Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 57 of 113 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 2242

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    722 Posts
    Diggs, play nice. You're both entitled to your opinions without throwing jibes. People can judge the opinions for themselves.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Nope, but actual charges, not just made up tabloid nonsense with no police reports, charges or anything beyond the waffling of a scorned woman.
    Very serious accusations from a woman that if untrue would most probably result in a libel case, that never happened.

Defending a man who threatened a woman with a knife is an odd stance to take, but unsurprising from you I must say
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    but unsurprising from you I must say
    RLP, same comment. Your argument stands by itself - personally I tend to agree with it - but that last clause is unnecessary and too personal.

I don't want to have to cut off this line of discussion, because Lennon is - to some people's dissatisfaction - on topic for the thread, but if it continues to be as aggressive, it will become necessary for the mods to intervene.

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Very serious accusations from a woman that if untrue would most probably result in a libel case, that never happened.

Defending a man who threatened a woman with a knife is an odd stance to take, but unsurprising from you I must say
    I suppose the flip side of that argument, to play devil's advocate, is that equally there was never a conviction or anything further than a tabloid story so far as I can see.

Reading the article, I don't think it's correct to say he threatened a woman with a knife either. He passed a comment that something could happen - which is a pretty ****ty thing to say, but it's not quite the same as actually taking up a knife against someone.

Given he apologised for the comments and paid her £10k, I don't think weldoninho is correct to say it was just "the waffling of a scorned woman" either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Look its been common knowledge for years that Lennon has plenty of off the field activities that make him unsuitable to be the manager of our national team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    That's as maybe (yet it was never a problem with Roy Keane was on the coaching panel), but it's no reason to exaggerate accusations against him in fairness.

Somewhere in between the two sides there's a balanced position and in the era of social media and clickbait news, I think we should all be conscious of trying to get there.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    I'm pretty sure hes the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young wan.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I'm pretty sure hes the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young wan.
    There ~ But for the grace of god, go any of us (wink)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That's as maybe (yet it was never a problem with Roy Keane was on the coaching panel), but it's no reason to exaggerate accusations against him in fairness.

Somewhere in between the two sides there's a balanced position and in the era of social media and clickbait news, I think we should all be conscious of trying to get there.
    Does Keane have similar accusations against him? On field activities more of a problem there I'd have thought.

Im warming to the idea of Keane tbh. At least the interviews would be watchable even if the football wasn't.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Does Keane have similar accusations against him? On field activities more of a problem there I'd have thought.

Im warming to the idea of Keane tbh. At least the interviews would be watchable even if the football wasn't.
    Roy Keane would probably be a circus ~ ~ But probably a reasonably well watched circus ~ ~ Money generator ~ ~ Sometimes, hide behind the sofa ~ ~ Watch through fingers.

It probably wouldn't last more than 18 months ~ ~ Maybe then a good quality manager might be available. OK, 18 months of purgatory for real soccer fans, but ya can't always get what you want !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Well I'm referring to weldoninho's links on the last page where he was twice previously arrested and charged with assault. I don't think anything came of those either, so the point would be that yeah, there is a similar enough accusation against him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...medium=twitter

Fallon says we are being stalled by budget for staff
    If its a budget issue then I don't see any blame here for Fai. They have financial issues and huge scrutiny on their governance so if its not financially viable they have no option but to try and negotiate and be prepared to move on. That's the accountability people wanted from the new fai. You can't just spend money you don't have in the hope that it will bring success

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Well I'm referring to weldoninho's links on the last page where he was twice previously arrested and charged with assault. I don't think anything came of those either, so the point would be that yeah, there is a similar enough accusation against him.
    Ah apologies, I thought you were talking about the knife incident.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    If its a budget issue then I don't see any blame here for Fai. They have financial issues and huge scrutiny on their governance so if its not financially viable they have no option but to try and negotiate and be prepared to move on. That's the accountability people wanted from the new fai. You can't just spend money you don't have in the hope that it will bring success
    I wonder has the delay been so that they can get the Revolut deal over the line which might give them extra funds to use for this.

Its the hope that kills you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Dan mcd’s newsletter:

Dear reader,

It seems appropriate to start the first newsletter of 2024 by quoting the final sentence from the 2023 farewell in December.

The subject was the early wave of betting driven speculation around the Ireland job.

“Let’s hope the circus has moved onto something else by the time this newsletter returns in February,” was the optimistic sign-off.

It’s the hope that kills you.

Jonathan Hill promised last week that there would be announcement overshadowing the League of Ireland launch – although the extent to which the FAI are in control of any timelines here is open to debate.

Pundit talk has replaced paper talk this week – with Shay Given emerging as an unlikely news source with a definitive take on Lee Carsley’s intentions.

For what it’s worth, there are other ex-teammates of Carsley who haven’t given up on the prospect of his appointment and my belief is that negotiations are ongoing but it appears safe to assume that there’ll be time to return to the circus next week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I guess the difference between Keane and Lennon is that Keane responded to that incident by cutting out the booze and cleaning up his act. He's spoken many times about how that night was a turning point in his career and his life.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/.../26243156.html

I wouldn't be a massive fan of appointing Roy Keane tbh, but he's obviously not the man he was in the 1990s. With Lennon it's far from clear that he's done the same.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    http://www.thesun.ie/sport/12216989/...-hill-manager/

I know it's the sun but it's detailed like it's not made up

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    A made up story by a woman scorned that was never reported to the cops, just spread about the tabloids. Why would anyone question that? IF it had really happened he'd have been arrested and questioned at the very least. Don't believe everything you read in tabloids.
    If that was the case - why did Lennon issue an apology saying that he was "very sorry for his actions" (ignoring the fact that the woman had a recording of him talking about the threat and that there is clear evidence of Lennon's associates, his lawyers, his PR company and the cops attempting to intimidate her).

Lennon (and those who hang around with him) has a record of aggressive behaviour - towards at least one woman that we know of - towards players to the point that after one particularly aggressive altercation at a squad meeting led to him having to resign from his job.

Lennon has spoken about having mental health issues - but these are not an excuse for such behaviour. Drinking alcohol to excess does not help with mental health issues or issues of aggression - and these accusations have been in the background for many, many years.

What clubs owned by oligarchs do is their own business - but the FAI is, in part, funded by government money (i.e. our money) and there is no way that they should be appointing someone with a record of threats against a woman or such an aggressive attitude towards players.

26. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    I suppose the flip side of that argument, to play devil's advocate, is that equally there was never a conviction or anything further than a tabloid story so far as I can see.

Reading the article, I don't think it's correct to say he threatened a woman with a knife either. He passed a comment that something could happen - which is a pretty ****ty thing to say, but it's not quite the same as actually taking up a knife against someone.

Given he apologised for the comments and paid her £10k, I don't think weldoninho is correct to say it was just "the waffling of a scorned woman" either.
    Lennon is know for his aggression and when he is in a relationship with a woman who is then telling him that she will tell his long-term partner, saying 'someone could put a knife to your throat' is pretty clear in its intent. In a relationship with an unbalanced power dynamic (a 45 year-old man in a high-profile job and a woman more than 20 years his junior) even the most subtle of comments can be threats - and this was not a subtle comment.

His 'apology' was not a fulsome apology - it was a wording designed to allow Bolton to avoid sacking him - it was not made to the woman in question, but to the media to try and redeem his reputation.

Last point - Lennon never paid her any money - he sent his PR company to her to offer her money in return for her signing an NDA and deleting all communication, messages, and photos from her phone. She refused to accept the money - and this intervention by the PR company prompted the woman to meet with Lennon's long-term partner. When Lennon found out she was talking to his partner (he phoned the woman he had threatened while she was there) he headed straight to the Greater Manchester Police reporting that the woman was attempting to blackmail him, knowing full well that the basis of any blackmail was unfounded because she had already told his partner what had happened and that the evidence actually proved the opposite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...ivhq1VeIpluR50

Lennon says he doesn't know FAI decision, but it will come in next few days