Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1122

Thread: Attendances 2014

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Cork's support doubled. Limerick's support halved. I'd see Limerick's as the most disappointing. Facilities definitely not to blame. Their city and county have not gotten behind the club. If the return to the Markets Field does not ignite interest, it's hard to see what will.

What's the highest average recorded over the last 15 year's?
    It's a title run or nothing else. MF will just be as the first year back in the premier: novelty will bring a brief surge, then back to the status quo. It's depressing to see the lack of interest from such a significant urban area, but that number is basically what the reliable support is.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel
    Its disappointing to note that 9 of the 12 PD clubs showed decreases,
    It's more disappointing to note that only 5 of 19 clubs (Galway and Rovers B not included) showed an increase in attendances, two of those the champions of each respective division.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    very interesting stuff Nigel. would you be willing to share your data source, I see a trend or two in those figures and I wonder do they bear out across all games or are they isolated to the top 10, I'd rather not go through the whole thread if I can avoid it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Limerick people are no more or less interested in LoI football than Dublin people, or Cork people, or Galway people, or Waterford people imo.

No ones gonna be interested in watching the absolute ****e we produced for most of the year. We even lost an awful lot of what I'd call semi regulars by the end of the season,never mind casual support.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Cork's support doubled. Limerick's support halved. I'd see Limerick's as the most disappointing. Facilities definitely not to blame. Their city and county have not gotten behind the club. If the return to the Markets Field does not ignite interest, it's hard to see what will.

What's the highest average recorded over the last 15 year's?
    If Lims play like they did for the last 1/3 of the season they'll bring the fans back. Taylor had them playing well below their abilities, so if Russell is backed to bring in some good players I think they'll play ball people want to pay to see. I think next season they'll have more big home games, which will push the average up a little.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    very interesting stuff Nigel. would you be willing to share your data source, I see a trend or two in those figures and I wonder do they bear out across all games or are they isolated to the top 10, I'd rather not go through the whole thread if I can avoid it!
    For a long time, I emailed clubs asking for attendance figures, but largely to no avail. More recently, I've relied heavily on this thread and any official attendance given in media, newspapers and Extratime mostly, as well as a few officials of different clubs on Facebook who have been most helpful. I tend to trawl back through the threads here a lot to find any sort of attendances. The likes of Oriel, trevvy and forzayouths have been great help over the season when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    For a long time, I emailed clubs asking for attendance figures, but largely to no avail. More recently, I've relied heavily on this thread and any official attendance given in media, newspapers and Extratime mostly, as well as a few officials of different clubs on Facebook who have been most helpful. I tend to trawl back through the threads here a lot to find any sort of attendances. The likes of Oriel, trevvy and forzayouths have been great help over the season when it comes to this sort of thing.
    I understand that, LOI clubs don't do the simple stuff they could be doing. If you have collected the attendances in one spreadsheet or something could you share that with me though? If I have to I'll go through the 51 pages of this thread to pick them all up, but if they work has already been done I'd rather not duplicate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I understand that, LOI clubs don't do the simple stuff they could be doing. If you have collected the attendances in one spreadsheet or something could you share that with me though? If I have to I'll go through the 51 pages of this thread to pick them all up, but if they work has already been done I'd rather not duplicate it.
    PM me on your email address and I'll share the doc with you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Limerick people are no more or less interested in LoI football than Dublin people, or Cork people, or Galway people, or Waterford people imo.
    I suppose. Still a disappointment whatever the reason that support has fallen away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    I suppose. Still a disappointment whatever the reason that support has fallen away.
    Support falls because they had little to play for the whole season. Taylor didn't play an exciting brand of football either. It's all well and good having great facilities like Thomond but if the product on offer is defective then people won't come back.
    Limerick as a city is an oddity in itself. It is home to strong junior football sides, huge rugby clubs and the Munster franchise, and that's not considering the GAA clubs there. Hopefully Russell will get a good team. Like Dundalk Limerick have probably lost out on a generation of supporters considering how long it is since they last won anything. Them it is also like a cork in having different clubs throughout the years either being Limerick City, united, 37 it doesn't help.

How long has it been since Limerick played in Market Fields? Personally I never heard of it since the redevelopment plans were being concocted
    Last edited by jinxy lilywhite; 06/11/2014 at 12:02 PM.
    Long Live King Kenny

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    It's been 20 odd years since Limerick last played in the markets field.

Crowds were poor last season because as usual we started poor and when the crowds stopped coming by mid-season we got stronger and brought in quality, which was way too late.

The key to us getting crowds in next season is signing good quality players and playing decent football in the markets field. The reality is the budget will be way down, the quality we have will be leaving and the Markets Field as it stands will be an awful ground to watch football in. Russell has a massive task and unless he can do a Stephen Kenny on it we should be one of the favourites to go down.
    Last edited by Jofspring; 06/11/2014 at 2:40 PM.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Oh I reckon limerick will be way ahead of Galway, Longford and Bray. Possibly bohs then Drogheda and yourselves.
    Though with a friendly cup draw you never know.
    Long Live King Kenny

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    It's been 20 odd years since Limerick last played in the markets field.
    1983-ish?
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donie Forde View Post
    1983-ish?
    remember readin Longford Town playin there in 84/85 season. think Limerick moved shortly after that!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    On the wiki entry for Limerick, states the last game was on the 22 April 1984, when Limerick City won the LOI Shield. Last league game was a few weeks before that as Finn Harps won 2-0.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    On the wiki entry for Limerick, states the last game was on the 22 April 1984, when Limerick City won the LOI Shield. Last league game was a few weeks before that as Finn Harps won 2-0.
    Yeah, that would be right, Boss. Cork City came into the League in 1984-85 and all those early games versus Limerick (City) were at Rathbane. CCFC have never played at the Market's Field, so that will be a new venue for our club.
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    (ignore!)
    Last edited by seand; 07/11/2014 at 7:48 AM. Reason: error

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Missing the following figures from the last couple of games:

Bray v Derry
    Derry v Athlone
    Limerick v Athlone
    Limerick v Sligo

Still missing these figures, if anyone can help, that'd be greatly appreciated. If any fans at one of the above games can give an honest estimate, that'd help too as I'm waiting on the final few figures to complete the seasons stats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    http://nifootballdaily.com/News/late...tendances/8312

Interesting to see official figures being released up North.

Just under 1000 on average YTD.

A few of the clubs are from very small communities.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Guess it depends on the area but I'm sure in a lot of places in the North football/'soccer' is the number 1 sport in the community. It's not down here, in terms of attending games anyway.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast