PDA

View Full Version : Tribune: FAI bans 30 in campdown on hooligans

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

OneRedArmy
01/12/2008, 11:42 AM
Have I indeed? Another self righteous Derry fan..Beats being a drama queen.

There have been many incidents in our league over the past 5 years. Some more serious than others. We all know this so why have a go at me? The incidents I referred to were serious incidents that I remember off the top of my head..You quoted incidents at approximately 0.5% of matches over the last 4 years. That isn't "many" by any description, a more accurate description would be "isolated".

I go to pretty much every Derry away game and the odd one in the Brandywell and haven't felt threatened or seen trouble in years.

10, 15, 30 - does it matter how many if your son or daughter got split with a brick? It happens so hide your head in the sand all you want, if you ever decide to climb off that high horse.People get struck with lightning too, probably with a similar frequency to crowd trouble in the EL and we don't all sit indoors in a storm for fear of getting hit.

It was sensationalist, gutter journalism by the Tribune that is completely unreflective of whats going on at games (or whats not going on).

Candystripe
01/12/2008, 12:26 PM
Have I indeed? Another self righteous Derry fan.

There have been many incidents in our league over the past 5 years. Some more serious than others. We all know this so why have a go at me? The incidents I referred to were serious incidents that I remember off the top of my head.

10, 15, 30 - does it matter how many if your son or daughter got split with a brick? It happens so hide your head in the sand all you want, if you ever decide to climb off that high horse.

There were more arrests at the weekend football matches in english lower division games than in the previous 5 years with games involving LOI teams.

Hit a google search on each home clubs town or city local press websites. Easy to do even for morons.

Have you not noticed contradicting yourself a few times on this thread? :rolleyes:

cheech
01/12/2008, 12:29 PM
Maybe I'm not getting my point across properly. I'm not saying that is a huge problem but it is a problem and it does exist. Ignoring it will not make it go away.

I'm in no way defending that article... what I was pointing out was everyones indifference/denials to the fact that it references trouble in the LOI. Maybe I over elaborated on the frequency of crowd trouble but these were very serious incidents.

We all know that the recent emergence of these schooligans is a problem for some clubs....ignore these 15 year olds now and you could have major problems with them in a few years time.

Boh_So_Good
01/12/2008, 12:34 PM
I posted this comment. Sure they will pull it.

This is all news to me. Been attending LOI matches since 1978 as a life long Bohs supporter. This article is shocking in both its bigotry, ignorance and hyperbole. And that saying something for the Turbine.

If you want balanced coverage on all sport in Ireland then I suggest articles on all the Down Syndrome kids at GAA matches is a direct result of inbreeding in rural Ireland and how Leinster Rugby supporters are 90% blokes too scared to come out of the closet and admit they are gay.

That's the level of intellect this so called report and paper as a whole is dealing with in terms of their domestic soccer coverage.

No wonder newspaper sales are collasping in this country. 90% of Irish sports journalists are suffering from some bizzare identity crisis where Murdoch and Sky has them thinking Sunderland are and Irish club and they consider the League of Ireland a danger to the total domination of British soccer consumerism on this Island.

This is a psychology which has no other comparison on earth among soccer supporters. In every other country people and especially sports journalist understand that you do not fly or take a ferry to attend a "home" game by "your club".

The LOI is not going to die - DEAL WITH IT. But Newspapers are finished. Journalism is going the way of the Cooper and Canal Bargeman. Now there is a dose of reality for you. I can bet you anything that the Sunday Tribune will be dead and gone long after people in this country will still be safely enjoying their domestic league because they have minds of their own and can think for themselves.

cheech
01/12/2008, 12:35 PM
There were more arrests at the weekend football matches in english lower division games than in the previous 5 years with games involving LOI teams.

Ok fair enough. Comparing it to England was a bad example. But because there are more killings in Iraq won't make the gangland problems in Dublin or Limerick go away.

Hit a google search on each home clubs town or city local press websites. Easy to do even for morons.

Obviously if you figured it out.

Have you not noticed contradicting yourself a few times on this thread? :rolleyes:

Where?

passerrby
01/12/2008, 12:47 PM
off course there is a problem with football hooligans but it is small and the fact that it does not by in large kick off in grounds does not mean it does not happen ,is it the responsibility of clubs if it happens away from grounds no but that does not mean they should not accept a problem linked to leeagu of ireland.
also while i hate the media constant rush to besmirch the LOI it is sometimes as hateful to constantly here people on here saying it does not exist or its not our fans

cheech
01/12/2008, 1:10 PM
off course there is a problem with football hooligans but it is small and the fact that it does not by in large kick off in grounds does not mean it does not happen ,is it the responsibility of clubs if it happens away from grounds no but that does not mean they should not accept a problem linked to leeagu of ireland.
also while i hate the media constant rush to besmirch the LOI it is sometimes as hateful to constantly here people on here saying it does not exist or its not our fans

Thank you.

Guts&Glory
01/12/2008, 1:11 PM
30 people banned out of the stated 100,000 fans of those clubs involved equates to a 0.03% of attending fans.

Jesus there are more people banned from nightclubs in every town in Ireland than that.

As others have commenetd how come there has never been any noted arrests at GAA games where rival teams, fans, management etc. have fought on the pitches from junior to intercounty level.

Kurfufel, schimozel, fracas are a weekly event in GAA world yet nothing happens. Just cos lads fight on the pitch doesn't make it a public order offence..........a but sure its only the competitive nature of the game, love of their county and all that b*&&()$

Again as others have stated the violence is primalrily carried out by Schooligans who in relaity have little or no interest in the football.

I would be more worried if it was mid 20's to 40 year old lads involved as is and always has been the case in the UK.

I dont think any of us on here has an issue with banning these idiots but as usual the Irish press make it out like we are in a 1970's -1980's England Hooligan problem.

I dont believe it is hooliganism rather it's anti social behaviour.

I am sure if you knew of or looked into these troublemakers backgrounds they have previous offences for public order matters. I doubt it is just the football that make sthem go nuts and start trouble.

However the people running the club buses should stop those people travelling to away games or of that doesn't happen other clubs should start banning away fans of those clubs with the troublemakers to their grounds.

A face
There is still a serious hooligan problem in England. But it rarely happens in or around the grounds.

For the record, i'm saying it DOES happen in grounds in England but its just not reported on. Just because you dont hear about it Cheech does mean that you can say with 100% confidence that it doesn't happen.

It happens every week on a large scale inside and around English grounds (i'm talking 1/4 mile radius)

cheech
Beats being a drama queen.

People get struck with lightning too, probably with a similar frequency to crowd trouble in the EL and we don't all sit indoors in a storm for fear of getting hit.

Right Jack.

dcfcsteve
01/12/2008, 1:52 PM
Steve, I stopped reading your patronising drivel here. Can you make a point with without trying to belittle someone or make yourself sound like an intellectual on football, politics, policing and everything else in between?

I'm afraid no other tone is possble in response to the ill-informed, sensationalist garbage you've been posting... :rolleyes:

Had you read on you'd have seen a link to media footage of crowd disorder immediately outside a Championship stadium only last night. There goes your myth of trouble not happening in or around stadiums.

Like the Tribune, you've lost all sense of proportion on the scale of this topic in Ireland. It does happen, and it does need tackling - but it is isolated and mostly the actions of bored, spotty teenagers. The Tribune makes it sound like every Friday night is Green Street - which is the problem everyone bar you has with their article.

A face
01/12/2008, 5:44 PM
Like the Tribune, you've lost all sense of proportion on the scale of this topic in Ireland. It does happen, and it does need tackling - but it is isolated and mostly the actions of bored, spotty teenagers. The Tribune makes it sound like every Friday night is Green Street - which is the problem everyone bar you has with their article.

Thats it in a nutshell

BohsPartisan
01/12/2008, 8:59 PM
It was in response to the Bohs fan who said that it was nothing to do with the LOI as it didn't happen around the grounds.

I said it wasn't the responsibility of Bohs, Rovers or Shels to police public order on Dorset St or Gardiner St. (Or words to that effect).

You're having a laugh if you think the problem is worse here than over there. Do a search on youtube. There is loads of football related violence in England. Much more proportionately than here. Only difference is it doesn't get the press because the media has a vested interest in projecting a positive image of the game they make so much money out of. Here its the GAA indiscretions that are ignored.

Lim till i die
01/12/2008, 11:43 PM
I love the part about having same security for Bohs V Rovers as the All Ireland final. GAA fans are such angels compared to soccer fans. They should go to Thurles when the Munster Championship is on and you will see plenty of anti-social behaviour. Underage kids ****ed out of their heads and people ****ing on the streets. These people are in the minority Id admit but this is similar to Eircom League fans. Just the media dont report this.

GAA crowds are way way better behaved than LoI crowds.

I go to both and it's a fact whether ye like it or not.

The fact of the matter is that the Gardaí's idea of crowd control is to antagonise people.

Absolute drivel.

"It's the gardais fault" :rolleyes:

Are the BSC and their flags barred from Dalymonunt yet??

If not, why not??

I would say about the same number of Limerick fan that were actually attacked ! Zero from what i heard

I don't know how you do things up the country but I prefer my football without dozens of kiddies running around the pitch. :rolleyes:

There are so many puffed up tossers attached to the LoI given the crowd sizes it's pathetic lads.

And ye can whinge and cry about the Tribune as much as ye like, it doesn't change that fact.

Dodge
02/12/2008, 8:07 AM
GAA crowds are way way better behaved than LoI crowds.

I go to both and it's a fact whether ye like it or not.

Do you go to games in Dublin? Can't find the stats now but at least 15 people arrested at each of Dublin's game in the championship last year. (Report was in the herald)

I don't know how you do things up the country but I prefer my football without dozens of kiddies running around the pitch.
how you making the jump from annoyance factor to hooligans being barred?

There are so many puffed up tossers attached to the LoI given the crowd sizes it's pathetic lads.

And ye can whinge and cry about the Tribune as much as ye like, it doesn't change that fact.
And all your hyperbole doesn't change the fact that its still a tiny percentage, and its still a newspaper taking any oppurtunity to take a pop shot at the league

A face
02/12/2008, 8:23 AM
Is there anything response from the FAI on this yet?

Its Tuesday the 2nd of December 2008

Duffman
02/12/2008, 8:30 AM
Is there anything response from the FAI on this yet?

Its Tuesday the 2nd of December 2008

Don't think that you needed the year in there A face, we can sit back and await patiently their response and count up the years.

OneRedArmy
02/12/2008, 8:34 AM
I don't know how you do things up the country but I prefer my football without dozens of kiddies running around the pitch. :rolleyes:Surely you should avoid the GAA in that case as the fans can't seem to keep off the pitch.

As an exercise, compare the number of times a fan or other non-participant has assaulted a player on the pitch in the GAA compared with the EL.

Raheny Red
02/12/2008, 3:11 PM
I do have an issue with clubs washing their hands of incidents however, can anyone from Shels verify how many bannings were handed out to the 100 odd kids who ran the length of the pitch to 'get' the Limerick supporters for instance? Doesn't matter that they didn't have the balls to go through with their nonsense threats before anyone points out that they didn't actually hit any of us

73 as of yesterday afternoon!

shelbourne1904
02/12/2008, 4:24 PM
Why doesnt the paper name them if they have so much interest in this enormous problem

HarpoJoyce
02/12/2008, 4:32 PM
Why doesnt the paper name them if they have so much interest in this enormous problem

That would give the toerag fans involved and their clubs notriety.
It's better that the FAI and cops keep them on the defensive.

If you're interested in your own club or tenants. Check with the Sergeant in the local Garda Station, who is involved with the security of matches at your ground.

jebus
02/12/2008, 4:33 PM

Glad to hear it

Rovers Maniac
02/12/2008, 5:11 PM
Glad to hear it

To be fair Jeebus the fan on the pitch that night a 37er. That was proved on MNS ! so was he banned? :confused:

jebus
02/12/2008, 5:54 PM
To be fair Jeebus the fan on the pitch that night a 37er. That was proved on MNS ! so was he banned? :confused:

Highlarious

You had the whole day to think a retort up and adding a e to my username (there actually is a foot member called Jeebus in other news) and changing your club logo again was the bets you could come up with? And I thought you knew how to WUM Maniac, disappointed is all I can say :(

Jinxy
02/12/2008, 6:17 PM
Surely you should avoid the GAA in that case as the fans can't seem to keep off the pitch.

As an exercise, compare the number of times a fan or other non-participant has assaulted a player on the pitch in the GAA compared with the EL.

I presume you mean at intercounty level? Last incident I can remember is the Dublin statistician headbutting a Monaghan player. Can't think of many others.

BohsPartisan
02/12/2008, 7:08 PM
Absolute drivel.

"It's the gardais fault" :rolleyes:

Are the BSC and their flags barred from Dalymonunt yet??

If not, why not??

1Really? You'd know? The Gardai have created problems at games where there was no potential for trouble and that is a fact.
2 Haven't seen a BSC flag at Dalymount in a long time.
3 Some people are banned some are not. Some who are banned are so without any evidence of wrong doing. Some are banned because of who their mates are. Its arbitrary. There is no blanket ban on anyone perceived to be BSC and why should there be. If you don't make trouble at games, you've done nothing wrong. The bottom line in all of this is that its really mountain out of mole hill sh1t. Wait until you're promoted and see if you feel safe coming to Dalymount. You'll ask yourself what all the fuss was about. That article and a lot of this thread are pure sh1te.

BTW I have seen more fighting inside GAA grounds than inside LOI grounds.

OneRedArmy
02/12/2008, 7:57 PM
I presume you mean at intercounty level? Last incident I can remember is the Dublin statistician headbutting a Monaghan player. Can't think of many others.The only reason to presume that is because its a lot more common at club level and admitting that would show the GAA up for the band of cornerboys that they really are.

BohsPartisan
02/12/2008, 8:03 PM
I saw the cops separating Meath and Kildare fans on the Canal end in Croker. 2003 0r 2004 I think it was.

Jinxy
02/12/2008, 8:17 PM
The only reason to presume that is because its a lot more common at club level and admitting that would show the GAA up for the band of cornerboys that they really are.

No, the only reason to presume that would be because otherwise you are comparing JUST the eircom league, which is the highest level of soccer in this country, with the entire GAA i.e a small sample size versus a very large sample size.
Which would admittedly suit your argument a lot better as you could ignore the stuff that goes on at lower level soccer matches up and down the country.

Lim till i die
02/12/2008, 9:16 PM
Do you go to games in Dublin? Can't find the stats now but at least 15 people arrested at each of Dublin's game in the championship last year. (Report was in the herald)

There's 85,000 people at every Dublin championship game.

how you making the jump from annoyance factor to hooligans being barred?

I was responding to a clown, didn't give it much thought if I'm honest

And all your hyperbole doesn't change the fact that its still a tiny percentage, and its still a newspaper taking any oppurtunity to take a pop shot at the league

Hyperbole :confused:

Of course it's a tiny percentage, I would put it in the low double figures at clubs like Shels with it being even smaller at other clubs.

All the more reason why it should and could be snuffed out by clubs in a matter of weeks if they were really bothered.

Surely you should avoid the GAA in that case as the fans can't seem to keep off the pitch.

You can't see the difference??

As an exercise, compare the number of times a fan or other non-participant has assaulted a player on the pitch in the GAA compared with the EL

Absolutely nonsense comparison.

How about as an exercise you compare the number of times a fan or other non-participant has assaulted a player on the pitch in the GAA compared with football at all levels which would be much fairer afterall.

1Really? You'd know? The Gardai have created problems at games where there was no potential for trouble and that is a fact.

Give me five examples.

Still you could give me 500 it still wouldn't make hooliganism the gardais fault.

Some who are banned are so without any evidence of wrong doing.

Eh??

Some are banned because of who their mates are.

The poor lambs.

There is no blanket ban on anyone perceived to be BSC and why should there be.

Why indeed :rolleyes:

Wait until you're promoted and see if you feel safe coming to Dalymount. You'll ask yourself what all the fuss was about.

Have never felt unsafe at a LOI ground in my life.

What's your point??

BTW I have seen more fighting inside GAA grounds than inside LOI grounds

You have been really unlucky with your choices of GAA game.

Lim till i die
02/12/2008, 9:18 PM

I. Don't. Believe. You.

BohsPartisan
02/12/2008, 9:37 PM
Examples - Cork last game of the 2007 season. 20 Gardaí storm onto the away section in Turners cross knocking lumps out of anyone in sight because one person has a flare. Constant little provocations at Dalymount from them. Why do you think we have a Garda Harassment forum at TheBohs.Com?

Never saw anything that bad between two sets of fans inside a LOI ground in this decade. Was I just lucky?

Lim till i die
02/12/2008, 9:39 PM
Why do you think we have a Garda Harassment forum at TheBohs.Com?

I could tell you why I think but you wouldn't like it. ;) :)

A face
02/12/2008, 9:58 PM
I presume you mean at intercounty level? Last incident I can remember is the Dublin statistician headbutting a Monaghan player. Can't think of many others.

Are you serious? Come off the stage or down out of the clouds. It goes on wholesale

There's 85,000 people at every Dublin championship game.

Fair enough, go with a ratio so and see how it fairs out. I'd put money on it, and thats even with the current level of reporting and glossing over of GAA trouble that goes on.

How about as an exercise you compare the number of times a fan or other non-participant has assaulted a player on the pitch in the GAA compared with football at all levels which would be much fairer afterall.

I have heard of countless incidents at GAA games that would far out number anything at footie games, and i have witnessed far more incidents at GAA games, from the Harty Cup to Munster Finals, and i can tell you that i have been to far more footie games than GAA games.

Still you could give me 500 it still wouldn't make hooliganism the gardais fault.

500 and it still wouldn't make you sit up and take notice, sure what the feic are you posting about it for so, its pointless. What if everyone in Donegal had the same attitude as you???

I'd agree but thats not to say it doesn't happen, and when it does happen it can be on a far larger scale than anything you'll see at a LOI game.

Lim till i die
02/12/2008, 10:09 PM
Fair enough, go with a ratio so and see how it fairs out. I'd put money on it, and thats even with the current level of reporting and glossing over of GAA trouble that goes on.

Ratio wouldn't be particularly fair either seeing as you would be dealing with far larger numbers and a far larger cross section of society at GAA games.

Championship games aren't even segregated FFS.

Myself and ten of my mates (no sniggering at the back) could travel to a game in say Thurles without tickets, get tickets for the "Clare end", bring in as much drink as we could carry and cheer and whoop and generally act the culchie for 70 minutes without an ounce of hassle.

I've done it on numerous occasions

Can you imagine if we tried to do the same at say a Rovers v Limerick F.C. game??

And remember at the GAA game there would be about 15,000 in the end, whereas as the football game there would be about 1500 in the ground.

I have heard of countless incidents at GAA games that would far out number anything at footie games, and i have witnessed far more incidents at GAA games, from the Harty Cup to Munster Finals,

Is Limerick honestly the only place where you hear of the officials at Junior games getting a smack in the mouth every now and again?!?!

and i can tell you that i have been to far more footie games than GAA games.

Obviously, since you just admitted yourself that much of your info on the GAA games is second hand.

500 and it still wouldn't make you sit up and take notice, sure what the feic are you posting about it for so, its pointless. What if everyone in Donegal had the same attitude as you???

What, in ainm de, is this about?!?!

I'd agree but thats not to say it doesn't happen, and when it does happen it can be on a far larger scale than anything you'll see at a LOI game

Mainly because the crowds would be on a far, far larger scale I'm sure you'd agree??

Lim till i die
02/12/2008, 10:13 PM
Never saw anything that bad between two sets of fans inside a LOI ground in this decade. Was I just lucky?

What about around the ground??

Oh right. That's absolutely nothing to do with the league.......

BohsPartisan
02/12/2008, 10:19 PM
What about around the ground??

Oh right. That's absolutely nothing to do with the league.......

You see very little around the ground too. As I said, this is a non-topic. Some lazy journo needed to make a deadline.

Lim till i die
02/12/2008, 10:36 PM
You see very little around the ground too. As I said, this is a non-topic.

I've seen far worse around LoI grounds than I have around GAA grounds.

Have never seen a gun fired after a hurling match. :eek: :p

I don't think anybody is claiming that it's a particularly big deal.

All I'm saying is that it is a problem that exists, it is a realatively large one given the tiny numbers involved and it could IMO be very easily nipped in the bud (well to a large extent anyway) if clubs were really pushed about it.

jebus
02/12/2008, 10:45 PM
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/5887/therealreasondc0.gif

Just to lighten the mood like :)

Lim till i die
02/12/2008, 10:47 PM
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/5887/therealreasondc0.gif

Just to lighten the mood like :)

He's getting all his gifs over on football 365 folks!!!

You aint impressing me that easily jebus! :p

jebus
02/12/2008, 10:52 PM
He's getting all his gifs over on football 365 folks!!!

You aint impressing me that easily jebus! :p

Some, but not this one :)

Next time you're around mine I'll have to show you a forum that will open your eyes :p

Lim till i die
02/12/2008, 10:54 PM
Next time you're around mine I'll have to show you a forum that will open your eyes

Bloody Students :eek: :eek: :p

Jinxy
02/12/2008, 11:43 PM
Are you serious? Come off the stage or down out of the clouds. It goes on wholesale

Non-participants attacking players? At intercounty level? Give me some examples so.

GalwayRed
02/12/2008, 11:48 PM
I. Don't. Believe. You.
Shocking that:rolleyes:

OneRedArmy
03/12/2008, 9:13 AM
Myself and ten of my mates (no sniggering at the back) could travel to a game in say Thurles without tickets, get tickets for the "Clare end", bring in as much drink as we could carry and cheer and whoop and generally act the culchie for 70 minutes without an ounce of hassle.Go and do that on the Hill at a Dubs game and tell us how you get on.

Non-participants attacking players? At intercounty level? Give me some examples so.Whats the obsession with the intercounty level? Surely senior club fixtures are more in line with EL attendences?

You know well and good that spectators have assaulted referees, players and team officials on quite a few occasions at senior club games over the last few years. Its been reported in the national press.

The only incident I can remember in the EL is Tom clotheslining an assistant referee a few seasons back (Belfield or Bray?). Oh and one of our fans pulled Barry Ryan's ears as he went to take a goal kick about 8 years ago.

The reality is that the GAA has such a control over the psyche of the media and other apparatus of the state that any hint of public disorder is either brushed under the carpet or portrayed as an integral part of the "manliness" that is an inherent part of the sport (subtext: if you complain you're a soft poof, most probably from the city and are probably unpatriotic to boot).

So in summary, when some mucksavage in a headband acts up its portayed as exhuberance and a bit of craic, but when someone dressed in Burberry or Stone Island does it its somehow more sinister and pretty much organised gang violence.

Jinxy
03/12/2008, 11:48 AM
How many EL clubs are there? Now how many GAA clubs are there?
It is far more reasonable to compare the eircom league with intercounty GAA in terms of the number of teams participating.

Guts&Glory
03/12/2008, 1:02 PM
How many EL clubs are there? Now how many GAA clubs are there?
It is far more reasonable to compare the eircom league with intercounty GAA in terms of the number of teams participating.

For Jaysus sake man get off your ratio mantra.

As regards football there is the EL teams right down to Sunday mroning kickarounds going on in the country all the time every weekend.

Believe me, you know and I know if there was hassle at those games e.g. EL Reserve / 'A' games, Leinster or other provincial Senior or Junior games, Junior Cup games etc. it would be reported in the papers - especially the herald!!

It doesn't happen at those levels in football, it does happen at those levels, as well as right down to U-12 games in the GAA world - get over it!!

corkboy360
03/12/2008, 2:23 PM
[quote=BohsPartisan;1069050]Examples - Cork last game of the 2007 season. 20 Gardaí storm onto the away section in Turners cross knocking lumps out of anyone in sight because one person has a flare. Constant little provocations at Dalymount from them.

This is very exaggerated i was at that game and bohs fans had flares and cork city fans had smoke and also a flare that didnt last long at the other end of the derrynane ( where ye were) and yes they might of pushed and shoved but certainly did not "knock lumps out of anyone":rolleyes:

[quote=BohsPartisan;1069050]
Why do you think we have a Garda Harassment forum at TheBohs.Com?

To plan yer little casual outings of course and how ye'll do a display without being caught:D

gspain
03/12/2008, 3:05 PM
By and large there isn't a hooligan problem in any sport in this country.

I'm sure we can all find instances in other sports. We have issues in football too but they are pretty minor. The Tribune is a terrible newspaper in all respects and that is where the criticism should be directed. They'll probably ignore th eelague again next season and run the story for a 3rd time this time next year.

As for general media coverage this is one area where the FAI could do much better. The GAA get good press because they are paranoid about their image. They will threaten to sue any paper that dares to utter criticism. The FAI have failed to sue in every case despite blatant libel.

HarpoJoyce
03/12/2008, 3:20 PM
By and large there isn't a hooligan problem in any sport in this country.

I'm sure we can all find instances in other sports. We have issues in football too but they are pretty minor. The Tribune is a terrible newspaper in all respects and that is where the criticism should be directed. They'll probably ignore th eelague again next season and run the story for a 3rd time this time next year.

As for general media coverage this is one area where the FAI could do much better. The GAA get good press because they are paranoid about their image. They will threaten to sue any paper that dares to utter criticism. The FAI have failed to sue in every case despite blatant libel.

I don't understand your last comparison, would you prefer Irish Football to develop a mental illness.
There is the McDonald's model of replying to ever negative point, article or letter published. But that was more manageable in the 'hardcopy' era. Nowadays, when Irish Football does reply and attempt to manage some aspects of the media they are hysterically accused of extreme behaviour.

Of course, it does not make sense to sue (even threathen to sue) unless the injury is obvious. Otherwise you gain a reputation like Robert Maxwell's.
(And I don't mean a nice trip on a yacht.)