Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Group C Euro 2012 General Discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Sorry lads, but I think it has all just finally hit home tonight after the draw! YEEEOOOO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo
    If you collapse against the Spanish you'll get punished, if the players heads go down after being say 1 or 2 down after 30 mins then there could be big problems, but I'm not convinced we'll afford them that many chances. The Spanish are very good at home but away from home they're not the invincible machine the likes of Sid Löwe and Phil Ball paint them to be, I'm sure people know about their friendly results, even if you assume friendlies dont count their qualification was not as emphatic as say the Germans. They've had to rely on late goals to beat the Scots and Lithuanians. With 10 mins to go at Hampden the Scots were holding Spain to a 2-2, with 20 mins to go the Lithuanians were 1-1 with Spain in Kaunas, until an astounding own goal from Kijanskas gifted them the initiative. We are significantly better than the Scots and the Lithuanians - the latter took only TWO points from four games vs Scotland and Litchenstein. We conceeded 7 in 10 games versus their 6 in 8, and we probably had a stronger group (with Russia and Slovakia being stronger as a pair than Czechs and Scotland, and Armenia being harder than Lithuania). I'd rather have the Spanish in as 1st seeds than the Dutch, and not having the Germans who in my opinion are significantly stronger than the Spanish, is a big blessing.
    Look lads, I know we like to put spin on things, but lets be realistic for a minute here.

Spain are European and World Champions. A Spanish side is currently European club Champions. They sweep the boards at club and international level, nobody wants to face them, and even with 3 good teams in this group, they will walk this, probably by winning all 3 games, unless they have a France '02 meltdown, which I think is highly unlikely.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    I am generally known to be a pessimistic, cynical **** but you lot make me look like an eternal optimist. The fact that some are throwing in the towel (at least for the Spain match) six months before the tournament disgusts me. Spain are not invincible, they are not unbeatable, they are a good team but every dog has its day. My brother always used to tell me, "its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog." If we really want it more and the players are willing to lay it all on the line, we can get a result against them (as we saw in Russia where we were played off the pitch), and I'm not only talking about a draw. Will they? I don't know. At the end of the days its just 11 men chasing around a bag of air against another 11 men chasing that same bag of air.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 03/12/2011 at 6:06 AM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Italy are beatable, Croatia are beatable, Spain are not unbeatable. Bilic is in dispute with the HNS over his contract and salary (despite getting a 5-10% cut of each player capped under his tenure transfer fee out of Croatia) and the Croats are expecting the team to come 2nd in the group. Italy are a shadow of their former selves and Ireland can do a number on them, plus the manager wants to prove something against his own country. Spain are a very good side but will have to work very hard to break Ireland down. Great draw and means a real boost for the country.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Love the optimism but no matter how the other 3 teams are, we're not very good, sadly!

Especially when it comes to, er, beating teams.
    Which is rather essential at this level.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    100/1 with ladbroke's at the moment.
    Fiver each way for a bit of fun i think..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    With the draw over, England will probably come to Dublin early in 2012? Portugal and Czech Republic could be ideal friendly games in preparation to play Croatia and Spain?

In groups where best third placed teams qualified from groups, three draws would do like '90. Three draws will be well earned in a group like we have for next June but not enough.

We're going to be totally written off against the Spanish but it doesn't mean the game will go according to script. The French were expected to wrap up the play-off after winning in Croke Park but need a thiefs helping had to steal the win. Ireland had to win that game in the 90 minutes to take it to at least extra-time as they did.

Looking at the games and results needed, it would seem we can't afford to lose to the Croat's. Even if we did lose, while it would be hugely difficult from there, shocks happen. The Spanish could come into the game off a win over the Italian expecting to wrap up the group with an easy win. Irish teams have fight and could produce the result to shake up the tournament.

I've wanted us to qualify to play top teams. We've got that. Let's enjoy it!
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    We haven't even played a game yet and people are giving up. It's tough but not impossible. I'd rather play Spain than Holland and Germany. If you watched England-Spain you'll see why nicking a point or even fluking a win it's beyond the realms of possibility for a team that plays like we do under the Trap. This Spanish can be beaten in competitive football as well...... the Swiss frustrated the life out of em back in 2010. Let's go there, rise to the occasion and surprise a few people.

Greece 2004 should be our blueprint for success.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    We won't disgrace ourselves but I'd be very surprised if we progressed from the group. Realistically can anyone see Spain falling at the first hurdle? That would be a massive shock. So this effectively means ourselves Croatia and Italy are fighting for one of the qualification spots and both teams I think would fancy their chances against us. A couple of draws then a trip home, or a draw and a win but pipped to the post at the last minute by one of the other teams. These are the most likely outcomes. But we are there and at least in with a shout and that's what matters.

Now if we could just find a decent central midfielder and find a spot for Coleman in the team somewhere (though possibly further up the pitch as his defensive skills are very suspect) I'd be more optimistic. Hopefully Meyler, McCarthy or McCann have a Roy Keane esque next 5 months of club football with McCann getting a move to a Premiership club in January (Bolton possibly?). Unlikely but we can always hope.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    i don't think anyone is giving up - it's a tough group though. at least we're not denmark.

trap will have a plan for each of these games. maybe the same plan. my major concern is that he'll play for the draw v croatia, which is the most winnable of the three games.

if he does get us out of this group, it will be an amazing achievement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    It's going to be difficult but not impossible. As long as we still have something realistic to play for in the last of the three game I will be happy.
    For us to finally make a finals again and only two of the games really meaning anything would be disappointing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    It's tough but it's the nature of finals that a team's tournament can be virtually over after the first game and definitely after the second. It's tough, won't happen in '16 when there'll be the outside chance of being a best third placed team.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Theres nothing in Group D that particularly scares me for the quarters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Do Spain have anyone who'll be able to deal with Jon Walters?
    Getting there was the big thing and now I think our lads will be licking their lips at the prospect of facing the likes of Spain and Italy at a major tournament. Can you imagine what it must be like for Cox or Andrews? I think we'll play with a freedom and that'll suit us much better. If a top midfielder could come through that'd be great too but I don't think we'll be embarrassed with Given, Dunne, Keane and Duff. So excited now, the whole thing is just brilliant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    To be honest bar getting Poland as a top seed it really couldn't have been better.

It was always a toss-up between England/Italy and Croatia/Greece. We've done good.

The only team to really fear and be petrified of in the whole tournament is Germany. Like proper "serial killer" afraid.

Spain or the Dutch could turn up on the day and wipe the floor with us. Us or Croatia to qualify with Spain out of that group. You heard it here first.
    My thoughts exactly.

It's a mean competition, we're there, unfancied and fighting for survival from the get-go. I can't wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Look lads, I know we like to put spin on things, but lets be realistic for a minute here.

Spain are European and World Champions. A Spanish side is currently European club Champions. They sweep the boards at club and international level, nobody wants to face them, and even with 3 good teams in this group, they will walk this, probably by winning all 3 games, unless they have a France '02 meltdown, which I think is highly unlikely.
    IF Spain walk this group with three wins (9 points), and frankly I don't think they will, it creates the possibility that we could finish in second without even winning a match and with a mere 2 points.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    I think we'll play with a freedom and that'll suit us much better.
    What makes you think this? I can't see us doing anything differently than what got us to the Euros in the first place.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Its the first time since we've qualified that Ive properly got excited about the Euros, it really hit home during the draw and Im buzzing since. For anyone thats writing us off I would say that everytime we've qualified before was the same. No one gave us a hope against England in 88, same against Italy in 94 and after Roy Keane left the squad in 02 we didnt have a hope either. On all of those occasions we've risen above ourselves and put on a great show. So bring on the world champions!

We actually have a great chance of picking up a win against Italy, we definately wont fear them anyway. Modric could really hurt us for Croatia but we definitely have a chance against them and then anything against Spain is a bonus.

Im glad we didnt get England, not because I would fear them but because the whole build up would be about that game and focus mightnt be right for the other 2, we'll worry about them in the quarter finals
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Im glad we didnt get England, not because I would fear them but because the whole build up would be about that game and focus mightnt be right for the other 2, we'll worry about them in the quarter finals
    It's definitely not a certainty that they will get there
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French Toasht View Post
    Theres nothing in Group D that particularly scares me for the quarters.
    Everyone's saying them across the water have an easy draw but will they get out of the group. France outplayed them in what admittedly was only a friendly last year, Sweden despite an own goal defeat in a recent friendly have a great record against them across the water in competitive games and their last game is against the co-hosts. I think Ukraine will do enough to take a top 2 spot. If them across the water have a win in their first two games, they'll be on the plane home.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast