Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should my future kids support Dundalk even though they won't live there..?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

Question Should my future kids support Dundalk even though they won't live there..?

I have a question to ask:

I live in Dublin with my girlfriend and I'll probably continue living here when I'm older and I'm starting a family. When my kids are old enough to be interested in football should I bring them along/encourage them to go along to see their local Dublin club or should I bring them up and down to Oriel to see Dundalk FC when I'm going, or should I do both?

My kids aren't going to have a Dundalk accent or see is as their home so I can't see them getting attached to the club but on the other hand I'm not sure I could encourage them to go along and support a LOI side that wasn't Dundalk FC...

Anyone out there with kids found themselves with such a dilemma?
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    They should support Bray

Honestly though, if you could get them into the LOI and let them eventually make their mind up it would be great but that isn't as easy as brainwashing kids into supporting a team as most parents do.

(bet you never saw that first answer coming )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Living in D2, I don't even know who the local LOI side here is.. Shels or Rovers by tradition I guess, but not by geography!
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    A Dundalk fan I know who lives in Galway since late 80's attends GUFC games with his son. The Dad is 51% Dundalk fan (he'd prefer Dundalk to win if they were playing GUFC) and his teenaged son is 51% Galway United.

They both go to Terryland all the time and whenever they go to see Grandad in Dundalk, they always make sure that it coincided with a Dundalk home game (which is a pain in the hole as they play on Thursdays).

I don't think I have answered your question.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    my dad is a sligo rovers fan and brought me to their games when they played in dublin, then i moved to drumcondra and started going to tolka and never really stopped.

i think its just natural you make your own decision!

mind you will always have a soft spot for the bit o' red, they got me interested in LOI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    I have a question to ask:

I live in Dublin with my girlfriend and I'll probably continue living here when I'm older and I'm starting a family.

When you start to settle down and start a family you'll suddenly wake up one morning with Kildare County being your local side, wondering how you got there. D2 will be just a distant memory.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I've taken my little fellah along to see Limerick and, while he's still too young to really get the football, he totally loves the buzz. He is of course half-Mon and regularily trots off to pre-school here in Limerick in his Monaghan United top. That both sides wear similar colours may turn out to be an advantage but I'd expect him to actively support both whenever practical.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    A dilemma indeed.
    Holidaysong I'd say you'd do the right thing and enlist another dundalk fc fanatic. Seriously though an impressionable son always wants to be his father. So when you attend games he'll probably want to go with you. If he enjoys it he will support them. He'll probably support another team later on in his/her teens but then they could have a soft spot for the town.
    I wouldn't get too worried about it though cause it would be a good few years off. Just remeber to tell him/her that Drogheda is evil and you will disown them if they support shels, rovers, pats, bohs. Tell them its nothing personal just football
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    My kids aren't old enough to be interested yet, but it's something I've thought about. I would hope that they'll support the Wexford Youths but given that our nearest club is Athlone Town it'll be a bit awkward. It's a long journey to inflict on kids so I suppose I'll have to wait and see. But the brainwashing has already started!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Town fan Battery Rover currently lives in Limerick and his young fella is Athlone
    Town mad. BR never misses a game and his son travels up to a good few game
    and he knows more about the players than half the local youngsters.

@holidaysong, if you still are going to Oriel then bring him along and see what happens.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    Have to say that is one of the toughest questions ive seen on Foot. Personally, as a third generation rovers fan it would kill me to see my son (year and a half) cheerin for another LOI team.
    Im sure he will always have a soft spot for Dundalk but IMO you should give back to the local community football in the area you live and thus support the local LOI team.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    When you start to settle down and start a family you'll suddenly wake up one morning with Kildare County being your local side, wondering how you got there. D2 will be just a distant memory.
    Hee Hee
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    I had a big piece typed when my computer crashed so will keep this brief.

Dont worry about it. In a few years they are bringing in a law that bans Dundalk fans from reproducing.

I can dream can't I??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    I had a big piece typed when my computer crashed so will keep this brief.

Dont worry about it. In a few years they are bringing in a law that bans Dundalk fans from reproducing.

I can dream can't I??
    Sellafield or whatever the f*** its called is doing that I'd say.
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    My 2 nephews live in Dundalk but all there uncles and both grandfathers are Drogs supporters .They only way they will be encouraged to support Dundalk is if theres no DUFC , which at the moment looks a real possibility

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    My dad is Dundalk through and through, never misses a game. He's from the town but moved to Dublin over 30 years ago. So I was born and grew up in Dublin. Four of us (me and my dad and a father and son bohs fans) used to go to a Dundalk match on a Thursday and a bohs match on a Friday/Saturday. I choose to support Dundalk because of him and have never regretted my decision, love the club.

Anyway I've never lived in Dundalk although I have relatives there and I have a Dublin accent but I still feel at home in Oriel. I suggest bringing your kids to matches with you and they will know in time if they want to support Dundalk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ndrog View Post
    My 2 nephews live in Dundalk but all there uncles and both grandfathers are Drogs supporters .They only way they will be encouraged to support Dundalk is if theres no DUFC , which at the moment looks a real possibility
    ah touchè. My nephew lives in Dundalk but his father is a Drog supporter (who lives in Dundalk). Had a lot of fun last season converting him to the lilywhite cause. Worked a treat.

Nothing like a family tug o war.

I don't why ye drogs are getting so upset about the possibility of no DUFC. There will always be a LOI side representing Drogheda just not the same capacity. It will just be like pre-2002.
    Last edited by jinxy lilywhite; 05/09/2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Other stuff to write
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts
    good topic

I also dont live in dundalk , but lived there for 20 yrs, have been a supporter for 30, no question where my son will be going (no el team in my town) when he`s old enough (well i hope)

holiday - im assuimg you are renting (i could be very wrong), also i`d say when you settle down it wont be Dublin......................come home brother and join the campaign for non thurs night football !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    living in d2, i don't even know who the local loi side here is.. Shels or rovers by tradition i guess, but not by geography!
    ucd?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I'll have the same dilemma, as we're not likely to be down in Longford all that much. Rather they get into LoI by taking them to the local club, than random visits to Town games.

Mind you, going to the Carlisle with children could be alright. Going on previous experience, everyone else seems to just let their kids run wild for two hours annoying the away fans, so I could have a couple of hours peace.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast