports crossword. Maybe too many cricket clues for a west of Ireland head like me, but a good bout of sporting mental gymnastics all the same.

For me, The Tribune wasn't an essential read, but it was the only genuinely native anti dote to the Sunday slush dished out from UK titles and the dominant Irish one
    Less Whining
    Less Moaning

What are YOU doing to make it better?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTown View Post
    I'm probably older than the average poster on here, but I liked the Tribune. It went belly up before & came back, but the on-line revolution has got all the broadsheets under the cosh.

I thought it had a female editor now - didn't realise that Kilkenny City & Leeds United & GAA supporter Diarmuid Doyle had got the top job.

Matt Cooper did a great job when he was in charge & in fariness their sports coverage improved a lot in recent years.

Honourable mention to Miguel Delany who at least recognised the existence of a senior semi-professional league in this country & wrote some good pieces about it since he went to Baggot street.

I loved the year ender- mind bender sports crossword. Maybe too many cricket clues for a west of Ireland head like me, but a good bout of sporting mental gymnastics all the same.

For me, The Tribune wasn't an essential read, but it was the only genuinely native anti dote to the Sunday slush dished out from UK titles and the dominant Irish one

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I used to buy it every week. It really dumbed down since Cooper left, but that's more to do with cuts and some of the people that were put in as editor as much as Cooper going. It also lost all credibility once INM started to take more direct control.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I used to read it years ago although obviously not for the sports. It seems to do better when the Independent had more control but also less readable.

With so few Irish newspapers especially the Sunday versions I wouldn't take glee in any of them shutting down. You can;t really include the tabloids as newspapers unless celeb stuff counts.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As discussed on several other threads over the years, the turbine is an unashamedly anti-LOI rag. Whatever about its qualities in other areas, nobody who has an interest in domestic football will miss its demise.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Ex Irish Indo scribbler PJ Cunningham is the sports ed, so surely the attitude towards the league comes from him and not the paper's editor or Doyle?
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Tribune has been in parts a decent addition to the Sunday mix, but it has never had much time for LoI.
    Steadfastly refuses to run match reports but has been more than happy to run down the league - witness recent biased reporting re so-called hooliganism. It also once ran a piece by the editor saying the league would never compete with EPL and should give up. (I lost this, found it again, and have lost it again, so if anyone can pin it down for historical purposes I'd appreciate it.)
    An odd policy for a newspaper that should have been looking to cater for local interests, even niche ones, and differentiate itself from the Sunday Times etc.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    i have to say that i've spoken to pj once or twice and he seems allright.
    however many of the lads in my dcu class had reason to contact the paper of the years and never got through or even got a reply.

it noticble tht they dont cover the league but then run it down with nasty comments. - its ironic that the one sunday paper that ignores the league is the one that is in trouble.

i remember they did the 50 best sports photos of the year for 07 and had no loi but had a pic of the sunderland friendly with galway with wesley strangling a sunderland player. - no cork fai cup snap/no pats in europe/no drogs wining title but a photo of a freindly with an englsih team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    A horrible, hideous rag. Hated the LOI. I'l be absolutely thrilled if it goes - but I suspect it will hang on.