Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Rant!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

A Rant!

So here we are, Saturday afternoon and there are people driving around blowing horns as Manchester Red Socks beat the Liverpool White Caps. I know this has all been said before on these forums but im so sick of this. What is wrong with these people? As a German friend of mine said with a look of horror once " What is wrong with the Irish, I would never support a French or Spanish team" You go out on the weekends wearing your local teams shirt and I just roll my eyes with all the "why would ya follow that rubbish? " As they sit eyes glued to match of day.

Anyway a pointless rant but seriously sick of this country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    RonnieB, the world is a massive bunch of contradictions and Ireland and its public tend to be no exception. The majority of football followers in Ireland have not really attended many games, and the game they know is one from a television screen. You can get bothered by it, or just accept it and follow your sport, your team, and in the future when their is a bangwagon to jump on for the masses, you can give out about where they were in the days gone by. Its just life. Get upset or just enjoy your club, your league!!!!!
    For all your League of Ireland news - www.extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Well you are not on your own anyway fella, it písses all eL fans off.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    I was in my local shop bout an hour b4 kick off in the BIGl game today and there was a guy standing in front of me in his Liverpool jersey. So I started to chat to him bout todays game, then asked him was he from the town, he said he was. I then asked him does he come out to the Mons games and he said no. I told him he should give it a try and come out and support his local team and he didnt seem that against the idea! Maybe the manic look in my eyes mite have scared him into saying he will!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Hehe, it is easier just not to argue with a woman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's the same here. Infact, when John O'Sheight scored, and massive scream came from next door.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    "BUY A LOTTO TICKET NOW!!! Signed with your own blood if you have to. "

MagicMe, December 2006.
    For all your League of Ireland news - www.extratime.ie

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    im traveling in argentina at the moment, this place is football mad, all the argentinians and european backpackers talk footie 24/7. I have our uefa cup jersey with me and have told the story of our match against IK Start to many people, The ONLY people to laugh or guffaw are the irish, they explain, with deep insight, that irish clubs are rubbish, Ive to count to about 100 in me head, it boils my blood!!
    anyhu the argentinian league is good and they dont give a f about the premier**** here

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    people who think the el is is crap arent necessarily wrong, its more often than not a low standard of football which comes off even worse on poorly broadcasted live games and in particular on el weekly. When anything is portrayed in such an ammetur light people arent going to buy into it. Where as the premiership has been branded xtremely well and spoonfed to the irish public by our 'national broadcaster'.
    Most of us who support an el team do so because of a love of our own teams, being there with your mates when your team scores a last minute equaliser in a cup match is a feeling that stays with you for days after, something that most barstoolers will never get close to and probably an emotion most of them dont know exists in football.
    It's up to the fai now to realise that theres a marketable product on their hands which has the potential to regenerate confidence in them especially with the national team being at such a low, of course to think this will happen would be putting a lot of unfounded confidence in this shambolic organistation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Low standard compared to what?
    Thats the problem if all the time the league is only going to be compared with English football . Its grossly unfair on the Eircom League to compare it to the Premiership , I think the standard is quite good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    i wouldnt be sayin that at, all we all know that our teams play bad somtimes but most times its really good football, the likes of man utd and liverpool and the rest play s***e football too just cause its on the tv means notin, it doesnt make it better, if you play football against man utd theyll punish you, reading did and lost not by much, but to play open football agains a team like that wont get you anything, horribly ugly football wins games, "fact", i know ive watched the s*** to for years, but my team comes first,

HD TV just as good as being there sorry mr gray i dont think so
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My team also comes first but doesnt mean im going to pretend all is rosey in the el. bcoz sky/bbc/rte add so much hype to the premiership it comes across as a much better package, over analysis and repetition of good goals etc leaves you with a better perception of their game then the embarissingly poor coverage of our games, Rtes branding of the ga championship and 6 nations is also impressive by way of those really effective add campaigns and highlight reels . Basically this is what people are presented with to buy into and the way it is i see why people dont buy into our league .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    Low standard compared to what?
    Thats the problem if all the time the league is only going to be compared with English football . Its grossly unfair on the Eircom League to compare it to the Premiership , I think the standard is quite good.
    Ok. So forget the Premiership. Compare it to other European leagues. Do you think Irish teams could really compete over a 30-odd game season against teams from Holland, Belgium and Portugal say?
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    Ok. So forget the Premiership. Compare it to other European leagues. Do you think Irish teams could really compete over a 30-odd game season against teams from Holland, Belgium and Portugal say?

So, your point is, Frank ? That people shouldn't support their local team because there are leagues of a higher standard elsewhere ? I'm sorry, but the logic of that escapes me. Speaking personally, I couldn't give a toss about what goes on elsewhere. I'll watch English games, or Spanish ones, or champions league, and often enjoy them, but it doesn't mean a thing to me who wins (though I have a slight fondness for Barcelona I confess) The point is that NOTHING compares to supporting St Patricks Athletic for me, nor ever could. I know if we were to play Man Who next week we'd get thumped, but since when is that the point of supporting a team ? Of course we're preaching to the converted on this forum, so as Gareth says, we shouldn't let it get to us too much.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    So, your point is, Frank ? That people shouldn't support their local team because there are leagues of a higher standard elsewhere ? I'm sorry, but the logic of that escapes me.
    My point was that Gustavo was saying it's unfair to compare the standard of football here to the Premiership. I was merely asking what should it be compared to then.

I personally think people should support whoever they want to and they shouldn't be judged by people for not supporting there local team. There's an awful lot of people on here who are elitist. They think they're great because they support their local team and that everybody else who doesn't needs to feel guilty about not supporting their local side. You're not going to win people over like that. People are going to make the choice themselves. Bullying tactics and guilt-trips won't work.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    A few of us tried to explain to a Mexican friend of mine today that all the people in the pub we were in were watching an English league match - she knows nothing about football, but struggled with the idea of her countrymen or women taking such an interest in any US sport, and was frankly shocked when the situation here was outlined. For once, in her eyes at least, I, and my Pats supporting mate who was there, appeared the sane ones.

What was even odder was the way people who know I go to every Bohs match I can started slagging me about Arsenal, the prem team i nominally support; when I said I was much more looking forward to next friday than I was disappointed about the Blackburn result, they just look puzzled; that's not 'real' football even though I really go and watch it in the place where it really happens quite close to the real players and surrounded by real fans. Real football is played by 4 teams in England and Celtic, apparently.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    ya but how are you a fan of football when you cant even follow your local team, and say you love a team 200 miles away, who youve seen live 4 our 5 times in your life and you pay overpriced ticket costs travel acomodation and the likes for a product thats at your doorstep, and all you hear it the EL is s*** that not an answear, some football fans a watch more football than them they only watch "there" team and no one else, i watch my team, celtic, man utd, barecelona, even go see cork city when i wanna watch a game, if were not playin the weekend at home, cause you cant beat goin out and watchin it live, TV is no substitution for a live game atmosphere our not
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don ramo View Post
    but most times its really good football, the likes of man utd and liverpool and the rest play s***e football too just cause its on the tv means notin

This is all wrong. In no way, shape or form can you say that any LOI team play better football than a Premiership team.

Trying to help the league improve is a great thing, but just blindly hyping it up and just saying it is better than it really is, when it clearly is not, doesnt help anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    My point was that Gustavo was saying it's unfair to compare the standard of football here to the Premiership. I was merely asking what should it be compared to then.

I personally think people should support whoever they want to and they shouldn't be judged by people for not supporting there local team. There's an awful lot of people on here who are elitist. They think they're great because they support their local team and that everybody else who doesn't needs to feel guilty about not supporting their local side. You're not going to win people over like that. People are going to make the choice themselves. Bullying tactics and guilt-trips won't work.
    Will this envy of Cork City FC ever end!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    slick marketing verses poor administration at all levels but we will get there if we stop sending out the wrong messages
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast