PDA

View Full Version : Recall notice for Irish pork products

Pages : [1] 2

Ringo
06/12/2008, 9:03 PM
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland has ordered the withdrawal and recall of all Irish pork products dating back to 1 September.

Totally shocked by this, as homer would say this magical animal is so important. have to come up ith an excuse for the kids in the morning, why there is no sausages.

Lionel Ritchie
06/12/2008, 9:08 PM
Well the recall dates back to products processed since September 1st so they're just trying to cover their asses at this stage. It's fair to assume an amount of tainted pork products have already been consumed.

soccerc
06/12/2008, 9:40 PM
Have a few hundred euro worth of (irish) pork products in the freezer.

Who is going to reimburse me?

Ringo
07/12/2008, 5:34 AM
http://www.fsai.ie/news/press/pr_08/pr20081206.asp

Recall of Irish Pork and Bacon Product
06 December 2008

The Government today announced that laboratory results of animal feed and pork fat samples obtained this afternoon by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) confirmed the presence of dioxins.

Consequently, the FSAI is requiring the food industry to recall from the market all Irish pork products produced from pigs slaughtered in Ireland.

This recall involves retailers, the hospitality sector and the Irish pig processing sector. Preliminary evidence indicates that the contamination problem is likely to have started in September 2008.

The FSAI is advising consumers, as a precautionary measure, not to consume Irish pork and bacon products at this time. Investigations involving the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (DAFF) and the FSAI are continuing to determine the extent of the contamination and to identify the processors and products involved.

The FSAI and DAFF will provide updates as information becomes available.

-ENDS-

Note for Editors

Dioxins are environmental contaminants that may be formed during combustion processes and may be present in industrial wastes. It is illegal for dioxins at certain levels to be in food products.

Last updated: 06/12/2008

beautifulrock
07/12/2008, 10:03 AM
Eat away it wont do you any harm, well no more than your standard cheap sausage anyway

Battery Rover
07/12/2008, 11:13 AM

Was thinking that myself. I bought a full animal last week to save money and have it all in the freezer.

I really hope this doesn't spread to the sheep market or I will have the loss of two of them as well.

At least I know our own cattle are grass fed and are totally safe if it does spread to that market.

Time to buy a few pigs and rear them for food with all these scares going round.

pete
07/12/2008, 5:19 PM
Eat away it wont do you any harm, well no more than your standard cheap sausage anyway

Sure cheap sausages mostly non-pork anyway.

Apparently they knew about since Monday but were only able to confirm today. Yet while they have been able to confirm they have not finished their investigations. Why did they not make this announcement last Monday? :confused:

People burn rubbish including tyres & don't seem to be too concerned with dioxins then. I think almost every health scare in modern times has turned out to be nothing. There were predictions of huge numbers of people getting human BSE but nothing happened.

I presume the pork producers will be looking for government handouts now?

strangeirish
07/12/2008, 6:45 PM
When I saw the headline, I thought Mary Harney went on another trip to Florida.

gilberto_eire
07/12/2008, 10:59 PM

Hardly appropriate to make jokes about peoples weight!!. What has Mrs.Harney ever done to your personally?

strangeirish
07/12/2008, 11:40 PM
Hardly appropriate to make jokes about peoples weight!!. What has Mrs.Harney ever done to your personally?The comment was with regard to spending, but thanks for policing the internet man. Will recommend you for a raise.

Ringo
08/12/2008, 6:11 AM
CONSUMERS could yet be forced to pay the price for buying contaminated product, as retailers were slow to outline their returns policy last night.http://www.independent.ie/national-news/retailers-slow-to-promise-refunds-for-recalled-items-1566899.html
Its very unfair for the consumer to have to just dump the products. how mant people keep their reciepts for their supermarket shop.

noby
08/12/2008, 7:37 AM
I spoke with someone in the industry on Saturday night. He basically summed it up like this:
"Will I say that all pork products are safe? No. (why should I put my neck on the line)"
"Will I be throwing out my pork products? Hell no. I'm looking forward to my fry up in the morning."

Which basically sums it up. One of the Northern ministers was on the BBC, and when asked was it an over-reaction basically said that they have to be seen to be reacting, just in case. Three weeks before Christmas, and every ham in the country to be binned - it's going to be a nightmare for butchers and consumers alike. I guess we'll all be eating three-week old piglets for Christmas dinner.
Anyway, I enjoyed my pork belly yesterday.

OneRedArmy
08/12/2008, 8:22 AM
One of the main reasons the authorities have to be seen to be acting tough is because we didn't discover the problems in Ireland. And that is much more worrying than what appears to be a fairly minimal dioxin issue.

Local cafe in Donegal was still serving sausages and rashers yesterday morning too.

I'm still trying to work out how to reconcile what we've been told by the FSAI:
1) destroy all pork products
2) if you've eaten them, don't worry, there will be no negative effect on you

noby
08/12/2008, 8:31 AM
One of the main reasons the authorities have to be seen to be acting tough is because we didn't discover the problems in Ireland.

Only because they were sent to the UK for further analysis as we don't have the facilities here - or at least that's my understanding.

And yes, the message given out is a bit muddied. Newspapers are jumping on the "DIOXINS=CANCER" line. Then if you ask about the pork you ate since September, the reaction is 'Ah, you'll be grand'.

I guess if the pork that was pulled form the shelves can be quickly tested, and given the all-clear they could have the shelves re-stocked by the end of the week.

Ash
08/12/2008, 9:04 AM

Dunnes (in Athlone anyway) were giving refunds over the weekend, no reciept needed apparently!!!

Battery Rover
08/12/2008, 9:47 AM
Dunnes (in Athlone anyway) were giving refunds over the weekend, no reciept needed apparently!!!

Yes but they were the same as Tesco only giving refunds on own brand as far as I know

pete
08/12/2008, 10:04 AM
Did not take long for pork producers to look for their handout. Click (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/1208/breaking19.htm)

Irish pork producers are facing a €100 million bill to recall all pork products made from pigs slaughtered in the country after tests confirmed some meat contained dioxins.

Seems to be be a bit of a stretch to suggest oil fumes could add dioxins into pig feed? I suppose we now know pigs eat chocolate & biscuits. No wonder they so fat :p

THE USE of oil at a recycling plant near Bunclody, Co Wexford, to recycle unused food into pig rations, is at the centre of the investigation into the source of contaminated pork products.

Stale bread, out-of-date biscuits, chocolate and dough from feed plants are heated and turned into food for animals at a number of plants in the country and it was during this process something went wrong.

noby
08/12/2008, 10:13 AM
Pigs would eat anything.
Oil fumes, or bread wrappers, are the most likely culprits at the moment.

Magicme
08/12/2008, 10:26 AM
At times like these I am glad I am a Veggie.

noby
08/12/2008, 12:46 PM
All smugness aside, you probably picked up more dioxins walking past a smoker than any pig eater did by eating the meat in question.

kingdom hoop
08/12/2008, 12:55 PM

Oh you swine!

Pigs would eat anything.

What piggish pigging-out!

Apologies for hogging the puns. :)

Wolfie
08/12/2008, 12:58 PM
"Gardaí have been asked to investigate how pigs in the country came to be contaminated with the potentially harmful dioxins".

An outrage and an affront to Democracy.

I demand an independent inquiry.

Why should the Gardai be allowed investigate themselves?

noby
08/12/2008, 1:03 PM
This is no time for ham-fisted puns.

kingdom hoop
08/12/2008, 1:03 PM
Why should the Gardai be allowed investigate themselves?

Yerrah they stick their snouts into everything.

kingdom hoop
08/12/2008, 1:04 PM
This is no time for ham-fisted puns.

I can think of rasher things I could be doing to be honest.

noby
08/12/2008, 1:06 PM
Someone's going to have their backside in the bacon slicer over this!

Magicme
08/12/2008, 1:43 PM
All smugness aside, you probably picked up more dioxins walking past a smoker than any pig eater did by eating the meat in question.

Not being smug. Just glad but also concerned as my kids eat meat. And smokers are evil.

bennocelt
08/12/2008, 1:48 PM
Was thinking that myself. I bought a full animal last week to save money and have it all in the freezer.

I really hope this doesn't spread to the sheep market or I will have the loss of two of them as well.

At least I know our own cattle are grass fed and are totally safe if it does spread to that market.

Time to buy a few pigs and rear them for food with all these scares going round.

well the rumour mill is in motion - a farm in Cavan was checked the other day for the quality of the beef - heard this twice last night:eek:
(could be rubbish though - probably)

anyway i am in my balls throwing out my rashers

tricky_colour
08/12/2008, 9:52 PM
The authorities have made a right pigs ear of it.

pete
08/12/2008, 11:19 PM
Excellent work by the government & their departments. Almost too many agencies involved in this to mention.

Minister Gormley on Q&A trying to defend why the Mill was not inspected in the 2008 calendar year. Tried to suggest that they were due an inspection soon. Unless department inspectors work Christmas week I find that very difficult to believe.

Bord Bia to replace their "quality assurance" with new labels.

http://exoticbiosolutions.com/DIOXIN%20FREE2.gif

Lim till i die
08/12/2008, 11:37 PM
smokers are evil.

But they die significantly younger so it's fair enough.

Hitler was a smoker but a vegetarian aswell.

More or less evil than me?? :)

John83
09/12/2008, 12:23 AM
But they die significantly younger so it's fair enough.

Hitler was a smoker but a vegetarian aswell.

More or less evil than me?? :)
Twice as evil surely. Obviously he gets points for the whole patriotism thing though.

tricky_colour
09/12/2008, 12:26 AM
Don't forget that the feed was fed to cattle too so the poisonous dioxins would be in milk and cheese because it builds up in fat.

Merry Xmas.

I guess I will stick to my safe diet of just beer ;)

Lim till i die
09/12/2008, 12:57 AM
Twice as evil surely. Obviously he gets points for the whole patriotism thing though.

But I'm as big an anti-semite as the next man. :(

Ringo
09/12/2008, 6:33 AM
Almost 1,400 people have been laid off in the pig processing industry following the pork recall.

The lay-offs known so far are: Rosderra Meats, 850 laid off at the company's Edenderry, Clara, Roscrea and Jamestown (Laois) plants, McCarren Meats, Cavan, 140 laid off, Feldhues Ltd, Clones, Co Monaghan, 50 laid off, Callan Bacon, Co Kilkenny, 79 laid off, and in Queally Pigs, Co Waterford, 30 workers were given a day's holiday today and no date for a return to work.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1208/pork.html
The real cost of all this starting to hit home. :(

Macy
09/12/2008, 7:43 AM
Excellent work by the government & their departments. Almost too many agencies involved in this to mention.
Harney's department again. Her list of achievements stretch all the way back to smokeless fuel in the 80's. Unfortunately they end there too.

We must have been lied to about the tracability, or why they need for a total withdrawal from the market? If they know the farms involved, they should've just withdrawn products from the affected farms, or possibly from the affected farms. Similarly, they should by this stage be able to release the other products. Are they worried about similar contamination?

When you see the sheds full of pigs, you'd have to think this is part of the price for such intensive farming methods. When they showed a farm on the news it was similar to standard chickens. We have to get back to more sustainable farming methods that don't rely so much on processed feeds.

noby
09/12/2008, 8:03 AM
I agree with your last paragraph.
The official line on the total recall was to give a clear message to consumers, and to be seen to be acting decisively. This from Trevor Sergeant, another minister with his finger in the pie. He was on Matt Cooper, who pushed him on the whole traceability thing - I mean what's the point of traceability when they just go for 100% recall when something like this happens?
So in their act of "being seen to be reacting" there are 1400 people out of a job a few weeks before Christmas. They could have recalled all sausage type products, where the source might be questionable, and all effected products, and the producers would still be working away today. Instead they've left the industry in a mess, and the producers have every right to go looking for compensation.

Pauro 76
09/12/2008, 9:31 AM
This from Trevor Sergeant, another minister with his finger in the pie. .

Was it a pork pie?

Ringo
09/12/2008, 11:45 AM
China becomes latest country to ban Irish pork

http://www.breakingnews.ie/print/mhidsnqlmhid/

The Chinese authorities announced today that they were recalling all Irish pork products imported since September 1.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2008_09_19/en/index.html

I know they have to, but this was the same country that allowed melamine into baby food:rolleyes:

dahamsta
09/12/2008, 11:50 AM
Hitler was a smoker but a vegetarian aswell.Actually he wasn't, or rather he quit and started one of the first anti-tobacco movements (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tobacco_movement_in_Nazi_Germany). Sorry for being nerdly, I just read read it the other day. :)

Which probably means that smoking is quite cool, and I'm extra evil cos I quit too!

adam

elroy
09/12/2008, 11:52 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1209/1228571687183.html?via=rel

Bit of sensationalism in the UK press, particularly the mirror...surely there is case to sue the Mirror over these sort of headlines, its out of order.

Macy
09/12/2008, 11:58 AM
Apparently the cattle tests have been "unfavourable" and they're going to have to take the affected herds out of the food chain (just on lunchtime on Newstalk)

ruben_sosa
09/12/2008, 12:08 PM
China becomes latest country to ban Irish pork

http://www.breakingnews.ie/print/mhidsnqlmhid/

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2008_09_19/en/index.html

I know they have to, but this was the same country that allowed melamine into baby food:rolleyes:

not to mention bird flu/sars.

Pauro 76
09/12/2008, 12:38 PM
http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1209/pork.html

Now beef as well? Jaysis knowing our luck, the turkey will be affected next. Ah well at least we've still the spuds.

Lim till i die
09/12/2008, 2:00 PM
Actually he wasn't, or rather he quit and started one of the first anti-tobacco movements (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tobacco_movement_in_Nazi_Germany). Sorry for being nerdly, I just read read it the other day. :)

Oh don't apologise.

Being a carniverous pack a day man has never felt so good. :)

L37Ultra
09/12/2008, 2:05 PM

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

Some Dodgy practices in the Agri business these days.

Dodge
09/12/2008, 2:17 PM
I wouldn't be too sure about that.

Some Dodgy practices in the Agri business these days.

Think he was talking about his own livestock as opposed to the country's

An organic pig farmer on the radio earlier. Making the point that all her meat 100% traceable and none fed by "compounds" She has customers asking when can she sell the stuff. She made the point that Trevor Sargent has championed the organic food sector in the past but failed to make the distinction this time.

pete
09/12/2008, 3:00 PM
So beef is contaminated but it is safe to eat & no need to withdraw. Pork contamination is worse but safe to eat & needs to be withdrawn. :rolleyes:

Clearly the traceability system is a mess. Apparently they can trace individual cuts of meat but for items such as sausages they can only trace to processor where it all gets mixed in together. That is a partial tracing system.

Italy had a similar scare with Mozzarella cheese. They banned exports from Italy while they sourced the problem. I feel the Irish government have handled this very badly & other countries particularly those outside the EU will use this as an excuse to ban Irish imports. Lets face the IFA & Irish government would do the same thing to say Brazilian beef.

This is a great example of State bureaucracy. The Dept of Agriculture run the tracing system? EPA gives licence to feed producer alongside local authority. FSA decides if food is safe? Dept of Health does...? Dept of Environment oversees the EPA? Who is in charge? :confused:

Could this be the straw that leads to government collapse?

OneRedArmy
09/12/2008, 3:42 PM
I wonder will this be yet another case of the Teflon civil servants and politicians where no heads will roll?

Ireland's lack of personal accountability is staggering, both the in the public and private sectors.

bennocelt
09/12/2008, 6:57 PM
well the rumour mill is in motion - a farm in Cavan was checked the other day for the quality of the beef - heard this twice last night:eek:
(could be rubbish though - probably)

anyway i am in my balls throwing out my rashers

ha ha jesus then i see this......................
http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1209/pork.html

anyway i wouldnt trust a word they say on all this

by the way from the same source - heard a good few stories on some funny shenanigins (how do you speall that word!) going on in Bord Na Mona - re wastage of money, no work, loss making, etc but then thats another story