Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 36 of 60 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Barstool facepalm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz
    Do they try to help? Popular opinion seems to that they don't but that's easy to say.
    It might be popular opinion, that doesn't mean it's correct.

Everyone is aghast at the state of the economy, not accepting that it was partly their fault it is in it's current state. Popular opinion is it's all the fault of Bertie, Cowen, McCreevy, TD's, Drumm, Fitzpatrick, and a select handful of other individuals, rather than the nation as a whole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    It might be popular opinion, that doesn't mean it's correct.

Everyone is aghast at the state of the economy, not accepting that it was partly their fault it is in it's current state. Popular opinion is it's all the fault of Bertie, Cowen, McCreevy, TD's, Drumm, Fitzpatrick, and a select handful of other individuals, rather than the nation as a whole.
    I know all that regards popular opinion, reason I said "but that's easy to say." Have you an answer to the question, do the try to help and can you elaborate a bit on that please?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Actually, that award seems to be a small coffin in a box. Anyone able to make out what's written on it? Probably something celebrating the demise of Irish football as barstoolers embrace corporate clubs from across the sea.
    I thought a coffin too Seriously though. I've read on the next two pages and still nobody has identified the piece of tat they presented Ole. The only man prepared for that photo is Ole. The rest is chaos and quite honestly hilarious. There'll be factions in the group over the state of that picture.

So you have to imagine the excitement and enthusiasm that went into this. So Ole Gunnar Solskaer is coming to Sligo. We'll have to present him with something. A sod of turf? A miniature coffin?
    Find me on Twitter @ImRedLen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Holy feck, tearing out my hair at the stupidity of a friend of mine, who is absolutely adamant that Harps wouldn't even beat a Donegal League team. That the Donegal League is of a higher standard than the League of Ireland First Division.

The Donegal League....which isn't even anywhere near the best junior league in the country.

I get that a lot, people often tell me (insert Leinster Senior league side) would hammer Pats. Dodge can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't Pats have ever lost to a non league side in a Cup competition

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,265 Posts
    Yeah, yourselves and us are the two main league clubs with that record (not counting clubs who've joined in the past few years).

Whatever about Pat's, when they can't beat us, you know it's nonsense.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    I imagine its a common experience everywhere. I've heard Pike Rovers fans insist they're above Limerick FC repeatedly over the years.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I imagine its a common experience everywhere. I've heard Pike Rovers fans insist they're above Limerick FC repeatedly over the years.
    Because all of their players are clearly playing for the love of Pike Rovers, when they could be earning money doing the exact same thing for Limerick. It's very noble when you stop and think about it.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Because all of their players are clearly playing for the love of Pike Rovers, when they could be earning money doing the exact same thing for Limerick. It's very noble when you stop and think about it.
    Capitalism corrupts the soul. The freedom from financial rewards means the Pike players are free to express themselves creatively in a way Messi himself could only dream of.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    I get that a lot, people often tell me (insert Leinster Senior league side) would hammer Pats. Dodge can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't Pats have ever lost to a non league side in a Cup competition
    Not in the FAI Cup.

Everyone, at every level of football, overestimates how good they are. The lower you go, the higher the over-estimation
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Dundalk are proud to hold the record for losses to non-league opposition in the FAI Cup [six if you’re asking].
    The Leinster Cup record is even better…minnows (giant-killers?) have clocked up ten victories!!
    Beat that!

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Pre-season game and........ you have to pay to see it online.

http://www.tv.manutd.com/

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    What's that have to do with barstoolers?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    maybe they prefer to be 'Pikeys' than 'Lims'

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    You have to admit though it's great to finally have a home Liverpool game to go to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I thought Celtic were at home? Or are both we and them at home?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Oh we're both at home. It'll be great to see the two most Irish sides ever finally play in Ireland!

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I thought Celtic were at home? Or are both we and them at home?
    It's basically the same as when AC Milan play Inter Milan. Home vs home. A win win situation for the whole of Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I think the existence of this thread shows a big problem for the League. When can we get away from the attitude of "No one likes us, we don't care" to recognising that "barstoolers" can range from people who "wouldn't watch that shíte if it was on in my back garden" to the cohort of people who could be encouraged to go to games if the quality of stadia was improved?

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hedderman View Post
    I think the existence of this thread shows a big problem for the League. When can we get away from the attitude of "No one likes us, we don't care" to recognising that "barstoolers" can range from people who "wouldn't watch that shíte if it was on in my back garden" to the cohort of people who could be encouraged to go to games if the quality of stadia was improved?
    The way I see it, true barstoolers are only those in the first category. "Die hard" Man City fans in it for the glory and the association, however tenuous, with success and glamour. The sort who'd never dream of darkening the turnstile at an LOI ground.

For me, the quality of stadia is a pretty poor excuse anyway.

All a football ground actually needs to be good are enough seats, relatively unobstructed lines of sight, enough clean toilets (okay, the Carlisle is shocking in this respect), reasonable food nearby or in the ground, turnstiles and ticket offices you don't have to queue for an hour to get through, and ideally a roof over enough of the stand for people to shelter when it gets rainy. Many LOI clubs already have most of that, and the ones who have all of it already (Tallaght, Dalyer, the Showgrounds, Turner's Cross, even the Belfield Bowl) are hardly bursting at the seams, in spite of being of just as good a quality as any ground I've been to in England or Scotland, only a bit smaller.

What people mean when they say the grounds aren't good enough is either they live in Drogheda, or that they want a fully-covered, 30,000 seater stadium with big screens, executive suites, fancy advertising everywhere, aeroplane seats in the dugouts, and floodlights stolen from NASA. Things that make little to no practical difference to the average fan's experience of the game they're watching, but things that do add to the glitz and glamour they crave.

26. Thanks From:

Page 36 of 60 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast