PDA

View Full Version : The Budget Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

pete
16/10/2008, 9:49 AM
After all the recent discussion on the re-introduction of college fees fair;ly sharp practice to raise "registration" fees. At E1500 they are all but college fees in name.

FF seem to have started the process of treating themselves apart over the budget. Back bench revolt & talks of u-turn in the over 70s medical card withdrawal. has it been mentioned how much this is supposed to raise?

jmurphyc
16/10/2008, 9:54 AM
After all the recent discussion on the re-introduction of college fees fair;ly sharp practice to raise "registration" fees. At E1500 they are all but college fees in name.

Whether you agree with the reintroduction of fees or not this government "levy" for college is an absolute joke. A lot of people would be better off if fees were introduced and means tested rather than this. Someone told me that the registration fee was 300 euro in 2002. That's a 400% increase in 6 years. It's absolutely sickening. I know that people who are eligible for grants don't have to pay it, but there are plenty who aren't eligible and will struggle to pay this.

superfrank
16/10/2008, 11:26 AM
Registration fee was 815, iirc, last year, 900 this year and going up to 1500 for next year. Almost doubling it in the two years since I started.

There'll be a student protest next Wednesday in Dublin over the fees thing. I imagine the reistration fee will pop up too.

dahamsta
16/10/2008, 12:55 PM
Where did i say you get a free house?You started wittering on about people not having mortgages, when we're discussing a specific case here where mortgages were never even mentioned. Either stick to the specific case, stick to a general case, or better yet, be quiet and let the adults speak.

anto1208
16/10/2008, 1:18 PM
You started wittering on about people not having mortgages, when we're discussing a specific case here where mortgages were never even mentioned. Either stick to the specific case, stick to a general case, or better yet, be quiet and let the adults speak.
:rolleyes:
You tried to make a smart ass comment it backfired and now your getting ****y about it. Is that how adults act ? very sad .

I didnt know if she had a mortgage so i had to give both options with and without mortgages and explained why both would show why she shouldnt be left without heating for the winter because of a 300 euro levy.

pete
16/10/2008, 10:37 PM
Can no one tell McCain that the Irish Corporation tax is 12.5% & now the 11% he keeps mentioning? :rolleyes:

Is this good free advertising?

Student Mullet
17/10/2008, 1:09 AM
Sorry for the off topic,
Just out of interest how can you "strongly disagree" with this?:confused:
By cycling around Dublin and wherever else and finding the cycle lanes up on the footpath to be much more dangerous than either the ones down on the road or the roads themselves.
The little bit of internet research I've done seems to back up my experience.

Billsthoughts
17/10/2008, 8:08 AM
Sorry for the off topic,
By cycling around Dublin and wherever else and finding the cycle lanes up on the footpath to be much more dangerous than either the ones down on the road or the roads themselves.
The little bit of internet research I've done seems to back up my experience.

Well from cycling round dublin for last few years would totally disagree.

dahamsta
17/10/2008, 2:52 PM
You tried to make a smart ass comment it backfired and now your getting ****y about it. Is that how adults act ? very sad .I apologise for ridiculing you, I have a higher standard to bear and I should know better. However I remain of the opinion that you have a very poor grasp of household economics. Let's just leave it there.

adam

OneRedArmy
17/10/2008, 3:07 PM
Could the medical card decision be the "VAT on childrens shoes" of this Government?

Not clear (to me anyway) how much last nights rollback by Mary Harney changes the situation.

Billsthoughts
17/10/2008, 3:14 PM
Could the medical card decision be the "VAT on childrens shoes" of this Government?

Not clear (to me anyway) how much last nights rollback by Mary Harney changes the situation.

Not really. I could see FF getting elected again in the morning. Doesnt seem to be any strong opposition to take their place.

pete
17/10/2008, 3:42 PM
Not really. I could see FF getting elected again in the morning. Doesnt seem to be any strong opposition to take their place.

IF the opposition could come of detailed alternatives that they could explain to the voters they might make an impact but I am not convinced they are capable of that.

Dodge
17/10/2008, 3:58 PM
IF the opposition could come of detailed alternatives that they could explain to the voters they might make an impact but I am not convinced they are capable of that.

I think they should use shock and awe tactics. Just a simple "Are you ****ing kidding me? This shower again!?"

Anyone with that on a poster gets my vote.

sonofstan
19/10/2008, 2:16 PM
I think they should use shock and awe tactics. Just a simple "Are you ****ing kidding me? This shower again!?"

Anyone with that on a poster gets my vote.

Anyone Dodge? you sure?

Thing that gets me is this; Gubbermint takes away med. cards for over 70s, country goes apesh!t - Cowen relents (a bit) but explains how country is in dire straits financially and people need to understand this; people will prolly accept compromise on med. cards and grumble but not protest overmuch about income levy (far more inequitible) because, after all 'the country is in dire straits economically' - thing is, a large part of the reason for dire etc. is this Gubbermint's insane pumping of the housing bubble right up to the last budget a mere 10 months ago.....
But they'll get a let off on that, and the 'rescue a builder programme' (otherwise the AH scheme) will pass without a murmer because it looks like what its not, a scheme to help the less well off; tempting the less well off into buying something they might not be easily able to afford doesn't strike me as the job of government, somehow - snake oil sellers, the lot of them.

mypost
20/10/2008, 4:02 AM

The government can't climb down on their budgetary measures, as once they do so on one measure, every other vested interest will be looking for them to climb down on theirs.

The only way to get out of this is for the coalition to fall and receive their punishment at the ballot box. But I can't see the Greens pulling out. As they would have zero chance of getting back in, it would be the Turkeys voting for Christmas, if they did.

pete
21/10/2008, 4:20 PM
Did FF make a climbdown on last years budget too? :confused:

I would probably lose respect for the Greens if they left government as approved the budget & lets be honest they knew what they were getting themselves in for. I am not sure they have shown much yet but they need to prove they can govern & not just take pot shots from the opposition.

pete
22/10/2008, 7:28 AM
Government U Turn (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/1022/1224625076839.html)

Cowan:

"We regret the anxiety that was caused by the failure to properly communicate the fact that over 70 per cent of pensioners over-70 would have been completely unaffected by the original proposal."

:rolleyes:

The new threshold for qualification for a medical card for over-70s is €700 a week for a single person, equivalent to €36,500 a year and €1,400 a week for a couple, or €73,000 a year.

So they actually planned to implement a policy where apparently 95% of people retain their medical cards? Do they really think the top 5% of over 70s earners are demanding medical cards?

Lim till i die
22/10/2008, 11:21 PM
FF seem to have started the process of treating themselves apart over the budget. Back bench revolt & talks of u-turn in the over 70s medical card withdrawal. has it been mentioned how much this is supposed to raise?

I think a figure of €200 million was mentioned which as one economist pointed out is pretty small beans for the amount of hassle it caused.

It depends on whether there is somebody of the integrity of 1980s Jim Kemmy in that government.

So, er, no, would be your answer.

I end up saying it on every government issue so I'll say it again here. Whatever about FF, I just hope everyone has learned their lesson about voting Green.

Anymore liberal guilt types who remain unconvinced may I suggest adopting a third world child or something next time out instead of inflicting that arrogant shower of wasters on the country again.

shantykelly
23/10/2008, 12:24 AM
Ah will you stop you earn 30 grand and you say 2/3 of that goes on a mortgage ! what in gods name where you doing getting a mortgage that costs you 20 grand a year !!! for a house for 3 of ye to live in if your a poor single mother. How big is your mortgage 300,000 ? And what bank gave you a mortgage thats 10 times your salery !!! That shardly the goverments fault thats your choice.

That seems about right for a mrotgage recently. i looked at houses with my partner in the donegal/derry border area recently (pre-bubble burst), and about 1700 yo yos a month would actually be a bit on the low side for houses round about here.

Ringo
23/10/2008, 5:56 AM
Giving medical cards to all over 70's was a stunt a couple of years ago. I've argued the point with both my parents & my wifes, both of whom will qualify . Why should high earners get a free medical card , when low earners just outside the limits can't?

Why do parents who pay primary fees for 6 years for their kids ie Gerards, Castleknock college etc. happily, not pay when they go on to third level?

Billsthoughts
23/10/2008, 8:25 AM
Mr Kennedy went on the offensive against one of his chief critics, Sinn Fein member Danny O'Connor (63), who had accused him of robbing the elderly.

"You guys robbed the banks. Bring Sinn Fein into power and they will rob the banks and give you money. When Sinn Fein bring back the €250m they have in America, then I will talk to you" Mr Kennedy said.

But Mr O'Connor, whose son Shane is a Dublin-based Sinn Fein councillor, hit back by saying "at least we wore balaclavas".

"As one robber to another, you're better than I ever was," he said.

classic...