PDA

View Full Version : LOI clubs producing youngsters?

irishultra
08/09/2008, 2:09 PM
Simply will it happen and what is being done to create the next waive of players for our league clubs and international team.

A bit pie in the sky, but with this centre of excellence being opened up it should work on a draft basis, with lets say 12 of the most promising graduates promoted to LOI clubs.

the-blue-harp
08/09/2008, 2:36 PM
Simply will it happen and what is being done to create the next waive of players for our league clubs and international team.

A bit pie in the sky, but with this centre of excellence being opened up it should work on a draft basis, with lets say 12 of the most promising graduates promoted to LOI clubs.

like american football, college drafts to the nfl?

Jofspring
08/09/2008, 2:38 PM
Limerick have two 17 year olds that went on an Irish Development team to Holland recently and are bringing through lots of young talent from limerick and the surrounding area (clare, tipperary etc..) at the moment and hopefully these players will be ones for the future in LOI or International. The good thing about it is that players are approaching limerick wanting to play LOI and test themselves.

irishultra
08/09/2008, 2:42 PM
yeah thats what i mean like. it would be cool if we produced players at home, and they actually played competitive football here, rather than wasting time over in england at 16(unless of course they have outragous talent and are destined to reach the first team)

I will say one thing though if we are to make our players here, we need to give them our own style and not be carbon copies of british players.

its good news about those players at limerick.

like american football

yeah, sort of.

Mr A
08/09/2008, 2:42 PM
The transition from 12 to 10 team premier means that relatively few clubs are in a position to take a chance on blooding youngsters this season. Indeed the ten team premier is likely to mean that fewer young players will get a chance at the highest level of the game here since clubs will be under more pressure with either Europe or relegation never too far away.

Jofspring
08/09/2008, 2:45 PM
There is plenty of talent out there and as you say alot of young players go over to england and waste their time in the reserves for lower league teams and never reach their potential. Irish clubs need to look more to the future players. I Think limerick and Wexford Youths are doing a great job in this way. Don't know much about the youth development or set ups of other clubs.

John83
08/09/2008, 2:49 PM
The transition from 12 to 10 team premier means that relatively few clubs are in a position to take a chance on blooding youngsters this season. Indeed the ten team premier is likely to mean that fewer young players will get a chance at the highest level of the game here since clubs will be under more pressure with either Europe or relegation never too far away.
Surely some clubs will resort to youngsters, given the tightening budgets around the place?

Jofspring
08/09/2008, 2:49 PM

its a pity that things are going to be that way (for a while at least), but i think limerick and Wexford are a great example for other clubs, both are blooding through new players for the future and in turn both in financially comfortable positions because they aren't paying out massive wages to older players.

irishultra
08/09/2008, 2:51 PM
It will be interesting with this Dutch guy in charge of player development to see what happens.

Dodge
08/09/2008, 2:53 PM

Would the flip of that be that there'd be more spots available for youngsters in division 1, therefore creating another bridge between schoolboy and top level football?

Jofspring
08/09/2008, 3:07 PM
Would the flip of that be that there'd be more spots available for youngsters in division 1, therefore creating another bridge between schoolboy and top level football?

Also plenty of places in the U20's and A Championship for youngsters to be developed and as you say bridge the gap between schoolboy and top level football.

Battery Rover
08/09/2008, 3:28 PM
We are looking at going 16s, 17s, 18s, 20s and first team next season maybe even 15s as well.

Mr A
08/09/2008, 3:42 PM

True of course, but D1 has never been an environment conducive to the radical development of silky football skills :)

Dodge
08/09/2008, 3:58 PM
Luckily the premier is pure brazillian at this stage...

pineapple stu
08/09/2008, 4:04 PM
Compared to the First Division, it is.

You're right that if there's 22 clubs, there's always 242 first team places up for grabs, but it's probably better for the younger players to throw them in in the Premier. Learn more earlier.

To summarise - Keep UCD in the Premier. :)

niallsparky
08/09/2008, 4:08 PM
Bohs have completely restructured their youth system with the partnership they've made with DCU. Considering the scholarships and world class facilities on offer, Bohs should be the place to be for North Dublin based young players. Rovers have done a lot of work in Tallaght aswell which should see a shift of the power in youth football in South Dublin.

finnpark
08/09/2008, 4:13 PM

Hopefully, these centers and the FAI's new youth academies will be protected from foreign invasion. I can see British clubs coming in (with their overweight scouts with Dublin accents) and simply grabbing what they want, throw them on the subs for a few years, wreck their lives etc - just what they do at present to 99% of players they steal from under the noses of the FAI.

Youth development produces new talent and drives down wages. LOI clubs like Cork should take note! I know that Cork have a good youth system but how many players have they held onto that progressed to senior club level?

I think that professional/full time training for the most talented school goers is a good idea - a summer training camp in other words. Unfortunately most clubs do not have the money to invest in professional youth development hence the cycle of overpaid rejects continues. :)

finnpark
08/09/2008, 4:14 PM
Bohs have completely restructured their youth system with the partnership they've made with DCU. Considering the scholarships and world class facilities on offer, Bohs should be the place to be for North Dublin based young players. Rovers have done a lot of work in Tallaght aswell which should see a shift of the power in youth football in South Dublin.

Hopefully some club will do something similar with UCD also. UCD produce good players but they are not really a football club. They can never be professional can they?

pineapple stu
08/09/2008, 4:17 PM
They can never be professional can they?
Course we can. Why can't we?

pete
08/09/2008, 4:18 PM
Also plenty of places in the U20's and A Championship for youngsters to be developed and as you say bridge the gap between schoolboy and top level football.

If someone has not broken through to first team by 20 chances are won't make it to the highest level.

Sam_Heggy
08/09/2008, 5:18 PM
Shamrock Rovers youth developement seems to be pretty good.
They are constantly having trials for various age groups and are signing young players from development squads.
They have just signed a young lad from Donegal who they saw playing for Ireland home based u-18 team.

finnpark
08/09/2008, 5:59 PM

With respect I don't think that a University will ever have any credibility as a professional football club and I think the extremely poor crowds and lack of ability to hold onto players demonstrates this.

gotaroundbetter
08/09/2008, 6:10 PM
We are looking at going 16s, 17s, 18s, 20s and first team next season maybe even 15s as well.

Would love to be enlighten on how this works out as I know in Waterford there seem to be a problem say with the u20's your taking players from their junior clubs at the start of their season and their not happy.
Whats the story with dual registration something that can't/ won't happen in the Waterford jurisdiction should it be taken out of the hands of local officials.
Love to hear how schoolboy sections are formed( is it down to hard work or are you restrained by the attitudes of the local junior/schoolboy committees ??) Did Wexford youths have a similar prob,?

pineapple stu
08/09/2008, 6:15 PM
With respect I don't think that a University will ever have any credibility as a professional football club and I think the extremely poor crowds and lack of ability to hold onto players demonstrates this.
Credibility's irrelevant. There's plenty of clubs in the league currently who aren't credible as professional outfits, but players play full-time for them.

If crowds increase, we could go fully pro. Same as any other club.

blackholesun
08/09/2008, 7:24 PM
Barry Murphy and Paraic Amond both came through the Rovers schoolboys. Also expect to see good things from Ciaran Kilduff and Dean Lawrence who are out on loan in the first division and came thought the schoolboys next season in Tallaght. Dave Mooney also came through a few years ago and his younger brother is also currently playing for the u17s.

bhs

niallsparky
08/09/2008, 9:35 PM
Barry Murphy and Paraic Amond both came through the Rovers schoolboys. Also expect to see good things from Ciaran Kilduff and Dean Lawrence who are out on loan in the first division and came thought the schoolboys next season in Tallaght. Dave Mooney also came through a few years ago and his younger brother is also currently playing for the u17s.

bhs

Barry Murphy came from Leicester Celtic schoolboys. Went to Rovers when he was about 19.

Blueandproud
09/09/2008, 12:02 AM
We have produced some wonderful, young, local, talented players
such as, Kenny Browne, Paul McCarthy, Kieran Fitzgerald,
Gary Dunphy and David Grincell to name but a few.

gufcfan
09/09/2008, 12:29 AM

Serious question, where does the finance for UCD come from?

DRDoc
09/09/2008, 12:35 AM

Serious question, where has the finance for Galway gone?

HarpoJoyce
09/09/2008, 1:27 AM

The answer to your question is complex and in the hostile environment of foot.ie you'll be lucky to get a full one. We don't have much in the bank, when money is available through traditional revenue streams or succesful applications then we spend it.
UCD Sports getting 1.25m in 2006 allocated to UCD Soccer and UCD Rugby for the UCD Bowl. Phase I.
http://www.ucd.ie/campusdevelopment/developmentprojects/belfield_bowl.html
"..Project Timeline
Phase I of this project was completed late 2007. An allocation of €1.25 million was made to UCD in 2006 as part of the DAST annual sports capital grant scheme. "

blackholesun
09/09/2008, 6:36 AM
Barry Murphy came from Leicester Celtic schoolboys. Went to Rovers when he was about 19.

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/squad.php

You are wrong, he first played for Rovers in 2001 and he is still only 23, which meant he was 16 when he signed for us.

bhs

Youths4Ever
09/09/2008, 8:00 AM
Would love to be enlighten on how this works out as I know in Waterford there seem to be a problem say with the u20's your taking players from their junior clubs at the start of their season and their not happy.
Whats the story with dual registration something that can't/ won't happen in the Waterford jurisdiction should it be taken out of the hands of local officials.
Love to hear how schoolboy sections are formed( is it down to hard work or are you restrained by the attitudes of the local junior/schoolboy committees ??) Did Wexford youths have a similar prob,?

from what I can gather attempts where made to set up schoolboy section this year in the youths but it was blocked by local junior/schoolboy committees. I am open to correction on this as I do not know full in's and out of it will not go into it.

Before we became a LOI club we did produce youth players and still are doing so Kevin Doyle being the most famous. Some of the current crop have been capped by Ireland and may have a professional future

pineapple stu
09/09/2008, 11:43 AM
The answer to your question is complex and in the hostile environment of foot.ie you'll be lucky to get a full one. We don't have much in the bank, when money is available through traditional revenue streams or succesful applications then we spend it.
UCD Sports getting 1.25m in 2006 allocated to UCD Soccer and UCD Rugby for the UCD Bowl. Phase I.
http://www.ucd.ie/campusdevelopment/developmentprojects/belfield_bowl.html
"..Project Timeline
Phase I of this project was completed late 2007. An allocation of €1.25 million was made to UCD in 2006 as part of the DAST annual sports capital grant scheme. "
A superb politician's answer, giving lots of info but no answer. ;)

DRDoc's post is much more to the point.

Edit - or it would have been if it said "Serious question, where does the finance for Galway come from?" Didn't notice the sly little aside!