Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: League Cup shenanigans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Oh I also forgot to mention that Waterford and not Bohs are the ones going for a treble this season!
    Aon, dó, trí, bhí mé i mo luí, thit mé den leaba, he! he! he!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    509 Posts
    quadrouple actually!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Yeah but I can't spell that word!
    Aon, dó, trí, bhí mé i mo luí, thit mé den leaba, he! he! he!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    From the 'Derry Journal' today

McDaid won't bow to Bohs

Published Date: 22 September 2009

DERRY CITY chairman Mr. Pat McDaid has revealed the Brandywell club stood firm over its decision to stage the re-scheduled Premier Division clash with Bohemians next Tuesday night despite protests from 'Gypsies' boss, Pat Fenlon.

The Dubliner had suggested he was given assurances from Abbottstown that the fixture, originally scheduled to be played this Friday, would be re-set to accommodate Bohemians’ involvement in Saturday’s EA Cup Final against Waterford United at the Regional Sports Complex.

However, in a direct response to Fenlon’s comments the FAI yesterday released a statement denying there was any such assurance regarding the re-scheduled game and confirmed the match will go ahead next Tuesday night as planned.

With the onus on the home side to reschedule the fixture, Mr McDaid revealed that Derry City had refused to move the game from next Tuesday night and the FAI agreed.

“The only game that concerned us was the game this Friday night but that can't go ahead,” said Mr McDaid. “As the home team, we rescheduled that game to next Tuesday.

“Bohemians are not happy about it, they feel it’s unfair on them, however, my priority is to Derry City and not Bohemians. Last year when we won the League Cup we had to go to Cork to play an FAI Cup replay; after Europe we had to travel to Dublin for Sunday matches - this has happened to everyone.

“We have three fixtures in the space of six days in the next few weeks - the same as Bohemians - but we refused to move from our stance and the FAI agreed.

“Tuesday night was available for us and the FAI have confirmed the game, regardless of what way Bohs approach the League Cup final - that’s none of our business.”

Former Derry City boss, Fenlon has now stated he will field a reserve team in Saturday’s televised League Cup Final after his club have been ordered to play their league clash with the ‘Candy Stripes’ just three days later.

The reigning Premier Division champions are then scheduled to play what could be a title decider against second placed Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght the following Friday night.

“We are going to have to look at this situation,” said Fenlon. “Without being disrespectful to the League Cup or to Waterford, or EA, I don’t think it’s going to be the kind of game they’re expecting.

“What’s the point in protesting? You’re talking to the wall, so there’s no point. It dosen’t surprise me. The problem is that you have to take into account what you’re asking the players to do and it’s dangerous.

“That’s what people have to take into account from a safety point of view. You’re asking players to travel to games the length and breadth of the country.

“The Waterford game is on a Saturday, not a Friday and we’ve given up a home advantage to go to Waterford to make a spectacle of the game I believe. But what can I do? It dosen’t surprise me.

“Nothing surprises me about decisions that are being made. It’s like moving the chairs around, you’ve still got the small people running it.

It’s not going to change.”

Fenlon refused to reveal what top individual in the FAI gave him an assurance that the Derry game would be moved; “No I’m not going to say, I got a fine for talking my mind on MNS show so I won’t give people the credence to go and fine me again.

“We haven’t got any money here so I’ll have to pay that myself but it’s very disappointing the way we’ve been treated. To be treated the way we’ve been is scandalous.”
    So there we have it...the Fenlon version, the FAI version and now the DCFC version

What's missing now is the Bohs board version...
    Last edited by VinnyDCFC; 22/09/2009 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufil View Post
    Oh I also forgot to mention that Waterford and not Bohs are the ones going for a treble this season!
    Quadruple actually.

But i'll gladly take promotion instead!!
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyDCFC View Post
    From the 'Derry Journal' today

So there we have it...the Fenlon version, the FAI version and now the DCFC version

What's missing now is the Bohs board version...
    Yep. As I said previously I hope Derry City never have the cheek in the future to seek an "accomadation!" around fixtures.
    Fair dues on looking after themselves... much as Ollie Byrne did and Tom Coughlan did and.....
    Such narrowminded thinking is what is so detrimental to the game here. Result - Devalued League Cup final, unfair League advantage, Yes a great result for football in Ireland

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Yep. As I said previously I hope Derry City never have the cheek in the future to seek an "accomadation!" around fixtures.
    Fair dues on looking after themselves... much as Ollie Byrne did and Tom Coughlan did and.....
    Such narrowminded thinking is what is so detrimental to the game here. Result - Devalued League Cup final, unfair League advantage, Yes a great result for football in Ireland
    I think you might be taking this a teeny bit too far.

The price of success is a lot of fixtures. That's not Derry's fault, or the FAI's fault, it's just up to Bohs to deal with.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Its only fair to Rovers AND Bohs AND ourselves that we look after our own interests. Shoe on the other foot and Rovers would be going mad.

But its an extremely pleasurable by-product to give Fenlon a little bit of his own medicine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I think you might be taking this a teeny bit too far.

The price of success is a lot of fixtures. That's not Derry's fault, or the FAI's fault, it's just up to Bohs to deal with.
    the fact is this issue was avoidable (and still is !) by simply rearranging one fixture (notwithstanding the FAI - but should expect nothing more from these charlatans). There is no reason why football should not be played on an equitable basis (a level playing field ) and every reason why it should but this is not the case here.
    bearing in mind that the idiotic 65% rule introduced by the same FAI has led to smaller squads the attitude by them to this case is even more disgraceful (but as I said Delaney got an advantage for Waterford so what else matters ?).
    Back in the "bad old days" the League management was inept. It appears under the FAI "guidance" it is more corrupt than inept (not just this case but the overall A la carte approach to rules applied).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Tuesday night gives Bohs three days to recover from a match against a First Division team which half their first team will be rested for anyway... when do they want to play it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Its only fair to Rovers AND Bohs AND ourselves that we look after our own interests. Shoe on the other foot and Rovers would be going mad.

But its an extremely pleasurable by-product to give Fenlon a little bit of his own medicine.
    And as I said next time round some team will give Derry "a little bit of his own medicine" .... an eye for an eye etc etc. just as well that "me fein" attitude was not taking by LOI clubs accepting in teams from a foreign juristiction was'nt it ?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    There is no reason why football should not be played on an equitable basis (a level playing field ) and every reason why it should but this is not the case here.
    You think Derry should change the fixture even though changing it would give Bohs a better chance of beating them?

As SkStu has said, everybody in this is looking out for themselves - Bohs want to be in a better (fresher) position to play Derry, and Derry want to have the best chance to beat Bohs. The FAI want a cup final in Waterford. Nobody, including Bohs (and despite Fenlon's comments about wanting to make thecup final a spectacle) is being altruistic here.

To try and equate what Derry are doing here with the two names mentioned is pathetic.
    Last edited by osarusan; 23/09/2009 at 1:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    You think Derry should change the fixture even though changing it would give Bohs a better chance of beating them?

As SkStu has said, everybody in this is looking out for themselves - Bohs want to be in a better (fresher) position to play Derry, and Derry want to have the best chance to beat Bohs. The FAI want a cup final in Waterford. Nobody, including Bohs (and despite Fenlon's comments about wanting to make thecup final a spectacle) is being altruistic here.
    (A) Nobody claimed they were. Bohs reason was acknowledged early in the thread (by Bohs fans)
    (B) The only party LOSING here are Bohs (the FAI get Delaneys (sorry, the FAI) wish and Derry get whatever advantage accrues). Bohs LOSE the chance (or certainly have less chance) to win the cup and get a DISADVANTAGE in travelling to three games in six days.

The fact is this situation was avoidable had the so called authorities sought to facilitate ALL parties but once Waterford were "looked after".....

The bottom line is that the FAI interferred to promote the interest of one club over another and that is corruption in a football context. If the FAI confirm that nobody phoned Bohs RE conceeding the home advantage then I will be happy to withdraw the point. otherwise it is as stated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    the fact is this issue was avoidable (and still is !) by simply rearranging one fixture (notwithstanding the FAI - but should expect nothing more from these charlatans). There is no reason why football should not be played on an equitable basis (a level playing field ) and every reason why it should but this is not the case here.
    bearing in mind that the idiotic 65% rule introduced by the same FAI has led to smaller squads the attitude by them to this case is even more disgraceful (but as I said Delaney got an advantage for Waterford so what else matters ?).
    Back in the "bad old days" the League management was inept. It appears under the FAI "guidance" it is more corrupt than inept (not just this case but the overall A la carte approach to rules applied).
    I'm not going to comment on the rest as I think enough has already been said but what I will say is us playing at home these days is not necessarily an advantage. Out of the 36 games we have played to date this season we have won 11 at home and 14 away, drawn 3 at home and 4 away, lost 3 at home and only one away so our away record is better than our home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    To try and equate what Derry are doing here with the two names mentioned is pathetic.
    On numerous occasions I recall ollie Byrne (RIP) justify his position on representing Shels, It was narrow minded then and is narrow minded now. How can Derry look to be facilitated over fixtures again when they refuse a request from another club ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewater View Post
    I'm not going to comment on the rest as I think enough has already been said but what I will say is us playing at home these days is not necessarily an advantage. Out of the 36 games we have played to date this season we have won 11 at home and 14 away, drawn 3 at home and 4 away, lost 3 at home and only one away so our away record is better than our home.
    So now Waterford would be better off playing away ? We know Bohs would prefer Dalymount, so simple solution - move the final, problem solved won't hold breath though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    (B) The only party LOSING here are Bohs

The fact is this situation was avoidable had the so called authorities sought to facilitate ALL parties but once Waterford were "looked after".....
    As I made clear in an earlier post, I agree with all of this, but as should be obvious to anybody looking at it honestly, none of it is Derry's fault. You are the one insulting them and suggesting that they somehow owe you a favour because they joined the FAI decades ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    As I made clear in an earlier post, I agree with all of this, but as should be obvious to anybody looking at it honestly, none of it is Derry's fault. You are the one insulting them and suggesting that they somehow owe you a favour because they joined the FAI decades ago.
    Where did I suggest they owed Bohs anything ? I responded to Derry claim they were "looking after themselves" by saying how clubs down here (hardly just Bohs) did not adopt that attitude when Derry sought to join the League.
    For the record, I believe Derry add to the League and owe nothing to any club for their presense.
    The current attitude of Derry (on this issue) is unhelpfull but far from unique and as I said this type of negitivety has, in my opinion, hindered the League for years.
    If you disagree with this view fine, but don't make up arguments on my behalf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    So now Waterford would be better off playing away ? We know Bohs would prefer Dalymount, so simple solution - move the final, problem solved won't hold breath though.
    Possibly and no I wouldn't be holding my breath either for it to be changed I know it's put a dampner of the final for ye but I'm looking forward to a good game with a good crowd. I know our tickets have nearly sold out if not sold out already (would love to know where all these people are all season long ). How are the Bohs allocation going do ye know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    The current attitude of Derry (on this issue) is unhelpful but far from unique and as I said this type of negitivity has, in my opinion, hindered the League for years.
    Imagine evil Derry wanting to give themselves the best possible chance of beating a team who has made a deal with the FAI (which was wrongly and unfairly reneged on by the FAI)to give them the best chance of beating Derry!!

On numerous occasions I recall ollie Byrne (RIP) justify his position on representing Shels, It was narrow minded then and is narrow minded now.
    Was it narrow-minded of Bohs to give away the possibility of home advantage against Waterford in order to be in a better condition to play Derry?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast