147 26.68%
Page 180 of 212 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182190 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,600 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I think he's trying to say he's an angel with divine qualities: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17791952

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    should never be allowed near the squad again - he's not patch on what he was 3 seasons ago , however the villa connection could see him back in the fold come september

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Doing his best to come across as a semi-normal human being. If he keeps this up and the likes of Shay, Dunners and Keano open a door for him he could well be back in September. Even if he isn't the same player he was 3 years ago, he has to be a better option than Paul Green.

Although I actually think his game now will suit trap's system better than it did 3 years ago
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Trap always said that he would change the system to accomodate Ireland's qualities. ie. more attacking style. Mind you that was three years ago when he was one of the best players in the Premiership.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I'd sooner have Jon Douglas back in Green....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Just watched it there... There's some level of contrition and ownership of his situation at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Goal line clearance there to deny Bendtner. Could yet be vital for Villa's season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Is there anyone here who'd welcome him back into the fold? A new poll would be interesting.

I wouldn't go as far as welcoming him back with open arms or anything, but if Trap decided he had a role to play for us, I'd accept that as Trap's decision. His lies and later comments about Cork, Trapattoni and whatnot have been immature in the extreme, but people can change. I wouldn't condemn him for life if he was prepared to acknowledge his mistakes and put them behind him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Christ if there were quotes from me in my late teens and early twenties people would think I was some kind of Communist! Give him a break lads. He's an adult now and everyone deserves another chance, it isn't like he killed someone. He was right about his comments regarding empty buildings in Cork, have any of ye ever been there? Disgraceful what was allowed to happen all over Ireland during the boom. Futhermore, I can't fault him on the granny thing, a girlfriend having a miscarriage is none of our business and he's under no obligation to tell us anything regarding his personal life. The guy's a great player and I'd love to see what he could do in our team come September.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Can't wait to see him in the green again, smashing player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Manblue, hasn't it been determined that you are, in fact, Mr. Stephen Ireland himself?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Futhermore, I can't fault him on the granny thing, a girlfriend having a miscarriage is none of our business and he's under no obligation to tell us anything regarding his personal life.
    So lying about your granny dying, then lying about the other one dying is the proper thing to do if your girlfriend has a miscarriage? All you have to do is say he is out for "personal reasons" for ****s sake you see that as a reason all of the time.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The lack of empathy with which people treated Ireland after that situation is appalling. Whatever about his conduct afterwards and obvious emotional difficulties, he lost a child at a very young age and had to deal with it under constant media scrutiny. Put yourself in his position for a second and tell me you'd be incapable of making a mistake or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    So lying about your granny dying, then lying about the other one dying is the proper thing to do if your girlfriend has a miscarriage? All you have to do is say he is out for "personal reasons" for ****s sake you see that as a reason all of the time.
    I'm not making excuses for him, but c'mon, he had just turned twenty-one when that whole thing went down. We've been through this already and I don't think many people are going to change his mind, but seriously, at this point, it isn't like he killed your grandmother here. His girlfriend lost a child (allegedly) and the guy clearly has a few screws loose. Nothing wrong with that, most of us do, especially at that age. Give him another chance I say. He's admitted his mistakes, owned up to it, not sure what else you want from him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I'm not making excuses for him, but c'mon, he had just turned twenty-one when that whole thing went down. We've been through this already and I don't think many people are going to change his mind, but seriously, at this point, it isn't like he killed your grandmother here. His girlfriend lost a child (allegedly) and the guy clearly has a few screws loose. Nothing wrong with that, most of us do, especially at that age. Give him another chance I say. He's admitted his mistakes, owned up to it, not sure what else you want from him.
    I'm a month removed from twenty one and I can't understand ever lying about that regardless of the situation...maybe I could have forgiven him after that too but its not exactly the last incident he's been involved in in relation to the national team. I will never accept him back until he apologizes to the team, to Stan, to the FAI, to Trap, etc...to the fans would be nice as well but I rarely believe a player truly owes the fans anything. Until then I'd boo every touch he had if I was at a match.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 21/04/2012 at 6:29 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The lack of empathy with which people treated Ireland after that situation is appalling. Whatever about his conduct afterwards and obvious emotional difficulties, he lost a child at a very young age and had to deal with it under constant media scrutiny. Put yourself in his position for a second and tell me you'd be incapable of making a mistake or two.
    Good point. I used to be of the opinion he owed us fans an apology, but now I'm not so sure he does. Naturally, I felt frustrated as a football fan that such a talent wouldn't want to represent his country (or entertain myself and the nation with his footballing abilities, in other words), but that was just selfishness on my part really along with an inability or unwillingness to understand how playing for Ireland mightn't appeal to someone for whatever reason. What did Stephen Ireland ever owe us in the first place to further owe us an apology? His original lies showed folly of youth, even if he was an adult (on this side of the Atlantic), and the 'personal reasons' excuse would undoubtedly have sufficed (unless the whole thing - miscarriage story and all - was a charade, of course), but we can all make mistakes, especially in times of great emotional stress. I'm prepared to believe the miscarriage story on good faith. What right do I then, as an Ireland fan, but, most importantly, as a total stranger, have to get on some moral high horse over all that?

He might later have referred to Trap "arrogant" and may well have affronted the people of Cork, but that's not really my business. If Trap can see past that, why should I hold some grudge?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    i said more or less the same thing on here a couple of months ago and people were saying that he prob made up the miscarraige aswell. don't think a lot of people would ever accept him in green again

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Like many on here, I would have no truck with Stephen Ireland, as he has been since he quit the team, returning to the fold. I've found his attention-seeking around international dates disruptive and disrepectful. I've scorned all the pink trappings of wealth. But we have to allow for people to change and if he decides to make himself available for selection he should come into consideration, provided his intentions are sincere and he accepts unequivocally that it is a matter for Trappatoni to choose whether or not to call him up.

Trust is the issue for me. He breached the trust he enjoyed with his manager, team mates and fans, whether because of youthful naivety, or a propensity to muddy the waters which he has displayed since. Before anything else, he has to rebuild that trust with the team and show that he can be relied on. Fans are easier to satisfy: all we ask is that he plays his heart out. Get your boots on and play to make us want you. No tears. Lots of sweat. Blood optional.

He has to take responsibility, too, for the granny story. Maybe he was emotionally immature at 21, but he had an agent to advise him, and there’s no way that an FAI press officer wouldn’t have advised him to plead personal circumstances – the media here, generally, are sensible enough to know when to leave a story alone if it has little public interest. Either he or his agent chose the wrong approach. When you’re caught out in a lie you have to show remorse and accept that, whatever your motive, the lie was wrong. I recall he explained why he lied, but I can’t recall whether he accepted it was wrong. Maybe somebody here knows.

Humility is important, too. Paul McGrath, for all that demons stalked his brilliance, was a humble man. Gary Waddock accepted being cut from the 1990 WC squad with humility and dignity. Niall Quinn and Packie Bonner on NewsTalk earlier today deflected praise towards them onto team mates. Irwin, Duff, Doyle... how many more like them have we cheered? Humble and unassuming. As a people, I think we like our heroes that way. It might be something for him to mull on.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    In fairness to him, he has already apologised for the granny thing: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...wsstory.sport4

"I decided at that stage that I must tell the truth and admit I had told lies," Ireland said. "I realise now that it was a massive mistake to say my grandmothers had died and I deeply regret it. It was wrong and I sincerely apologise as I have caused a lot of problems for many people. I would like to apologise to my grandmothers and all my family. I have learnt a valuable lesson from this mess and hope those I have hurt will forgive me."

21. Thanks From: