Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2394

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I have a theory that Colemans name was thrown out there knowing the reaction it would cause and force the board into giving more money for Carsley.... stranger things have happened.
    How can Chris Coleman be only 3 years older than Lee carsley?

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    We might as well put Stephen Kenny in charge for the next set of matches until the FAI can convince a real manager to take the job permanently.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Anthony Hudson is another who won't be getting it.

Former USA assistant manager now in charge in Qatar. That'd be left field I guess, so maybe they are looking out there. But now it just feels a bit desperate.
    Hudson was excellent with NZ, made them relevant really. Could almost be Postecoglou before Celtic type appointment. I'm happy to see they spoke with him at least
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    The phone in vote scenario is starting to feel like a real possibility now. Could we monetize it enough to pay off the debts?

Would Patrick Kielty start ahead of Mattress Mick? At least Jeff Hendrick wouldn't play.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Hudson was excellent with NZ, made them relevant really. Could almost be Postecoglou before Celtic type appointment. I'm happy to see they spoke with him at least
    Yeah, because it seems they have gone outside the beaten paths of usual suspects. Which is what a lot of people wanted to see them bring to it.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 19/02/2024 at 8:14 PM.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    How can Chris Coleman be only 3 years older than Lee carsley?
    Born 3 years before Lee I suppose !

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Paddy McCarthy in charge of Palace tonight

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Born 3 years before Lee I suppose !
    Hard to argue with that

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    His role with NZ was very similar to what the FAI want from their new head coach too. Was responsible for overseeing the programme of the country's age-group representative sides and this also included managing their U23s.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    The managerial game of musical chairs that this has become or seems to be ( although may not be as nobody seems to actually know anything and it might still all be ok ) has reopened on Bet365 this morning with John O'Shea favourite at 6/4 - as a possible interim according to one journo - but then again the journos have been a week behind the play for some time now, so who knows. Anyway, place your bets kids.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    John O’Shea was let go by the FAI in the very recent past but is now seen as an interim manager. That doesn’t add up in my head. And is that a good choice? - it did really accelerate south for us when he became part of the Kenny team ….

All writing in the press about this seem to be in the dark as much as everybody else. But personally, feels like the FAI want Carsley and are willing to wait to get him. An interim manager appointment therefore seems plausible.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    maybe its all to soften us so when Lennon takes it as a charity case as no one it wanted bar him !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts
    Lads, yis are missing out big time - Steve Bruce is throwing his hat into the ring for the vacant South Korea job (would delight his dear old granny from Busan), but would also be interested in Saudi, since he fancies managing "overseas" (nothing to do with the money, then). And give him the job and you'd get (Prodigal Son) Alex thrown in for free as one of his coaches!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...saudi-32159312

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What about Robbie Keane. He made a great start in Israel and must be looking to get out of there asap.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Give Crawford the interim job for March. We might actually get to see Bosun Lawal play in his best position then for the U21s.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    John O’Shea was let go by the FAI in the very recent past but is now seen as an interim manager. That doesn’t add up in my head. And is that a good choice? - it did really accelerate south for us when he became part of the Kenny team ….

All writing in the press about this seem to be in the dark as much as everybody else. But personally, feels like the FAI want Carsley and are willing to wait to get him. An interim manager appointment therefore seems plausible.
    Birmingham were a disaster while he was there with Rooney too. I just keep going back to the O'Shea and Barry comparison. I think its fairly well acknowledged that we were at our best under Kenny when Anthony Barry was in charge. So much so that a lot of people want Barry to get the manager job now. But if we were at our best under Barry, we were at our absolute worst under O'Shea. We looked a team that wasnt coached in basic things. We have zero evidence hes even a decent coach let alone someone who could be a manager.

I liked O'Shea as a player, I thought he never got enough credit for his versatility and he was good. By all accounts hes a very nice fella too, but none of that is relevant in any way. I just dont get why hes even in the conversation for interim job (let alone permanent job in one bookies). To me hes as tainted as Keith Andrews is, and I wouldnt have Andrews near the job either.

IF it was a case O'Shea was appointed interim for March, mainly because hes currently unemployed, that announcement would have to come with a clear message that they have found their man but hes just not available to take over until after these games. Carsley for example, may think its now too close to the English u21s game to walk away now but after march they dont have another game until September and that would give the FA plenty of time to find his replacement.

Under no circumstances can we be going into the March games with O'Shea in charge and we are still out interviewing people. If we managed to get a decent result because Belgium took it handy in a friendly you know there would be a groundswell of opinion to leave him in the job permanently and by this time next year we'd be back discussing who the next manager will be.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    If they go interim for March it will surely be an in-house interim manager. Would they really bring someone in from outside the FAI for two games.

If O'Shea actually gets the interim gig I can't see it being for just two games. If they go outside the FAI I think it's for four games minimum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    If they go interim for March it will surely be an in-house interim manager. Would they really bring someone in from outside the FAI for two games.

If O'Shea actually gets the interim gig I can't see it being for just two games. If they go outside the FAI I think it's for four games minimum.
    I dont know why it would be 4 games. Plenty of time to get manager in place between March and June..... but in fairness theyve also had plenty of time since September and we all knew Kenny was done. Its a joke that we are even talking about a potential interim at this stage when they have had so long to get this done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Jaysus. I think back at the stage when I was looking Kenny out I posted something about how if we can't afford to replace him just put him on gardening leave and make John O'Shea manager.

Be careful what you wish for I guess.

If it's an interim position Damian Duff should be asked to come in. Maybe if it goes well we could trick him into taking the job permanently!

Failing that maybe John Sheridan. He has at least been in management before, and has experience of coming into way worse situations than this at Oldham before.

He'll probably still be one of the best passers of the ball in training.

Not anyone associated with the Kenny era or any ex LOI type working for the FAI.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.