Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joseph Lapira

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    deserved has little or nothing to do with it. He is an Irish international and all discussions about him or his career deserve to be in the international forum
    Rightyo then I'll remember to keep all Joe Gamble, Colin Healy and Gareth Farrelly convos in here too. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    Rightyo then I'll remember to keep all Joe Gamble, Colin Healy and Gareth Farrelly convos in here too. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Except that this site already has forums specifically dedicated to their league and their team

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You are right Gavinzac, why has this lad got a dedicated thread on this forum? We might aswell include half the LOI players in the Ireland section if we are including a donkey from the MLS.

Just because that brilliant manager Staunton gave him a publicity cap in the states doesnt warrant him to be classed as an international, his talent clearly states he is not.
    'I can't even remember when the Seventies was.' - ROBBIE KEANE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    According to this: http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showt...=673558&page=3
    Lapira has signed for Nybergsund in Norwegian second division...
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars View Post
    According to this: http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showt...=673558&page=3
    Lapira has signed for Nybergsund in Norwegian second division...
    Wow ...I'd like to thank Lappy for showing me that there are indeed national football league teams out there in Europe that I have certifiably never, ever heard of. Thought I'd wandered across 'em all at some stage or other.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why would you sign for a Norwegian second division team if you could play at a better level with some of America's top clubs who were all "supposedly" after him?? This is turning into another embarressing episode for the FAI. Lets face it, it looks like they've capped a lad going on hype alone when it it turns out that he'd probably struggle to get a game with Monaghan (no offence intended).
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    It seems a bit of a bizarre move, but all I can think of is that he wants a European adventure, and with only American college experience, there probably aren't many top class teams willing to take a chance on him.

Also, from his perspective, he will be able to be transferred a lot easier to a big club if he is successful than he would be in MLS. They have a bad reputation for insisting on players fulfilling their contracts instead of selling them if there is European interest. This is because the league owns players rights, not individual teams.

Lapira may not want to play in MLS because of this possible restriction in movement. Perhaps he doesn't want to play in Canada (Toronto have the right to sign him because of the draft system).

He is highly regarded in the US, and almost any MLS team would take him in a heartbeat. He is not being rejected by the MLS, he is rejecting them for whatever reason.

All I can compare it to is something like if Jamie McCarthy tried to get an MLS contract.

He arrives in America, and says he played in the Scottish Second Division. "Hamilton who?" Nah, not interested, never heard of them.

The Scottish second division means about as much in America as American college soccer does here......

The point I'm trying to make here is that Lapira has shown himself to be a very good player at the college level, and is not someone we should be writing off just yet.

What's the harm in seeing how he does in Norway? I mean if you want to judge him on his little cameo appearance in the US with our B team go for it, but I'm not writing him off just yet.

More than likely he'll never play for us again, but if he had declared for America, I'd guarantee that their fans would be keeping a close eye on his development.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    It seems a bit of a bizarre move, but all I can think of is that he wants a European adventure, and with only American college experience, there probably aren't many top class teams willing to take a chance on him.

What's the harm in seeing how he does in Norway? I mean if you want to judge him on his little cameo appearance in the US with our B team go for it, but I'm not writing him off just yet.

More than likely he'll never play for us again, but if he had declared for America, I'd guarantee that their fans would be keeping a close eye on his development.
    Why didn't he try out in the eL ? Surely one of the clubs who wouldn't challenge for honours would have been a good proposition?
    Also this is a quote from one of the posters on the linked website
    "I just don't see the logic in this, other than a blind disdain for the American league.

Normally I'd blame the league, MLS does some screwy **** and the salary cap/base is absurdly low, but honestly, the only thing come to mind when reading about this move is "what is it about ND soccer players and these pathetic European moves?"

IMO these are the real world examples of Eurosnobs. Just this blind belief that everything across the pond must be better, I don't buy it, and if you think playing for a club in the Swedish second division, in front of 3000, is better than 20k in Toronto/MLS, I have a few emails about African bank transfers coming your way!

On coaching, you're going to be playing under a manager that has coached in a league you should be looking at breaking into. Surely Carver would be better for Lapira's long-term prospects.

I've never seen the Swedish Second Division, nor have I watched a USL match in about 2 years, but I don't need to see USL games to know MLS is better
    "

I couldn't help but think of the likes of Byrne or the nippers who go across to some non-descript teams when they obviously would have been better off staying here.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    Why would you sign for a Norwegian second division team if you could play at a better level with some of America's top clubs who were all "supposedly" after him?? This is turning into another embarressing episode for the FAI. Lets face it, it looks like they've capped a lad going on hype alone when it it turns out that he'd probably struggle to get a game with Monaghan (no offence intended).
    The FAI can hardly be blamed for the teams the manager / Stan picked. I mean we'd be the first to explode in outrage were Delaney picking the team !

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RivaldoBabb View Post
    if we are including a donkey from the MLS.
    Donkey or not ...Lapira has never played with a club in the MLS.

But I do understand the sentiment. There is another Irish/American kid who perhaps has superior merit for an roi eval than Lapira ever had. So, let's open a thread about Ciaran O'Brien, son of Fran O'Brien, who made his MLS debut with Colorado Rapids last weekend.

-- got a red card, and a fine ...mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akam...edcard_350.wmv
    & made it an even more miserable day for Becks.

..Only joking about opening a new thread about Fran's kid.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    He arrives in America, and says he played in the Scottish Second Division. "Hamilton who?" Nah, not interested, never heard of them.

The Scottish second division means about as much in America as American college soccer does here......
    aaah!... but this

Adam Moffat, from Glasgow, made his debut with MLS outfit, Columbus Crew last weekend. Scored (possibly gotw) and cleared a saved peno off the line.

Moffat went nowhere in Scotland at any level after youth footie (Kilmarnock youths, Elgin City)... but possibly has found a home in the MLS.

now back to Lapira...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I have a friend who uis an Aberdeen fan. he saw Joe play one game for the Aberdeen reserves. According to him lapira looked out of his depth even at that low level. Another great memory from the Stan era

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    He played his first game for them last weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    The FAI can hardly be blamed for the teams the manager / Stan picked. I mean we'd be the first to explode in outrage were Delaney picking the team !
    Fair point but in any organisation the buck stops with the boss (hierarchy). It's embarressing for the FAI as an organisation because of what Stan did.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lapira may not want to play in MLS because of this possible restriction in movement. Perhaps he doesn't want to play in Canada (Toronto have the right to sign him because of the draft system).

He is highly regarded in the US, and almost any MLS team would take him in a heartbeat. He is not being rejected by the MLS, he is rejecting them for whatever reason.

(according to wikipedia): Nybergsund is a village in the municipality of Trysil, Norway. Its population (2005) is 329.

Do you honestly think he has turned down Toronto in favour of a village team?

I've posted before that capping Lapira was a joke and having a thread about him in this forum is a farce. If discussion about Gamble, Healy, Farrelly, Byrne, Crowe (and all the up and coming local players is confined to the eL forum then discussion about Lapira should be confined to the forum on World Football (or the forum titled Rubbish).
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post
    Do you honestly think he has turned down Toronto in favour of a village team?
    I don't think it, I know it. I live in Canada and Lapira was talked about by Mo Johnston (manager) hopefully in the Canadian sports media.

It is a bizarre career choice, and nobody can really understand it, but it is a choice as screwed up as it seems.

This was written before he signed in Norway:

MO JOHNSTON is threatening to hijack Aberdeen's move for striker Joseph Lapira.

The former Celtic, Rangers and Scotland striker is holding out hope he can convince the NCAA attacker to sign for his Toronto FC outfit after picking him in the fourth round of the Major League Soccer SuperDraft.

Lapira, who has represented the Republic of Ireland due to parentage, is at Pittodrie on a trial.

Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood is running the rule over the international hitman with a view to making a move.

Johnston, however, remains hopeful of luring him back across the Atlantic.

He said: "I talked to Lapira on the day of the draft and I talked to his agent.

"We don't think it's a done deal that he'll stay in Europe. I'm excited about trying to lure Lapira here.

"We used a late-round draft pick but I think it is important we try to get a kid like Lapira to play."
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...6908-20298688/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've posted before that capping Lapira was a joke and having a thread about him in this forum is a farce. If discussion about Gamble, Healy, Farrelly, Byrne, Crowe (and all the up and coming local players is confined to the eL forum then discussion about Lapira should be confined to the forum on World Football (or the forum titled Rubbish).
    The fact that he took a bizarre route to an Irish cap means that people are going to be interested. Its a strange story but of all the things Stan did, this was one of the more harmless. He's an Irish international so I don't see the problem with having a thread on him (although admittedly one would do)

On another note, Ciaran Martyn said that when he was out on loan in Norway, the standard was a lot higher than the Eircom League. Admittefly that's probably not the case for the 2nd division but worth bearing in mind.

I agree it woulda been nice to see him sign for an Irish club.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    He scored a brace on his debut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    He scored a brace on his debut.
    It was his 2nd game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Lapira has left his club playing in the Second Division in Norway. Rumor has it he's on trial with Barcelona and Chelsea are also in the hunt for his signature. I don't actually have any clue where he's gone, maybe he rose back to his true home yesterday
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast