Thread: Player eligibility row

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Why would you want to do that??
    well Ive always fancied playing international football but my problem is that I was always crap so I just figure at the rate they are losing players they might gladly take anyone
    Its really not that complicated!!!

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Can't really blame those players switching as nationalists in the North feel more comfortable supporting Ireland going to home games in Dublin

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    So why not become a citizen of Montserrat or Bhutan??

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    So why not become a citizen of Montserrat or Bhutan??
    Im just like Bergkamp.... hate flying
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    "There are definitely a lot. I can't name them because that wouldn't be right, but it is what they want to do. A lot will want to change and a lot won't, but I have made my decision and that is it for me."
    This quote made me think. In the unlikely event that the IFA win their CAS case, there could potentially be dozens of people choosing to make the switch at once. I would imagine a lot of kids choose to play for NI at underage level, but have no intention of playing a game that will tie them to the north. I appreciate that its no harder to get from Britain to Dublin than Belfast, but playing for the North allows them a couple of nights staying at home with their families and their mothers cooking, which can't be underated for a 16 year old living in England with limited opportunites to get home.

Presumably if the CAS ruled in favour of the IFA there would be a final opportunity for people to make the switch. That could be devestating for the NI underage setup.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    This quote made me think. In the unlikely event that the IFA win their CAS case, there could potentially be dozens of people choosing to make the switch at once. I would imagine a lot of kids choose to play for NI at underage level, but have no intention of playing a game that will tie them to the north. I appreciate that its no harder to get from Britain to Dublin than Belfast, but playing for the North allows them a couple of nights staying at home with their families and their mothers cooking, which can't be underated for a 16 year old living in England with limited opportunites to get home.

Presumably if the CAS ruled in favour of the IFA there would be a final opportunity for people to make the switch. That could be devestating for the NI underage setup.
    I don't see why players would necessarily be designated a final opportunity or cut-off point by which to switch if the practice was already ruled to be contrary to the rules. I'd imagine it would be halted immediately from the date of the ruling. Anyway, I don't think it's worth your while thinking about it. The IFA simply aren't going to win their case because they're bringing it to CAS on a misapprehension of the concept of nationality (generally used as a singular and also to be read as a singular in FIFA's rules), as distinct from dual or multiple nationalities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but from the Herald's piece on Duffy, it sounds like the IFA have lodged a complaint to the CAS concerning the 'poaching' of Duffy as well as the dispute with Kearns. Surely that's a mistake?

Irish unearth a gem in Duffy

Duffy, however, was born in Derry, and is therefore technically (however sadly) a native of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So until a decision is reached by the Swiss-based body, the Court of Arbitration on Sport (CAS) on his eligibility after the IFA in Belfast complained about the Republic's 'poaching' of the player, he's unable to play in any official games at any level for the FAI.
    We don't know when that case will be heard -- though CAS will hear the case involving another Northern-born defector to the south, West Ham's Belfast-born striker Daniel Kearns later this summer (July 19). It is hard to see CAS coming up with any decision which would stop Duffy from playing for the Republic as he qualifies through his Letterkenny-born dad no matter what.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    What is the point in the CAS looking at the Duffy case? The FAI and IFA come off very badly with this whole charade. We don't need courts to come up with a working compromise. Perhaps something like this:

1) IFA recognises the right of players born in Northern Ireland to represent (the Republic of) Ireland in accordance with their birthright to Irish citizenship.

2) The FAI recognises the hardwork needed to develop young players and the frustration of the IFA and Northern Ireland fans when a player makes his way through the underage setup, only then to switch allegience. The FAI agrees not to pick any player who has already represented NI at U21 level or above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    What is the point in the CAS looking at the Duffy case? The FAI and IFA come off very badly with this whole charade. We don't need courts to come up with a working compromise. Perhaps something like this:
    I strongly suspect that the IFA are simply holding up proceedings at a bureacratic level, because whatever hopes they have with Kearns at the CAS, they can't possibly have any hope with Duffy. Let's remember, it was the IFA who took the case to the CAS

1) IFA recognises the right of players born in Northern Ireland to represent (the Republic of) Ireland in accordance with their birthright to Irish citizenship.
    Simple, I know.

2) The FAI recognises the hardwork needed to develop young players and the frustration of the IFA and Northern Ireland fans when a player makes his way through the underage setup, only then to switch allegience. The FAI agrees not to pick any player who has already represented NI at U21 level or above.
    This 'hardwork' idea is a bit of a ruse to be honest. The FAI should not need to make such concessions unless the rest of the football world is forced to.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but from the Herald's piece on Duffy, it sounds like the IFA have lodged a complaint to the CAS concerning the 'poaching' of Duffy as well as the dispute with Kearns. Surely that's a mistake?

Duffy, however, was born in Derry, and is therefore technically (however sadly) a native of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So until a decision is reached by the Swiss-based body, the Court of Arbitration on Sport (CAS) on his eligibility after the IFA in Belfast complained about the Republic's 'poaching' of the player, he's unable to play in any official games at any level for the FAI.
    We don't know when that case will be heard -- though CAS will hear the case involving another Northern-born defector to the south, West Ham's Belfast-born striker Daniel Kearns later this summer (July 19). It is hard to see CAS coming up with any decision which would stop Duffy from playing for the Republic as he qualifies through his Letterkenny-born dad no matter what.
    I’m fairly sure that Shane Duffy is not mentioned in the IFA’s appeal to the CAS in July. Duffy is still waiting on his clearance papers from FIFA to validate his appearing for Ireland.

Shane Duffy : "I don't know the actual story but I'll find out on Friday. So far the international clearance hasn't come through, so hopefully I've impressed enough there to earn a call-up for next year," he said.

Shane McEleney from Derry is named in the u19 squad for the upcoming elite qualifiers, so there does not seem to an embargo on six county-born players continuing to represent Ireland while the IFA grand wizard and his gang go marching to Switzerland to complain to CAS.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    This 'hardwork' idea is a bit of a ruse to be honest. The FAI should not need to make such concessions unless the rest of the football world is forced to.
    Of course the FAI shouldn't be forced to make this concession, but I think as a voluntary act of good-will it will help in repairing FAI/IFA relations and could also put the whole matter to rest if the IFA is satisfied that there is no threat to it remaining a viable seperate football association.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by co. down green View Post
    I’m fairly sure that Shane Duffy is not mentioned in the IFA’s appeal to the CAS in July. Duffy is still waiting on his clearance papers from FIFA to validate his appearing for Ireland.
    Yeah, I sense that might be the case and I understand it does take a while. These news reports of it being held up pending the outcome of the CAS case have me confused.

Shane Duffy : "I don't know the actual story but I'll find out on Friday. So far the international clearance hasn't come through, so hopefully I've impressed enough there to earn a call-up for next year," he said.
    He seems so relieved that everything is finally in motion, ha!
    "I just wanted to get out there and play and I think I did OK," said Duffy. "It was a big thing for me to come down here and play for the Republic. It's something I always wanted to do and the lads in the squad and the staff were great with me, they really helped me settle in."
    But no, of course he's not being honest and this is just a PR stunt and NI fans will argue that he had to be persuaded against his will to opt to play for Ireland.

Shane McEleney from Derry is named in the u19 squad for the upcoming elite qualifiers, so there does not seem to an embargo on six county-born players continuing to represent Ireland while the IFA grand wizard and his gang go marching to Switzerland to complain to CAS.
    Isn't Kearns also included? It's interesting that he is allowed to continue, what with him being the scapegoat. Maybe it's FIFA's way of saying the rules won't be changed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Of course the FAI shouldn't be forced to make this concession, but I think as a voluntary act of good-will it will help in repairing FAI/IFA relations and could also put the whole matter to rest if the IFA is satisfied that there is no threat to it remaining a viable seperate football association.
    I don't think it should even be a voluntary concession or 'act of good-will'. FIFA recently changed the rules, making them considerably more relaxed to facilitate one change of association regardless of previous international honours (except senior, of course) and these rules will be used to the favour of all associations, including the IFA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Speaking of Daniel Kearns, I see he is down as a West Ham player on the FAI website.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...r-19&Itemid=12

Was he not released??

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/spo...to_leave_club/
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts

"Duffy, however, was born in Derry, and is therefore technically (however sadly) a native of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."

I don't think whoever wrote that piece can bluntly put it in such simple terms as that. Technically, he's also a "native", or national at least - which is what is relevant here - of Ireland and has been ever since his birth.

If the IFA have lodged a complaint over Duffy specifically, just to hold up what is an inevitable outcome seeing as his father's from Donegal, that's a disgrace and smacks of throwing a spanner in the works out of pettiness. Surely, that isn't the case though. They'd know they'd have nothing to gain from it; only bad press and riling up Duffy and others like him, which wouldn't be such a good move given what Duffy had to say about half his former team-mates wanting to make the same switch he made.

I think it has to be just ignorant journalists trying to stir a bit of tension. As has been pointed out, there is no embargo on northern-born players playing for us even whilst the result of the CAS case is still pending. Things are proceeding as normal and will do because CAS are a serious body; the don't do surprises, magic or jokes. Kearns is still fine to play for us as he already has clearance. I think it's just a matter of FIFA clearing Duffy the same as they would any player who requests a switch of association. The process probably just takes a bit of time as he's already represented one association before this, plus they may well have a bit of a backlog of players to deal with given the number of players and associations utilising this rule to their advantage before the fast-approaching World Cup squad deadline of June the 1st. Maybe they're giving those applications precedence. Who knows? I certainly can't imagine the delay is down to some uncertainty or reluctance on FIFA's part; probably just down to normal bureaucratic procedures or whatever which will naturally take a bit of time.

Anyhow, he sounds like an exciting prospect from the report. All looking positive.
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 19/05/2010 at 4:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Isn't Kearns also included? It's interesting that he is allowed to continue, what with him being the scapegoat. Maybe it's FIFA's way of saying the rules won't be changed.
    Totally missed Kearns inclusion in the squad

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    FIFA has already given permission for Kearns to switch. It is possible there is an enforced delay on any other applications since the IFA lodged their appeals case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Who would be enforcing that? CAS upon FIFA, or FIFA upon the FAI even? I suppose you can't rule it out, but it just wouldn't make sense to me.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    CAS would have nothing to do with that.
    I am just saying that FIFA have to stand by their decision to allow Kearns to switch, anything else would be perceived to be a weakness. They will defend that decision in the CAS appeals sitting. So nothing special can be read into Kearns being included in the u19 squad.
    But if there is some undue delay with other switch applications since the IFA appeal was lodged, I think it makes sense to interpret that it could well be FIFA just shoving them aside, as per their usual act of caution, when there is an official appeal lodged against them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    But if there is some undue delay with other switch applications since the IFA appeal was lodged, I think it makes sense to interpret that it could well be FIFA just shoving them aside, as per their usual act of caution, when there is an official appeal lodged against them.
    It's just odd seeing as Duffy's circumstances are different from Gibson's and surely FIFA are aware of this. Or, at least, the FAI should have made them aware that he qualifies to play for us via a path that isn't under dispute from the IFA. Then again, who knows what FIFA would be at?

Edit: And the FAI, for that matter.
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 21/05/2010 at 3:47 AM.

Page 40 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast