Page 67 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 2455

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Still think they should just turn the FAI into a reality TV show at this stage. Would be prime time TV and they could make a fortune on sponsorship and charging people to text in vote on decisions.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    It takes a long time to do all that redacting in fairness. Hopefully now it's done they can maybe focus on the whole manager thing a bit more. Maybe save a few quid on printer cartridges as well.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Some posters expect us to do a Leeds/Portsmouth/Rangers, and hope that it works out for us unlike how it turned out for them.
    These, of course, all being privately owned football clubs as opposed to national football associations.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Not sure what the relevance of that is?

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    These, of course, all being privately owned football clubs as opposed to national football associations.
    You don't think the FAI can go bankrupt??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    If they did and the government didn't bail them out after another clown show at the PAC, would we get a whole new FA? I assume there's more downside here than is obvious to me.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    If they did and the government didn't bail them out after another clown show at the PAC, would we get a whole new FA? I assume there's more downside here than is obvious to me.
    I wonder do FIFA and or UEFA have punitive measures in place if an organization goes bankrupt ie kicked out of the world cup or Euros

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I wonder do FIFA and or UEFA have punitive measures in place if an organization goes bankrupt ie kicked out of the world cup or Euros
    They don't and it would never happen. That's not to say that we should start throwing around millions that we don't have, but we can certainly stretch to a few hundred thousand more for a senior manager.

Surely it should be obvious that a private football club and a national association aren't particularly comparable?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    That's not to say that we should start throwing around millions that we don't have, but we can certainly stretch to a few hundred thousand more for a senior manager.
    Come back John Delaney; all is forgiven!

Surely it should be obvious that a private football club and a national association aren't particularly comparable?!
    I'd argue they're very comparable. Portsmouth and Leeds spent too much reaching for the stars, had their wings burnt, and the debt levels they built up held them back for years. They've never really recovered - Portsmouth haven't been above the third tier in a dozen years; Leeds' recent PL spell was their first since the **** hit the fan.

That all sounds very comparable to what's happening the FAI now

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    But they're not really though. Ireland can't be relegated multiple divisions due to financial impropriety, or have to start again from the Northern Counties league or the Scottish third division as a result of a liquidation. Every country in the world has a football association, there's a need for one that goes beyond the role of a privately owned football club. So the reality is that the potential consequences for a football club will never be the same as a national football association. They're two very different things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    But Portsmouth and Leeds didn't have that either.

What they did have was funds tied up in debt repayments holding them back for years and years. Exactly what we're seeing with the FAI now

I think in theory we could be relegated to the bottom Nations League group btw. And maybe even restart as a bottom seed in qualifying. Just because it's never happened before (that I'm aware of) doesn't mean we should find out what could happen.

Spending a few hundred grand extra (per year .. ignoring the likely knock-on impact of an increase in backroom staff) does not sound like a reasonable business plan

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    But they're not really though. Ireland can't be relegated multiple divisions due to financial impropriety, or have to start again from the Northern Counties league or the Scottish third division as a result of a liquidation. Every country in the world has a football association, there's a need for one that goes beyond the role of a privately owned football club. So the reality is that the potential consequences for a football club will never be the same as a national football association. They're two very different things.
    You sound like you know more than I do on the topic of consequences. What would actually happen if they went to the wall?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Well, there's a few possibilities. Most of them involved state funding in one form or another, - be it a loan or a bailout - which almost certainly wouldn't happen with a club. But at the end of it all there would still be a national football association and we'd continue to have a national football team.

Look, none of this is going to happen anyway for the sake of throwing a few hundred thousand extra to hire a better manager. Especially not in the context of the debts JD ran up. As I said earlier a better manager would be more likely to pay for himself, especially if the alternative is a Jim Crawford or a Stephen Bradley type or, god forbid, a Neil Lennon.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Well, there's a few possibilities. Most of them involved state funding in one form or another, - be it a loan or a bailout - which almost certainly wouldn't happen with a club. But at the end of it all there would still be a national football association and we'd continue to have a national football team.

Look, none of this is going to happen anyway for the sake of throwing a few hundred thousand extra to hire a better manager. Especially not in the context of the debts JD ran up. As I said earlier a better manager would be more likely to pay for himself, especially if the alternative is a Jim Crawford or a Stephen Bradley type or, god forbid, a Neil Lennon.
    You want tax payers to pay for the FAI to gamble on qualifying for a tournament?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    At the expense of, say, investing in LoI academies which would help develop players to make our team better in the future

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    You sound like you know more than I do on the topic of consequences. What would actually happen if they went to the wall?
    They could ask to rejoin the IFA?

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    At the expense of, say, investing in LoI academies which would help develop players to make our team better in the future
    There are plastic hammers that have gone uninflated for years now stu! Priorities.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    You want tax payers to pay for the FAI to gamble on qualifying for a tournament?
    No - I specifically said I didn't expect that to happen. But feel free to twist it whatever way suits your own agenda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    You only don't expect it to happen because you don't understand accountancy though

Anyone can "not expect" things to happen on that basis

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    No - I specifically said I didn't expect that to happen. But feel free to twist it whatever way suits your own agenda.
    What odds are you giving and on what basis?

And please go back and answer my earlier question - what happens to the people currently going without a full wage for actually trying to help the sport in this country? How does your budget increase help them?