Page 21 of 66 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Doyle

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    A top 6 team is not going to pick a player on that form, heresy and all saying that might be to some on here.
    Actually just to get back to this point Everton, Villa and Fulham (I know 7th, but not far off) were looking at him so that negates your point.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Actually just to get back to this point Everton, Villa and Fulham (I know 7th, but not far off) were looking at him so that negates your point.
    Did any of them actually make a bid and if they didn't, why didn't they? As for Casc and Quinn, they scored many a vital goal for Ireland and if they didn't, they wouldn't have been in the team. We certainly weren't relying on Alridge to be the only one to score goals. Quinn and Casc were there for their physicality and to score goals as a result of that attribute from corners and free kicks etc so it doesn't negate my point.

Doyle can score goals. His first season in the Premiership showed that. I stand by my comment that his subsequent failing in that department (for whatever reason) lessened his chances of going to a top team but hopefully he'll score plenty for Wolves (and us).
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    A nice mention for Kevin Doyle in today's Premier League Preview in the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...irmingham-city
    At [£7.7 million], Benítez represents quite a gamble. He will miss the first few weeks of the season with a shoulder injury, but thereafter Birmingham will look to the 23-year-old to have the same kind of impact in English football that Amr Zaki had at Wigan before the Egyptian's ego got the better of him. It is, however, tempting to wonder whether Wolverhampton Wanderers made better use of their money when they spent the same sum on Kevin Doyle, a proven goalscorer in English football.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post
    A nice mention for Kevin Doyle in today's Premier League Preview in the Guardian.
    Yes, nice. I think Doyle is one that most if not all commentators see the value in.

ps. I'd suggest Birmingham will be relegated having brought in Lee Bowyer. He's a curse to all teams he ends up at. Throw the other tramp, Barry Ferguson in to the mix and you'd wonder what McLeish is thinking...I could understand if it was Roy Keane!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Looks like Doyle is ready to lead Ireland to the promised land after a positive performance today according to Soccernet.Com.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Paul Merson was covering the game on Soccer Saturday and he commented that he "never realised Doyle was that good". Definitely positive signs, McCarthy said after that he's still only at about 80% fitness.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Paul Merson was covering the game on Soccer Saturday and he commented that he "never realised Doyle was that good". Definitely positive signs, McCarthy said after that he's still only at about 80% fitness.
    Trevor Francis said last weekend when covering the Wolves v Chelsea game that Doyle gets into some excellent positions to score goals. And he should know. Of course best of all I would like to see Doyle sticking a few in the net but I'm sure they will come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Cascarino was on the radio yesterday saying Doyle was poor lately and saying he is not sure he is a premiership striker, said he was writing a piece in the paper today on him also

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by an_ceannaire View Post
    Cascarino was on the radio yesterday saying Doyle was poor lately and saying he is not sure he is a premiership striker, said he was writing a piece in the paper today on him also
    He is obviously clueless. Doyle is quality in so many ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    i am not saying i agree but i am not convinced Doyle is a premiership striker either (or an arsenal class striker as some delusional heads in here would think!!)
    Doyle has never done it in the premiership except for a six month spurt a few years back but that totally dried up and has not scored for Ireland in 12 months.....
    I think we might be looking at this thru green glasses lads! Fine footballer no dount, 12+ premiership striker....dont think so

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    I doubt Trevor Francis or Paul Merson are looking through green tinted glasses in fairness. Doyle had a great first season in the Premiership, in his second season he played primarily out on the right wing and had injury problems but still scored 8 goals, last season he had a good first half before an injury blighted second half of the season. His biggest fault in the last couple of years has probably been rushing back from injury and playing at about 50% of his ability.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I doubt Trevor Francis or Paul Merson are looking through green tinted glasses in fairness. Doyle had a great first season in the Premiership, in his second season he played primarily out on the right wing and had injury problems but still scored 8 goals, last season he had a good first half before an injury blighted second half of the season. His biggest fault in the last couple of years has probably been rushing back from injury and playing at about 50% of his ability.
    Agree that. It is easy to see that Doyle IS the real deal and wil get better and better if he can get a run of appearances.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    why does anybody listen to the absolute drivel that tony cascarino spouts, doyles last goal for ireland was against georgia and he has played 6 or 7 matches for ireland since then without scoring and in those matches bar the austrialia game where he was totally unfit and italy where he poor.

in all the other games he was a canadate for the Man of the match award he is a consistant performer plus i doubt he would have got the irish player of the year award if he was not up to it and for cascarino to suggest Trap should look for a new strike partner for keane is shocking.

Big Cas is a muppet no ex team mates or managers hold him in high regard, and i cant wait to see doyle turn in big performances for club and country and bag his fair share of goals and await Cas's follow up article
    Last edited by wexfordman; 31/08/2009 at 11:19 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    (or an arsenal class striker as some delusional heads in here would think!!)
    I'll assume that's directed at me.

I never once said "Doyle is so good he should play for Arsenal". I merely pointed out that Arsenal's team / squad contains several players that are not "Arsenal class". One of these would be Bendtner. In my opinion Doyle does what Wenger wants Bendtner to do better than Bendtner does. He's got a better attitude too and doesn't go into his shell on hard trips up north like Bendtner does all the time.

I don't think that's "delusional".

Armed with a 6 or 7 million quid I'm sure Wenger would do better than Doyle too. His scouting radar has far wider reach than mine.

As an Irish fan I've been really impressed with Doyle's contribution in most matches in this campaign, and previously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Honests Opinions lads, is Doyler as good as any of the following
    Defoe, Yakubu, Agbonlahor, Saha, K. Jones, Ashton, A. Johnson, Bendtner ?
    I dont think so. I would think Doyle is about the level of Darren Bent, Emile Heskey or Kevin Davies. And if you went to the premiership fans or managers no matter what nationality, and offered them any of the above mentioned, I dont think Kev would be the top name on any of the lists. Do you?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Managers would opt for Bent, Yakubu or a fit Saha every time.

Ashton, Jones, Heskey and Davies are different animals altogether so you're not comparing apples with apples there's.

He's better than Andy Johnson full stop.

If Agbonlahour or Bendtnar leave their clubs I garauntee the status of the club the move to wouldn't be far off Wolves circa 2010 (Wolves are going to stay up). They certainly won't be bought by anyone above mid table standard.

And Defoe whilst a quality finnisher, is a luxury only the top clubs can afford so I'd say manager for manager most would pic Doyle (under duress admittedly)...
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Honests Opinions lads, is Doyler as good as any of the following
    Defoe, Yakubu, Agbonlahor, Saha, K. Jones, Ashton, A. Johnson, Bendtner ?
    I dont think so. I would think Doyle is about the level of Darren Bent, Emile Heskey or Kevin Davies. And if you went to the premiership fans or managers no matter what nationality, and offered them any of the above mentioned, I dont think Kev would be the top name on any of the lists. Do you?
    Andy Johnson..... ..HILARIOUS.The inclusion of him shows that you may be suffering from the same dillusion as English commentators and also suffering from an Irish inferiority complex! More likely that than a case of Irish fans building up their players.

The same disrespect and disregard for our rugby players was prevalent in England and the same inferiority complex in Ireland...but look how that panned out!!

Most posters on here are basing their opinions on what they see. Try and do the same and not be accusing posters of wearing green tinted glasses because they rate Irish players.

ps. Ask Spurs fans (yes ENGLISH Spurs fans how they rate Robbie Keane and/or Man City ENGLISH fans how they rate Dunner!) Are they deluded also???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Scram is that the same City fans who were on SSN and Your on Sky Sports all last week saying they badly needed a partner for Toure cos Dunne wasnt good enough anymore and the same Spurs fans who if you go to ANY spurs website want Robbie dropped and Crouch Defoe to be the Spurs front two?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Scram is that the same City fans who were on SSN and Your on Sky Sports all last week saying they badly needed a partner for Toure cos Dunne wasnt good enough anymore and the same Spurs fans who if you go to ANY spurs website want Robbie dropped and Crouch Defoe to be the Spurs front two?
    In fairness I said on the Dunne thread that Sky tend to interview the lowest common denominator mentally subnormal football fans for their vox pops. Makes their audience feel at home. Same reason Jamie 'Well, he's hit the ball and it's gone into the net' Redknapp has a pundit's job there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    69-er your porb right. Bit like the Ibiza uncovered programmes......been there and 90% of the English lads over there were nothing like that and neither were the women (for shame!)
    But Dunnes welcome has been cut short by the majority of City fans 69-er, alls I am saying is why are we so cut up about it and taking it as a personal affront to our country!!! I couldnt care less what team he plays for so long as he is doing the business for Ireland, and we have not had a centre half of his calibre in green since the Charlton days.. So the English dont rate him...so what.....he aint as good a club player as he is an international.

Page 21 of 66 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast