Page 159 of 258 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,180 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Seriously, no messing around with Andorra like it's a friendly. They play on a ploughed field where Russia only won 1-0.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Seriously, no messing around with Andorra like it's a friendly. They play on a ploughed field where Russia only won 1-0.
    do you mean with me suggesting Fahey and Mccarhty CM? Surely messing around would be playing 2 screening players in cm against minnows like andorra

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Yes, I was. I'm not saying Fahey would be messing, but JMcC probably would and both of them together definitely would.

I'm not showing Andorra too much respect - I'm showing us a total lack of it!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Fahey should start everygame, mccarthy needs a chance to prove himself soon so he can become a serious option, whelan and andrews aren't even good screening midfielders.

in the bigger picture whats the point in him making any changes if hes just gonna bring whelan and andrews back for armenia anyway

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Gents - Trap wont make any changes for the remaining games unless its forced upon him, we now know that much about him

If it was up to me then McCarthy would be in the first team line up but unfortunatly its not. So we will have to wait a while longer to see young James in the first team

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunners View Post
    Gents - Trap wont make any changes for the remaining games unless its forced upon him, we now know that much about him

If it was up to me then McCarthy would be in the first team line up but unfortunatly its not. So we will have to wait a while longer to see young James in the first team
    Spot on. And what does all that tell us? It tells us that no matter what Trap is advised to do, he is his own man and makes his own decisions.

He has been advised by everyone with a pulse that Whelan and Andrews are not upto it for international football. But he is right and we are all wrong! They are 'his' players and good luck to him if he can prove us all wrong. But if we don't qualify then he should be held accountable.

There are better options than Whelan and Andrews, Fahey and McCarthy being just two of them.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Absolutely.

Like Trap would even consider the fans opinions for a nano-second.
    Though suppose will afford some begrudging respect for that. But remain deeply unconvinced by some of his tactics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    While Trap needs to listen to our opinions, James McCarthy has to listen to Trap and turn up for friendlies that is how anyone new has broken into the team over the last two campaigns. Trap needs to trust James in his system before he will trust him into the action in a compeititive game.
    Carrick United:
    Munster Junior Cup Champions 04,10 & 15, Munster Senior Cup Champions 2011, FAI Juinor Cup Champions 2008
    12 x Waterford Premier League Champions

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Absolutely.

Like Trap would even consider the fans opinions for a nano-second.
    Though suppose will afford some begrudging respect for that. But remain deeply unconvinced by some of his tactics.
    AB,

I'm not sure Trap has any need to listen to the fans. You're not alone in having reservations about tactics. We're not blind, nor are we stupid.

It's a results business and the glass is half full in that regard. We seem incapable of beating the decent teams but we don't lose to them (much) and we are good at skipping over the many banana skins put in our way.

I think where you are in the minority is not wanting us to qualify. I'd gladly qualify and lose all 3 group games emphatically, rather than go for another campaign without tangible benefit. If we did qualify I could see us doing a NZ in WC10, or at best a Slovakia 2010.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    As it stands I wouldn't start McCarthy for either Andorra or Armenia, I might have him on the bench and bring him on, but I don't think he has the tactical discipline to win the ball or mark the opposition as well as Fahey or Whelan or Andrews. I think a lot of people seem to see James McCarthy as some sort of panacea, he has the potential to be a very good player for us, but I don't see him as automatic starter for us at the moment.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    McCarthy has been poor in his previous international cameos, has a questionable attitude and his form this season for Wigan has been diabolical. He's coasting on reputation and potential at the moment. Wouldn't have him anywhere near the squad right now, should be a priority for the next friendly fixtures to try him out.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Shouldn't be anywhere near the squad but should be a priority for friendlies... so your solution to a player with questionable attitude is to send him mixed signals?

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Hasn't he been dropped by Wigan recently? I think the least he needs to be doing is playing well for his club again before we can start demanding he starts crucial qualifiers. Fahey is probably ahead of him to come in alongside Whelan or Andrews if Trap does decide to put a more attacking option in the middle.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    577 Posts
    Lads where is Paul Green gone these days??
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Lads where is Paul Green gone these days??
    Had a serious knee injury towards the end of the season.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Yeah, he had surgery during the summer and is expected to miss most of the season, if not all.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Hasn't he been dropped by Wigan recently? I think the least he needs to be doing is playing well for his club again before we can start demanding he starts crucial qualifiers. Fahey is probably ahead of him to come in alongside Whelan or Andrews if Trap does decide to put a more attacking option in the middle.
    Is Fahey now a starter for Birmingham then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,330 Posts
    Fahey's out following an operation, McCarthy starts tonight for Wigan against Palace in the league cup

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    McCarthy starts tonight for Wigan against Palace in the league cup
    Currently 2-0 to Palace. Darren Ambrose on the scoresheet, wasn't he suppose to be declaring for us at one point?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    AB,

I'm not sure Trap has any need to listen to the fans. You're not alone in having reservations about tactics. We're not blind, nor are we stupid.

It's a results business and the glass is half full in that regard. We seem incapable of beating the decent teams but we don't lose to them (much) and we are good at skipping over the many banana skins put in our way.

I think where you are in the minority is not wanting us to qualify. I'd gladly qualify and lose all 3 group games emphatically, rather than go for another campaign without tangible benefit. If we did qualify I could see us doing a NZ in WC10, or at best a Slovakia 2010.
    Don't think I ever said didn't want us to qualify, just the manner in which were, er, going about this.

Though would put infinitely more value on reaching the WCF's over the Euros.
    To the extent would have swapped being robbed last year for the next 3 European Championships.

However, by 2016, would almost expect us to qualify for the Euro Finals whilst they have 24 teams...

Whether JMcC & various others can assist in all of this is another matter. Especially under the current regime, or similar!
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 14/09/2011 at 9:08 PM. Reason: Typo/punctuation!