Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Doyle

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post

maybe they didnt take to a foreign culture where they are looked down on for being irish? where the only way of fitting in is to become more like the english and look down on anything irish?
    sound familiar?
    You're living in the past mate. I've not seen such an impressive chip since Brady.

Anyway the English are more like foreigners at clubs like Arsenal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    "mate"? point proven

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I think you have to acccep the Premiere League acts as a magnet to the best players in the world,
    and of course it is an easy move for many Irish to make.
    No language or cultural barrier to overcome, and not far to go either.

Few players capable of playing at international level would fail to move.
    From a finiancal point of view it is a no brainer. Must be a 10 fold increase in salary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    "mate"? point proven
    Is it F8ck, you're blinded by the closeness of an affinity to a sub standard league. A leage that is managed poorly, has numerous internal disputes, and fails to produce players adequate for the national team. You can harp on and on about how more EL players should be included in the national side but your argument is with a base. Fundamentally, a player should be included in his countries national side because of his ability. Normally there are reasons for a player playing in a average/poor league, and usually this is due to his ability. The best EL players, or the bast majority of them migrate to England, yet most of these better players in the EL league are unable to do a job in the lower reaches of the English leagues. As a result you're belief, I feel, is wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

maybe they didnt take to a foreign culture where they are looked down on for being irish? where the only way of fitting in is to become more like the english and look down on anything irish?
    sound familiar?
    Thats pure balls sunny jim(that irish enough for ya).

As for Doyle he is probably right, he should try and test himself and the highest level possible, if he doesnt make it he can always move back down the league. I dont think he is good enough for a top 4 club but he could do something for a team with higher ambitions than Reading like Villa or Man City.

John O'Shea on the other hand i think knows that he is not good enough to be a stand out player at a smaller club in the premiership which he would be expected to be if he moved. He is good enough to be able to cover a position for Man U though. He doesnt stand out for Ireland. He plays a good few games picks up winners medals and a hefty pay packet. Who could blame him for staying at Man Utd.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    the 10% sell on clause will do us nicely thanks very much
    It would help city alright if he went for 4million or so that be nice little earner coming to leeside

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    Is it F8ck, you're blinded by the closeness of an affinity to a sub standard league. A leage that is managed poorly, has numerous internal disputes, and fails to produce players adequate for the national team. You can harp on and on about how more EL players should be included in the national side but your argument is with a base. Fundamentally, a player should be included in his countries national side because of his ability. Normally there are reasons for a player playing in a average/poor league, and usually this is due to his ability. The best EL players, or the bast majority of them migrate to England, yet most of these better players in the EL league are unable to do a job in the lower reaches of the English leagues. As a result you're belief, I feel, is wrong.
    what is my belief? I dont recall saying there should be more el players playing for ireland so your rant is misdirected. learn how to differentiate between different posters.
    i do recall saying that there are cultural differances between the two countries which effects some players going over. for all those that disagree just go take out british citizenship and be done with it......mates.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    what is my belief? I dont recall saying there should be more el players playing for ireland so your rant is misdirected. learn how to differentiate between different posters.
    i do recall saying that there are cultural differances between the two countries which effects some players going over. for all those that disagree just go take out british citizenship and be done with it......mates.
    You still think the English look down on the Irish. I don't think you have a clue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    coming from you I will take that as a compliment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    The English are on the whole, some of the most hospitable people I've met. The Irish on the other hand, quite a lot of them, are some of the most racist people I have ever met!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    The English are on the whole, some of the most hospitable people I've met. The Irish on the other hand, quite a lot of them, are some of the most racist people I have ever met!
    way to prove my point...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    way to prove my point...
    How exactly does that prove your point? I feel you have lived a very sheltered life. Any self respecting Irish person would be the first to be open and admit there is a problem with racism in the country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Any self respecting Irish person would be the first to be open and admit there is a problem with racism in the country.
    Having lived in Britain, the US and mainland Europe, and being self-respecting, I can state hand on heart that the racism in this country is no worse than what I saw in the others.

The only difference is the imigration into Ireland has all really come in the space of 10 years or so while the others have had to deal with it for generations. Added to this the world is far more PC nowadays so incidents of racism are highlighted much more.

Ireland has not, and never will have 'institutional racism' which most other countries with massive immigration have and imho that is a far bigger problem.
    Most immigrants are entitled to housing, employment and a better way of life than where they have come from. The racism they are subjected to is usually from the older generations or pond life who are unable to improve their own standing in society and feel they are boosting theirs by reducing the standing of others - ALL COUNTRIES HAVE THESE PEOPLE AND WE ARE NO WORSE THAN OTHERS IN OUR PERCENTAGE OF THESE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Can we get back on topic , Doyle hasnt been mentioned in some time and the topics currently being discussed have been done to death on here before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    Can we get back on topic , Doyle hasnt been mentioned in some time and the topics currently being discussed have been done to death on here before.
    ok.

he should stay unless he is going to one of the top 4 which i don't think he is good enough for at this moment in time. i believe he is a bit over rated on here tbh. in the words of dunphy - 'he is a good player not a great player.'

it would be too much of a gamble for him to move to a team like everton/man city/villa who are the next level up from his current team. he could move, to one of these slightly better teams, and not be first choice. a massive gamble with not enough of a potential gain imho.

as 2 posters said earlier it is worth remembering the following:
    duff having his best period ever while at blackburn.... and
    at this stage of his career the most important thing is playing week in week out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    How exactly does that prove your point? I feel you have lived a very sheltered life. Any self respecting Irish person would be the first to be open and admit there is a problem with racism in the country.
    Actually, I have a problem with this. "Racism" is applied far too broadly to often mean anyone who has a problem with mass immigration or feels certain cultures need to recognize that they can't act a certain way in their host country. Put another way, it's an easy way to tar someone and escape an argument on the merits. I've seen more very real and very deadly racism in Africa (central Africa) then I ever have in any European country.

Now to the issue at hand, the fact is that the market dictates (for the most part) the quality of a player. A good EL player will ALWAYS go abroad to increase his earning potential. That doesn't make him a traitor or any less of an Irishman. It just makes him a good judge of his relative economic worth. That should be applauded, not damned.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Is the title of this a bit misleading? Doyle isnt looking to leave Reading, he merely states that if a big club came in he'd be ambitious enough to take the oppertunity. He isnt wanting a transfer or actively looking to move. He has hit a bit of a stale patch recently with Reading, but the team has a whole also has, they are extremely limited especially in defence and hopefully Coppell will pick up one or 2 centre halves in the transfer window.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    He isnt wanting a transfer or actively looking to move. He has hit a bit of a stale patch recently with Reading, but the team has a whole also has, they are extremely limited especially in defence and hopefully Coppell will pick up one or 2 centre halves in the transfer window.
    It looks like Bennett is finally going to get his chance after Southampton look to be failing in a bid to renew his loan deal.

Let's hope he makes the breakthrough, we can always use more competition at centre-half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's just what it boils down to...chances. Doyle came over to England, got given a chance, took it, and was given many other chances which have helped him become an excellent player, not to say that he wasn't already excellent at Cork. In contrast we have Jason Byrne, who was given a chance, took it, then wasn't really given any other chances.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kevin Doyle

Just heard from his Aunt that Chelsea have bid 8mill and Villa 7mill for him !! He wants to make the next step up. Also Hunt will def not move and is holding out for an improved contract from Reading

Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast