Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 2235

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    I see Eddie Jordan contributed his tuppenceworth to the debate the other day:

"Eddie Jordan Urges FAI To Ask Irish Super-Rich To Help Pay Managers Wages" - https://www.balls.ie/football/eddie-...h-wages-587312

Anyone know whether he's any relation to this Eddie Jordan from a while back?

"Eddie Jordan... ... says it's time for the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) to 'get off the potty', stand on its own two feet and stop depending on hand-outs from benefactors to pay the salary of Giovanni Trapattoni, the national team manager." - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/j...ay-5s5g2r9h6tb
    So, stand up and potty !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Exactly. Surely there's somebody out there we've never heard of with a beard, cool hair, tight jeans and white trainers who'll be brilliant for us. That seems to be the go to choice for all the good club teams.
    We can't afford all of those things. And Roy Keane already has a beard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    BBC Wales Sports guy has picked up on the Coleman angle, though no actual quotations or sources etc, so it's possibly just a space filler on a quiet Monday?

Chris Coleman: Ex-Wales boss a leading candidate for Republic of Ireland job

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68337099

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    I think people are being too negative in relation to Coleman. He did get Wales to the semi finals of the European championships. Which makes him a successful international manager.

Is that not what we are looking for!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Coleman was a good looking fella in his hay-day if that helps anyone !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Hughtons record is no better than the clowns as you call them, in fact I'd say Lennon getting Celtic to Champ League Qtr final and Coleman getting Wales to Euros semi are both higher peaks than Hughton ever achieved. I think it's safe to say most of us dont want anything to do with all 3 and if any are appointed Canham needs firing. He set out a criteria for a head coach and none of those 3 come close to it
    Oh come on - Hughton managed three teams in the PL - got two of them promoted and did a remarkable job keeping Brighton there for two seasons on a shoestring. The season Southampton finished just above Brighton in the table the entire Southampton first team were being paid more than the highest paid player at Brighton (and Brighton had pretty much a championship squad both seasons). Hughton also managed to get a very poor Ghana side into AFCON (and they were 3 mins and 2 goals up from sending Egypt home and qualifying for the knockout phase).

Lennon had one good run in the CL - in 2012 when Celtic were hammered by Juve in the last 16. He was fortunate that Barcelona were poor that season (they were hammered 7-0 on agg by Bayern Munich in the knockout stages) - and when the CL is the only competition you have to concentrate on you can pull out a couple of decent results. The following year Celtic ended bottom of their group, not winning a game and getting beaten 0-7 by Barcelona. Lennon had zero competition in Scotland during his time with Celtic - he was a disaster with Bolton, a disaster with Hibs, a disaster with Nicosia and never got a whiff of a PL job because he was useless as a coach.

Coleman wasn't much better - I have gone through his record before
    Fulham - he had a very good squad that included Van der Saar, Saha, Malbranque, Boa Morte and did a decent job with them
    Real Sociedad - lasted 7 months before resigning
    Coventry in the Championship - sacked after 18 months - led them to their lowest position ever at that point.
    AEL - resigned after six months
    Wales - did worse than Ireland in the 2014 WC qualifiers (finished fifth in the group) - in the following Euros Wales had their best ever squad with Bale and several others at their peak. The won a relatively weak group containing England, Slovakia and a terrible Russian team - beat N.Ireland in the round of 16 and had a good win over Belgium in the QF before getting well beaten by Portugal in the SF. Ireland knocked Wales out of the 2018 WC qualifiers and Coleman was gone.
    Sunderland in the Championship - Sacked after six months when he got them relegated to L1
    Hebei China - sacked after less than a year after a disasterous time there.

Coleman hasn't been able to get a job for the last five years and I think it is noteworthy that he never got a PL job offer after his stint with Wales (or after his time with Fulham).

Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    It sort of feels like Chris Coleman's main qualification for the job is that he isn't Neil Lennon.

If it's come down to a straight choice between the 2 of them, I feel the FAI have made the right choice. But it should never have come down to those 2.
    I agree - Coleman's upside is that he is not Lennon - but - again - if Lennon and Coleman are the candidates in the frame then Chris Hughton should at least be on the list.

And if we end up with Coleman he will be almost as big a disaster as Lennon would have been - and it would be an indictment on the FAI top brass and their inability to do their job.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    You'd think that Chris Hughton would be a safe pair of hands ( if not that inspiring )

I wonder is Chris Hughton even interested in the job ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    I wonder is Chris Hughton even interested in the job ?
    According to Brian Kerr no he doesn't.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Coleman is a better than Lennon but still massively underwhelming. I'd have preferred someone completely out of left field tbh.

My idea of someone we could afford who might take it is an ex-Watford manager who's bounced around several European leagues since then. The name that got me to was Slaviša Jokanovi?.

On the upside with Coleman he was at least willing to try young players as Wales manager. I'm all in favour of that side of his approach.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Michael Beale is available again already!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Coleman is a better than Lennon but still massively underwhelming. I'd have preferred someone completely out of left field tbh.

My idea of someone we could afford who might take it is an ex-Watford manager who's bounced around several European leagues since then. The name that got me to was Slaviša Jokanovi?.

On the upside with Coleman he was at least willing to try young players as Wales manager. I'm all in favour of that side of his approach.
    Declan Rice would be ours for sure. I like how he capped promising players early alright.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Off The Ball recomending O'Shea as interim until the right man is found. I'd be happier with this than an underwhelming permanent appointment.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1759578587680960969

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Michael Beale is available again already!
    If Tuchel gets the boot from Bayern and Barry leaves with him reporters will have a field day being able to churn out a few extra articles linking Barry or Beale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    [QUOTE=Jolly Red Giant;2177614]
    "[Coleman's Wales] beat N.Ireland in the round of 16".

True, but as even he was forced to admit: Chris Coleman: 'Wales got lucky in seeing off Northern Ireland'
    https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footbal...ky_275502.html

Not that I'm still bitter or anything....

Anyhow, my own view is that as a manager, Coleman is not that bad (eg Staunton or Kenny), but he's not that good either (Charlton or McCarthy). He was lucky to take over Wales when he did because (a ) Oisin Roberts had done a great job behind the scenes; (b ) Toshack and Speed had both done a good job on the pitch before him; and (c ) Gareth Bale.

Now tbf, he didn't waste those assets or take them backwards etc, but I get the impression that when he's had to work elsewhere with more modest resources, he's never really punched above his weight either.

One other thing: from what I've heard, if he should get the gig, you might be advised to lock up your daughters for the duration!

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    I'd be happier with this than an underwhelming permanent appointment.
    Sweden have been looking for a new manager as long as us (technically longer as the previous manager's departure was known before his final game). If only underwhelming options exist, there's no immediate rush to appoint. Think the interim would be Crawford though.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    867 Posts
    Now tbf, he didn't waste those assets or take them backwards etc, but I get the impression that when he's had to work elsewhere with more modest resources, he's never really punched above his weight either.
    He delivered, yes, they had a superstar in Giggs before with some decent players around him and they didn't make it to the show, Bale or not, Coleman did. Equally that is all he has ever done of note and that is a valid concern with particular reference to our own midfield options.

One other thing: from what I've heard, if he should get the gig, you might be advised to lock up your daughters for the duration!
    There is smoke around that fire, yes. He will chase the ladies and tends to catch them.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    "Failing to show for a press conference ahead of a weekend game, Coleman claimed he had been attending to a flooded dishwasher at home.
    It later transpired Coleman had been spotted trolleying booze in a local nightclub just hours earlier. "I was in the wrong place at the wrong time," he mumbled by way of apology, referring to a bar and an early hour."

Sounds like exactly what we need..........

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Coleman a candidate who doesn't exactly inspire. His club career is nothing to write home about, albeit in a few cases he was in a job where the head office seemed to want the team to fail. I recall his first campaign with Wales had a lot of losses that almost had him gone very early, including getting smashed in Belgrade, before it all came right. They also got a little fortune with the 2016 qualifying group, but the Finals performances speaks for itself. I'd take him over Lennon and Keane.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    He delivered, yes, they had a superstar in Giggs before with some decent players around him and they didn't make it to the show, Bale or not, Coleman did.
    There is no doubt that Giggs was a truly great player - in a truly great Man Utd side. But his record for Wales was much less impressive, not least in that he often didn't appear to give a stuff about them, if it clashed with his Man U duties - or haven't you ever seen "Ryan Giggs Hamstring" in a medical dictionary? Which was reflected in his playing only 64 caps in a 16 year international career.

By contrast Bale was always totally dedicated to playing for his country:

Which was why he played 111 times for Wales during his 16 year international career, retiring a season after his last cap (Giggs went on playing for Man U for another 7 years after his last cap).

Not only that, but Bale was a (one-man) match winner in a way that Giggs wasn't, scoring eg 41 goals = 1 every 2.7 games. Whereas Giggs got 12 in his 64 = 1 every 5.3 games.

(None of which is to disparage Giggs' overall greatness, just that his international career doesn't begin to match that of Bale's)

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    I've heard the main sticking point in Colemans contract negotiations is that he's demanding Lillies Bordello be reopened. A former player, who is hoping to be on Colemans backroom staff, has let it be known that all the best nights in the teams past were in there.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

24. Thanks From: