PDA

View Full Version : This is not right!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Juanace
27/09/2008, 1:38 AM
Ok Im a UCD fan and it looks like were going down after tonights result. Im sure most of ye will be delighted to see us go.

But this Cork situation really has me p***ed off, and a few other clubs this year as well.

UCD have never reneged on paying players/staff wages. We are living within our means and we havent had to be bailed out by last minute investors and pleading to supporters (Sligo). We have not gone into receivership.

If we had done a Cork and spent mad money that we didnt have to buy better players, go into receivership, renege on wages, make drastic cuts of staff/players etc..and scrape a recovery plan before the end of the season we may have stayed up.

How fair is it that we do things correctly and Cork and others 'cheat' buy buying players they can't afford, they stay up and get bailed out and we go down?

So many clubs this year have had drastic finanical problems. If you can't run a business properly, like so many clubs have proved this year then you shouldnt be allowed in the league. It should be the FIRST priority.

Rant over.

sligoman
27/09/2008, 1:41 AM
Nice rant, maybe someone in the First Division will care;).

jebus
27/09/2008, 2:13 AM

I agree with him for one :)

forza rovers
27/09/2008, 7:23 AM
Ok Im a UCD fan and it looks like were going down after tonights result. Im sure most of ye will be delighted to see us go.

But this Cork situation really has me p***ed off, and a few other clubs this year as well.

UCD have never reneged on paying players/staff wages. We are living within our means and we havent had to be bailed out by last minute investors and pleading to supporters (Sligo). We have not gone into receivership.

If we had done a Cork and spent mad money that we didnt have to buy better players, go into receivership, renege on wages, make drastic cuts of staff/players etc..and scrape a recovery plan before the end of the season we may have stayed up.

How fair is it that we do things correctly and Cork and others 'cheat' buy buying players they can't afford, they stay up and get bailed out and we go down?

So many clubs this year have had drastic finanical problems. If you can't run a business properly, like so many clubs have proved this year then you shouldnt be allowed in the league. It should be the FIRST priority.

Rant over.life's tough. glad to see yell be going down!

mypost
27/09/2008, 7:29 AM
The relegation battle isn't over, there are still 18 points to be played for, win half of them and it becomes interesting.

Besides, other clubs can be punished for breaking the wage cap regulations, while others may go out of business, before March.

5ForKeeps
27/09/2008, 7:35 AM

Rant over.

I do have sympathy for clubs who run a tight ship finanically. We remember what happened to Shelbourne, anything can happen come seasons end. Who knows another club currently in the Premier might fold due the finanical constraints they have with been full-time and high wages given out to their players.

oldyouth
27/09/2008, 7:51 AM
Yep, big sympathy for clubs who don't get acknowledgement for being run on good financial grounds. The clubs with a longer history in the premier, have fans who demand success at any cost and this leads to chairmen taking the big gamble. I personally would postpone the possibility of success in return for ensuring my club is here for generations to come.

OneRedArmy
27/09/2008, 8:09 AM
If you didn't get a sweet deal from the College I suspect you'd get a bit more sympathy.

Mr A
27/09/2008, 8:14 AM
Sadly, the lesson is that running your club carefully brings little but pain in terms of results. There is always a bunch of other clubs overspending so you'll always be at a big disadvantage.

It's up to the FAI to try to even the field a bit through regulation and punishing clubs that make commitments that they cannot keep.

I think there is a fair chance of UCD staying up yet BTW...

oldyouth
27/09/2008, 8:45 AM
If you didn't get a sweet deal from the College I suspect you'd get a bit more sympathy.
We are nearly all getting sweet deals from somewhere. UCD from the college, Sporting Fingal & Shamrock Rovers from the local authority, Wexford Youths and others from wealthy benefactors.
Very few, if any, clubs match direct income to expenditure. No supporter can claim the high ground on this issue. The main problem is when clubs overstep the set boundaries, that's where sympathy should run out

brendy_éire
27/09/2008, 9:17 AM

In fairness, Cork were 'bailed out' by their fans, not by the FAI or Govt, so IMO that's fair enough. They're still not grand yet either. If they can't clear their debts soon they will be relegated.
If Cork come up with the money that's all well and good. Whether or not they're paying the players the full amount of wages doesn't matter. That's between Cork and their staff, it's nothing to do with the rest of us.

I have a fair bit of sympathy for ye actually. I like UCD, they're one of the best run clubs in the country.
I don't think the relegation battle is over just yet (granted last night as a big blow), but sorry, I want ye's down, but only because I really want Harps to stay up.

lowroadrover
27/09/2008, 9:33 AM
How many other clubs are propped up by a large cash rich university?
Dry your eyes.

Poor Student
27/09/2008, 9:55 AM
It's a little bit like the Sheffield United v West Ham saga over Carlos Tevez. Sheffield United were still one of the worst sides in the Premiership and have to accept some blame for their relegation. We have had the players this season to win more games than we have and we have to accept we haven't been doing enough on the field to stay up. Yes, other clubs are overspending and putting us at a disadvantage but that's a context we have been operating in for some time and will continue to be operating in and we must learn to cope and deal with that.

I know I shouldn't get sucked into this debate for the millionth time but UCD AFC raise the funds to pay for the sports scholarships themselves and UCD AFC and UCD RFC raised the money to renovate the Bowl. UCD AFC raises about 90% of its budget itself through its own activities. The help from the college is often overstated. Shamrock Rovers will get an equally if not as good as deal on their ground and clubs like Bohs have a scholarship scheme set up with DCU.

pineapple stu
27/09/2008, 10:25 AM
UCD are not funded by the university.

There's nowt we can do about it. It's our call to be sensible; if every other club in the league bar Rovers and Bray (kind of) are broke, then that'll come back to haunt them fairly soon, especially with the recession coming on, and then we'll have a bit of headstart on many of the clubs.

What really ****es me off, more than clubs spending recklessly, is clubs who, because of their reckless spending, are holding back on money to us. Clubs can screw themselves over all they want, but when it comes to actively screwing us over, that gets annoying.

I don't believe for a second the FAI will do anything about the wage cap.

blackholesun
27/09/2008, 10:46 AM
as Platini says "its the cheats who are winning"!

bhs

adamd164
27/09/2008, 11:29 AM
May I be the first to point out that we have not entered receivership. Not sure where this notion has come from. Our club is still in examinership.

Secondly, brendy eire is absolutely spot on. It's as simple as this: if we don't pay what we owe, we WILL be relegated. If we pay it, then we stay up and your argument that we can't afford it is void.

jebus
27/09/2008, 11:33 AM
May I be the first to point out that we have not entered receivership. Not sure where this notion has come from. Our club is still in examinership.

Secondly, brendy eire is absolutely spot on. It's as simple as this: if we don't pay what we owe, we WILL be relegated. If we pay it, then we stay up and your argument that we can't afford it is void.

How much of the season were Cork breaking the wage cap can I ask? Was it up until your financial problems came to light? Are ye still breaking it?

A face
27/09/2008, 12:45 PM

Rant over.

You're finding it hard to take it seems

BohDiddley
27/09/2008, 12:52 PM
Clubs with no financial problems get to play into goals that are a foot wider and six inches taller. Would that fix it? :p

jebus
27/09/2008, 1:38 PM
How much of the season were Cork breaking the wage cap can I ask? Was it up until your financial problems came to light? Are ye still breaking it?

Anyone know?

I'll tell you where I'm going with this anyway. I personally think that any club that has blatantly smashed the wage cap (which seems to be the case with Cork, open to correction though) should have all their points stripped from the period that they were over the 65%. So if Cork were breaking it up until two weeks ago then they lose all their points for that period.

In the case of a club like Galway, who seem to have been close to breaking, and maybe did for a week or two, I would say that a fine is sufficent punishment as a week or two of breaking it wouldn't amount to huge gains on the field.

Again I'm open to correction as to what Cork's level of punishment should be if someone knows exactly to what level they broke the wage agreement

Guitd
27/09/2008, 1:58 PM
Anyone know?

I'll tell you where I'm going with this anyway. I personally think that any club that has blatantly smashed the wage cap (which seems to be the case with Cork, open to correction though) should have all their points stripped from the period that they were over the 65%. So if Cork were breaking it up until two weeks ago then they lose all their points for that period.

In the case of a club like Galway, who seem to have been close to breaking, and maybe did for a week or two, I would say that a fine is sufficent punishment as a week or two of breaking it wouldn't amount to huge gains on the field.

Again I'm open to correction as to what Cork's level of punishment should be if someone knows exactly to what level they broke the wage agreement

if we had kept going and stayed over 65% ,held our squad togeather we would prob be 8/10 points better off now and prob stay up ,dont think it would have been the right thing to do if the club folded with big debts and no one to bail us out

jebus
27/09/2008, 2:35 PM
if we had kept going and stayed over 65% ,held our squad togeather we would prob be 8/10 points better off now and prob stay up ,dont think it would have been the right thing to do if the club folded with big debts and no one to bail us out

I agree, I don't think clubs should be let off lately for something that gives them an unfair advantage over those that stay within the rules

Poor Student
27/09/2008, 3:03 PM

A very insightful and worthwhile contribution to this thread.

geezer
27/09/2008, 3:08 PM

we are way better off without all that rubbish that left. The only player worth saving would have been Gary deegan the rest were crap

A face
27/09/2008, 3:25 PM
A very insightful and worthwhile contribution to this thread.

I know, i'm great really ;)

Student Mullet
27/09/2008, 3:46 PM

Rant over.

I think we'd still have gone down this year even if every other club was running itself right. The 4 big overspending clubs would still be ahead of us even if they had to cut their expenditure beck to their income. The reason we're going down is because we can't catch any from Harps, Bray Rovers and Shams.

SMorgan
27/09/2008, 3:57 PM
Of course you’re right. Cork appear to got away with some very irresponsible behaviour very lightly. On top of that you've got one of the top clubs in the Premier being allowed to play in a ground the wouldn't even get a first division license.

If its of any consolation the other irresponsible club, Galway United will be heading down with you.

Relegate Cork, Drogheda and Galway, I say.

hamburg paul
27/09/2008, 4:06 PM
Anyone know?

How about you take off the blinkers you are wearing ?if one team does wrong and the other Maybe has done wrong ,you just cant make up a different rule for every indvidual case !As regards UCD ,they do not belong in the top flight !can this be a teams goal to be promoted and fight against relegation every season ?How can players be motivated when they know it is going to be the same every season ?and what about your fans ?do they not get p...ed off putting up with this every season ?or have you got no ambitions?

Poor Student
27/09/2008, 4:09 PM
What a muppet:rolleyes:.Our fans gave 100k to save our club,so what does it matter? There's nothing illegal about it. There's nothing wrong with doing that.

In all fairness that's not the way a club should be run. The fundraising efforts of Sligo fans are commendable and a great achievement but the club should not have put you in that position in the first place. It's one thing for fans to contribute to a club's finances throughout a season through fundraising, ticket and merchandise purchases etc. but it's another thing for a club to have to emotionally blackmail fans into a gallant fundraising effort because you threatened the club's existence through current expenditure.

Rovers fan
27/09/2008, 4:39 PM
In all fairness that's not the way a club should be run. The fundraising efforts of Sligo fans are commendable and a great achievement but the club should not have put you in that position in the first place. It's one thing for fans to contribute to a club's finances throughout a season through fundraising, ticket and merchandise purchases etc. but it's another thing for a club to have to emotionally blackmail fans into a gallant fundraising effort because you threatened the club's existence through current expenditure.

It doesn't matter how or why or whatever.We,the fans gave the club around 100k and that was our choice.The club took a gamble to see if we could live with the top clubs,we failed and are going back to basics. I,for one,am happy we gave it a go instead of accepting mediocracy.

jebus
27/09/2008, 4:49 PM
How about you take off the blinkers you are wearing ?if one team does wrong and the other Maybe has done wrong ,you just cant make up a different rule for every indvidual case !As regards UCD ,they do not belong in the top flight !can this be a teams goal to be promoted and fight against relegation every season ?How can players be motivated when they know it is going to be the same every season ?and what about your fans ?do they not get p...ed off putting up with this every season ?or have you got no ambitions?

You can't make up a different rule for every different case? What?

amjl
27/09/2008, 5:40 PM
Clubs with no financial problems get to play into goals that are a foot wider and six inches taller. Would that fix it? :p
It still wouldn’t make a difference they way they’re playing!!

gael353
27/09/2008, 6:12 PM
Besides, other clubs can be punished for breaking the wage cap regulations, while others may go out of business, before March.

good point. this season will end in March not November. A team being religated could still end up in the premier.

sadloserkid
27/09/2008, 11:15 PM

life's tough. glad to see yell be going down!

How many other clubs are propped up by a large cash rich university?
Dry your eyes.

All trolling above surely? Or just smug, petty, childish nonsense from supporters of clubs that are getting treated lightly because the FAI want them at the top table and who accordingly are all **** a hoop because they got away with spending way beyond their means? I don't recall any such sneering from the UCD set when Sligo were playing their violin and wailing about being inches from death's door.

I'd be amazed if next season starts out following a nice uncomplicated onfield relegation/promotion situation anyway. There'll be plenty going on after the season officially ends.

soccerc
27/09/2008, 11:34 PM
All trolling above surely? Or just smug, petty, childish nonsense from supporters of clubs that are getting treated lightly because the FAI want them at the top table and who accordingly are all **** a hoop because they got away with spending way beyond their means? I don't recall any such sneering from the UCD set when Sligo were playing their violin and wailing about being inches from death's door.

I'd be amazed if next season starts out following a nice uncomplicated onfield relegation/promotion situation anyway. There'll be plenty going on after the season officially ends.

SLK, as usual a considered post ;)

sadloserkid
27/09/2008, 11:40 PM
SLK, as usual a considered post ;)

You know I have a vage recollection of you and I disagreeing about something in the past but I can't for the life of me remember what! :D

And consideration, in my less than humble opinion, is indicative of nothing other than a lack of belief in ones own opinion. ;)

El-Pietro
27/09/2008, 11:47 PM
Anyone know?

Bit of a stupid post though I can agree with your sentiment. But the wage cap isn't a weekly thing! Its gonna be based on season long totals. We bring in this much money over the course of a season or 12 months, we spend 65% or less on player salaries then we are fine, if we go over that level then we should be punished.

However I think anyone who wants to punish Cork City fans even more for being screwed over by a so called Cork Man is being a bit harsh.

I can understand where the UCD fans are coming from. Their club is probably the most professionally run club in the country, but you are a Franchise Limerick fan. You can't lecture us on running a club properly. You are as bad as Cork in recent years.

sadloserkid
27/09/2008, 11:50 PM
but you are a Franchise Limerick fan. You can't lecture us on running a club properly. You are as bad as Cork in recent years.

You realise that as a 'franchise' Limerick 37 are in fact a 'new' club? So only a great fool would blame a franchise for acts in past years. Oh... I see...

El-Pietro
28/09/2008, 12:02 AM
have a bit of sense. I hate seeing clubs in trouble, but it happens, mostly due to bad management.

You are all saying Cork City "cheated"

But then you say not to blame a new organisation for events passed..

Our owners promised us the sun moon and stars, then when they got bored they flaked off. We are left to pick up the pieces and hopefully we can get thinsg back on track and start to live within our means.

If you want to continue punishing us thats your perogative, I think we've been through enough and you can't continue to handicap us in our attempts to start again.

Edit: Pats are in the same boat we are in, just in much grander scales, and its paid off for them so far, but Kelleher could get bored any minute and then they will be staring in oblivion

also - whos to say we are over the 65% limit, we have a lot of creditors, up until recently the players were not among those creditors. Its entriely possible that we ****ed our money away on many other things, our crest for example....

soccerc
28/09/2008, 12:06 AM
You know I have a vage recollection of you and I disagreeing about something in the past but I can't for the life of me remember what! :D

And consideration, in my less than humble opinion, is indicative of nothing other than a lack of belief in ones own opinion. ;)

While we've had many constructive 'discussions' over the past 10 years or so that's not to say you were right!

Since when have you ever had a "less than humble opinon"?

sadloserkid
28/09/2008, 12:06 AM
If you want to continue punishing us thats your perogative, I think we've been through enough and you can't continue to handicap us in our attempts to start again.

Show me where I say that Cork City deserve more punishment? Cork did break rules, that's why they were deducted points surely? If more offences are uncovered, by any club there should be further punishments handed out. Why bother with rules otherwise?

Personally I'm just a bit taken aback at the classless, snide trite thrown at a frustrated UCD fan (and I am very aware that you are not guilty of this) and that was where my original post came from.

sadloserkid
28/09/2008, 12:09 AM
While we've had many constructive 'discussions' over the past 10 years or so that's not to say you were right!

Since when have you ever had a "less than humble opinon"?

Ten years huh? How time flies! :p And right and wrong is so subjective. There would be no point in discussion of anything if we didn't both believe we were right. Obviously I wouldn't bother expressing an opinion (humble or otherwise) that I didn't believe.

And my first LOI match was Limerick against St.Francis. :)

soccerc
28/09/2008, 12:13 AM
Pats are in the same boat we are in, just in much grander scales, and its paid off for them so far, but Kelleher could get bored any minute and then they will be staring in oblivion

Evidence please!

I'm not even going to outline any possible counter argument to the unsubstantiated, illinformed b ull sh it you've posted, except to say you are miles away from the reality in both cases :D

Until such time as you can categorically state Arkaga's decision to firstly become involved in and then withdraw from Cork City, I'd suggest you refrain from posting c r a p

soccerc
28/09/2008, 12:14 AM
And my first LOI match was Limerick against St.Francis. :)

Daragh, you've told me that before, many times :eek:

sadloserkid
28/09/2008, 12:15 AM
Daragh, you've told me that before, many times :eek:

Two 'r's but impressive recall nevertheless. :)

El-Pietro
28/09/2008, 12:17 AM
Evidence please!

I'm not even going to outline any possible counter argument to the unsubstantiated, illinformed b ull sh it you've posted, except to say you are miles away from the reality in both cases :D

Until such time as you can categorically state Arkaga's decision to firstly become involved in and then withdraw from Cork City, I'd suggest you refrain from posting c r a p
What?

Its fairly simple. Pats are relying on a sugar daddy, his name is Mr G. Kelleher

Cork City were relying on a sugar daddy his name was Mr. G. Walsh

ours got fed up, can't tell you what changed his mind, but he changed his mind an left us with debts that his employess (through Arkaga) has racked up.

kelleher may well stick with in the long run. He may not, I hope for Pats sake he does, but if I was their fans Id be getting worried and I'd be looking to get some sort of contingency plan set up.

If you think my posts are crap, why not explain how exactly to me, rather than posting idiotic smilies and not actually saying anythign other than I'm wrong.

I was obviously wrong about one thing. I thought football fora were for football discussion

soccerc
28/09/2008, 12:19 AM
Two 'r's but impressive recall nevertheless. :)

The problem is my old age, there are Dara's and Daragh's then Darragh's and that's before we go to Darach. I know people who each use different versions.

BTW, I still have that flawed* dissertation of yours LOL

soccerc
28/09/2008, 12:25 AM
What?

Its fairly simple. Pats are relying on a sugar daddy, his name is Mr G. Kelleher

Are we?

Cork City were relying on a sugar daddy his name was Mr. G. Walsh

ours got fed up, can't tell you what changed his mind, but he changed his mind an left us with debts that his employess (through Arkaga) has racked up.

Eh no, but it would not be in my interest to elaborate ;)

If you think my posts are crap, why not explain how exactly to me, rather than posting idiotic smilies and not actually saying anythign other than I'm wrong.

Smiles are there for a reason and more than happy to explian to you face to face but not on a forum. I suspect you are well aware of where I am comong from but you won't draw me out :D

El-Pietro
28/09/2008, 12:34 AM
Are we?
Well you aren't generating enough money to run the club yourselves, but if I am wrong, I'd be delighted to hear otherwise and would love to discuss off field revenue streams

Eh no, but it would not be in my interest to elaborate ;)

Id love to know more, you clearly seem to know far more than I do.

Smiles are there for a reason and more than happy to explian to you face to face but not on a forum. I suspect you are well aware of where I am comong from but you won't draw me out :D
Completely lost here sorry, I know what smilies are for, I understand that tone translates poorly on fora but you seem to be talking about something else

soccerc
28/09/2008, 12:42 AM
Id love to know more, you clearly seem to know far more than I do.

Completely lost here sorry, I know what smilies are for, I understand that tone translates poorly on fora but you seem to be talking about something else

Read my previous post :cool: