PDA

View Full Version : Delaney Out!

Pages : [1] 2

eamo1
21/09/2008, 11:53 PM
Theres a piece in todays Mail on Sunday in which John Delaney talks about what he wants to achieve before he steps down from his job.In his reply he says he wants 2 things mainly
1-The youth academy place at Abottstown (or is it Adamstown)
2-To bring the 2011 UEFA cup final to the new Landsdown Road.
There is NOTHING in his future plans for the domestic league in this country.We all suspected there wasnt and now we know for sure.This is a disgrace that he never mentioned anything about the Eircom league.DELANEY OUT NOW!!At least P1 had a vision,WHAT HAVE THE FAI???????

gufcfan
22/09/2008, 12:14 AM
I wanted the c*** out ages ago.

My opinion hasn't changed an iota.

jebus
22/09/2008, 1:53 AM
Those two things are more important to the majority of football supporters in Ireland than anything else to be fair

stann
22/09/2008, 6:22 AM
P1 had no vision beyond their balance sheet.
Delaney actually is a fan of domestic football, believe it or not. He was at the Waterford - Wexford Youths game just gone, when he didn't have to be. 97% of this county's 'football fans' were not.
As jebus says, those things mentioned are more important to more people in the country than the eL is, but like him or loathe him there is no doubt he has done better by the league than a large number of his predecessors.

bennocelt
22/09/2008, 7:29 AM
P1 had no vision beyond their balance sheet.
Delaney actually is a fan of domestic football, believe it or not. He was at the Waterford - Wexford Youths game just gone, when he didn't have to be. 97% of this county's 'football fans' were not.
As jebus says, those things mentioned are more important to more people in the country than the eL is, but like him or loathe him there is no doubt he has done better by the league than a large number of his predecessors.

thats rubbish

stann
22/09/2008, 7:50 AM
No it's not.

Mr A
22/09/2008, 8:03 AM
I have little doubt that John Delaney is committed to improving the league. I don't agree with everything being done (the ten team premier in particular is a stupid idea) but I do think things have been getting significantly better in the last couple of years.

On the points he mentioned- having the UEFA Cup at Lansdowne would obviously mean it's finished, and Irish Football will have a home for its National team again. And who would argue that youth development is not important?

amaccann
22/09/2008, 8:10 AM
I think a Youth Academy is a good idea in the long run, vital for the future of the youth game, and I think Delaney's answers are more political than any attempt to p*ss of the league tbh.

Think about it for a second; setting up a Youth Academy & getting the final of a major European final, both of those are very achievable, immediate goals.

"Fixing" the league is a long-term, rolling-up-the-sleeves standard. Certainly nothing you can put a date on & Delaney is canny enough not to make any concrete promises. I believe them when they say they are working with the league, but I shouldn't take it as a slight.

Magicme
22/09/2008, 8:26 AM
Also these academy players will benefit the league in the long run too. Most of them wont make it abroad and will play here so if they are getting a better level of coaching from early on it can only raise the game of the league.

Delaney has done his best by the league by getting shot of P1 to begin with and the 10 team premier means that hopefully with more teams doing better in Europe there will be less fixture congestion. Look at Pats this season, they are playing games on top of each other to fulfil Setanta, Europe and the league. With less games to play in the Premier this will make it easier for them to cope with this.

bigmac
22/09/2008, 8:44 AM
:rolleyes: There's nothing in there about him wanting any success for the international team - does that mean he doesn't care about them either? He's an administrator, these are the things that he can affect and do himself. Can we keep the Delaney out threads until they're actually needed please.

Mr A
22/09/2008, 9:03 AM
Delaney has done his best by the league by getting shot of P1 to begin with and the 10 team premier means that hopefully with more teams doing better in Europe there will be less fixture congestion. Look at Pats this season, they are playing games on top of each other to fulfil Setanta, Europe and the league. With less games to play in the Premier this will make it easier for them to cope with this.

The 10 team premier means that premier sides will be playing 36 league games rather than 33, so fixture congestion will get worse. And what's more with playing the same teams so often it's bound to get boring.

And also- sod them. Too many games is a sign of success, I only wish Harps had that problem.

SwanVsDalton
22/09/2008, 9:25 AM
:rolleyes: There's nothing in there about him wanting any success for the international team - does that mean he doesn't care about them either? He's an administrator, these are the things that he can affect and do himself. Can we keep the Delaney out threads until they're actually needed please.

No way. Delaney out, he tried to sell the Eircom League to Peter Kenyon, sends promising young Irish talent to England on a dinghy and eats babies. :ball:

jebus
22/09/2008, 9:28 AM
No way. Delaney out, he tried to sell the Eircom League to Peter Kenyon, sends promising young Irish talent to England on a dinghy and eats babies. :ball:

Source?

SwanVsDalton
22/09/2008, 9:45 AM
Source?

Someone very high up at Merrion Sq - works on the 6th floor.

He's employed to lick the envelopes of Delaney's correspondance, privy to some hair-raising info. Also I hear our chief executive likes nothing more than to slip into a smoking jacket, pour a large snifter of Hennessy and read the finance reports of Eircom League sides, all the while laughing like a deranged mad-man. :eek:

Dodge
22/09/2008, 9:49 AM
Look at Pats this season, they are playing games on top of each other to fulfil Setanta, Europe and the league. With less games to play in the Premier this will make it easier for them to cope with this.

Just needs better planning. We're not playing an obscene amount of games. The league just needs to plan the season better. Have more games early in the season (and get rid of that stoopid summer break) and there's no problem. Lose tomorrow and Friday and we'll be complaining about free weekends...

Schumi
22/09/2008, 10:14 AM
Someone very high up at Merrion Sq - works on the 6th floor.Who does he work for?

SwanVsDalton
22/09/2008, 10:31 AM
Who does he work for?

The jesting will get far too elaborate if I answer that....

SalvadorSanchez
22/09/2008, 10:55 AM
Let's look at Delaneys "achievements"
he appointed Stan and set the international team back about 5 years by doing so.
He's jacked up tickets from €38 to €50 "it's cause we don't get friendlies at Croker"... cue friendlies at Croker and the tickets are still €50.00 and up
Lansdowne may be too small... should have gone for 65,000 I think... (prob not his fault)

However we can't blame him for naming the youth academy and the UEFA cup final as the priorities, they're what most of the public want to hear,
as LOI fans we're a minority and the state of the league is the fault of the clubs (more active participation and decisive leadership from the FAI might help)

I'd like to see someone else in charge of the FAI, someone with profile and charisma, in a lot of peoples eyes Delaney is a lame duck after the Staunton fiasco.... it's time to do the same in Abbotstown....admit the mistake, make a change and move on....

Mr A
22/09/2008, 11:26 AM
The Staunton thing was a disaster, but it's in the past now and we're moving forward. Ticket prices are high because they're paying massive rent on Croke Park, and anyway, so long as people are willing to pay it I don't see the problem.

Delaney may be a bit of a dictator at times- but at least there's a bit of leadership and direction there which was totally lacking in the past.

BohDiddley
22/09/2008, 11:27 AM
... we can't blame him for naming the youth academy and the UEFA cup final as the priorities, they're what most of the public want to hear,
Agreed

... as LOI fans we're a minority and the state of the league is the fault of the clubs (more active participation and decisive leadership from the FAI might help)
Whatever about who is to blame historically, it is unthinkable that the head of a national association would not have as a priority the development of his country's domestic game.

A face
22/09/2008, 11:37 AM
Agreed

Whatever about who is to blame historically, it is unthinkable that the head of a national association would not have as a priority the development of his country's domestic game.

Agreed, and them having season tickets at english clubs and not be seen all year at LOI games is enough to have them stand down in my opinion (a bit harsh i know but need to make examples of people imo). If they are not up to the job then they should step aside and leave it to someone who is.

Dodge
22/09/2008, 11:39 AM
I've no real problems with Delaney now. He's still far too obsessed with the premiership and English football for my liking but the FAI have at least made an effort witht he league

However, the UEFA Cup final a priority? Bit of strange one?

pineapple stu
22/09/2008, 11:40 AM
How much corporate money would it be worth?

Dodge
22/09/2008, 11:42 AM
To the FAI? Wouldn't have thought too much. Most of the sponsors etc would go into UEFA coffers, and I'd imagine UEFA would look after ticketing etc

bennocelt
22/09/2008, 11:44 AM
No it's not.

well care to elaborate then at how Delaney has been great for irish football:rolleyes:

and spare us the empty platitudes, etc

funny how brady is getting 600,000 (source Daily mail). and stapleton is getting 100,000, and probably kelly, Bonner, and the rest
And are they still paying Bobby?

By the way probably less than 400,000 prize money this year for the LOI winners!!!

Shocking the way football is run in this country, but maybe with the great "fans" we have who love the old bandwagon, maybe we deserve it:mad:

pete
22/09/2008, 11:52 AM
Removing Delaney suggests that it will fix all our problems - it is like a political party looking for new leader without looking at policies. The FAI needs stability & Delaney is the best option right now. The FAI is a much better run organisation especially commercially. He can be blamed for Staunton appointment not not necessarily the results but it also time to move on.

The Uefa Cup final is easily attainable & short of riots on the streets a good PR coup for the FAI as would give considerable exposure.

eamo1
22/09/2008, 12:13 PM
AFACE and BOHDIDLEY made my point in other words.That the head of football in this country does not see the development of the domestic game as a priority.This is a disgrace.Ive no objection to the other 2 things being done,but ahead of developing our league???Yes its a long term thing but you still put down long term objectives and goals to reach,Delaney shows no sign of doing this.Its poor management of football in this country and he has to go now in my opinion.Someone who has a vision for both the domestic and the international game has to step in.Otherwise where is this league headed??If the Head of football in this country cant answer that question then its poor management.
I SAY AGAIN DELANEY OUT.

Dodge
22/09/2008, 12:18 PM
But "developing the league" is an ongoing thing, and there are tons and tons of other factors in that too.

The youth thing and the UEFA Cup are definable measureable goals.

You're getting far too worked up about the language used. IF he had've said "Ireland to qualify for the world cup" instead, you might've had a point

bigmac
22/09/2008, 12:36 PM
In fairness, improving the league shouldn't really be that high on the FAI's agenda. Why should they bust their ass trying to generate profits for club owners? Their responsibility should be the roots of the game, and if they get this right, then the league should follow on from that. What we don't want is a situation like in England where the Premier league is pandered to at every hands turn to the detriment of the rest of the game.
Eamo - developing the league and developing domestic football are not the same thing and the FAI is rightly more concerned with the latter.

Dodge
22/09/2008, 12:47 PM
In fairness, improving the league shouldn't really be that high on the FAI's agenda. Why should they bust their ass trying to generate profits for club owners?

LOL. Profits...

eamo1
22/09/2008, 12:50 PM
Ok,fair points but i STILL think he could have mentioned it.Its like hes not even thinking about it,and when hes not then why should we.I love this league as crazy as that sounds and i know you all do too but i just want some ambition,especially from our top dogs.

bigmac
22/09/2008, 12:58 PM
LOL. Profits...

Fair enough - how about pandering to the egos of owners and bailing out irresponsibly run clubs? Profits is a bit much at this stage I suppose.

pineapple stu
22/09/2008, 12:58 PM
Agree with that to an extent. Given how incompentently most clobs are run in this league, you wouldn't want to help them.

Seagull-4-life
22/09/2008, 1:07 PM
If you's were Delaney, how would ye go about 'fixing the league'?

John83
22/09/2008, 1:12 PM
I'd have UCD win it. ;)

BohDiddley
22/09/2008, 1:33 PM
Filling in the gap between academies and European finals might be a good place to start.

Mr A
22/09/2008, 1:37 PM
However, the UEFA Cup final a priority? Bit of strange one?

I'd read that as simply meaning that Lansdowne is finished on time. Plus I'm sure even if the FAI don't make money directly it'll certainly be a feather in their cap when it comes to funding applications etc.

A face
22/09/2008, 1:40 PM
Yes its a long term thing but you still put down long term objectives and goals to reach, Delaney shows no sign of doing this. Its poor management of football in this country and he has to go now in my opinion. Someone who has a vision for both the domestic and the international game has to step in.

If someone cannot recognise that both domestic and international are inextricably linked for the future of football in this country then they have a duty to step aside. Relying on English clubs to develop our players is very last century and it has stopped working. Failure to recognise this should mean having to step aside.

Even in a country where the system is so messed up (FUBAR) this is something which cannot be ignored. Its simple, if the ability isn't there ...... then step aside.

pete
22/09/2008, 1:45 PM
According to the OP Delaney was asked about objectives up until the end of his contract. What could be an achievable goal for the LOI in the next 4 years?

Dodge
22/09/2008, 1:50 PM
I'd read that as simply meaning that Lansdowne is finished on time. Plus I'm sure even if the FAI don't make money directly it'll certainly be a feather in their cap when it comes to funding applications etc.
Oh I'm not saying the FAI shouldn't aim for it, and of course it'd be nice. I was just wondering whether there would be anything more worthwhile to aim for. In terms of measureables, there probably isn't.

John83
22/09/2008, 1:54 PM
According to the OP Delaney was asked about objectives up until the end of his contract. What could be an achievable goal for the LOI in the next 4 years?
The complete, total and utter destruction of Kildare County.

A face
22/09/2008, 2:02 PM
The complete, total and utter destruction of Kildare County.

The whole county? What would you put there instead, a lake of some sorts i suppose?

the-blue-harp
22/09/2008, 2:13 PM
Ok,fair points but i STILL think he could have mentioned it.Its like hes not even thinking about it,and when hes not then why should we.I love this league as crazy as that sounds and i know you all do too but i just want some ambition,especially from our top dogs.

i agree with that. your talking about priorities. while there has been improvements in enforcing fines!! as well as the CPO idea to help clubs run themselves effiecently, which prob just came a little late, there is so much that could be tackled in the league in the short term that would help it in the long term.... refereeing standards need to be addressed pronto.
a new marketing campaign needs to be in place, fai need to press the issue with rte and also address the irish newspapers. its hard to sell something when you dont believe in it yourself, and i dont believe the fai believes in the league.

John83
22/09/2008, 3:11 PM
The whole county? What would you put there instead, a lake of some sorts i suppose?
How long is it since Dublin last added a substantial reservoir? It's no wonder that ten consecutive days without rain triggers water conservation ads here. Fortunately, it's a rare occurrence.

stann
22/09/2008, 3:19 PM
The Staunton thing was a disaster, but it's in the past now and we're moving forward.

Let's look at Delaneys "achievements"
he appointed Stan and set the international team back about 5 years by doing so.

I don't want to become an apologist for the chap but I too think it's high time we let this go. Yes it was a fiasco but without it we wouldn't have Trappatoni now, and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

SalvadorSanchez
22/09/2008, 3:34 PM
I don't want to become an apologist for the chap but I too think it's high time we let this go. Yes it was a fiasco but without it we wouldn't have Trappatoni now, and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.
:confused: how do you figure that?

Delaney sacked Brian Kerr and said that we were going to get a top international manager with experience at the highest level and then appointed......Stan.
it doesn't follow that the disasterous appointment of Staunton directly lead to Trappatonis appointment.... we should have gotten Trap after Kerr. He also almost b*llsed up appointing Trap as well... how long did that take.... Sorry but JD has made too many mistakes in his time and I'll bet there's more to come...

stann
22/09/2008, 3:42 PM
Agreed, and them having season tickets at english clubs and not be seen all year at LOI games is enough to have them stand down in my opinion (a bit harsh i know but need to make examples of people imo). If they are not up to the job then they should step aside and leave it to someone who is.

Face that's just not true that he's not been seen all year at LOI games, I've just told you he was at the Blues game at the weekend, I said hello to the chap. He's been at several this season in fact.
I love that 'make an example' too. Who's going to make an example of him, and to whom? Who has the right to make such a punishment? Not you. You make me laugh with your obsessional dislike of the man. No balance there at all, so no point in discussing it.

well care to elaborate then at how Delaney has been great for irish football:rolleyes:

and spare us the empty platitudes, etc

First off I never said great for Irish football. I never mentioned Irish football at all. As people have said previously there's a lot more to Irish football than the eircom League.
What I said was, and you highlighted it yourself so I thought you might remember: "like him or loathe him there is no doubt he has done better by the league than a large number of his predecessors."
This is absolutely true, there is no room for opinion here. But you rubbished it so why don't you elaborate?

I'll give you three examples to start you off.
- The licencing, despite putting many clubs to the pin of their collars at present, is a good thing, and slowly will drag clubs into the late 20th Century at least.
- The U-20 league and A-Championships are also a good move. The one as a solely young player development league, the other as what I think (and hope) will eventually become a viable second tier under a 16 or 18 team Premier Division.
- Limerick 37 have a lot to be thankful to Delaney for. He also tried to bale Kilkenny out with the same investor, but was not taken up on it.

As pete pointed out, the quotes were in response to a question about his aims up to the end of his contract.

stann
22/09/2008, 3:48 PM
:confused: how do you figure that?

Delaney sacked Brian Kerr and said that we were going to get a top international manager with experience at the highest level and then appointed......Stan.
it doesn't follow that the disasterous appointment of Staunton directly lead to Trappatonis appointment.... we should have gotten Trap after Kerr. He also almost b*llsed up appointing Trap as well... how long did that take.... Sorry but JD has made too many mistakes in his time and I'll bet there's more to come...

We wouldn't have got Trappatoni after Kerr though, it wouldn't have even been concieved of as something we could do. Because without the Stan fiasco O'Brien wouldn't have rowed in with the cash to help get someone like Trap, he'd have remained way out of our price range.
If we didn't get Stan that time we'd have got another reasonably average manager who wouldn't have got us hammered by Cyprus, and who may well still be in charge, bowling along nicely finishing third in things.
I'm not suggesting for a second that it was some sort of cunning master plan, just how I see it having played out. I should, of course, have put an IMO after the 'deluded'. :D
Not arguing with that last point, but that wasn't the issue.

Oh, and just to let you know, Mr Staunton has nothing to do with my username. :D

bennocelt
22/09/2008, 4:49 PM
Face that's just not true that he's not been seen all year at LOI games, I've just told you he was at the Blues game at the weekend, I said hello to the chap. He's been at several this season in fact.

First off I never said great for Irish football. I never mentioned Irish football at all. As people have said previously there's a lot more to Irish football than the eircom League.
What I said was, and you highlighted it yourself so I thought you might remember: "like him or loathe him there is no doubt he has done better by the league than a large number of his predecessors."
This is absolutely true, there is no room for opinion here. But you rubbished it so why don't you elaborate?

I'll give you three examples to start you off.
- The licensing, despite putting many clubs to the pin of their collars at present, is a good thing, and slowly will drag clubs into the late 20th Century at least.
- The U-20 league and A-Championships are also a good move. The one as a solely young player development league, the other as what I think (and hope) will eventually become a viable second tier under a 16 or 18 team Premier Division.
- Limerick 37 have a lot to be thankful to Delaney for. He also tried to bale Kilkenny out with the same investor, but was not taken up on it.

i reckon you work for FAI, definitely, Come on - come clean

Wrong - The LOI is of huge importance to Irish football, of course it is. How many of the new players progressed from Irish football - a lot, and more to come. Ignore it at your peril

i rubbished it to highlight your nonsense - The FAI have and ARE rubbish, always and never ending.

The UEFA licensing is a joke. Few countries signed upto it, and it hasnt worked, so whats your point here?

The underage set-up; Man:rolleyes: you give Delaney credit for underage football!! The FAI has underage comps and leagues set up for yonks, its nothing new.

How many LOI teams have gone - kilkenny? Dublin City?
How many will survive?
Is the LOI looked after well enough under the FAI? No, of course not.

KevB76
22/09/2008, 5:06 PM
How many LOI teams have gone - kilkenny? Dublin City?

Kilkenny are still in existence and still have LOI status for whatever its worth.

Dublin City - werent they gone beofre the FAI took charge of the league ?

I'm with Stann on this one, from what I've seen and heard surrounding the rescue of Limerick FC* from extinction at the end of last season, I have no doubt that the FAI and Delaney in particular have the best interests of the league at heart.

* conveniently ignoring the fact we'd probably still have Danny Drew's version if the FAI hadn't killed it off !