PDA

View Full Version : Should my future kids support Dundalk even though they won't live there..?

Pages : [1] 2

holidaysong
04/09/2008, 8:06 PM
I have a question to ask:

I live in Dublin with my girlfriend and I'll probably continue living here when I'm older and I'm starting a family. When my kids are old enough to be interested in football should I bring them along/encourage them to go along to see their local Dublin club or should I bring them up and down to Oriel to see Dundalk FC when I'm going, or should I do both?

My kids aren't going to have a Dundalk accent or see is as their home so I can't see them getting attached to the club but on the other hand I'm not sure I could encourage them to go along and support a LOI side that wasn't Dundalk FC...

Anyone out there with kids found themselves with such a dilemma?

Stevo Da Gull
04/09/2008, 8:10 PM
They should support Bray :D

Honestly though, if you could get them into the LOI and let them eventually make their mind up it would be great but that isn't as easy as brainwashing kids into supporting a team as most parents do.

(bet you never saw that first answer coming :o)

holidaysong
04/09/2008, 8:25 PM
Living in D2, I don't even know who the local LOI side here is.. Shels or Rovers by tradition I guess, but not by geography!

Paddyfield
04/09/2008, 9:34 PM
A Dundalk fan I know who lives in Galway since late 80's attends GUFC games with his son. The Dad is 51% Dundalk fan (he'd prefer Dundalk to win if they were playing GUFC) and his teenaged son is 51% Galway United.

They both go to Terryland all the time and whenever they go to see Grandad in Dundalk, they always make sure that it coincided with a Dundalk home game (which is a pain in the hole as they play on Thursdays).

I don't think I have answered your question.

Dave77
05/09/2008, 12:57 AM
my dad is a sligo rovers fan and brought me to their games when they played in dublin, then i moved to drumcondra and started going to tolka and never really stopped.

i think its just natural you make your own decision!

mind you will always have a soft spot for the bit o' red, they got me interested in LOI

noby
05/09/2008, 8:04 AM

I live in Dublin with my girlfriend and I'll probably continue living here when I'm older and I'm starting a family.

When you start to settle down and start a family you'll suddenly wake up one morning with Kildare County being your local side, wondering how you got there. D2 will be just a distant memory.

Lionel Ritchie
05/09/2008, 8:07 AM
I've taken my little fellah along to see Limerick and, while he's still too young to really get the football, he totally loves the buzz. He is of course half-Mon and regularily trots off to pre-school here in Limerick in his Monaghan United top. That both sides wear similar colours may turn out to be an advantage but I'd expect him to actively support both whenever practical.

jinxy lilywhite
05/09/2008, 8:11 AM
A dilemma indeed.
Holidaysong I'd say you'd do the right thing and enlist another dundalk fc fanatic. Seriously though an impressionable son always wants to be his father. So when you attend games he'll probably want to go with you. If he enjoys it he will support them. He'll probably support another team later on in his/her teens :eek: but then they could have a soft spot for the town.
I wouldn't get too worried about it though cause it would be a good few years off. Just remeber to tell him/her that Drogheda is evil and you will disown them if they support shels, rovers, pats, bohs. Tell them its nothing personal just football

Sunny Jim
05/09/2008, 8:11 AM
My kids aren't old enough to be interested yet, but it's something I've thought about. I would hope that they'll support the Wexford Youths but given that our nearest club is Athlone Town it'll be a bit awkward. It's a long journey to inflict on kids so I suppose I'll have to wait and see. But the brainwashing has already started!

Ash
05/09/2008, 8:12 AM
Town fan Battery Rover currently lives in Limerick and his young fella is Athlone
Town mad. BR never misses a game and his son travels up to a good few game
and he knows more about the players than half the local youngsters.

@holidaysong, if you still are going to Oriel then bring him along and see what happens.

redobit
05/09/2008, 8:27 AM
Have to say that is one of the toughest questions ive seen on Foot. Personally, as a third generation rovers fan it would kill me to see my son (year and a half) cheerin for another LOI team.
Im sure he will always have a soft spot for Dundalk but IMO you should give back to the local community football in the area you live and thus support the local LOI team.

jinxy lilywhite
05/09/2008, 8:43 AM
When you start to settle down and start a family you'll suddenly wake up one morning with Kildare County being your local side, wondering how you got there. D2 will be just a distant memory.

Hee Hee

Magicme
05/09/2008, 9:10 AM
I had a big piece typed when my computer crashed so will keep this brief.

Dont worry about it. In a few years they are bringing in a law that bans Dundalk fans from reproducing.

I can dream can't I?? :p

jinxy lilywhite
05/09/2008, 9:22 AM
I had a big piece typed when my computer crashed so will keep this brief.

Dont worry about it. In a few years they are bringing in a law that bans Dundalk fans from reproducing.

I can dream can't I?? :p

Sellafield or whatever the f*** its called is doing that I'd say.

ndrog
05/09/2008, 10:13 AM
My 2 nephews live in Dundalk :( but all there uncles and both grandfathers are Drogs supporters .They only way they will be encouraged to support Dundalk is if theres no DUFC , which at the moment looks a real possibility :confused:

mcgonigle
05/09/2008, 10:16 AM
My dad is Dundalk through and through, never misses a game. He's from the town but moved to Dublin over 30 years ago. So I was born and grew up in Dublin. Four of us (me and my dad and a father and son bohs fans) used to go to a Dundalk match on a Thursday and a bohs match on a Friday/Saturday. I choose to support Dundalk because of him and have never regretted my decision, love the club.

Anyway I've never lived in Dundalk although I have relatives there and I have a Dublin accent but I still feel at home in Oriel. I suggest bringing your kids to matches with you and they will know in time if they want to support Dundalk.

jinxy lilywhite
05/09/2008, 10:17 AM
My 2 nephews live in Dundalk :( but all there uncles and both grandfathers are Drogs supporters .They only way they will be encouraged to support Dundalk is if theres no DUFC , which at the moment looks a real possibility :confused:

ah touchè. My nephew lives in Dundalk but his father is a Drog supporter (who lives in Dundalk). Had a lot of fun last season converting him to the lilywhite cause. Worked a treat.

Nothing like a family tug o war.

I don't why ye drogs are getting so upset about the possibility of no DUFC. There will always be a LOI side representing Drogheda just not the same capacity. It will just be like pre-2002.

oriel
05/09/2008, 11:07 AM
good topic

I also dont live in dundalk , but lived there for 20 yrs, have been a supporter for 30, no question where my son will be going (no el team in my town) when he`s old enough (well i hope)

holiday - im assuimg you are renting (i could be very wrong), also i`d say when you settle down it wont be Dublin......................come home brother and join the campaign for non thurs night football !

eelmonster
05/09/2008, 11:33 AM
living in d2, i don't even know who the local loi side here is.. Shels or rovers by tradition i guess, but not by geography!

ucd? ;)

Macy
05/09/2008, 11:33 AM
I'll have the same dilemma, as we're not likely to be down in Longford all that much. Rather they get into LoI by taking them to the local club, than random visits to Town games.

Mind you, going to the Carlisle with children could be alright. Going on previous experience, everyone else seems to just let their kids run wild for two hours annoying the away fans, so I could have a couple of hours peace. :D

holidaysong
05/09/2008, 11:39 AM

holiday - im assuimg you are renting (i could be very wrong), also i`d say when you settle down it wont be Dublin......................come home brother and join the campaign for non thurs night football !

I'm not renting no, so it's D2 for the foreseeable future.. Personally I'd love to move back to Dundalk in a few years when I'm thinking about kids but the woman is from Wexford so we have kind of agreed to stay in Dublin as it's a half way point. Both of us went to college here and have a lot of friends here too..

One thing is for sure though, the kids won't be running around in them pink jerseys they have down there! :o

Drogman.
05/09/2008, 12:00 PM

I live in Dublin with my girlfriend and I'll probably continue living here when I'm older and I'm starting a family. When my kids are old enough to be interested in football should I bring them along/encourage them to go along to see their local Dublin club or should I bring them up and down to Oriel to see Dundalk FC when I'm going, or should I do both?

My kids aren't going to have a Dundalk accent or see is as their home so I can't see them getting attached to the club but on the other hand I'm not sure I could encourage them to go along and support a LOI side that wasn't Dundalk FC...

I think the real question here is why do you have to come onto a forum and ask some random and often weird people for advice on your kids future?

The only reason that I can think of is that you're from Dundalk and looking to start a family so you must be only 15 yrs old or something. :eek:

You'll grow up eventually and figure it out. Don't worry. ;)

holidaysong
05/09/2008, 12:02 PM
I think the real question here is why do you have to come onto a forum and ask some random and often weird people for advice on your kids future?

The only reason that I can think of is that you're from Dundalk and looking to start a family so you must be only 15 yrs old or something. :eek:

You'll grow up eventually and figure it out. Don't worry. ;)

Yes I am 15.. :rolleyes:

I'm sure other people have been in a similar situation (like mcgonigle) and I'd like to hear about them..

That ok with you?

superfrank
05/09/2008, 12:10 PM
I'd just bring them along to the local side and have Dundalk as a second team.

Drogman.
05/09/2008, 12:18 PM
That ok with you?

Ah yeah that's grand.

BTW, shouldn't this be in the Personal Issue's section?

Dodge
05/09/2008, 12:20 PM

They should follow Pats, like all the cool kids...

Mr A
05/09/2008, 12:23 PM
Eh ENNNNGH!

Computer says no- supporting Dundalk is morally wrong.

jinxy lilywhite
05/09/2008, 12:35 PM
Eh ENNNNGH!

Computer says no- supporting Dundalk is morally wrong.

Supporting Harps would make me suicidal

cheifo
05/09/2008, 1:04 PM
Barry, for Gods sake be a man about it, and just brain wash them to share your passion for your club.
Forget the new age parenting guides, it is your ladies duty to endure an entire Household of pain when ye lose a match.
When men say I want to have Kids, what we really mean is "there should be more of me".:);)

cheifo
05/09/2008, 1:06 PM
.......Oh and you will surprised to learn I am currently single.:D

boovidge
05/09/2008, 1:06 PM
Just get them out in mini celtic jerseys so they wont be get bullied ;)

Hulsey
05/09/2008, 1:23 PM
When I have a kid if he decides to support anyone other than Bray he's living in the shed :D

White Horse
05/09/2008, 1:31 PM
Don't worry about it. I've been there.

Kids make up their own minds on these things.

You'll have a tougher job just getting them to be interested in the LOI.

Drogman.
05/09/2008, 1:39 PM
When I have a kid if he decides to support anyone other than Bray he's living in the shed :D

I hope you won't keep him/her there for 24 years or so :eek:

You don't have an Austrian uncle by any chance, do you?

Magicme
05/09/2008, 1:40 PM
Bring them to games from they are really young, buy them the jerseys etc and they will feel a sense of belonging but I do think you should bring them to your local club too. Get them playing football locally and belonging to the footballing community in the area.

dublin_owl
05/09/2008, 1:44 PM
I'm not renting no, so it's D2 for the foreseeable future.. Personally I'd love to move back to Dundalk in a few years when I'm thinking about kids but the woman is from Wexford so we have kind of agreed to stay in Dublin as it's a half way point. Both of us went to college here and have a lot of friends here too..

One thing is for sure though, the kids won't be running around in them pink jerseys they have down there! :o

:) We're polar opposites.

I'm from Wexford, living in Dublin, married to a Dundalk woman. In all likelyhood we'll be moving to Dundalk in the next year or so to start a family.

I'd love to thinkn my future kids would be Wexford supporters (GAA and Youths) but realistically I'll probably be taking them to Oriel a lot more often than Ferrycarraig. The blighters will be getting dragged over to Hillsborough too, (when they misbehave ;)).

Kingdom
05/09/2008, 3:56 PM

Excellent wit, enjoyed that one. :)

mypost
05/09/2008, 4:06 PM

It's a simple answer really. They should support your own team. Whether you live in Dublin or Dubai, if you support Dundalk, so should they.

cheifo
05/09/2008, 4:07 PM

Couldn't threaten kids up here with that as most people describe FP as a Big Shed.

BohDiddley
05/09/2008, 4:32 PM
I had a similar dilemma, living in south Dublin as I do.

Should they be Rovers, should they be Bohs...

It's not very hard, you see.

Raheny Red
05/09/2008, 4:43 PM

Don't bring them to Oriel Park, that's child abuse ;)

holidaysong
05/09/2008, 4:46 PM
Barry, for Gods sake be a man about it, and just brain wash them to share your passion for your club.

It's a simple answer really. They should support your own team. Whether you live in Dublin or Dubai, if you support Dundalk, so should they.

These are the kind of answers I was hoping for.. Brainwashing it is! :D The poor kids - if they weren't going to be bullied for supporting a LOI club, they will surely be bullied for supporting a different one to their friends..

dancinpants
05/09/2008, 4:59 PM
You've probably poxed yourself holidaysong, your future wife will have all girls and they won't give a sh*t about football let alone who they're supposed to support. :D

Candystripe
05/09/2008, 5:02 PM
As you'll be bringing them up in Dublin, you should like a few guys I know from Dublin support Derry city as we play in Dublin almost every 2nd week.

They will get to stand and sing and bang drums along with the famous red n' white army and also get the chance to see most of the Dublin premier clubs. They may also get the chance to travel to places like the Parc de Prince etc' and watch Derry win at least two trophies every 3 years (thats our ratio since 85').

If they're good they get to come along to the Brandywell and stand in section J.

You know it makes sense.

boovidge
05/09/2008, 5:41 PM
I can imagine a "Billy Elliott" situation. Holidaysong gives his kid some money to see a LOI match and he goes to see a GAA game instead. :D

holidaysong
05/09/2008, 5:47 PM
I can imagine a "Billy Elliott" situation. Holidaysong gives his kid some money to see a LOI match and he goes to see a GAA game instead. :D

I don't think I could accept a gah son, all those bright clothes and the fancy footwork!

CharlesThompson
05/09/2008, 7:38 PM

The missus is due our first in March. If it supports anyone other than Bohs, I'm bringing it back to the hospital and getting it fixed or replaced!

stamullendrog
05/09/2008, 7:49 PM
from reading thru this thread there seems to be a lot of people who have moved away from dundalk for some reason ;) im due my first in a couple of weeks and im being told they will support dublin,i know its a different sport but im meath and will be bringing them(yes them its twins)only to meath games when it comes to gaelic so they should develop that sense of belonging mentioned before its that simple really.

John83
05/09/2008, 7:51 PM
Sellafield or whatever the f*** its called is doing that I'd say.
It's just forcing a shorter reproduction cycle on them through natural selection.

Schumi
06/09/2008, 1:10 AM
When I have a kid if he decides to support anyone other than Bray he's living in the shed :DOoh tough choice!