PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup 09

Pages : [1] 2

Flexy
29/12/2008, 3:04 PM
Any news on this? Is it happening and when will the draw be made, usually they have a date for the draw by this time of year

paudie
29/12/2008, 8:26 PM
I think it's happening . Not sure about draw dates.

sligoman
29/12/2008, 9:35 PM
It's happening afaik. Games will be played on weekends, every 4th weekend iirc.

adamd164
29/12/2008, 10:06 PM
Yep. 9 teams this year with 3 groups of 3, everyone plays home and away. The changes were announced a couple of months back.

Far as I remember, it's the 3 group winners and best runner up go into the semis then.

There'll be 5 LOI teams and 4 NI teams because we got the holder's spot.

Bohemians
Cork City (qualifying for the 5th successive year ;) )
Derry City
St Pats
And I presume Sligo Rovers? Not sure on who the last team is.

EDIT: here ya go: http://www.eircomloi.ie/news-centre/news-1/2008/august/news-55/

Rovers1
29/12/2008, 10:30 PM
And I presume Sligo Rovers? Not sure on who the last team is.

yep its us, although it says on that link there'll be a playoff between a LOI and IL team, does this applying for the 09 tournament?

adamd164
29/12/2008, 10:35 PM
yep its us, although it says on that link there'll be a playoff between a LOI and IL team, does this applying for the 09 tournament?
No, it says that if the holders have already qualified there's a playoff for the other spot. Since we didn't finish in top 2 or reach cup final then I assume ye will get it automatically through finishing 4th, with the 3 above ye already qualified. That seems fair.

David
30/12/2008, 1:59 PM
No doubt with three team groups that will mean Linfield, Glens and Derry in together yet again. Preferred group for me would be Linfield, Bohs and Cork. Have always wanted the trip to Cork and would be great to get the chance to return the great hospitality that Bohs have shown us on our trips to Dublin.

Flexy
30/12/2008, 3:11 PM
No doubt with three team groups that will mean Linfield, Glens and Derry in together yet again. Preferred group for me would be Linfield, Bohs and Cork. Have always wanted the trip to Cork and would be great to get the chance to return the great hospitality that Bohs have shown us on our trips to Dublin.
Ideal draw for Derry would be Coleraine and Sligo in the one group not much travelling then

BohDiddley
30/12/2008, 5:53 PM
Setanta Cup finally comes of age as Bohemian FC gets to play ;)

Would love to get Linfield also.

sonofstan
30/12/2008, 8:41 PM
Mad system - 3 groups to go into semi- finals?!

Presumably there will be two groups with 2 LoI/1 IL and one group with 2 IL/ 1 LoI - which means we could get the tranfixing possibility of Sligo and Dungannon or something......

David
31/12/2008, 8:37 AM
Setanta Cup finally comes of age as Bohemian FC gets to play ;)

Would love to get Linfield also.

About time you lot joined the party. :p Seriously though was delighted to see you make it at last and would love to be drawn against you. Have a feeling though that security would then try and stop us going to the Dalymount social club.

Dodge
31/12/2008, 9:17 AM
I'd assume that LOI and IL winners are seeded. Probably with Cork as holders.

Where did you hear that weekend thing sligoman?

sonofstan
31/12/2008, 9:23 AM
Who are the 4 IL teams?

Not Brazil
31/12/2008, 10:01 AM
would be great to get the chance to return the great hospitality that Bohs have shown us on our trips to Dublin.

I would second that.

The hospitality afforded by Bohs to Blues fans has been fantastic.

Not Brazil
31/12/2008, 10:03 AM
Who are the 4 IL teams?

Linfield, Glentoran, Cliftonville and Coleraine - I think.

BohDiddley
31/12/2008, 6:45 PM
About time you lot joined the party. :p Seriously though was delighted to see you make it at last and would love to be drawn against you. Have a feeling though that security would then try and stop us going to the Dalymount social club.
Given the Garda's preposterous claim we take more to police than the whole of Croke Park, I'd say the chances of that happening would be slim all right. But it would be a great night in Dalymount nevertheless.

sonofstan
31/12/2008, 7:05 PM
If champions are seeded we're not going to get Linfield, right?

sligoman
31/12/2008, 7:37 PM
Where did you hear that weekend thing sligoman?John Delaney said it at Rovers end of season function.

brianw82
01/01/2009, 1:04 PM
John Delaney said it at Rovers end of season function.

If John Delaney told me I had two legs I'd still look down to check.

sligofan4ever
01/01/2009, 4:16 PM
if john delaney told me i had two legs i'd still look down to check.

potm. :D

sligoman
01/01/2009, 6:12 PM
potm. :DI suggest you watch more comedy.

RĂ©iteoir
01/01/2009, 6:38 PM
If champions are seeded we're not going to get Linfield, right?

Just have to do it before the Final then...

David
02/01/2009, 10:58 AM
I have heard that the 2009 competition does not start until August.

dortie
03/01/2009, 3:58 PM
Fed up of Linfield and Glentoran, would prefer Cliftonville and Bohs this time around.

HarpoJoyce
03/01/2009, 4:27 PM
Fed up of Linfield and Glentoran, would prefer Cliftonville and Bohs this time around.

Do you think the 'normality' of the competition is working.
One of the hoped-for medium term benefits of the tournament.

Flexy
03/01/2009, 6:47 PM
Christ August! is that because Linfield players are still on holiday until just before then, and after their Youth team have been knocked out of europe again in the first round while our teams are still in the competition: Crap decision again

A face
03/01/2009, 9:24 PM

Disaster if its true and IL clubs will get whipped, LOI will destroy them.

Aaron
04/01/2009, 6:35 PM
Disaster if its true and IL clubs will get whipped, LOI will destroy them.

Well they bitched when the competition started in March when the LOI season started, saying the LOI teams would be alot fresher. They bitched when it was divided so that 3 games are played when the LOI starts in March and the IL starts in April, now its changed again so they are played when IL season stats. Dont see any bitching from LOI clubs.

dcfcsteve
04/01/2009, 8:28 PM
It's 'rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic' stuff people.

IL teams will still be outclassed in the Setanta, with the honourable exception of at most one team every year, no matter when it's played. Becaiuse there is a gulf in standards.

Though it will be interesting to see if the financial problems in the EL cause that gap to narrow at all in the coming seasons.

brianw82
04/01/2009, 8:48 PM
Though it will be interesting to see if the financial problems in the EL cause that gap to narrow at all in the coming seasons.

I would think that it'll be more competitive this year, due to that fact.

HarpoJoyce
05/01/2009, 3:51 PM
It's 'rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic' stuff people.

IL teams will still be outclassed in the Setanta, with the honourable exception of at most one team every year, no matter when it's played. Becaiuse there is a gulf in standards.

We hear this......... and then there is another LoI - IL Final. So we don't hear it, until we hear it again.

dcfcsteve
06/01/2009, 9:02 AM
We hear this......... and then there is another LoI - IL Final. So we don't hear it, until we hear it again.

Well if you'd heard the bit about there being one good IL team every year - which is all there has been to-date - rather than just hear the bit you wanted to hear, then you'd have heard enough for us not to need to hear the above again.

D'ya hear me....?

:D

HarpoJoyce
06/01/2009, 9:13 AM
D'ya hear me....?

:D

I understand your point better. Thanks.

dcfcsteve
06/01/2009, 12:28 PM
I understand your point better. Thanks.

So speaking slowly and loudly at foreigners DOES work after all.....!?!

:p

Graemerz
06/01/2009, 12:53 PM
Blues
C'raine
Sligo

Bohs
Glens
Pats

Derry
Cork
Reds

That would do. Ta. :)

LukeO
07/01/2009, 12:35 AM

From today's (well, yesterday's at this stage) Irish Sun:

EXCLUSIVE NEIL O'RIORDAN

THE Setanta Sports Cup has been shelved until autumn, SunSport has learned.

The competition's organisers are awaiting approval from sponsors Setanta for the opening games to take place at the end of August with the final in May 2010.

That will be a full EIGHTEEN MONTHS after the most recent decider, which saw Cork City defeat Glentoran at Turner's Cross.

And it will mean Irish League clubs will be kicking off a competition which they qualified for at least 15 months previously -as its representatives gain entry from their exploits in the 2007/08 season.

It had already been decided that the number of participating clubs would be increased to nine, with Bohemians and Coleraine competing for the first time.

It is now being proposed that the semi-finals will be played on a home and away basis.

It is yet another revamp for the tournament which began in 2005, 25 years after the most recent cross-border competition was staged.

But Milo Corcoran, chairman of the Setanta Sports Cup organising committee, insists the latest changes will enhance rather than damage its reputation.

Corcoran said: "We have submitted provisional dates to Setanta for their approval and we are expecting them to come back to us before the end of the month.

We are looking to run it between August of this year and May 2010.

"We figure that this will be suitable for both the FAI and IFA clubs.

We think the format is a good one because in our submission we have suggested some weekend dates to give it a bigger profile.

In previous years, the schedule has been a bit rushed and there was no leeway to refix games but there would be a little more room for manoeuvre this way."

The competition is likely to be split in two so it is not played in the League of Ireland close-season between November and March.

With the League of Ireland operating off a summer season and the Irish League played over a traditional winter season, scheduling has been a problem from the start.

Northern clubs were seen to have an advantage in the opening games as their southern counterparts did not have any competitive action under their belts.

But by the time it reached the knockout stages, it was seen as interfering with the Irish League season climax.

The organisers moved to ease fixture congestion last year with the competition broken up between spring and autumn, but it was felt that the five-month gap in between meant it lost its momentum.

And the Glens were furious that Cork had home advantage for the decider.

While the final venue alternates between the two associations where possible, the east Belfast club could not understand why a Dublin stadium was not used. Their annoyance was worsened by the fact that the St Anne's Road end of Turner's Cross could not be used because of a delay in the construction of a roof.

That left hundreds of Glentoran fans unable to attend, prompting club chairman Aubry Ralph to call for Corcoran and fellow committee member Michael Hayes to resign.

Both Glentoran and Linfield threatened to withdraw from the competition if their concerns were not listened to.

Since then, Ralph has replaced Portadown director Bobby Jameson as the Irish League's representative on the committee.

CLUBS PARTICIPATING IN 2009/10 SETANTA SPORTS CUP: Cork City (holders); Bohemians (League of Ireland champions); St Patrick's Athletic (League of Ireland runners-up); Derry City (League of Ireland third-placed side); Sligo Rovers (League of Ireland fourth-placed side (as FAI Cup finalists Bohs and Derry had already qualified); Linfield (Irish League champions); Glentoran (Irish League runners-up); Cliftonville (Irish League third-placed team); Coleraine (Irish Cup runners-up).
n.o'riordan@the-sun.ie

Rory H
07/01/2009, 12:01 PM
What a joke...

Heliodorus
07/01/2009, 12:12 PM
What a joke...

It looks to me like the Setanta Cup is going the way of all previous cross border competitions. Now that the BBC have got F1 it might be time for me to get rid of Setanta for a bit.

holidaysong
07/01/2009, 12:48 PM
It looks to me like the Setanta Cup is going the way of all previous cross border competitions. Now that the BBC have got F1 it might be time for me to get rid of Setanta for a bit.

Setanta F1 coverage is terrible.. ITV was much better.

Red&White Rover
07/01/2009, 1:23 PM
be surprised if It goes ahead...

dublinred
07/01/2009, 1:29 PM
Sounds like a bit of a joke , you play one series of games with your 2009 squad and finish it off the following season with your 2010 squad*

* Assuming you are still around in 2010

Mr A
07/01/2009, 1:40 PM
So assuming players will be allowed to play for clubs in the second half of it, you could see a player scoring an own goal in the first games that benefits the club he plays for in the second section :)

Rovers1
07/01/2009, 3:02 PM
quite annoying alright, but, it is fairer on the IFA teams this time.

holidaysong
07/01/2009, 9:01 PM
Sounds like a bit of a joke , you play one series of games with your 2009 squad and finish it off the following season with your 2010 squad*

The Irish League clubs had the same problem in the 2008 competition.. Hard to find the perfect format with the two leagues being scheduled differently..

Inside Man
07/01/2009, 9:10 PM
It will all be sorted once this league realises it must move back to winter football if it wants to survive. Everything is pointing for this league to move back to winter football.
I hope your wrong Red&WhiteRover because we seriously could do with the benefits this cup will give us for the season: more gates, higher advertising, etc.

dcfcsteve
07/01/2009, 9:19 PM
Everything is pointing for this league to move back to winter football.

? :confused:

The weather......? :eek:

thischarmingman
11/01/2009, 3:53 PM

Brilliant. Of all the tortuous, labyrinthine messes this league has gotten itself into, even the Shels demotion/Dublin City/Cork administration controversies would be mere molehills in comparision to the international wranglings that ensue if a club went bust mid-Setanta Cup. Would they be replaced? And by a team from which association? Or just give 3 points to whoever has yet to play them? Or to everyone who has played them so far? What about if they come back under a different name a la Limerick 37? It would be like Dublin Citygate all over again but elevated to a diplomatic incident.

A wonderful new chapter in the best soap-opera in football may soon be upon us.

belfastred
13/02/2009, 1:27 PM
Is there any more detail on the Setanta Cup

Is the competition still going ahead?

adamd164
13/02/2009, 1:58 PM
You could try reading the thread instead of just replying expecting someone to fill you in personally.

Dodge
13/02/2009, 2:08 PM
You could try reading the thread instead of just replying expecting someone to fill you in personally.

Thread doesn't really answer his query though as there has been no official announcement.