International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

The Darts

Didnt get to see any of the PDC on Sky, pity as I really like Whitlock
    So have to make do with the BDO
    It came alive yesterday - that young fella from Northern Ireland (Guerney)was great, coming from 2-0. playing Wolfie next up which should be a cracking game
    Also Irish man Martin Mcloskey won last night and is into the second round

I have backed Chisnall at 8/1 after seeing him in the first round, steady player

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Can't watch the BDO to be honest, just far too poor of a standard. Maybe it's just after watching the PDC that makes the BDO seems worse than it is but the BDO World Championships needs to be moved to before the PDC to get interest back in it I'd say.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    BDO will always be a sentimental favourite with me, it reminds of my early childhood, my grandparents and the real legends of darts like Bristow, Wilson, Lowe and Anderson. Over the last few years the gap in standards has been fairly narrow based on the averages (I posted them somewhere on here the last few years), I think BDO has suffered badly with the first round starting on the weekend of the PDC finals. With all the major defections over the last year this probably is the weakest BDO field ever and I'd be surprised to see anyone hit 100 average, but there'll still be plenty in the 90's which is still a very good standard to watch.

If the PDC takeover of the BDO ever goes ahead I'd love to see the Lakeside retained and renamed as the World Amateur Darts Championship, with the prize for the winner being a chance to play a full year on the PDC circuit (turning professional would be optional but all travel and tournament entry fees would be covered, the runner up might get entry into 50% and the semi finalists 25%). This should still attract a very good standard of player and would give the competition a renewed meaning.

Great to see two Irish players in the second round this year too.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    I like your idea passinginterest! Could also play a round of the Premier League at the Lakeside. I would have suggested playing the final there, but there isn't enough space/seating.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I think I brought this up last year as well Passing but BDO averages don't count when there is a finish on, whereas the PDC thus which skews the difference between them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    It is good to see the Irish lads get through, Gurney's avg was (91.11) and McCloskey's (79.74). Highest from Round 1 was 90/91, OK stuff, but no where near the PDC levels, where about 20+ players averaged over that in their Round 1.

I think it is only a matter of time before the 2 merge together, the BDO is run by the old school, and when they call it a day, than maybe the merge will happen. If the PDC decide to introduce their own county system, then the BDO's will suffer greatly and the standards will drop even more. I think thats why the PDC want to purchase it, cause the county system is already there, but if they are forced to act, they will.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    I think I brought this up last year as well Passing but BDO averages don't count when there is a finish on, whereas the PDC thus which skews the difference between them.
    Did you ever find anything to back that up? I'm pretty sure all of them are per dart averages so 15 dart leg = 100.2 average or 33.4 per dart.

*I think what causes the confusion is the BDO also refer to a "1st 9 average" at times during the games and this tends to be much higher as these are purely scoring throws.
    Last edited by passinginterest; 05/01/2010 at 6:36 PM.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    This was my second year properly watching the PDC and given the problems the BDO has encountered over the past year I was stunned by how much the gulf seems to be widening. I don't know if there's even a handful of players in the BDO that could compete.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    What ever happens the whole bbc/bdo presentation needs a complete overhaul. Green & Fitzmaurice should be first out and somebody needs to tell Hankey that his gimmic is cringeworthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Can't watch the BDO to be honest, just far too poor of a standard. Maybe it's just after watching the PDC that makes the BDO seems worse than it is but the BDO World Championships needs to be moved to before the PDC to get interest back in it I'd say.
    Some dont have SKy unfortunately. Yeah the standard in the BDO can be awful - esp the early rounds. The Dutch with the fast hits, and the Aussie who froze, or maybe he really is that bad!!
    But the young fella from Norn iron and Chessy are great, and its only a matter of time before they follow the money to the PDC. I find that the BDO is like an academy for the PDC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    BDO tends to have better finals in my opinion.
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    BDO tends to have better finals in my opinion.
    In terms of final score maybe, but the quality finals have definitely been in the PDC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    In terms of final score maybe, but the quality finals have definitely been in the PDC.
    Not really. Apart from Taylor V Barney a few years ago its just usually Taylor winning quite confortably each time.
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Yes, he maybe winning easily, but by God, he is pushed in the finals, he is just so unbelievable he makes it look easy.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdonian Stu View Post
    This was my second year properly watching the PDC and given the problems the BDO has encountered over the past year I was stunned by how much the gulf seems to be widening. I don't know if there's even a handful of players in the BDO that could compete.
    Well they say that every year, Whitlock and Webster made it to the semi's of the PDC this year, and Whitlock to the final obviously, having only switched from BDO. Outside of Taylor the top few in the the BDO could easily compete with the PDC. King made top 5 in his first year after his switch, Thornton is in the top 10 a year after switching. Scott Waites made the final of the Grand slam and Tony O'Shea put up a better performance than anyone else against Taylor in it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadend View Post
    Well they say that every year, Whitlock and Webster made it to the semi's of the PDC this year, and Whitlock to the final obviously, having only switched from BDO. Outside of Taylor the top few in the the BDO could easily compete with the PDC. King made top 5 in his first year after his switch, Thornton is in the top 10 a year after switching. Scott Waites made the final of the Grand slam and Tony O'Shea put up a better performance than anyone else against Taylor in it.
    Its true that players have played well after the switch but all of them have become full time players and practice accordingly. Anyway all PDC players over 35 came from the bdo in the first place. Taylor would have won the Bdo final 7-0 last night even though it was a enjoyable game to watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    A good final, I don't know what the averages were at the end but Adams was over 100 at one stage anyway. Taylor is obviously a step above but once the averages are well in the 90s, the matches are perfectly watchable. The odd double top, double 10, double 5, double 2, double 1 leg adds to the drama too.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    not sure taylor would have won 7-0 last night
    great final though
    wouldn't be surprised to see chisnal switch to the pdc
    any reason why the likes of o'shea adams and hankey wont switch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    They're always talking about Adams as the England captain, he might be more interested in that side of the game.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    A bit gutted that Chessy didnt win but he is def a name to watch out for.
    Actually thought that the final wasnt as high of quality that it could, they both needed at least 6 chances to get out, which would def be punished by a PDC player IMHO.
    But really enjoyed the darts, pity it isnt on the box all the time - ok now onto the snooker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast