Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joseph Lapira

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Joseph Lapira

From today's Daily Mail. How bad must this guy be?

IRELAND striker Joe Lapira has failed in his bid to win a contract with SPL side Aberdeen.
    The 21-year-old, who was capped against Ecuador last May, arrived in Scotland last week but had to wait until Wednesday to make his debut for the reserves after receiving international clearance.
    The Louisiana-born striker, whose mother is from Dublin, lined-up from the start and was replaced after 77 minutes of a clash against Falkirk and yesterday manager Jimmy Calderwood decided against making an offer for the player.
    ‘Joseph is a lovely guy and got on very well here, but unfortunately we won’t be pursuing our interest in him,’ an Aberdeen spokesman said last night. ‘Playing a game over here in January in really windy conditions didn’t really suit him and we are very disappointed to say that he will be moving on.
    ‘We would like to wish Joe all the best with his career.’
    Lapira’s trial at Pittodrie was arranged by former Dons player Bobby Clarke, who coached him at college level for Notre Dame.
    It remains to be seen what striker’s next move will be. Lapira was selected in the 3rd Round of the 2008 MLS SuperDraft by Toronto FC – managed by former Celtic man Mo Johnston – while he was watched this week by a number of Scottish First Division clubs.
    ‘I talked to [Lapira] on the day of the draft, and I talked to his agent,’ Johnston said. ‘We don’t think it’s a done deal that he’ll stay in Europe.
    ‘I’m excited about trying to lure Lapira here. We used a late-round draft pick, but I think it is important that we try to get a kid like Lapira to play.’
    Lapira had a trial with Rangers last summer, but that was cut short due to a calf injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would there be any EL teams interested in him? Surely its a better option than a 1st division scottish side

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Sure he's wanted in the US league, which would be a higher level than both. He'll surely go to toronto.
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend
    -
    Trappattoni+Tardelli+Brady=Holy Trinity of Irish Football

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If he can't pick up in the SPL or the Championship, he should go to MLS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    If they're only going to give him one reserve match to prove himself I wouldn't read too much into it.

Since I follow Toronto FC here I wouldn't mind him going back there, we could really use a striker.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Aberdeen are not known for sound judgement - also I'd not be overly concerned about an ability to perform on a windy Jan in Scotland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    gutted
    We control by attitudes positive mental attitudes not by rules.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    'take him up To-ronto, ronto, ronto" Funny how Steve Staunton thought he was good enough to play for Ireland, yet Aberdeen turned him down. Speak volumes for the calibre of management we have just endured for the last 2 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billybunter View Post
    'take him up To-ronto, ronto, ronto" Funny how Steve Staunton thought he was good enough to play for Ireland, yet Aberdeen turned him down. Speak volumes for the calibre of management we have just endured for the last 2 years.

Let it be first said that Aberdeen are not the ultimate judge of character, especially not on a 70 minute performance during a Scottish winter.

Staunton (or his advisors) cleverly played the media card and introduced an American born "Irish eligible" while on a tour of The USA, forever tying him to the Irish cause, and gaining valuable column inches in the US "soccer" press in the process.

Whether Lapira eventually turns out to be as good as his people claimed him to be at the time is debatable; what is without doubt is that Staunton's flag-waving, which gained attention to both Him and us as both a manager and a nation who would reward generational eligibility on a continent rich in 2g's was confirmed.

He, sadly, did many foolish things as manager of the Irish team, but the introduction of Lapira was certainly by far not the most foolish thing he has done.
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

dean saunders

I'm no fan of Staunton the manager, but capping Lapira was a smart move. It was a meaningless tour, Kilbane was the only senior player there and we stood to gain or lose nothing by giving a one off cap to a guy who looked at the time like he might be capped by the US national team. He'll likely return to the MLS now and we'll all have forgotten his name this time next year but what did we lose by capping him? Nothing! He could have gone on to become a regular for Rangers or Celtic who were both chasing him at the time. There are lots of things you can blame Staunton for, bringing Jonathan Douglas on away in Slovakia stands out for me, but you can't blame him for how the Lapira fiasco turned out.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondvillain View Post
    Let it be first said that Aberdeen are not the ultimate judge of character, especially not on a 70 minute performance during a Scottish winter.

Staunton (or his advisors) cleverly played the media card and introduced an American born "Irish eligible" while on a tour of The USA, forever tying him to the Irish cause, and gaining valuable column inches in the US "soccer" press in the process.

Whether Lapira eventually turns out to be as good as his people claimed him to be at the time is debatable; what is without doubt is that Staunton's flag-waving, which gained attention to both Him and us as both a manager and a nation who would reward generational eligibility on a continent rich in 2g's was confirmed.

He, sadly, did many foolish things as manager of the Irish team, but the introduction of Lapira was certainly by far not the most foolish thing he has done.

understand your point, but i disagree. If Irish caps are bandied around as some sort of raffle prize, or media stunt, then it makes stan look like more of a gob**ite than he comes across in interviews. That entire stunt (in fact that entire tour) were a complete pi$$ take.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,703 Posts
    What age is Lapira?

Given he's in this part of the world it may have been no harm including him in the U21 squad just to keep tabs on him, assuming he's eligible. Match fitness in the US off-season may have been an issue but I bet the thought didn't even cross their minds. It may even have been of use to put him on eLOI clubs' radar.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    What age is Lapira?

Given he's in this part of the world it may have been no harm including him in the U21 squad just to keep tabs on him, assuming he's eligible. Match fitness in the US off-season may have been an issue but I bet the thought didn't even cross their minds. It may even have been of use to put him on eLOI clubs' radar.
    Including Alan O'Brien and a few others on that tour was far more offensive. Agree with Stutts about the U21's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    The most offensive thing on that tour was the amount of players who cried off it for various reasons that appeared right after they were called into the squad for the tour.
    Compare and contrast with the players who were called up, and took the opportunity with both hands - O'Halloran, Long and Potter all emerged with reputations enhanced
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I'm no fan of Staunton the manager, but capping Lapira was a smart move. It was a meaningless tour, Kilbane was the only senior player there and we stood to gain or lose nothing by giving a one off cap to a guy who looked at the time like he might be capped by the US national team. He'll likely return to the MLS now and we'll all have forgotten his name this time next year but what did we lose by capping him? Nothing! He could have gone on to become a regular for Rangers or Celtic who were both chasing him at the time. There are lots of things you can blame Staunton for, bringing Jonathan Douglas on away in Slovakia stands out for me, but you can't blame him for how the Lapira fiasco turned out.
    I agree completely...but only because it was almost a 'b' international. I don't see anyone complaining about Darren Potter captaining the side for that tour...and what about Joe O'Ceariull...its not as if he's ever going to play for the senior team either! A Barnet and League 2 reject.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why were these column inches "valuable"? It's not an eircom league outfit begging for media exposure, it's the Irish national team who probably get more media exposure than they need.

And what are you talking about in that final paragraph? 2g's?
    We lead, they follow!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Right.

Wait, why is that clever? What was the benefit?
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postman View Post
    Why were these column inches "valuable"? It's not an eircom league outfit begging for media exposure, it's the Irish national team who probably get more media exposure than they need.

And what are you talking about in that final paragraph? 2g's?

Hello. Nice to meet you too. What a nice friendly tone you have. I'll only be delighted to answer your questions as they've been posed in such a warm manner.

1. These column inches were "Valuable" on two fronts. Firstly: The Lapira coverage was valuable to the FAI, as otherwise they may have found it difficult to generate interest in the USA for a team sadly bereft of players who would be considered Household names in Ireland, never mind America, and secondly: any coverage of football in the states that doesn't include the word "Beckham" in the text is a worthwhile tool in increasing the game's profile there.

The reason that raising the game's profile could be considered beneficial leads me nicely onto your second demand.

2. 2g's is shorthand for second generation. (In this case, I was referring to second generation Irish domiciled in the United States) I figured the reference to "rewarding generational eligibility" may have given folk who may not have initially known it's meaning some clue , but I was obviously wrong.

As you may be aware, there are a considerable amount of Irish in America.
    Some of these play football. (the proper "no hands" type)
    Some of these may be eligible for Ireland.
    Some of these may actually be "good at football".
    We are not so rich in resources that we can afford to discount any decent player who considers himself Irish and is willing to commit to the cause, so it's best we get their attention early. The best way to get American kids attention is to get on TV and in magazines. Job done with selecting Lapira.

Did he set the world on fire? He did not.
    Did he raise awareness of Ireland as a Small nation who may consider second generation Irish Americans for selection in World Football? Possibly. We'll find out in a few years.

Anyway, feel free to bring your sunny disposition around for a cup of tea and a chat anytime.
    Last edited by Bondvillain; 05/02/2008 at 11:41 AM.
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The most offensive thing on that tour was the amount of players who cried off it for various reasons that appeared right after they were called into the squad for the tour.
    Compare and contrast with the players who were called up, and took the opportunity with both hands - O'Halloran, Long and Potter all emerged with reputations enhanced
    agreee tets, could only make the Bolivia game, but thought O halloran and long were excellent. Looking forward to seeing O halloran this afternoon against england.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hello. Nice to meet you too. What a nice friendly tone you have. I'll only be delighted to answer your questions as they've been posed in such a warm manner.

1. These column inches were "Valuable" on two fronts. Firstly: The Lapira coverage was valuable to the FAI, as otherwise they may have found it difficult to generate interest in the USA for a team sadly bereft of players who would be considered Household names in Ireland, never mind America, and secondly: any coverage of football in the states that doesn't include the word "Beckham" in the text is a worthwhile tool in increasing the game's profile there.

The reason that raising the game's profile could be considered beneficial leads me nicely onto your second demand.

2. 2g's is shorthand for second generation. (In this case, I was referring to second generation Irish domiciled in the United States) I figured the reference to "rewarding generational eligibility" may have given folk who may not have initially known it's meaning some clue , but I was obviously wrong.

As you may be aware, there are a considerable amount of Irish in America.
    Some of these play football. (the proper "no hands" type)
    Some of these may be eligible for Ireland.
    Some of these may actually be "good at football".
    We are not so rich in resources that we can afford to discount any decent player who considers himself Irish and is willing to commit to the cause, so it's best we get their attention early. The best way to get American kids attention is to get on TV and in magazines. Job done with selecting Lapira.

Did he set the world on fire? He did not.
    Did he raise awareness of Ireland as a Small nation who may consider second generation Irish Americans for selection in World Football? Possibly. We'll find out in a few years.

Anyway, feel free to bring your sunny disposition around for a cup of tea and a chat anytime.
    Apologies if my disposition isn't soo sunny. I've just never been a fan of putting a gloss on something that doesn't deserve it.

The only way your point of view makes sense is if you're an ex-pat or a "2g" yourself, in which case it's admirable but nevertheless wrong. Promoting "soccer" in the US was not part of Staunton's remit. He left players at home who deserved to play far more than Lapira. Furthermore, the popularity or general interest that the tour generated shouldn't have been of any interest to Staunton. He wasn't on the Marketing commitee, he was the Irish manager.

Sending out some form of message to "2gs" wasn't in his remit either. I honestly can't think of any reason why we need to promote ourselves to 2g's in the US. Historically we haven't had one US born player line out for Ireland. Are you suggesting that this should be our new focus? I disagree. I'd go LOI before I'd even begin to scour America. I'd laugh if Lapira ended up in the LOI, a year after making his international debut. It wouldn't be a bad move IMO. It may actually be his best hope of getting a pro contract in the UK but ironically it would probably be curtains for his international career.
    We lead, they follow!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast