Sean Scannell - Crystal Palace
Noel Hunt - Reading
Liam Lawrence - Stoke City
Keith Treacy - Blackburn Rovers
Keith Andrews - Blackburn Rovers
Anthony Stokes - Sunderland

NeilMcD
25/09/2008, 1:15 PM
Sean St Ledger must feel left out , or is he injured and No Mc Cann either or John Joe O' Toole.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3627

shakermaker1982
25/09/2008, 1:32 PM
pity it's not played at the City ground, very handy for me!!!!

rambler14
25/09/2008, 1:40 PM
Sean St Ledger must feel left out , or is he injured and No Mc Cann either or John Joe O' Toole.

All those players played for their respective clubs at the weekend. I can only assume Preston, Burnley and Watford have training camps on or around the 9th October.

Sligo Hornet
25/09/2008, 1:40 PM

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3627

JJ went off injured against Reading on saturday, and did not play against West Ham on Tuesday night.....that said I think his injury was no more than a dead leg or similar

Sligo Hornet
25/09/2008, 1:43 PM
..and NO Stephen Ireland;)

disabledrog
25/09/2008, 2:24 PM
R seamus coleman from sligo,when is the game on

Brendan 82
25/09/2008, 2:26 PM
If 5 of those players turn out to be Premiership regulars we will be dong well

Dodge
25/09/2008, 2:31 PM
Reading that it seems Stephen Ward is being picked as a defender. Must have really improved since his move to full back. Good luck to him

tetsujin1979
25/09/2008, 2:31 PM
No Jamie McCarthy either

gwhite
25/09/2008, 2:33 PM
Decent squad. Whatever happened to Stan's 2 finds, Lee Frecklington and Lewis Emmanuel?

irishultra
25/09/2008, 2:39 PM
A joke Fahey was not selected, as well as Brian Murphy. Even Coleman of Sligo..A complete and utter joke.

Anyway price is good, will definetly be going.

NeilMcD
25/09/2008, 2:40 PM
Lads the one thing that should not happen is that managers slagged over players who they call up to the B Squad and then they turn out to be rubbish. If that was the case then managers would make conservative calls all the time. Staunton did far more damage then calling up those two guys. Ho harm in it at the time.

Also in relation to the call for Eircom League players. I do not think that Pat Fenlon would be too happy if Murphy was to miss the away match to Drogheda the next night due to this game. The Eircom League is not set up for the players to play international football as there are not international breaks.

dr_peepee
25/09/2008, 2:41 PM
Maybe he feels that McCann, O'Toole and McCarthy have platforms to show what they can do at U21 and that the like of Potter, Houlehan, Andrews don't????

NeilMcD
25/09/2008, 2:43 PM
The problem is that Mc Cann does not get on with Givens really and does he even play for the U21's at the moment.

pete
25/09/2008, 2:45 PM
Hard to know what he expected to see playing a Championship side & seems unlikely they would play a strong team.

Does Trappatoni watch club games live? :confused:

gspain
25/09/2008, 2:46 PM
Nice that the tickets are cheap. Would have liked to have seen McCarthy included too.

Btw it is Nottingham Forest. They do get picky about the Notts thing. Nottm is OK for short.

gwhite
25/09/2008, 2:47 PM
Lads the one thing that should not happen is that managers slagged over players who they call up to the B Squad and then they turn out to be rubbish. If that was the case then managers would make conservative calls all the time. Staunton did far more damage then calling up those two guys. Ho harm in it at the time.

Also in relation to the call for Eircom League players. I do not think that Pat Fenlon would be too happy if Murphy was to miss the away match to Drogheda the next night due to this game. The Eircom League is not set up for the players to play international football as there are not international breaks.

I was actually being serious when I said I wondered what happened to them.

irishultra
25/09/2008, 2:50 PM
well yeah I understand the league is more important than a match against forest, but still they deserve the respect of at least being told they would have been selected had they not been in the middle of their domestic campaign.

Dodge
25/09/2008, 2:52 PM
well yeah I understand the league is more important than a match against forest, but still they deserve the respect of at least being told they would have been selected had they not been in the middle of their domestic campaign.
Rubbish. They'd have taken it as the tokenism it was.

A couple might be good enough for the B squad but as Neil said, league football is far more important

NeilMcD
25/09/2008, 2:53 PM
Rubbish, they should be called up to the squad if they can play. But they cant play as they are busy the following night in league duty which is more important than this match. If they were given a call by Trap, it would be called tokenism by others. Players should be called up on the basis of two criteria, ability and availability.

irishultra
25/09/2008, 2:54 PM
and if they were available do you think any of them would have been selected?

NeilMcD
25/09/2008, 2:59 PM
If my Aunty had balls.

Brendan 82
25/09/2008, 3:38 PM
I would have like to have seen Fahey given a run but there are a lot of good youngsters in there so I don't really have any qualms

youngirish
25/09/2008, 3:46 PM
No John Joe O'Toole, Chris McCann or Jaime McCarthy three of our most exciting prospects all enjoying great starts to their respective seasons but Darren Potter is in there who has yet to get any game time at Wolves this season even though he's fit. Baffling in the extreme though a closer inspection to what was actually said when Trap was interviewed about the squad reveals all.

”I want to thank our scouting team and our U-21 manager Don Givens for identifying many new players who are performing well this year. I have already worked with some of this squad during our time in Portugal and I look forward to working with those I have not already seen."

Kerr is gone, Stan is gone but Don Givens remains in his post and seems to have more influence than ever. The FAI really need to shift that plank.

Colbert Report
25/09/2008, 4:25 PM
We need to cap Jamie McCarthy pronto a la Darron Gibson or Joseph Lapira. He's not ours yet. This guy could potentially be a starter in central midfield for us for the next fifteen years and it would break my heart to see him lining out for Scotland instead of us.

disabledrog
25/09/2008, 4:38 PM
yes mccarthy is a class act still v young and hope he doesnt burn out to quick with all the football he is playing,as for alex bruce he is a joke of a defender

Dodge
25/09/2008, 4:49 PM
We need to cap Jamie McCarthy pronto

You realise he wouldn't earn that cap v Notts Forest?

jbyrne
25/09/2008, 4:55 PM
We need to cap Jamie McCarthy pronto a la Darron Gibson or Joseph Lapira. He's not ours yet. This guy could potentially be a starter in central midfield for us for the next fifteen years and it would break my heart to see him lining out for Scotland instead of us.

if jamie mccarthy ends up playing for scotland it will only be because he wants to and in that case we are better off without him. however, i heard him say recently that he was committed to playing for us so give it time

Colbert Report
25/09/2008, 5:27 PM
Of course he won't earn a cap playing against Nottingham Forest. I'm not an idiot. My point was, we need to get him involved in the senior Irish set up. I brought this up because another lad mentioned him in this thread immediately before I responded.

eirebhoy
25/09/2008, 5:31 PM
Very little order to that squad on the FAI site.

Joe Murphy - Scunthorpe United
Keiren Westwood - Coventry City

Alex Bruce - Ipswich
Darren O’Dea - Celtic
Paddy McCarthy - Crystal Palace
Eddie Nolan - Blackburn Rovers
Kevin Foley - Wolves
Stephen Ward - Wolves

Darron Gibson - Manchester Utd
Darren Potter - Wolves
Owen Garvan - Ipswich
Keith Andrews - Blackburn Rovers
Martin Rowlands - QPR
Wes Hoolahan - Norwich
Liam Lawrence - Stoke City
Sean Scannell - Crystal Palace
Keith Treacy - Blackburn Rovers

Noel Hunt - Reading
Andy Keogh - Wolves
Caleb Folan - Hull City
Shane Long - Reading
Anthony Stokes - Sunderland

Looks better now. :)

Colbert Report
25/09/2008, 5:35 PM
Scannell is a striker isn't he?

livehead1
25/09/2008, 5:44 PM
lads, do any of you have an email addy for fai that can be used to contact someone with regard to making them aware of someones eligibility. i dont wanna say who as the player himself isn't 100% sure (he aint the brightest spark), but he's certainly an outstanding prospect and is likely to be travelling with squad.

Brendan 82
25/09/2008, 5:46 PM
Great to see Liam Lawrence in there. Hopefully he turns out and can play his way into the senior team, or at least the squad

Brendan 82
25/09/2008, 5:47 PM
lads, do any of you have an email addy for fai that can be used to contact someone with regard to making them aware of someones eligibility. i dont wanna say who as the player himself isn't 100% sure (he aint the brightest spark), but he's certainly an outstanding prospect and is likely to be travelling with squad.

You teasing bitch!;)

eirebhoy
25/09/2008, 5:55 PM
Scannell is a striker isn't he?
Not a striker imo. Walcott type.

Colbert Report
25/09/2008, 6:05 PM
Fair enough, I've only seen him on TV a couple of times.

Bohemian1890
25/09/2008, 6:22 PM
Rubbish, they should be called up to the squad if they can play. But they cant play as they are busy the following night in league duty which is more important than this match. If they were given a call by Trap, it would be called tokenism by others. Players should be called up on the basis of two criteria, ability and availability.

Why not play it on the Wednesday??

Good time to have a look at players.

Bohemian1890
25/09/2008, 6:23 PM
and if they were available do you think any of them would have been selected?

Eh..no they are not British:rolleyes:

musicinmouth
25/09/2008, 6:30 PM
Trapattoni: "I want to thank our scouting team and our Under 21 manager Don Givens for identifying many new players who are performing well this year. I have already worked with some of this squad during our time in Portugal and I look forward to working with those I have not already seen."

We must have a terrible scouting team if they haven't been able to recognise how well James McCarthy and John-Joe O'Toole have been playing of late...

zackmorris
25/09/2008, 6:42 PM

Try info@fai.ie and you may get somewhere with that. Any clues on the player? Thought Waters or Tabb would have made the squad.

youngirish
25/09/2008, 6:50 PM

Just mail the email address on their web page see if it gets to someone in the know.

Dodge
25/09/2008, 6:51 PM
Get himself to the Irish embassy. If he's not eligible for a passport, he's not eligible for the team. If he does get a passport, then contact the FAI

tetsujin1979
25/09/2008, 8:42 PM

I mailed info@fai.ie a few years ago about a player that might have been eligible. They got back to me about a month later to let me know they had checked him out, and he was ineligible.

robertob
25/09/2008, 8:45 PM
I'm really disappointed because Fahey and Brian Murphy are not nominated. I think's this two players are the brilliant actors of LOI this year. They deserve to get a chance in nationalteam, particularly in at match like this.

shakermaker1982
25/09/2008, 9:05 PM
I think I might know who Livehead is thinking off...... the guy is a very talented midfielder. Good prospect.

Irish_Praha
25/09/2008, 9:15 PM
I think I might know who Livehead is thinking off...... the guy is a very talented midfielder. Good prospect.

A young Forest player with an Irish name?

irishultra
25/09/2008, 9:48 PM
Lewis Shay McGugan

boovidge
25/09/2008, 11:30 PM
^

wiki says he's played for England at U17 level so he's English. Fair enough.

No Clinto in the squad :(

rambler14
26/09/2008, 12:02 AM
Those of you who are complaining about the lack of Eircom League players in the squad seem to be missing the fact that there are league matches that weekend so rather than annoy EL managers Trap did the sensible thing and didn't call up any.